Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> J.R.R. Tolkien
View previous topic :: View next topic  

When can you meet?
Friday, 7pm EDT
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Saturday, 7pm EDT
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sunday, 4pm EDT
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 5

Lennidhren
RannaDylin
High Officer

Awarded:

re: LMB Book Club: On Fairy-Stories, Part 2

We'll meet this weekend to complete the discussion of "On Fairy-Stories" (beginning with the section on Children). We'll also talk about plans for The Silmarillion!

Awarded:

I have one suggestion before we start reading "The Silmarillion", and that's to read the short story "Leaf by Niggle". It's the most autobiographical thing Tolkien ever wrote, and also addresses the topic of subcreation that we have been talking about in "On Fairy Stories". It's a beautiful little story and a quick read, and quite interesting as it is a peek at Tolkien's view of himself as subcreator and how subcreation might fit into the bigger picture.

Lindorieh

http://heroicjourneys.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/niggle.pdf
Lennidhren
RannaDylin
High Officer

Awarded:

We could combine "Mythopeia" with "Leaf by Niggle" next week, I guess, instead of combining the poem with OFS this week...

Awarded:

RannaDylin wrote:
We could combine "Mythopeia" with "Leaf by Niggle" next week, I guess, instead of combining the poem with OFS this week...

Oh, good idea!

Lind
Lennidhren
RannaDylin
High Officer

Awarded:

Calling the vote - we'll meet on Sunday for part 2 of the essay!

Then next week we will read "Leaf by Niggle" and "Mythopoeia."

re: Agreed, I think

I'd hate most of all to miss those two, though the second part of OFS is ex corde meum as well. Of course, next weekend, if all goes well, is Memorial Day weekend here in the States, and also a family reunion back in the Shire for my Great-Aunt's 103 birthday party. (yes, I am a hobbit wink So my ability to attend then is not clear, though it would be a knife to the heart if I couldn't.

High Officer

Awarded:

We will hope you can make it to both, Godwin! But if not, you can certainly use this thread (and next week's for Mythopeia/Leaf by Niggle) to contribute to the discussion, too.

Okay, here are discussion topics for part 2 of OFS today:

(1) Is there such a thing as a story suitable only (or, even, primarily) for children? Related question: What are your favorite "jFic" or "YA" labeled books to read even as an adult?

Then, some questions dealing with each of the four functions of fairy-stories Tolkien discussed: Fantasy, Recovery, Escape, and Consolation.

(2) Fantasy: What does it take for an author, as sub-creator, to succeed in creating a Secondary World in which the reader can experience Secondary Belief rather than the "willing suspension of disbelief"?

(3) Recovery: What do we recover through reading fairy-stories?

(4) Escape: Is an "escapist" story a good or a bad thing?

(5) Consolation: What is the difference between "eucatastrophe" and a "deus ex machina"?

Awarded:

I will also be gone for next weekend. We head up to our faraway outpost in Forochel (aka the UP of Michigan) for some hiking and fishing!

Lindorieh

On Crickhollow - Morivanye- Rangers of Ithilien

On Anor: -Morfindiel, Laerlenn -Mythgard

On Ithil: Morfindiel - The Kin

Lennidhren
RannaDylin
High Officer

Awarded:

Godwineson and Lindorieh both have conflicts for Memorial Weekend...how about the rest of you? Should we just postpone the next meeting (Leaf by Niggle & Mythopoeia) to the weekend of June 4?

Awarded:

Postponing is fine by me. Godwineson knows both pieces well and will offer great insights. Lindorieh always makes great contributions. I'd rather wait until they can join us rather than meet without them.

Gaiagil

Awarded:

My thoughts exactly! Well - counting Godwin and Lind themselves, I think that makes at least 4 votes for postponing. Apologies to anyone champing at the bit for The Silmarillion! But on the plus side, this means we will start the Silm after school is out and I no longer have grading to do...so I can take a little more time planning for book club, especially important at the start of a book!

So the schedule is:

-Leaf by Niggle and Mythopoeia: June 3-5 (probably June 5 - Sunday - the way the polls usually go)
-Silmarillion: Ainulindale: June 10-12

Also, should we continue with the polls or would you all prefer to have a consistent time for Book Club meetings in game? The most common time chosen has been Sundays at 4pm Eastern. For Andeon and others who have shown interest in joining us when we start The Silmarillion, is that time feasible? It does sometimes overflow into SNS gathering-up time, but earlier than that does not usually work for me on Sundays...

hrm...regular 4pm EST sundays - well, I guess I could get out of bed an hour earlier than I normally do without too many horrible repercussions. I'm good with that!

and yes, I'm looking forward to the Silmarillion, but champing at the bit would probably be a bit of an exaggeration - its a daunting text - but I *am* looking forward to those writing exercises - speaking of which, I probably need to dust off the old knuckles and see what I can come up with in the next coupla weeks

re: Friday

As I will be gone Sat-Mon, while I should have internet access, with my folks, scheduling is not readily foretellable.

Ahh, postponing. That works.

Lindorieh, up in da UP, eh?

wolves, for sure, and bears, and occasional reports of trolls, though the guaredain appear limited to Wisconsin, so far as I know.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: