Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> J.R.R. Tolkien
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lennidhren
RannaDylin
High Officer

Awarded:

re: LMB Book Club, June 5: Leaf by Niggle/Mythopoeia

This weekend we'll start using a regularly scheduled time for Book Club, at 4pm EST on Sunday. That has been the most convenient time over the past weeks, it seems, so I hope all can stil make it then!

We will discuss the short story "Leaf by Niggle" (available here: http://heroicjourneys.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/niggle.pdf ) as well as the poem "Mythopoeia" ( http://home.ccil.org/~cowan/mythopoeia.html ).

Here are some discussion topics:

(1) Leaf by Niggle is a rarity for Tolkien, a true allegory. As such, what do you think the following represent?
-Niggle
-Parish
-the journey Niggle has to make
-the idea that "houses come first"
-the Inspector
-the Driver
-the First and Second Voice
-the workhouse
-Niggle's Parish
-the tree
-a leaf on the tree
-birds in the tree
-the mountains
-the Town Council

(2) A chicken/egg question: Did Niggle subcreate the tree in Niggle's Parish through his painting? Was it always there and his painting was inspired by glimpses of it? Or are both true?

(3) In "On Fairy-Stories" Tolkien defined eucatastrophe as "a sudden and miraculous grace, never to be counted on to recur." Where do we find eucatastrophe in "Leaf by Niggle"?

(4) What does "Leaf by Niggle" imply about the value and function of art? What kind of artist is Niggle?

(5) What does "Mythopoeia" say about the function and effect of naming?

(6) What do we learn about sub-creation in "Mythopoeia"?

(7) What is Tolkien's take on the modern attitude of "progress"?

re: If I remember correctly

Leaf By Niggle is unique in Tolkien's works for being a story that came to him in a dream, which he then wrote down.

Awarded:

Greetings, Bookclubbers....
I am sorry to have to miss this. I have only one batch of grading to go this weekend and it is not going well. I hate teaching summer school, but with pay cuts on the horizon and a painful mortgage payment, I have no choice. I will do my best to join you next week for the Silmarillion.

Regards,
Gaiagil

Being new here, pardon the silly question, but I have to ask; where do we meet for the Book Club? (you provided the time and date, but not the location). I would like to attend eventually, but:

gaiagil wrote:
I have only one batch of grading to go this weekend and it is not going well. I hate teaching summer school, but with pay cuts on the horizon and a painful mortgage payment, I have no choice. I will do my best to join you next week for the Silmarillion

You are not alone in the drudgery of summer school, dear! I am teaching this summer, too. I need the break, but I need the money even more! I feel your pain!

I will have MUCH more free time on my hands in July and I hope to attend the book club then!
Lennidhren
RannaDylin
High Officer

Awarded:

Sorry to miss you, Gaia, and Billing, we'll look forward to seeing you there whenever you can! Where we meet varies...sometimes at the kinhouse or a member's own house, sometimes in a tavern, sometimes with the Hobbit in more adventurous places...

I listened in on todays meeting. I have not read what was discussed, but was impressed with the smarts of those who had read it!

Master of BOOT,..but otherwise at your service,....And your families.

Locney Esgal

Heh. So was I! I'm not sure if I'm counted amid the smart people though.....

I've done extensive research and have come to the conclusion that Sanity is detrimental to Fun and is completely unnecessary for human survival. As man who claims to be a doctor, my semi-professional opinion is to have your Sanity surgically removed at the earliest connivance.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> J.R.R. Tolkien All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: