Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

re: Happy 40th Anniversary D&D

The 40th anniversary of Dungeons and Dragons is fast approaching. Most people are going to celebrate this weekend. For those who enjoy the game, here are some fun links:

All I Needed To Know About Life I Learned From Dungeons & Dragons: http://www.salon.com/2014/01/21/all_i_needed_to_know_about_life_i_learned_from_dungeons_dragons/

A Pre-History of D&D in 12 Treasures: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EVQsIETO_A&feature=youtu.be

Playing At The World - When D&D Turns 40: http://playingattheworld.blogspot.com/2013/12/when-dungeons-dragons-turns-40.html

Blast from the past, the "Tomb of Horrors":
Wizards Walk-Through Map -- http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/toon/TombHorrors
Wikipedia -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_of_Horrors
TV Tropes -- http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TabletopGame/TombOfHorrors?from=Main.TombOfHorrors

David Ewalt, "Of Dice and Men: The Story of Dungeons & Dragons...": http://youtu.be/v7wSG5EIl5k

Enjoy!

o good lord not the tomb of horrors again. I *hate* that module with the burning heat of a thousand suns...

ah...but how I *love* hating that module. So many great memories...

memories...heheh...who am I kidding - resuming my 4th ed DND campaign this year with my friends - hello year 3!!

Officer

Awarded:

Hurray for D&D! Many, many fond memories here. =D

my group has been playtesting the new D & D next system. 4th ed just didn't work for us

Working together we all benefit ~ Aldekim, Brambel - Lonely Mountain Band ~ Doribolger - Harp and Dragon (LMB alt kin) ~ Athilrond, Ahtook, Nellan, Elye, Sylduril, Nitnoy, Elduryl, Dironen - Clan Etal ~ Kaesy - Lonely Mountain Treasures (Byrdie alt kin)
Cennwyn
Cennwyn

Awarded:

Had a blast playing 3.5 ed tonight...somehow it devolved into having to stage a theatrical production...which was awesome :)

Alts include: Tinaith the Elven Huntress, Dereborn the Loremaster of Gondor.
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Aldekim wrote:
my group has been playtesting the new D & D next system. 4th ed just didn't work for us

We also abandoned D&D during 4th edition. What do y'all think of Next? Is it getting back to roleplay or is it still just a pen+paper version of an MMO? what do you think about disadvantage and bounded accuracy? How is it going with a race, sub-race, class and sub-class?

The D & D next playtest rules do not yet include sub-races and sub-classes so I cannot address that. We will have to see what happens when the final ruleset comes out (I imagine that will be some time this summer). The overall play mechanics are vastly simplified compared to 3.5 with the vast skill lists and 4 with the rediculously complicated combat system that was, as you note, just a computer game system reduced to writing. The advantage and disadvantage system works pretty well. Our group has found it suitable to role play, but then many of our group members are fairly serious about including role play in character to our adventures.

Working together we all benefit ~ Aldekim, Brambel - Lonely Mountain Band ~ Doribolger - Harp and Dragon (LMB alt kin) ~ Athilrond, Ahtook, Nellan, Elye, Sylduril, Nitnoy, Elduryl, Dironen - Clan Etal ~ Kaesy - Lonely Mountain Treasures (Byrdie alt kin)
Andeon
Officer

honestly, 4th ed got a bad rap. It was a terrible role-playing system, with almost no mechanics in place to supervise RP activity, but I was fine with that. If anyone remembers FUDGE or any of the almost totally no-mechanic rp systems, you get a group of dedicated role-players together, they really can fashion their own limitations and successes in the course of RP.

What 4th ed really had going for it, was one of the most manageable, strategic, and balanced combat systems DND has ever had, and I've played them all. Sure, there was a lot of detail to track, but once you got used to it, it all flowed very naturally (I used to play a semi-realistic modern combat game system called phoenix command that had a 30-page, d1000-based hit-location table, using bullet penetration models and 1/2-second long rounds that could actually account for the flight-time of slow projectiles in it's to-hit model, and me and my gaming group got to the point where we'd memorized the hit location tables and didn't have to reference anything, so trust me, 4th Ed, with the proper investment, can be chutes-and-ladders simple by comparison)

I play-tested 4th ed at a convention the year before it came out, and hated it. Just found it abysmal. But I picked it up about a year later, wanting *some* kind of system, and so, so very tired of 3.5 - and we've run a 2-year campaign with it, and I can vouch - it is without a doubt, the best internally balanced combat system DND has ever used. Every class is useful, no one class becomes worlds beyond the others in terms of usefulness, most skills and feats are fairly well balanced (there are a handful of exceptions, but not nearly as many world-shattering easy mode combos that 3.5 had), and has a ton of tools to help keep track of the admittedly cluttery combat system.

Now, again, I'll grant, there's almost NO mechanics in place to govern "role-play" - 4th Ed is first and foremost a combat system. But it's a very good combat system, at least as far as melding strategic choice with fantasy action combat - is that for everyone? no, of course not - but it has served me admirably for over 2 years, and I think it's due it's proper credit.

Officer

Awarded:

A bunch of D&D players got together on Sunday to play one of the retro-clones, Myth and Magic. It is essentially 2e with a little bit of 3rd edition thrown in. The party had to rescue a village of elves from a power-hungry wizard. We played until 1:00am! What a great way to spend the 40th.

Jump to: