Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

re: Chills and Thrills at the Haunted Derby

Despite the rainy weather, dozens of equestrian fans arrived at the Buckland Faire for this year’s Haunted Derby. A large party tent and generous amounts of ale kept everyone warm and dry. The evening started with a frightful fashion contest. Clairawyn, Craicwyth, Cynbure, Ellasse, Elyita, Fleam and Kikilaa took the stage to show off their creative costumes. Intimidating warriors, witches, a bear and Little Red Riding Hood paraded across the stage to earn votes from the audience. Clairawyn won third place with a classic outfit, Elyita won second place with her fearsome roar, and Fleam won first place and 750 Turbine Points with fairytale charm.

Forum Image

The event continued as fourteen riders registered for a dangerous horse race. The challenging course led through the Old Forest, past Tom Bombadil’s house, into the northern Barrow-downs and back again. The Call to Post summoned everyone to the start line. Fans cheered for Andeon on Annudir, Byrcha on Blueberry, Craicwyth on Wanderer, Cuthrek on Cloudy, Cynbure on Calamity, Dallofin on Barnchaser, Ellasse on Estelglir, Kikilaa on Shooting Star, Koisara on Frosty, Mato on Tatertrot, Rothgardt on Vengeance, Seldora on Lothy, Vethlo on Silver, and Yavril on Arrow.

Forum Image

Horses chomped their bits and pawed the muddy ground in anticipation. A hush fell over the crowd. The sudden sound of a charge heralded the start of the race. Riders spurred their horses, surging forward with grim determination. The sound of clattering hooves could be heard as the group made their way down the road and through the tunnel into the Old Forest. Bats and wolves spooked some of the horses, while the blackened roots of angry trees tripped others. Several riders turned northeast, gambling on a secret path through the heavy forest. The rest risked the winding Withywindle river and a brush with Old Man Willow. The judge on the path at Tom Bombadil’s signaled “all clear” as the riders galloped past, heading up the rocky hills toward the Barrow-downs. The foggy air took on an unnatural chill as the lead riders charged into the land of the dead. Skeletal archers menaced those foolish enough to ride near the stony barrows. After passing the Dead Spire, the riders were glad to be on their way out of Tyrn Gorthad. Struggling to guide their tiring mounts through the difficult landscape, a handful of riders were dismounted on the swampy river banks. Two others became disoriented in the growing darkness and were lost. The lead riders kept a harrowing pace and a cheer was heard as they emerged from the tunnel into Buckland.

Forum Image

Andeon brought Annudir across the finish line first, white flag waving in the wind. He earned 750 Turbine Points for his skill as a jockey. Craicwyth and Dusk-watch steed Wanderer finished in second place, only a handful of lengths behind. Byrcha’s amazing pony Blueberry refused to give up against larger horses and carried his rider into third place. Racing newcomer Koisara and her Lossoth steed came in fourth. This will be a pair to be reckoned with at future races.

Many thanks to our volunteer judges – Anthemisi, Carica, Elyita and Mornawen. These events would not be possible without them. I would also like to thank the musicians who provided entertainment throughout both events. We hope to see you at the next Windy Acres Ranch event, the Wraith Race scheduled for October 24 at 9:30pm /servertime. Meet at 9 Chestnut Street, Raglan, Bree-land.

What a great report!!

Working together we all benefit ~ Aldekim, Brambel - Lonely Mountain Band ~ Doribolger - Harp and Dragon (LMB alt kin) ~ Athilrond, Ahtook, Nellan, Elye, Sylduril, Nitnoy, Elduryl, Dironen - Clan Etal ~ Kaesy - Lonely Mountain Treasures (Byrdie alt kin)
Anthemisi
Anthemisi

Awarded:

Thank you very much for organising too. *hugs*

Officer

Couldnt make this one, but it sounds like I should have!

Master of BOOT,..but otherwise at your service,....And your families.

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

`Tinki` wrote:
Couldnt make this one, but it sounds like I should have!

Indeed! The "bear" actually used emote+motion to "crawl" up on the stage on all fours, and off again the same way. It was very clever! I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with for costumes at the Wraith Race. I hope you'll be there!

Jump to: