Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seldora
Elithurien

re: Story Realms board game - only a few days left to support it

I wanted to share this with kinnies, if no one else has mentioned it:

Story Realms is a board game that aims to bridge younger kids into role playing games by focusing on stories. If there was ever a board game that emulated what playing LOTRO is like (in terms of the epic story, questing, etc), I think this is it.

Plus you interact with each other around a table, not with a computer or at a TV screen...it's good to have some balance, after all. :)

It has only a few days left on Kickstarter and I highly recommend you check it out (especially the map!):
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/springboard/story-realms

There are some playthrough videos in the Updates page, but to get a sense of what creating your own stories with this game would be like, check out the tutorial on the update called "All about building your own stories"
Floradine
Officer

Awarded:

Oh wow! Thank you so much for sharing, this is really **beautiful** !!
I demand a computer game, too! (Or is there one? In the making perhaps?)

Floradine wrote:
Oh wow! Thank you so much for sharing, this is really **beautiful** !!
I demand a computer game, too! (Or is there one? In the making perhaps?)

I don't think they have that planned at this point. They've created a framework for a board game that is pretty endless for story creating and has a low barrier to entry. Still, the game needs more backers! My kids are the perfect age for this so I'm pretty excited about it.

If the game gets traction with kids and schools (they are wisely creating a curriculum pack), I could see them moving into a computer game in the future though.
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

I'm going to have to give this game a try. Thank you for sharing!

By the way, for anyone who doesn't quite know what the game is about, here's the description from BoardGameGeek http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/127324/story-realms:

Quote:
Story Realms is a cooperative storytelling adventure game for 2-7 players that can be played in about an hour. Players assume the roles of heroes called to the magical land of Storm Hollow to aid in a time of need. Each adventure provides a stand-alone game scenario with a specific story-driven goal for the players to try to accomplish, and multiple adventures can be strung together in campaign mode to experience fully interactive epic stories. Players work together to fight monsters, overcome obstacles, rescue characters, find lost treasures, and drive back the darkness using a simple skill-based system and unique heroic powers. Goals and progress are tracked using the game board and cards, and each scenario provides a different set of options and path to victory.

So one of the interesting things about the game is that the world of Storm Hollow is actually a conglomerate of places from famous fairy tales (like Jack and the Beanstalk) that have been sucked through time rifts. Players adventure in places that crosses in and out of fairy tale worlds.

For me, I love the idea of being able to adventure in iconic places like Wonderland (as much as I like to in Middle Earth with LOTRO). But more than that, I think it is a great way to get children back into fairy tales and use their imagination. While animated movies are great, they are a passive form of entertainment, whereas reading and gaming are more engaging.

just some thoughts for those interested :)
Seldora
Elithurien

UPDATE: If you happened to see this post and were on the fence about this game, all the stretch goals have been unlocked thanks to a bunch of Kickstarter backers. That means the manuals, which have awesome illustrations, are going to be in hardback, numerous new cards are being added, two decks to helps tell stories, and 2 new adventures will be included.

Seriously, this game is just packed with stuff.

Also, the designers revealed that The Lost and Found Tea House in the main city, Venture, is run by a certain individual called The Faun. That's right, they are pulling from CS Lewis, which means the potential to integrate The Hobbit and Lord Of The Rings characters into the game is completely possible.

There are now only 6 hours left in the Kickstarter to get all the goodies at the Riftwalker ($100) level, so if you're a board gamer and you have younger kids, seriously consider this one!

By the way, I'm not trying to be spammy...I rarely comment on forums at all, but I'm just really excited about this one. :)
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: