Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

re: Formation Riding Team - Second Routine

And now for today's riding team update...

Since we're having the Turkey Chase on Wednesday, I'm going to try and log in another evening this week to work on the routine. I'd like to time it so that I know how long the music needs to be. We'll only need two riders to measure the routine's length. If you happen to be free, let's meet up. I'm going to try and be around Tuesday or Thursday evening.

I would also like to meet you at my house by the ranch. The chest is full up with reputation items. We need to use them and make room for more. Catch me online and we can meet in Raglan, Bree-land homesteads. The more horses we unlock for you, the better!

Has anyone found a really good place for the routine at Thorin's Hall?

Would someone please be kind enough to post an interview?

Awarded:

Just rode around Thorin's a bit ...

The large area in front of the throne in the central hall is not as large as the Horsefields riding area, nor is it entirely free of NPCs. I thought there was a time when both guards cleared, now it looks like they are not on an identical route.

The large frozen pond with the central island, south of the entrance to Thorin's, might be the best bet. But the routine would have to be altered to handle a central-hub obstacle. Also, there is wildlife which would have to be systematically handled during a performance (and practice) so that they don't attack the audience/riders.

Too bad that one NPC is standing out front of the main gate to Thorin's Hall (where you arrive from a port). That area is big enough and has snow for a backdrop. Maybe we could ignore/sidestep the NPC, or somehow incorporate into the routine?

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Tonight is practice!

We really need to settle on the location for the show before practice starts. I have been all around Thorin's Hall but had little luck. The best spot I could find was in front of the throne. The audience could stand on the stairs to one side to watch, the band could be on the stairs just above that. It's very cramped, though. I'm afraid the routine would be over very quickly and not look impressive. I also checked snowy locations around Ered Luin and didn't see anything easy for the audience to get to. So, if you have some free time today, please scout around for a convenient location. We may end up at the Horsefields again, which wouldn't be the end of the world. Any which way, let's please settle this today? Thanks!

Awarded:

Here's quick update -- We'll be performing on the ice lake to the west (?) of the stairs leading to Thorin's Hall. It's the lake with the island in the middle, where you do the icicle quest for Yule fest.

I'm sorry I couldn't make it to practice Wednesday. It was a very busy day. Talos was diagnosed with a bad case of heartworms and started treatment. Apparently he picked them up before we rescued him and they lay dormant for several months. Godchild #2 was born, 6 lbs 15 oz, Mom and baby are healthy and happy. Now there's one little boy (who wants to grow up to be a Jedi who operates trains) and one little girl. I see many Legos in my future...

Unfortunately, I'm also going to miss this coming Wednesday. The Wednesday after that is the Misty Mountain Classic. I will, however, do my best to be online for Saturday practices. I hope you're able to make good progress in my absence.

Here's what still needs to get done -
Once you're able to run the routine fairly smoothly (minimal stops), time it as accurately as possible. Next, start searching for a nice ABC file that uses 1-2 musicians with a holiday theme. It needs to be the same length, or perhaps easily edited to that length.

I'll see you soon!

Awarded:

We had a nice practice on Wednesday, with six riders plus one 'fan'. We'll continue to work at getting the performance down.

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Lhinnthel
Lhinnthel
High Officer

Awarded:

I'm so sorry to hear about the heartworms! But glad to know there is a healthy new baby hobbit! We did have a good practice and as Byrcha said, we seemed to make pretty good progress!

Other games :: GW2 (Fayarra.4827) :: ESO (Fayarra26)
"...the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing:
there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lhinnthel
Lhinnthel
High Officer

Awarded:

I apologize for missing practice tonight! I have a sick kiddo! Hope it went well!

Other games :: GW2 (Fayarra.4827) :: ESO (Fayarra26)
"...the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing:
there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

Bummer about the little one! We did have practice and also timed the routine at just over 4 minutes. So, now we can look for some songs.

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

I'm back in town. Please be patient with me while I catch up on posts and messages.
I'll see you all on Wednesday!

Awarded:

Welcome back Kiralynn. A couple of thoughts from the recent practices:

1) can you update the second-performance formation document to a) make letter-assignments consistent throughout, and/or b) reverse/invert some of the diagrams so that the orientation is consistent (e.g. 'south' is always 'up'). E.g., for Enter and Salute, we are now coming in from the south, which would have D be the lead rider based on how Parting Ways (Row) happens thereafter.

2) We've been experimenting with adding a second set of jumps to the Hedge Jump maneuver: i.e., first pair of jumpers do their jump then set the hedge for the second set. So, first hedge is about 1/3 of the way down the field, second hedge is at 2/3. Of course, this affects the lettering in the diagrams which follow it.

Practice is going well. I think we're getting the hang of it!

Also, it occurs to me, A&T is scheduled for Hunter's Notch in Thorin's Gate for 12/31. Perhaps we could combine with this? Maybe have the Riding Performance early, during Nibbles and Nobs (8:30/9:00), then lead a horse parade up to Hunter's Notch for A&T by 9:30? I think we'll be ready to run the performance by then, but of course 12/31 is also New Year's Eve so it may be difficult to coordinate with that. But it might be a way to draw a crowd.

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Byrcha wrote:
1) can you update the second-performance formation document to a) make letter-assignments consistent throughout

The letters are consistent throughout. The orientation may be what is confusing folks. I'll see what I can do to make it more obvious. Try downloading/printing the image now.

Byrcha wrote:
We've been experimenting with adding a second set of jumps to the Hedge Jump maneuver: i.e., first pair of jumpers do their jump then set the hedge for the second set. So, first hedge is about 1/3 of the way down the field, second hedge is at 2/3. Of course, this affects the lettering in the diagrams which follow it.

That sounds pretty neat!

Byrcha wrote:
Also, it occurs to me, A&T is scheduled for Hunter's Notch in Thorin's Gate for 12/31. Perhaps we could combine with this?

Let me see what I'll be doing on New Year's Eve. There's a good chance I won't be online, but instead will be shooting fireworks for a herd of local children. Is everyone else on the team able to make it?

Awarded:

Here is it again, just to make it easy to find:

Forum Image

Awarded:

Tonight is formation riding practice! If we're going to put on a second show this winter, we'll need to meet tonight to get the ball rolling. In particular, I need to time the routine so that I can put together some ABC music for it. If you're on the team but not in the primary unit, please do show up. We need musicians, people shooting fireworks, and so forth.

If you have free time, scout Frostbluff and see if there is a good (better) place to have the performance. If so, we should move practices right away. Remember, if we move to Frostbluff, we must perform before the end of the year, when the city closes its gates for the season. Performing at Thorin's Hall buys us some time.

Awarded:

We'll be performing at Ales and Tales on Monday, January 28th!

Here is our To-do list:

* See if we can recruit a couple of people to stand in the back corners and shoot fireworks.

* Come up with a third portion of the event to replace the mounted fashion contest we had last time.

* Decide which mounts we want in the horse parade. Is everyone able to get the main 4 yule steeds? What other steeds might we want to show off?

* Do we have suggestions for music to play during the event? It's too late for Christmas music. Do we want something classic, upbeat, rock, folk, etc?

Awarded:

I should be back on Wend - and am mostly over this flu so should be able to actually stay online for more than the time to run the festival dailies!
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: