Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> J.R.R. Tolkien
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is the best time for you to meet in-game and discuss chapter 5?
Friday (New Year's Eve!) 9pm EST
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Saturday (New Year's Day!) 4pm EST - in hopes that leaves everyone's evening free enough for celebrating
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Sunday Jan 2, 2 pm EST
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 6

Lennidhren
RannaDylin
High Officer

Awarded:

re: LMB Book Club, The Hobbit Ch. 5: Riddles in the Dark

Well, this week's chapter brings us - in spirit, if we do not manage to get our characters there in person...er, in pixel? - to the infamous Gollum's Cave! Last week, Lennidhren made an attempt to scout out the location, but even at level 53 she found it too much for her without help. Fortunately she ran across Artemisia, who was hunting for Bilbo's lost buttons in Goblin-town and kindly showed her the way!

Forum Image

Forum Image

Now, if it is indeed possible for a captain to summon folks into Goblin-town - say to that spot where Artemisia was showing me the murals, as that's right down the tunnel from Gollum's Cave and is free of goblins - then we might be able to manage bringing the Book Club there for this weekend's meeting. If not, we will meet at Aerlinnbar this week. We can gather around the Tentacle of Helchgam and compare its sliminess to Gollum's. Really, it'll work. :-)

But what else shall we discuss?

How about...RIDDLES!

Here are suggested discussion topics:

(1) Riddles! They make this one of my favorite chapters in the book. I have some annotations from The Annotated Hobbit to share during the meeting, detailing some of the sources of Tolkien's riddles, many of which are "chestnuts" as Bilbo calls them, or familiar old riddles everyone might have been expected to know.

We'll also take time during the meeting to share some riddles if anyone would like to bring some for that purpose! And we can discuss:

(1a) What do the subjects of their riddles reveal about Bilbo and Gollum as they ask each one?

(1b) Looking for riddles? Try this forums post: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?61882-The-Riddle-Game Or this listing: http://www.dmoz.org/Games/Puzzles/Brain_Teasers/Riddles/

(2) Magic Rings. Somewhat of a commonplace in folklore and myth - to what extent is Tolkien drawing on tradition?

(3) Gollum's practically his own little species, so now that we've talked about the characterization of Hobbits, Dwarves, Elves, and Goblins, what can we say of the introduction of this unique character? Also, how did his characterization change from the original edition of The Hobbit to the extensive changes Tolkien made in this chapter to bring it in line with what we learn of the Ring in LOTR?

(4) Bilbo is truly on his own this time. Gandalf doesn't show up to save the day nor do the dwarves blunder into the adventure as they did with the trolls. How does his burglary career - and his characterization - advance in this situation?

Silmarillion cross-reference: Alas, I left my Silmarillion at home when I went on Christmas vacation so I can't double-check everything - but there's a section "On the Rings of Power and the Third Age", or something like that, which should be the last thing before the appendices and such, and will give plenty of background on the forging of the One Ring. Of course - at the ring's first appearance here in The Hobbit, it is far from the monolithic token of evil and corrupting power that it becomes in LOTR!

Awarded:

Aiya,
I am running a holiday kin party for the Rangers of Ithilien on Elendilmir at 3pm on New Year's day which means I won't be able to make the Saturday time with preparations and all. Arduron and Lindorieh are also in that kin and may have to miss as well. It would have been Arduron's first book club meeting. Alas!

I see the vote is going that way, so I thought I would mention it as a problem. If that is the decision, I will send thoughts via the forum.

Thanks,
Gaiagil

Awarded:

Well, one of the Saturday votes is mine but of course all three options work for me, or I wouldn't have posted them. :-) So that leaves Saturday and Sunday basically tied right now; anyone have any further input before I declare in favor of Sunday?

Awarded:

I am going to be at the party Gaiagil is hosting, so I can't do Saturday either-despite the fact that I voted for it (my bad, I forgot about the kin party on Elendilmir).

Lindorieh
Lennidhren
RannaDylin
High Officer

Awarded:

OK, Sunday it is! 2pm EST at Aerlinnbar.

Jump to: