Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> J.R.R. Tolkien
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next

What should we read for the first LMB Tolkien Read-Along?
The Silmarillion - all of it, or just a part
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
Another book related to Middle-earth (Unfinished Tales, Lays of Beleriand, etc.)
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Something by JRRT not directly related to Middle-earth (Tolkien Reader, Gawain and the Green Knight, Roverandom, Sigurd & Gudrun, etc.)
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Other (explain in a comment)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

Lennidhren
RannaDylin
High Officer

Awarded:

re: LMB Tolkien Read-Along: Categorical Poll

Since the original poll indicates that LMB readers have quite a variety of interests, let's start over by narrowing down the category of readings first. :-)

For reference, you can view the original poll to read descriptions of the individual books in each category, and of the read-along plans overall.

Once we narrow down what category the majority wish to read, I'll post another poll with individual titles.

This thread can also be an announcement for those of you who want to join our Tolkien Society group within the LMB. I will start another thread I think as a signup sheet. Once I have 10 or so people, I will create the password for our unique forum where we can gather & share together. The password will be for posting only, I think I will leave it open to all members to read. A while back I had thought of creating an "Inkling" like group within the band where we can share Tolkien related readings and also our own creative work if we desire.

"Hail Earendel, brightest of angels above the middle-earth sent unto men."-Cynewulf, Christ II

CGriffin
Officer

Sorry I'm late everyone... been fighting the flu.

Anyways, now that I'm here, this sounds fantastic! I voted for something new (to me) from JRRT, but as others have said, I'm good with anything really... Oh, and Galen, where's that signup thread?

Tamoro
Officer

Awarded:

I wouldn't mind starting with the Silmarillion (a piece at a time though).

I'm actually partial to the Hobbit since the movie is in the works. Its been many many years (dare I say decades?) since I read that particular book. Besides, we get to find out more about the Lonely Mountain and its environs!

--Harperella

re: slowly warming up...

I'm slowly warming up to this idea. at first, i was rather hesitant - without a real description of what you meant by a readalong, I sorta envisioned typing out the text of the books in /say, which seemed rather redundant - also, i frequently am unable to attend social events, as I'm only really available during peak hours on weekends

but, i'm starting to imagine quite a bit of potential - its been a long time since i've done a readalong, and I always loved them (ps - I volunteer for reading duty - I rather enjoy it :)) I'm imagining we'll want to use the vent server for the better audio quality, which means there will have to be some pre-e-*vent* (get it? get it?) setup of vent for those folks that aren't familiar/set up with/for it, and I imagine we'll have to have dedicated readers (i *imagine* we'll use more than one, although i'd settle for morgan freeman or martin sheen reading the whole thing :))

of course, i may be over-imagining the event - besides being a read-along, there hasn't been a lot of detail as to what that will mean - so, I'm hoping to get a better idea of exactly what you had in mind - and of course, its entirely possible i wont be able to attend due to timing issues, which is sad, but unavoidable

but, in the end, either way, i'd cast my vote for the hobbit. personally, i'd love to experience the full text of the Silmarillion (rather than the first third that i've read 3 times now...its a long story...*snicker*...much like the silmarillion), but I know for a fact that the hobbit has a very...readable...feel to it, and is, I'd say, considerably more accessible than the Silmarillion. I think it might be best to start such an ambitious event with a good, solid, reliable read - and then move on to more...challenging, texts - help people *ease* into it, if you will

anyway, my thoughts on what is increasingly seeming like a very enduring event - i'll be watching closely to see how it develops

Why not read the Hobbit and then whenever the hobbit text alludes to anything from the Silmarillion, we could read a small section. In fact, we could use that method for all the books.

By the way- don't want to get you all too excited, but I'm currently working on a project with "The Tolkien Professor" http://tolkienprofessor.com/ - I have to keep it under wraps for now - but I'll be sure to let you all know first when it begins to come to fruition!

"Hail Earendel, brightest of angels above the middle-earth sent unto men."-Cynewulf, Christ II

Harperella
High Officer

Galenswerd wrote:
Why not read the Hobbit and then whenever the hobbit text alludes to anything from the Silmarillion, we could read a small section. In fact, we could use that method for all the books.

I like this idea! We can also cross-reference to the Tolkien prof lectures as we go along. The Hobbit is so accessible and readable, yet it has little hooks into all sorts of lore, many of which we don't get a good view of without the other books.

Galenswerd wrote:

By the way- don't want to get you all too excited, but I'm currently working on a project with "The Tolkien Professor" http://tolkienprofessor.com/ - I have to keep it under wraps for now - but I'll be sure to let you all know first when it begins to come to fruition!

A secret project with the Tolkien Prof? Dish!

--Harperella

Awarded:

Galenswerd wrote:
Why not read the Hobbit and then whenever the hobbit text alludes to anything from the Silmarillion, we could read a small section. In fact, we could use that method for all the books

Hmmm, that could be very rewarding - and greater motivation to dig into the Silmarillion, seeing the connections to the more familiar story. I will give this more thought (as it would necessitate more preparation from me as your facilitator, cross-referencing things...) but I am sort of leaning towards it now. :-)

Oh, and Andeon...what I'm thinking of for a readalong is basically like a knitalong - Everyone works on the same project on your own time, at your own pace, and there are scheduled check-ins with the group - on the forums, should be the most convenient thing, though we could arrange in-game book club meetings too! - for discussion of the sections everyone's been reading. As facilitator I'll post whatever helpful info I can come up with to go with each chapter, and I'll attempt to spark discussion as well, although with this group I suspect I will not need to do much prompting. You're all much more literate than the last Freshman English classes I taught, and will likely have much to say about the readings without being asked. :-) I figure we might have a weekly or maybe twice a week check-in on the forums, at which time I'll post that week's or half-week's discussion prompts, and the "study guide" for the next chapter.

Awarded:

Galenswerd wrote:

I'm a big fan of the Tolkien Professor, so I am VERY excited to hear what this might be. I know he has talked about starting to play LOTRO. Might he be joining the Lonely Mountain Band kinship? :-)

As for the read along, I'm happy with anything, from the most accessible to the most obscure. I don't think we should be afraid to cross-reference to other works if it comes up or seems relevant. I think any of Tolkien Middle-earth stories benefit from being read in the context of his overall mythology.

Lindorieh
gaiagil
Officer

Awarded:

I voted for the Silmarillion, but I love the idea of reading the Hobbit and then making references to the Silmarillion as they come up. My husband teaches a Tolkien class. I'll ask him if he has any guides to help us with that.

I love the idea of doing much of this in the forums, but I'd also like to see some gatherings in game, where we sit and discuss what we read ala the Inklings etc.

Sign me up, Galenswerd for the TS group. I'm aiming for my own membership in that organization so I can create a Smial here in the Tahoe area.

So exciting!
Gaiagil

Awarded:

I would love to join you all for this read along, no matter what we read. :)

I voted for The Hobbit, and I really want to read the Silmarillion with it. I have read the Silmarillion, but not in a long time. I think I would retain it better if it were linked in with The Hobbit. This is such a fabulous idea!

I have been reading a book of Tolkien's letters, very interesting. There is so much I have not read, and also much I have read but not understood.

Looking forward to this.
Lennidhren
RannaDylin
High Officer

Awarded:

re: The Hobbit...and the Silmarillion!

Seeing that the Hobbit and Silmarillion categories are tied at the moment anyway, I'm going to go ahead and declare Galen's idea the winner - we will read The Hobbit, with frequent excursions to relevant passages in the Silmarillion. :-) I'll allow a week or so for everyone to secure a copy of both books (and for me to start looking for those cross-references - Gaia, I'd love to hear your husband's suggestions!), and we will officially launch the read-along next weekend. Let's have an in-game Book Club Party to launch it! Probably Sunday afternoon, as I'll be at a teacher's conference Friday and Saturday. We can gather at the kin house and I'll share an intro to each book and to the read-along procedures. So, hit up your local library or bookstore (or your bookshelves...) and join us on Sunday! Time TBA, and if you aren't able to make it to the in-game party, please do join us for the forums discussions anyway!

re: never rains but it pours...

yes, it seems i will be unable to make such an event, as sunday afternoon has become my traditional time for the sunday night siege, and as interesting as the read-along sounds, I feel my heart is currently set on battle above literary discussion at the moment (which is odd, considering my English Lit degree...but there you have it)

I do wish you all the best of fortune in your literary analysis! good hunt...er...reading, that is.

High Officer

Awarded:

Ah, true, Sunday Night Sieges may be a conflict for several readers. How about if we wait till the next weekend when I don't have the conference to schedule around, and it can be a Friday night or Saturday meeting?

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: