Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Character Journals
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

re: Home is Behind

In the hours before dawn, Aedon made a cup of coffee over the small stove in the house that sat close to the shoreline on Belfalas Bay. Taking the cup, he made his way outside and headed to the brick wall at the edge of the yard. Sitting the cup on the wall, he sat down and took the cup in both hands. Holding it close to his face he breathed in deeply, savoring the aroma of the fresh brew. The steam rising from the hot liquated not only carried the nutty scent of the brew, but drifted across his face it a very comforting fashion.

This was a comfort to him in ways that he never could express to others. The smell, the feel, the taste of home. And at this time, home was uppermost on his mind. Taking a deep drink from the cup, he stared out across the bay. The lights on the islands were visible in the foredawn darkness. He recalled the first time he set foot on the parcel of land. This was to be a special spot for him. A place where he could sit down and the waters edge and breathe in the sweet sea air, while feeling the spray on his face. This far removed from the toils of daily life he could let down all pretenses and be himself.

How long has it been now had it been since he really believed he was where he belonged. The purpose that drove his life and stirred him to action were years and so many miles away. And all the peace he ever felt now lay buried in the soil of a small forest glad worlds away from here. How wonderful it would be to once again walk those old familiar paths. To smell the fresh bread baking in the homes of the villagers which lined the well-worn path from Aegis to Emerald Point.

But life goes on, and those dreams once dreamed withered and died, and all that is left to do is either hide away from the world, or stand up, and once again move on not knowing where his first steps on the road would lead him. And why should this be any different? He had never truly known the direction his life would take at any one point. Those matters had long been out of his control. And though each new beginning left him emptier than the time before, he had always managed to find a way to be of service to someone.

Turning to the east, he watched the sun climb higher into the sky, driving before it the shadows of the empty night. Standing slowly, he gave one more glance towards the island just beyond the lighthouse, and then draining his cup, headed back inside. Going to the kitchen, he carefully washed and dried his favorite relic of a home long gone. Then wrapping it in a cloth, tucked it carefully into a pack that sat near the front door. He glanced around one last time before picking up the pack and stepping outside.

He was greeted by a portly man with thinning hair and a widening smile.
“All set then sir?”
In the light of day, it was easy to see that the yard had now been cleared of any decoration or trophy that Aedon had placed there upon first moving in. All that remained was the walls and the trees whose deep roots made moving them more that impossible. Just as well, he thought. I do not think those trees will fit in this pack.

Looking towards the broker Aedon tossed him a set of keys, then bowing slightly, turned and walked down the pathway towards the main road. As he walked, he started first to hum an old song, then singing a few lines of the song, stopped for a moment. For an instance the urge came over him to look back. But looking back had never served him well.

Home is Behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread. Through Shadow, to the edge of night.

Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

There was no hurry to get to where he was going. The walk along the cape was a bit long, and in truth he could have brought his horse or had a cart pack him up. But there was no real hurry to get where he was going. Most of the furniture and such had been moved a few days in advance, and Aedon was sure that by now John would have the place set up as he always did. There was a place for each chair, and tapestry. All rugs and plants were set in the same fashion that they had been placed for years uncounted. All Aedon ever asked was that his chair be placed before a hearth, the old blackthorn side table close at hand.

The sun had climbed high into the azure sky by the time he reached the old lighthouse. Had he chosen to look back, the docks would be but a line in the distance, the Island but a grey shadow set against the surface of the water. But he had stopped looking back many years ago, knowing in his heart, there was nothing there for him to see. All those things that had been so important to him were little more than scars upon his weary heart. And so, he kept his eyes focused on the road ahead.

He stopped for a bit at the small market that was set up in front of the lighthouse. Here he picked up some fresh fruit, a loaf of crusty bread and butter, and an old tome, which for some reason caught his eye. Paying for the items, he stashed them into his pack, and continued on own the road. It was not long till he reached his destination, and made his way up the incline and into the house.

“Honey, I am home.” He said chuckling lightly to himself.

It was a fine house, and in many ways a mirror image of Connemara as she had always been. Walking though the rooms he took note of the care with which all things had been placed. The silence in the building was almost deafening, causing his heart to skip a beat. It was then that he heard the soft call of his cat coming from the far end of a room, near the hearth. Bending down, he greeted Nimbus with a scratch under the chin. The cat purred loudly and waited for her person to take his place in the chair.

Plopping down into the chair, Aedon laid his head against the back, and sighed deeply. Then, opening his pack, he took out the bread, butter and fruit and set them on the table next to him. Then carefully removed and unwrapped his cup. He held it for a moment, and looked at it as though looking at an old and faithful friend. After a while, he set the cup on the table as well saying;

“Well, here we are.”

Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

Stirring a bit, Aedon stretched his legs out and opened his eyes. He was not sure how long he had been sitting there. The only small clue was that the logs in the hearth had burned down to hot ash, and the uncomfortable crick in his neck.

“I must have dozed off a bit.” He said out loud.

The slight snicker coming for the side of the fireplace caused him to turn towards the sound, and the small black cat stretching on the red cushion.

“Dozed off you say? No Aedon, you fell asleep. And not just a light sleep, but one that has lasted more than a day now. The sun has risen and set on your slumber, and had I not fed myself and added a log or two to the fireplace, I would have been very upset with you.”

Shaking his head, a bit, Aedon ran his fingers through his hair and looked at the almost smirking cat.

“Nimbus, you always feed yourself. How did my sleeping inconvenience you at all?

“Well, said the cat. I did have to haul the logs from all the way over there.”

With this he pointed to the logs stacked neatly in a holder right next to the Fireplace.
Shaking his head and laughing a bit he looked at the cat, which was now gracefully stretching on the cushion. He was looking for a clever retort when something else crossed his mind.

“Nimbus, do you always talk to me in this manner?”

“Not at all Aedon, sometimes I am almost rude.” With this the cat seemed to grin in satisfaction.

Reaching to the side table Aedon picked up his coffee cup and looked at the small amount of now cold brew in the bottom. His first thought was to drink it down, but instead he stood up, and walked to the next room to make a fresh pot. The cat slid gracefully off his perch and followed behind the half-awake man.

As the pot heated up, Aedon took time to walk through some of the rooms of the large house. The place was a new place, and yet as familiar as an old song, or a favorite book. The wall spoke to him of years long past, and worlds forgotten in the eddys of time. The walls undulated and twisted revealing the many forms the house had taken through the long years. It was here that he was born and raised. Here that his training had been started and then ended when his sire found him wanting. Had it not been for Figol…
Figol, there is a name he had not thought of in some time. Wizard and mentor, father and tormentor. Creator and bringer of death. It was at his side that Aedon was forged into what he was to be. Had he known what the cost was, would he have stayed, or sought to flee many long years ago?
We must all have a purpose in our lives, he would tell him. And that which is laid out for us all, will in time come to pass. It is inevitable. We cannot hide, and any attempt to change what is to be would only be a temporary reprieve.
Aedon knew this when his first wife and two of their children were lost at sea. He knew it when Janissan took Kylie and returned to the home of her people. And now…

It is odd, he thought, that just as the Celtic Tide carried him from place to place, life to life upon an ever-changing waterway, so too did the sea cost him any happiness he was ever able to find. And though he had tried to stay as far inland as he could many times, still, like a moth to the flame, he always returned to the sea.
When the pot had finishes, Aedon poured a fresh cup of coffee and headed back to his chair. A fresh fire now roared in the hearth, and Nimbus was again perched on his cushion. Taking a deep drink from his cup, he settled back in the chair and watched the embers dance across the logs in the fireplace. Holding the cup in both hands, he took another sip, enjoying the aroma of the brew.
Setting the cup in his side table he looked at the cat for a moment.

“It seems silly to get up now and work on anything don’t you think? I mean supper time must be fast approaching, and I am sure John has something planned. “

“Perhaps, said the cat, time will tell Aedon, time will tell.”

Staring into the fire Aedon started to doze again, and at that place between sleep and wakefulness he could swear he heard the hoppers in the shrubs outside Connemara, and in the distance, the call of a lone wolf.

Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

A weeks’ time passed, and other than time spent listening to music in Bree, or the occasional hunt with in, most of his time Aedon spent in the large house in Belfalas. As always, in all houses in which he dwelt, there was a sense of order that at times he felt overpowering. Evening Nimbus moved around on silent feet as he worked on matters that Aedon chose not to inquire about. And most nights the only sound within the walls was the crackle of the fire, the whistle of the pot, or the beating of his own heart.

He had always found a certain amount of peace to be found in silence, but this was unlike the silence of the woods. The house seemed more a tomb than a home, the familiarity brought no comfort, and the fire within the hearth felt cold. He understood now what Figol meant by the silence of oblivion. A silence so deep and over powering that it could bring even the strongest man to scream out for release. But as always, circumstance and history reminded him he was like no other man.

Scholars throughout the ages have sought such a condition. A silence that would allow for deep thoughts and meditation. That blink of the eye in which the great questions that have long plagued people could be answered, and all the problems of the world simplified, and solved. But thoughts and meditation did not come easy for him of late. And he found that when he closed his eyes, all he could see, was a vast rolling ocean, and a far-off horizon.

Picking up his cup from the side table, Aedon took a drink of the fresh brew. Most of the peace of mind he had found in recent years began within that cup. He had carried it with him through years uncounted, lives barely lived, and worlds that rarely made him feel at home. But this one thing, brought from his earliest time was his link to his true self. And he guarded it as a rich man guards his gold. But on this day, the brew was cold and bitter to the taste, and his cup emptied of memories.

I cannot take this any longer

Jumping up, he grabbed the cup by the handle, slinging the liquid inside against furniture and walls as he ran down the stairs, out the front door, and down the path to the Bay of Belfalas.

I cannot take this anymore, I am done. Do you hear me? Done!

With that he flung the cup our over the surface of the water, and watched as it vanished into the fog.

Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

Aedon stood at the waters edge for several minutes staring into the fog. As one who has skipped a stone across the surface of the water, waits for the final splash. But no sound came, and the seas became suddenly turbulent. His eyes remained fixed on the fog until at last, a small dot could be seen low over the water, moving towards him at great speed. He stood there, and waited. As the object came closer, he could make out the form of a swallow-tailed kite. Not your normal one mind you, but a bird that rivaled the great Eagles of the Misty Mountains in size and presence. She made straight for where Aedon stood at the water’s edge, then noiselessly hovering above, dropped an item into his outstretched hand.

“You are late;” he said holding the cup tightly.
Flying over to a spot close to him, the bird touched down lightly on the ground, and shifted forms.

“My son, have I not advised you to keep thy cup safe? You above all know what contents have been spilled from that vessel. Hast, thou lost all senses?”

Grinning a bit, he looked at her, tilting his head slightly to the side.

“Well, I knew it would bring you.”

Walking over to where he stood, Nemira pushed the hair out of her sons’ eyes and tried not to smile.
“Then tell me, what is it Aedon of Athryvald needs of me?”

“I had a dream the other night. In it I was a lad back playing in the fields of my father. The fresh winds blew and tossed my hair about, and the smell of the sea filled my nostrils. I rolled and tumbled in the green grass dotted with flowers in shades of red and gold. And chased butterflies down the path to Galway Bay. And I was happy. Happier than I have been in many years.”

“That is many lifetimes removed from this place my son. And memories do have a way to come back to us from time to time.”

“Life was simpler then. And I am sure that there were things in life I was intended for in Ireland.”

“Your father planned to have you killed, my son. Had it not been for the quick actions of Figol, that day in the sun you envisioned would most likely have been your last.”

Turning his face towards her he snapped back suddenly.

“Had it not been for Figol my life would have been my own.”

“Granted Aedon. But tell me, what has brought thee to this spot today? Is all well in your life my son?”

“All is Well mother.”

“Greyylene is happy?”

“Her life is her own, and no one will again control her actions or steal from her that which is rightfully hers. I have come to know that what we did, was right”

“And what of you, Aedon?”

“Me? I am tired. I no longer wish to continue as I have for all these years.”

“You wish death, my son?”

“No mother, I wish to have never been.”

Sitting down on the grass, Aedon looked at the cup in his hand, and then stared out over the Bay. No emotion seemed to betray his thoughts, but in his eyes Nemira saw the pain of thousands of years, and a sort of odd emptiness she had never before beheld.

“You ask of me something that is not within my power to grant my son. Your life, for good or bad is on a track controlled by destiny. And until what is to be has come to pass. Here, you will remain.”

“And what then mother?”

“I cannot say. Come, let us go within the dwelling and I will prepare your cup for you.”

Reaching down, Nemira took her son’s hand and helped him rise. Going inside, she took the cup from his hand, and walked to the pot, preparing the coffee as she knew he liked it. She watches in some sadness as he moved before the hearth, and sunk slowly into his chair. Handing him the cup, she knelt beside the chair and watched him for a moment.

“I will remain here wit thee for a bit Aedon. For as long as you wish. But you must rest my son. Storms are brewing, something is coming.”

Reaching over, Aedon squeezed his mother’s hand lightly, never taking his eyes off the fire, and the embers dancing across the logs.

Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

It was good to have Nemira around again. That was the one thing that was certain right now in Aedon’s life. He enjoyed listening to her singing as he set up in his office tending to papers too long left undone. And the occasional argument he overheard between Nemira and Nimbus often brought him to fits of laughter. The house seemed full, life should have felt complete and normal again. And yet, something was missing. Some spark had departed him leaving only duty and work where once there had been whimsy and joy.
Often at night, as he set in his chair before the fire, he could hear the others whispering below. Had they actually forgotten his keen sense of hearing, or did the really not care if he knew of their concerns. On this night in particular, the conversation seemed to concern him, so he listened closer.

“Something is wrong Nimbus. Were you not tasked with keeping close eyes on him? He is slipping into a dream from which he may not wish to return.”

“Nonsense Nemira;” The cat quipped. “It is but his diet. I am thinking perhaps he needs more greens, or perhaps more meats and cheese."

“Nimbus, do not play folly with me. There is something on a far shore which calls to him, and he seems willing to heed the call. It is a danger for him to do so at this time.”

“This time, next time, what does it really matter? The day and hour of his next crossing is well known to us both, and it is not now. So do not fret yourself, we have years still.”

“This is true, Nimbus. But my son is not like others you have watched over. He moves in a manner of his own design, and we are only able to try to keep his feet on the desired path. It was always the plan to keep him here, wrapped up in the lives of those around him. I gave that pirate the ship because it amused him. But that seems to have faded, and he seems content to let her sail her own seas.”

“Are you sure of this Nemira? Did he say he was content, or did you over look something this time.”

“Hold thy tongue cat, and remember who you are speaking to.”

“I am a watcher Nemira, and not under your control. I answer only to Elisandra, Queen of the Freehold of Roses. I stay or go at her command. And I tell you this, if it is his desire to return to the Dreaming world, I will see him there. So, I suggest…What was that?”

In the room above, Aedon has shifted suddenly, causing his book to fall to the floor. He cursed softly to himself as he realized the two below had gone quiet. Returning the book to the side table, Aedon walked downstairs and made a fresh cup of coffee. There was no sign of the two who had been speaking below, so walking out the front door, he headed down to the water’s edge.
The seas were calm tonight, and the moon, in its fullness shone down on the waters revealing the reflection of countless stars. Summer was slowly passing into fall, and a cool breeze tossed his hair and tickled at his nose. Taking a deep drink of the dark brew from his cup, Aedon stared out across the waters of the Bay of Belfalas. And sighing deeply he said, and only the night birds heard him:

"Cén áit ansin an chéad eachtra eile mo ghrá. Áit a séideann na gaotha, beidh orm leanúin"
(Where then the next adventure my love. Where the winds blow, I am bound to follow)

Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

The house was quiet. Nemira thought perhaps too quiet. Most evenings when Aedon was sitting in the room, she could hear the noise of books being shuffled about, or him pacing back and forth having a conversation with himself. But tonight, there was only silence, and this unnerved her a bit. Looking towards the kitchen area she called out to Nimbus to see if he too though something was amiss. But in his usual cat-like manner, nimbus dismissed her concerns as little more than a mother’s fears. But to satisfy not only her concerns, but his own curiosity, he decided to prowl through the house.

He searched each room of the house and found no sign of Aedon. The atrium, where he often sat drinking coffee was also silent. The bedrooms, his office and even the back porch also gave no hints as to the whereabouts of the wayward man. Walking back to where Nemira waited he looked up at her saying;

“You don’t suppose he heard us talking, do you?”

“Of course, he did, she said with a sigh. At times I could swear his ears are every bit as big as yours.”

“Hey now, no reason to insult me just cause your kid ran away from home.”

“Nimbus, we do not have time for this. Come, we must search the area.”

“Can’t you just do some voodoo bird thing and find him?”

“No Nimbus, and in truth, if Aedon does not wish to be found there will be little we can do. Perhaps he is just out looking at the bay again.”

Walking outside, the two first searched each tier of the yard, and found no sign that Aedon had even been out there. The next headed down to the waters edge, where often he sat in thought, and this area as well was empty, with no sign of disturbance. Nimbus sniffed the air, and looked from side to side.

“No one close by but an elf on a distant wall.” He said to Nemira. “Want me to go ask if they seen anything of a wandering man? We can say he is lost.”

“First of all, Nimbus, not all who wander are lost.” But it is odd that there are no signs of his passing. Perhaps he headed to Bree. He does like the music that plays there each night. Come, we can search faster from above.”

Gracefully shifting into the form of a large swallow-tailed kite, Nemira took to the sky. Nimbus at first ran along the ground below her, then shifted to the form of a crow, and followed quickly in Nemira’s wake. Soon the sound of the beating of her wings faded, and the water’s edge was again silent other than the sound of the waves lapping gently at the shoreline.

Stepping out from the shadows, Aedon looked toward the direction the two had taken, and then towards a short wall along the water’s edge. Even in the dim light of the moon he recognized her form and bearing. Silent he moved along the grassy path and came up behind the figure sitting on the wall. Hopping down a bit, then setting on the wall next to her, he grinned a bit saying.

“Now then, what brings you down this way tonight?”

Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

Looking up from where she say, the elf lass said simply.

"What, now I need a reason? Is it not enough to sit by the ocean and let my thoughts be carried away? Oh, then there may be that chance sighting of some rather handsome stranger who may pass by."

Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

Nimbus' musings

My words doth run from ear to ear
He will not listen
Does not hear
So how am I to make a start
What wily way to spin my art

Though regally he walks the land
Tis on the ground that he must stand
For on the sea, upon a boat
He lacks all grace
He is a goat

Still sworn protector that I be
Must find a way to make him see
Or willy nilly to the sea
And wave and tide
His grave shall be

Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

They did not really speak, but just sat there enjoying each other’s company. The nearness of the water offered a soothing sound, and the reflection of myriad stars upon the calm waters of the bay offered a surreal juxtaposition to the storm that welled beneath the surface. The winds in his mind blew wildly, with the force of a gale, and he knew that change was coming. Nemira had even mentioned to him that something was coming. He thought it odd that she offered no other explanation. It was not like her at all to allow Aedon to be caught too far off guard. He tried to focus on the water and her company. Hoping to draw his focus out of the unknown and back to something near at hand.

After a bit e looked over at her. She was as beautiful as ever, with pale skin that still managed to show a life under the sun. Flawless, and yet not. Her red hair, untied, fell down across her shoulders, and whipped around her face when ever the winds stirred. For a moment he would have been content to set on this wall forever. To allow all the cares of the world, to be carried out to see on a wave, never to return. But something called to him, drawing him away from this spot. Looking over to her he asked.

“You are alright then?”

Without even looking over she replied softly.

“I am good.”

Standing slowly, Aedon looked down the road to the docks. There he could see the tall masts of the Celtic Tied, her sails now unfurled.

“I must do something.” He said, his eyes fixed on the ship.

With that, he started off down the road to the waiting ship. He had been told many times by Figol, throughout many years to never look back. There is little to be gained in such a thing, he would say. And Aedon had tried to live by this idea. But tonight, for a brief moment, he glanced back to where she sat, unmoving, like a statue in the moonlight. And in that instant, he almost turned around. But the call of the sea grew louder, and an urging took hold of his heart. Turning back to the great ship, he picked up his pace, and soon found himself walking up the gangplank. Standing at the side railing he watched as the lights from the houses on the shores of Belfalas faded into the mist.

And the Tide sailed on.

Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

The two flew on for hours. Hours turned to days and still they found no sign of the wayward man. Their travels took them over Breeland, and across the North Downs. Turning East, they made quick passage of the Lone-lands and soon over the high moors of the Misty Mountains.
They did not stop for rest, because neither bird needed any break in their flight. Their speed was that of the wind, and nothing slowed, or hindered their flight. That is until they made a pass over the Kingstead in Rohan.
Far below them, moving at a steady clip they could see something traveling one of the back roads which led from Middlemead down towards Rohan. It was a rocky way, and yet the object moved along with a quiet ease. It was as though it were actually floating on water.
“We need to get a closer look.” Nemira said as she began a swift downward glide.
As she got closer to the item at first, she wanted to laugh. It was a sight to see, and a sight rarely seen in Rohan. As she hovered over it, Nimbus caught up and stared down at the...

“Is that a gypsy wagon?”

Nemira was about to answer when something on the top of the wagon caught her eye. Amongst the typical runs and etchings, one might see on a gypsy wagon was a symbol that she knew all too well. She had seen it flying on flags of several ships now. A collection of runes which resembled markings on a compass, and rising above them, a single black Raven.

“That is the mark of Greyylene, she said to Nimbus. It may be that they have Aedon tied up in the back of that wagon. Shall we pay this pirate a visit?” She asked

As she started to swoop down on the wagon something inside of her screamed out. It was as though her heart had been suddenly ripped from her chest. She could barely breathe and feared that she might fall from the sky and land atop the symbol of the Pirate Greyylene. She caught her breath and looked behind in the direction the had come from. She paused for some time, her eyes fixed on the sky as though trying to cover the miles between Rohan and Belfalas Bay.

Something was very wrong.

She took off towards whatever it was which called to her, desperation drawing her swifter than she had ever flown before.
And the Gypsy Wagon rolled on.

Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

The Celtic Tide moved upon the water with a grace unmatched by any craft. Though larger than most sea going vessels, she was nimble and responsive to the mind of her master. Aedon rarely took her out by himself, but tonight he had a desire to just float for awhile and regain his balance. He had only intended to be away from the shore for a few hours. But time seemed to slip away from him as he lay there, watching the stars dance overhead. It was not long before he found himself caught up in the drifts of time and slipped into a deep sleep.

He did not know how long he had slept, but was awakened by a heavy downpour of rain. The sails of the great ship whipped about wildly, and the boards creaked and moaned with each toss of the waves. Running to the wheel, he tried to gain control of the vessel, but try as he might, the wheel could not be budged, and the ship did not seem to have a mind of her own. Off to the starboard side, a waterspout erupted from the sea and soon the ship was surrounded by them. Each seemed to be trying to rip the craft apart.
Letting go of the wheel, Aedon ran to the center of the deck and started calling out as loud as he could. But the roar of the winds drowned out his voice, making it as a weak whisper in hurricane.

“Nemira! Where are you?”
“Figol, this is not a bit funny.”

The roar of the winds picked up, and the ship boards made a loud cracking sound. The ship was bucked and tossed about in the gale as a flower petal might be tossed about in a spring storm. Louder and louder the winds roared, and a grey wall of seemed to rise and engulf the Tide. On the deck, Aedon wrapped his arms around one of the masts and held on tightly. And then, as quick as it began, the winds and storm ceased, the waves calmed and the sun shone down again on the water’s surface.

And the Celtic Tide was gone.

Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

Holding tightly to the mast, Aedon closed his eyes trying to shut out the dizzying effect of the ship spinning wildly beneath the surface of the waves. Deeper and deeper, it was pulled, and as it was, the rotation of the vessel slowed. Opening his eyes slow, Aedon did not seem at all surprised by the fact that he had no trouble breathing at all. As the ship’s rotations slowed, he stood slowly on the deck and looked around. Slowly the haze of the water cleared, and he found that the Tide had come to rest aside another vessel.
He immediately knew not only the other ship, but the area it was docked at. As his breathing returned to normal his smile widened as he looked upon Inamorata’s Fury once again. It had been years since he had visited this small port in the Dreaming. The name of which either confounded or escaped him at the moment. Many things were such in the realm of the fae. The Tide moved gracefully past the smaller ship and came to rest at the docks just beyond. The gangplank was extended, and Aedon made his way down the way and up to the door of the Poola Pook.
It was a small tavern, owned or controlled by a Pooka Grump. Long had he been here, and so, he knew all who passed through and everyone’s business. His fur was very gray, and his ears seemed twice the length of James’. He wore a very colorful vest over pantaloons that seemed a bit too large for his slightly for even his seven-foot frame. As Aedon Approached the bar, he looked up with a wide toothy grin.

“Well, I was wondering when I would see you again, sit and have a drink.”

“Evening Bixby” Aedon said as he took the seat at the counter.

The pooka quickly poured a cup if fae tea, and set it in front of Aedon along with some honey and cream. Then reaching beneath the counter, pulled up a couple of fresh, warm cookies and put them on a plate next to the tea.
“There you go Sire, just like you like it. Refresh yourself, then we will talk.”
As Aedon enjoyed the snack, he looked around the room for familiar faces. He did see many that he recalled from other trips her, but not the one he was searching for.

“Bixby, is Captain Gray here?”

“Hush now Aedon, food first, sea captains after."

Aedon enjoyed the tea and cookies in silence. This was a place of comfort to him, and in time, was slated to be where he would return for good. The small town, which sat just beyond the Tavern was home to many who being done with their tasks, sought a spot away form the worlds turmoil to spend the years to come. The houses were smaller than he was accustomed to, but they offered a comfort he had found in only one other spot.
He had barely finished his tea when the door opened behind him, and in walked Captain Phaen Gray.

“There she is Sire, right on time.”

Standing quickly, Aedon rushed over to greet his old friend. She had not aged a day, and long years had neither diminished her beauty or sense of Humor. After they exchanged a big hug, she held him at arm’s length saying.

“Good grief man, you look like crap. Did you crash that ship of yours again?”
Then after a hearty laugh said in a softer tone.

“You are years ahead of your time my old friend. Come and Sit Aedon, and tell me why you are here at this time.”

Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

Aedon sat there for sometime fidgeting with the items on the table. He moved his cup from the left side to the right several times. Twisted the ring on his finger, and counted and recounted the cookies on the plat in front of him. In short, he did anything he could think of to avoid the question put to him. Phaen watched him for some time, and was almost curious to see just how long he was willing to keep this up. But leaning in and taking his hand which was busy rearranging the cookies one more time, she leaned in and asked.

“Aedon, why are you here at this time? No call went out, or I would have heard it as well. So, tell me old friend, why now?”

Allowing the cookie to drop from his hand, he looked up meeting her gaze. He knew a lie would not do in this instance. She would surely see though him. And so, sitting back a bit, he took a deep breath and replied.

“In truth Phaen, I do not know for sure. For some time now there has been something amiss in my life. Something I seek, long for. And yet, each time it is within my grasp, it slips away.”

“And what do you think this is, what does it feel like you?”

“A sense of belonging. Not just to a person, but to a place, a time, a land. I am no longer sure where I am to call home. Having lived in so many places, through so many years.”

“You question if you belong where you are now?”

“I question if I ever really belonged anyplace. I mean, I know my ancestral lands, I even have some memories of the place I grew up. But beyond that, I cannot help but wonder, which way is now. And where do I fit in among an ever-changing series of people and places? It is an odd thing to sit in a room full of friends discussing home and hearth and wondering where that place is for me”

“And so, you come here seeking to stay. To call this place home?”

“I suppose that is true Phaen. Though from the greetings I have received I would seem that is not
possible.”
“You are just here too soon Aedon. Your work is unfinished, and many years lie before you. Deeds and services to those who may look to you for leadership or friendship. And until all is complete, your home is not here either.”

Looking away for a moment, Aedon took in a deep breath. The light coming in through the windows was waning, and the light form the lampposts outside flickered to life casting a small halo beneath them. The door stood open and through it he could see the various creatures who called this small port home scurrying about, finishing the days tasks. A few, stopped just outside the door of the tavern and burst into a hearty sea shanty. He longed to join them in song, but Phaen’s words echoed through his mind. You are here too soon. Looking back to her he asked the only question he could think of at the time.

“If I do not belong here, then where do I belong.”

Smiling brightly, she replied.

“You belong in your home Aedon. As you always have. You have forgotten a truth of your life my friend. Your home is always with you. It travels in your wake and in each new land, it awaits you. But you have to open your eyes to see it. Aedon, Connemara calls, a resting place in a world gone mad. These are your own words my friend. Open your eyes and you will see the truth. You came here seeking your home and yet home is behind you.”

At this time the clock in the corner began to toll the hour. Phaen turned to glance at it briefly, then turned back to him.

“Your time here is coming to an end Aedon, do not be sad, what you seek is behind you. Look for the long rolling pathways down to the sea you walked in your boyhood. Breathe in the scent of the holly and heather. And allow home to find you again.”

Standing slowly, she pulled on her gloves and set her hat askew on her head. Then winking at him said.

“I will see you again before you know it, Aedon. Be well.”

Then turning, she walked out the door and into the night.

Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

For a time after she left, Aedon sat watching the door. It was not as if he were expecting Phaen to return so much as he was trying to make some sense of all she had said. When he had set out form the docks in Belfalas, he himself was not fully unsure what he thought to find, and in truth, where he might end up. The Tide was an odd ship, with a mind of her own, and through the long years he had discovered that she knew more of where he was going than Aedon did himself.

Why here?

He had, on many occasions thought to withdraw into the dreaming, but it had always been a passing fancy. After all, one must live out the life and times they are dealt before the deck can be reshuffled.

Finishing his tea, he slid his chair away from the table and sent to stand up. As he did, the floor seemed to shift and buckle under his feet, and the walls spinning, and shifting in color and design. Fae tea, though strong, had never before had such an effect on him. He held tight to the back of the chair and watched in wonderment as Bixby darted around the room, serving drinks, and picking up payment. The spinning around him seemed to increase in speed, and Bixby, running in the opposite direction that the room was turning seemed unphased by it all. Just when he thought he was about to lose the tea and cookies he had just had, along with dinner from the day before, Bixby stopped directly in front of him, grinning widely.

“Thank you, come again” he said as he placed his paw on Aedon’s forehead and pushed him backwards.

He found him self falling rapidly, as the winds blew around him. Bits and pieces of the furniture from the tavern passed around him, carried in the dark increasing mist which threatened to envelope him. Reaching out blindly, he searched for something to hold on to. Something that might stop the freefall he was in. At last, his hands touched something solid, and he managed to grab hold of it, and pull himself towards it, and found that he was once again clinging to the mast of the Celtic Tide.

He was not sure how long he lay there, holding on to that mast. He had long before closed his eyes in an attempt to quell the nausea brough about by all that was passing in front of him as the tide continued to spin upwards. The sound was almost deafening, and had he managed to scream out for help, it would have been drowned out by the howling winds around him. He clung tight, and waited. And time passed by.

And then…

All was quiet, and the ship broke the surface of the water and came to rest in Belfalas Bay.

Opening his eyes, he slowly stood up and looked off towards the shoreline. It was a quiet evening, and the lights from the houses along the bad shone out brightly. In the distant sky, he could see the stars that made up the Swordsman, and breathing a sigh of relief, looked up and was greeted by the form of a large Swallow-tailed Kits descending towards the ships deck.

Nemira had found him, and did not look at all pleased.

Landing on the deck of the ship, she shifted form and walked towards her son. Looking towards her, he started to speak.

“I am Sor….”

“Silence, what were you thinking Aedon?”

“I am not sure Mother, I just needed to find something.”

With a wave of her hand, she sent the confused man flying from the deck of the Tide, and across the water to the shore. As she did this she said simply:

“Just go Aedon”

It was at this time that Nimbus finally caught up to her and lading at her side looked up confused and asked.

“Where is Aedon.”

Nemira’s look softened, and a small smile came to her lips as she said.

“He has gone Home Nimbus.”

Along the shore, not too far from the docks, Aedon pulled himself out of the water, and stood up, looking back across the water towards the ship. He had rarely seen Nemira this angry before, and knew it might take some time before he could face her again. Reaching down to brush himself off a bit, he was surprised to find his clothing was still dry. Shrugging, he started off down the road to the House he was staying in. As he went to cross Silver Road, he felt an odd tugging at his soul. He glanced up the hill and could not understand what up there might be drawing his attentions. He started to move on, but again he felt a pull of something urging him upwards.

The road that led from the Bay up towards the building was lined with flowers in shades of red and orange. In a terrace to the side, a single Rowan stood like a sentinel. The fountain, to the other side of the road was surrounded by fragrant heather and holly bushes.

It was all new to him and yet as familiar as his own name. And he happily followed this path up to a building he instantly knew.

“Connemara.” He whispered to himself.

Walking up to the door, he opened it and walked inside. The warm fire in the hearth welcomed him, and the smell of fresh coffee brewing soothed his spirit and awoke in his soul many feelings he had not felt in many years. Contentment, happiness and a true sense of belonging.

He was, at long last, home.

Connemara calls
A Resting place, in a world gone mad
Duty and honor,
A way of life, a promise kept
Connemara calls
And I am now,
where I belong

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Character Journals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: