Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

re: Riding Team Shines at Ales and Tales

Music fans gathered at the sports arena in the Horsefields on Monday for a special equestrian edition of Ales and Tales. The show opened with several lively songs by Old Winyards. A large audience quickly filled the field, dancing with great enthusiasm in the warm sunlight of late afternoon.

Forum Image

As the set came to a close, the Windy Acres Ranch formation riding team galloped into the arena. After a brief introduction by Kiralynn, it was time for the horse parade. Riders trotted past the audience on a variety of interesting steeds wearing matching outfits, beneath an Autumn sky filled with fireworks.

Forum Image

Cremello and Perlino steeds led the parade, followed by the ever-popular Inn League and Harvest-brew horses. A set of seasonal horses representing each of the major festivals trotted proudly across the field next. Finally, horses wearing caparisons embroidered with the Westfold, Eorlingas and Helmingas heraldry reminded everyone that it we will soon be riding to Rohan.

Forum Image

Kiralynn returned to the arena to introduce the formation riding demonstration. This ancient sport requires great skill and discipline. Team members practice until the complicated maneuvers of their routine look effortless. During training, a strong bond forms between horse and rider which is essential for mounted combat.

Forum Image

The team's Argent unit rode proudly onto the field, wearing matching uniforms on dark chestnut steeds, led by unit captain Craicwyth. Caiyyd, Lhinnthel and Lifebringer followed in tight formation. As Old Winyards struck the first notes of "Whiskey in the Jar", the team spurred their horses into motion.

Forum Image

The five-minute routine demonstrated several intricate maneuvers, including cloverleaf and threading the needle. As the sun set in vivid hues on the horizon, each horse bowed gracefully to the crowd. The unit rode away to the roar of cheers and applause.

Forum Image

The band kept the crowd in high spirits, playing outstanding music as Kiralynn organized the contestants for the horse show. Eleven well-dressed riders signed up to compete for the prize – Alinniel, Bertrus, Carica, Doribolger, Galspi, Kyrian, Laval, Melanie, Rainwood, Riani and Tinki. Each was given a chance to show off their outfit and matching tack.

Forum Image

The audience was charged with selecting the winners. All of the contestants received a handful of votes, but three impressed the crowd above all others. Laval won third place and a gold with an impressive outfit. Tinki won second place and two gold with a more dramatic costume. Alinniel's crowned and armored ensemble attracted the most votes and the honor of first place. She won a young Perlino steed.

Forum Image

Windy Acres Ranch would like to thank everyone who donated their time and talent, making the team's first public performance a memorable event. Special thanks to Old Winyards and the rest of the Ales and Tales crew. Much gratitude to Tomrica for her stealthy screenshots. Congratulations to the formation riding team's Argent unit on an amazing show!

Forum Image

The next event at Windy Acres is a horse race and costume contest. The Haunted Derby will run on Saturday, October 13 at 1:00pm ST with a top prize of 750 Turbine Points. The Wraith Race is scheduled for Wednesday, October 24 at 9:30pm ST with a grand prize of 1,600 Turbine Points. See you at the races!

Awarded:

Forum Image
Windy Acres - Riding Team Show (panoramic) by Tomrica

Many more photos can be found HERE. There was so much content and so much to see that even the photos don't do it justice. I may try to video future events like this to capture how really truly great it was. Congrats for such a successful event! Bravo Windy Acres, A&T crew, and OW!

Awarded:

We could video tape the performance at Wednesday's practice. The team could do the parade and the formation riding demonstration. I could shoot the fireworks. You could record from whatever angle you like. We could even re-do certain segments if you wanted a variety of angles. There wouldn't be an audience in the background (unless LMB folks want to volunteer) but there also wouldn't be problems with lag.

Thank you for posting a great panoramic! How do you make those?

Awarded:

We'll have to try the video out sometime at practice then.

Microsoft ICE (Image Composite Editor) is what I use. Take your screenshots (or video) and drag them in - and it kind of does all the hard work for you.

Awarded:

It looks like it was fantastic! Good weather in Lotro and everything. I was so bummed that I missed it. sad

A video of the routine would be a great idea. It would help people see how cool a formation team looks, and how much work it takes. I'd guess a lot of the public won't really understand what you're doing until they see it in action.

Even better would be to have two cameramen: one at ground level, and another at some high point to show the formation overview. Or am I getting too ambitious? I have nothing in the way of video capturing, so I'm speaking of things I know nothing about.

A bevy of other characters, as listed at my lotro-wiki page
Tomeoric

Awarded:

Actually, that wouldn't be too difficult, even with one camera. Since the team practices over and over, you'd just record from the two spots, and then splice/edit the footage.

Jump to: