Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> J.R.R. Tolkien
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2

What should we read for the first LMB Tolkien Read-Along?
The Silmarillion - all of it, or just a part
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
Another book related to Middle-earth (Unfinished Tales, Lays of Beleriand, etc.)
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Something by JRRT not directly related to Middle-earth (Tolkien Reader, Gawain and the Green Knight, Roverandom, Sigurd & Gudrun, etc.)
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Other (explain in a comment)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

Lindorieh
Morfindiel
Officer

Awarded:

re: LMB Tolkien Read-Along: Categorical Poll

Gaiagil and I also have a commitment on Elendilmir on Sunday, Nov 7 from 3-6 EST, so we would not be able to attend that afternoon (unless it was before or after).

Lindorieh
gaiagil
Officer

Awarded:

Saturdays work best for me!

My husband has not yet done this for his class, but he's looking now!

Gaiagil

I keep thinking how nice it would be to have a book club in the treasure room every time I run through it... Of course, its currently full of all those blasted treasure hunters. But who knows, maybe those adventurers will get tired of the sport in November. I also could see getting together at the Bird and Baby, the Great Smials, or even Bag End proper!

--Harperella

re: time and location...

I too, would be a bit happier with a saturday event, although i'll point out that regular saturdays are still our gathering days for the epic saturday events, which are proving to be quite useful - i'd be careful to coordinate with the epic saturday folk, or at least make sure they're forwarned

also, considering location, if we do begin with the hobbit, i'd like to recommend that we hold our conversations in hobbit-appropriate locales - sadly, mirkwood may be too dangerous ,and the lonely mountain and dale are still beyond our reach, but the shire, bag end, bilbo's trolls, rivendell, the misty mountains and gollum's cave, are all still accessible to us...i realize there are some dangers involved in accessing these areas, but i'd love to discuss the hobbit in hobbit locales

i'd also like to say, just for the record, i'm a tad sad - honestly, i was actually more excited about the possibility of a read-along then a literary discussion - odd, i know, coming from an english lit major, but truth is, i was more intrigued by the idea of listening to some of my fellow banders, and their own interpretations of one of my favorite fantasy stories...ah well...to each their own

anyway, my handful of thoughts and ideas, to be done with as you wish...

High Officer

Awarded:

re: Re: time and location...

Andeon wrote:
I too, would be a bit happier with a saturday event, although i'll point out that regular saturdays are still our gathering days for the epic saturday events, which are proving to be quite useful - i'd be careful to coordinate with the epic saturday folk, or at least make sure they're forwarned

What about Friday nights? Or earlier Saturdays, before the epics begin?

Quote:
also, considering location, if we do begin with the hobbit, i'd like to recommend that we hold our conversations in hobbit-appropriate locales

Sounds great to me!

Quote:
i'd also like to say, just for the record, i'm a tad sad - honestly, i was actually more excited about the possibility of a read-along then a literary discussion - odd, i know, coming from an english lit major, but truth is, i was more intrigued by the idea of listening to some of my fellow banders, and their own interpretations of one of my favorite fantasy stories...ah well...to each their own

No reason not to incorporate some selected vent readings into the in-game meetings! That can be the kick-off to each discussion...just not the *whole* book, but key passages, to keep it manageable lengthwise.

re: its all give and take...

theres no perfect answer, and my only real recommendation - do your best to find a time that works well for you, accomodates as many of your intended audience as possible, and be polite to the various events you may conflict with

we're starting to expand our range of activities, and the inevitable consequence is that some will conflict with others - so, all we can really count on, is common courtesy, and the respect your fellows will have with your own efforts, and vice versa.

don't worry about the readalong simply on my behalf - if you think it would be useful, feel free to use it - if it will distract from the intended activity, feel free to ignore it...just my personal preference is all, I expect no one to alter their own event simply to match my personal tastes

i'll be watching to see what time is finally decided on, and will be happy to contribute if possible. have fun with it!

Galenswerd wrote:
This thread can also be an announcement for those of you who want to join our Tolkien Society group within the LMB. I will start another thread I think as a signup sheet. Once I have 10 or so people, I will create the password for our unique forum where we can gather & share together. The password will be for posting only, I think I will leave it open to all members to read. A while back I had thought of creating an "Inkling" like group within the band where we can share Tolkien related readings and also our own creative work if we desire.

You now I'd be down, can you set me up to access this forum?

Anthony

Awarded:

Well, it looks like this weekend's going to be busy for me (my grandma & uncle have come to visit, yay!) so let's plan to launch the book club next weekend on Saturday afternoon. Maybe in between the book 1 and book 2 epic runs...I've got a meeting that I should get home from early afternoon, so I'm going to shoot for around 5 p.m. EST. I think the sitting room in Bag End (where Ales and Tales once ended up at the end of the Party Tree edition of it) would be a lovely place for our first meeting! There's a map there and everything, as I recall...

So, if you haven't yet, try to acquire copies of The Hobbit and The Silmarillion sometime this week and we will meet on Saturday, Nov. 20 to launch! I think at that first meeting, we'll have some general intro to the books and talk about plans for the book club, and then we'll set up a reading schedule of sorts for how often to meet in game and/or how often new discussion topics for each chapter will go up on the forums.

Awarded:

I'm really looking forward to this!

Lindorieh
lookingouttosea-Byrdie/Elwynia
Officer

Awarded:

Got my books, ready to read!
<Draedin>

I think we should start with the Hobbit, more specifically I think our first read along should be the Battle of Five Armies at the Lonely Mountain. :)

6 Wending Road, Shindelf, The Shire
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> J.R.R. Tolkien All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: