Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Sunday Night Sieges
View previous topic :: View next topic  

which time would work best for you?
Saturday early (2pm server time)
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Saturday late (5pm server time)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sunday early (2pm server time)
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Sunday late (5pm server time)
31%
 31%  [ 7 ]
can't make weekends at all
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'll clear my calendar for it
45%
 45%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 22

Andeon
Officer

re: Week 1 Big Battle Raid!!

So, stupid Helm's Deep, for some idjit reason, is releasing on a monday, sandwiched between two perfectly good 3-day holiday weekends.

so, there will no doubt be people charging forward to test out the new content, and to them, I bid you all good hunting!

however, I think it might be fun to gather up a group of kinnies to raid the big battles for fun and adventure with almost no prep, so, the Sunday immediately after the release of Helms Deep, I plan to make a very special SNS ANYBODY ANY LEVEL CUZ THE SILLY THING AUTO LEVELS YOU EVERYONE GET TOGETHER AND RAID THE BIG BATTLE WOOHOOO!!!...night.

I want to make this as fun and as casual and as unexpected as possible. So...anyone that has actually played the big battles beforehand, don't take this the wrong way please, but SHUUUSH!!! This is for all the folks that couldn't/didn't want to run without a group of friends. If you've run it before, that's fine, feel free to join us, just don't SPOIL THE SURPRISE!!

Remember, this will take ANYONE!! according to what I understand, the big battles will auto level EVERYONE to max level for the purpose of the instance - now, if it works like other versions I've seen, you still won't be equivalent to a max level char that has, for instanced, maxed out their gear, and LI's, and skills, and such - but your base morale, power, basic stats like armor values and such should be doable, if not great.

We will, as always, take anyone of any level of experience, any class. Depending on how many people show up (and I'm hoping MANY), we may trade some folks around for SOME semblance of party/class balance, but we won't spend too much time or effort on making it perfect. I'm hoping to fill at least 2 raids of people, as I think the max size for any big battle is 12.

Now, Helm's Deep releases November 18th, last I saw, which would make this the saturday/sunday of the 23rd/24th of November, the weekend before thanksgiving. So, hopefully, most people will be off, most WON'T yet have to be planning for thanksgiving (although if you're responsible like my parents are and I'm not so much, you might be starting your thanksgiving planning early:))

Now, saturday might work better for some folk, so I'm willing to be available for saturday, sunday, or both if it proves to be really, really popular/fun - my question is, what would work better for people, and how long are you willing to wait? :)

Early/Late are times relative to Andeon's personal body clock, but the TIMES are fixed - I can also help organize anywhere BETWEEN the available times, but I figured I'd nail down earliest to latest, and we can aim for in-between if folks need to

I'd say leave yourself 2-3 hours to run the event - there will be gathering time, then play time, fail time (cuz we HAVE NO IDEA WHAT WE'RE DOING YAAAYYY!!!), re-try time and VICTORY TIME!!! and then party time, of course...

I'm hoping (and rather expecting) that this will be something exciting to experience, ESPECIALLY because most of us will have had a week or less familiarity with our crazy new skill systems, so pile on, we'd love to have you!!

I voted. Early for me.

Master of BOOT,..but otherwise at your service,....And your families.

~Alisette~

This is a great idea. I voted Sunday 5 pm /server time, but I can also go on Saturday at 5 pm.
Apis
Ellinnea
Officer

Awarded:

I love the idea of getting together everyone who doesn't know what they're doing (with their class changes or their traits or the new battles) and plowing through something new together. Sounds like awesome fun.

A bevy of other characters, as listed at my lotro-wiki page
Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

This does sound like fun -- like baking a pie from scratch when you haven't baked that kind of pie before (or used that particular oven, or know what to do with all the ingredients you have on hand).

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Zalana Ayche

re: re: Week 1 Big Battle Raid!!

This sounds like a lot of fun! I put that I would clear my calendar for it.

Awarded:

Trust Byrcha to come up with a pie analogy! I'm actually going on hols myself 24th-27th so won't be able to make anything besides early 23rd est. Have fun you folks!
Bluebonnett
Bluebonnett Merrydo

Awarded:

Byrcha wrote:
This does sound like fun -- like baking a pie from scratch when you haven't baked that kind of pie before (or used that particular oven, or know what to do with all the ingredients you have on hand).

Oh, that DOES sound like fun! You never *quite* know how it will turn out, until you take that first, bite, and it's either MAGIC...or horrible.

Mmm...

Wait, what was the original question? wink

current ideal timing appears to be normal SNS hours, for those that need SNS time, and those willing to clear their calendars for it

thank you all - I'll set my eyes on regular SNS hours then for that particular event, and I'll look forward to fitting as many of you in as possible - spread the word to your friends of every level - we've currently got enough interested for one full 12-man with some leftovers - lets see if we can't fill up that 2nd 12-man so EVERYONE can participate in the full-size 12-man chaos!!

re: Epic Battle Fun!!

thank you all for coming!! we had close to 24 people ducking in and out of various Epic battles, learning things as they went - the 12-man defeated us handily, unfortunately, but we're hoping that with some better time spent understanding the structure of the Epic Battles, hopefully some bug fixes so and perhaps some better writing so we'll have a better sense of what's happening and what we're supposed to do, and some more points spent in those talent trees, and those 12-mans will go a little better.

Sorry I left suddenly, but my game crashed for the 2nd time today, this time in the middle of a sentence - hard crash too, so, I'm hoping it's a problem endemic to lotro that'll get fixed - otherwise, I may have to spend some time checking my install and executables and who all knows what-else?

I hope the experience was relatively painless, and/or at least educational, and I look forward to starting to nail down how these systems work with some more time and experience!

Good hunting to you all!

Greatfun was had, though I, too, crashed out just as the six man got going. Made it back in time to rejoin in progress.

Working together we all benefit ~ Aldekim, Brambel - Lonely Mountain Band ~ Doribolger - Harp and Dragon (LMB alt kin) ~ Athilrond, Ahtook, Nellan, Elye, Sylduril, Nitnoy, Elduryl, Dironen - Clan Etal ~ Kaesy - Lonely Mountain Treasures (Byrdie alt kin)
Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

While dying (repeatedly) on the Wall wasn't exactly pleasant, I would call this first big run a success. Overall, despite the bugs, I call the epic battle system a basic success -- it changes the game. Instead of skirmishes with 'unrealistic' things such as giant spiders in Bree (in the snow no less), or raids with phantom-balrogs (which are fun in their own way, of course), what we have here is something vast/huge/epic which pops right out of the original book. Like one of the landscape epic book quests ... on mega-steroids. Bravo.

The dynamic is also interesting. While everyone is level-95, basically I think everyone is really level-0 until you add points in the epic battle trait trees. Once we get the hang of those new epic skills and add some battle-bling I think we'll be more successful. (Of course some bug-fixes would be nice too.)

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Andeon
Officer

some really, really, almost pathetically basic things we learned:

1 - do not despair...it's not just you - the quest objectives and descriptions are BEYOND terrible. Succeeding at the various objectives that pop up is more dependent on puzzling out what you were MEANT to do from the almost indecipherable descriptions given to you in the middle of a crazy battle, than actually fighting. Once you figure what you're supposed to do, WHERE you're supposed to do it, and which various tiny environment artifacts you were meant to click on in order to succeed at your task, things will get much, much easier.

2 - LOTS of the quest objectives that pop up during the battle are items and/or people that you need to click on to interact with. It can be very difficult finding the key objects, or people, or understanding which ones you're supposed to give orders to or which orders to give or when

3 - zoom out and keep an eye on the environment. A lot of your battle feedback comes back to you either in your combat log (you might want to start keeping a better eye on that and filtering it for more relevant info), but a lot of it comes back to you in the background environment - it's not just pretty pictures out there - the hordes of uruks at the wall, the encroaching catapults - these are now things that you can often interact with (and destroy) with the siege tools at your disposal.

4 - don't get married to any single position in the battlefield. It seems that the epic battles are designed to force you to move around the battlefield, responding to changing threats - don't get tunnel vision - prepare yourself to unhook from the battle of the moment to keep an eye on the changing situations...

In Beta I was so worried if I had to leave my "post" to go do some pew pewing on the far side of the wall. I thought I would come back to find hundreds of Orcs overwhelming my station. But with commanders getting a healing call out to the men, and some well placed catapult shots, there actually IS time to do those side quests.

But dont think its not chaos nevertheless.

Master of BOOT,..but otherwise at your service,....And your families.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Sunday Night Sieges All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: