Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Archives - Old News
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

re: Hobnanigans - Begins May 8

The Hobnanigans game will be open for a few days beginning Thursday, May 8th and continues into the weekend!

Last edited by Kiralynn of Rohan on 2014/08/08 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Oh, that will be exciting! I've never played before but I've heard it was a lot of fun; definitely going to be trying it out. ^^

Landroval: Ethelwar, Miralador, & Miraladis + Nafdun, Rosecreek, Amlorin, & Endalladh at 1 Frothing Road, Hliflak, Thorin's Hall Homestead. Member of The Lonely Mountain Band.

~LOTRO enthusiast since 2012.~
Forte Maestro

Awarded:

Do we know when and where? I'm at Bree Festival Grounds, and don't see a thing.

Awarded:

Hobnanigans will be at the arenas south of the Bree Festival Grounds, aka the Horsefields.

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Rozalinde

I was all set to hate this with a passion. But what do you know... I am LOVING HOBNANIGANS! I had some great games with Lhinnthel last night. wink

I've found it to be the most fun when you run with the same team for a few 6 vs. 6 games in a row. Everyone fellows up, sets up target assists so people can keep track of the chickens (when there is more than one), and chats strategy over Voice. We had a really great thing going for a while. People started settling into "position" roles... some more aggressive players on the team played offense, while a few (like me) hung back and played defense. We'd also have folks (Lhinnthel was very good at this!) who would place themselves by the goals with a hit skill kept off cooldown, in order to receive a chicken-pass from the team and whack it in and score! This sort of strategy makes it a lot more fun and engaging than just... "hey everybody swarm the chicken and randomly whack at it!"

Some unfortunate bugs (like chickens getting stuck on goalposts) prevent this from being a 100% A+ for me. And I feel bad for teams that get stuck with non-participatory teammates. But overall: woohoo!

Lhinnthel
High Officer

Awarded:

Yeah, I love chickens and was worried about how whacking the poor creatures would turn into pure torture for them. However, I love this game and after whacking many... many... chickens last evening with many wonderful folks -- I think the chickens enjoy the game. they really love getting stuck in banners and flying out of the arena to laugh at us. We don't mind though, just pop out a lute, set up a campfire and you've got your own mini party :)

I know where I'll be all weekend :D

Other games :: GW2 (Fayarra.4827) :: ESO (Fayarra26)
"...the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing:
there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Caiyyd

Awarded:

It was fun even though I had no idea what I was doing most of the time. There was no organization when I played - we just whacked away!
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

I haven't been able to play yet. There were two funerals this week. I'm hoping to play a little tonight and more tomorrow. Could someone explain how the game is played? It sounds like all of you already have a lot of practice, and I don't want to be the weak link.

Awarded:

Think "Thorin's Hall Beer Bash" (same hitting animation), but bashing a chicken, not another player. I wouldn't have put it past Turbine that the same tech is involved (cut and pasted into a different zone), just different "rules". Although it is not instanced, if you press "M" for the map while around the field area, you get the large LOTRO map, like you are off-grid.

Basically, Quidditch on the ground, with only beaters and bludgers. Nothing like hockey/soccer - there is no possession, no passing, no checking, no getting in the way of the ball.
Lhinnthel
Lhinnthel
High Officer

Awarded:

Personally, I found the best technique was to stay back a bit and try to keep watch on where the chicken would be landing if/when it got past the horde of players whacking the crap out of it. Many times, saving up your whack as a last defense against it getting through will save it from being a score against the team. Also, I found that being directly in front of the chicken, facing the direction you are trying to whack it is best and least likely to lob it through your own goal posts :P

Otherwise, just run in there and whack it with all you've got!

"...the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing:
there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lilikate

I too was concerned with the harmful effects to the hens when indulging in this particular sport.

I had the best of fun this morning trying it out, I can't wait to join in with a kin team and talking strategy! I win a few games but we didn't have enough folks in the quiet time to make the bigger teams.

I think this could be a weekend to remember!
Lhinnthel
Lhinnthel
High Officer

Awarded:

One more thing I found really helpful - invite your team to a raid, then give everyone a raid marker/symbol thingy. it makes it easy to see where everyone is, and you can find yourself in the mob! Plus, you get to meet all kinds of nice folks as long as you keep it fun and don't care about winning/losing :)

Corulin
Corumael
Pretty Officer

Awarded:

I had so much fun yesterday! :D

Here's a tip though: If you play all day and continue all through the night and into the late morning hours, you'll get worse and worse at it lol I've gotten a few hours of sleep now though. Apparently sleep is needed for the brain to function! surprised No playing Hobnanigans 24/7 *cries* envy

Lhinnthel wrote:
then give everyone a raid marker/symbol thingy.

Great idea, Lhinn!

Awarded:

Did not stomp on shrews and cannot whack chickens.

I could never bring myself to kill the bears and cows in UO for hides either. Sometimes I think I carry my love and respect for all creatures too far.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Archives - Old News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: