Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

re: Rivendell Challenge - Saturday Sept 21 at 2:30pm server/EST

Join us for the second annual Rivendell Challenge,
a cross-country war steed race on Saturday, September 21st
at 2:30pm servertime (EST) on Landroval!

Forum Image

The race begins at the Forsaken Inn. Riders will make their way up Weathertop, through the Tornstones,
across the Last Bridge, into the Stone-trolls' glade, and finally to the Last Homely House in Rivendell.

Outfit and train your war steed as you see fit. Light, medium and heavy steeds are allowed.
Speed enhancements which can be deactivated are not permitted.

Top prize: 1,600 Turbine Points
Second place: 10 gold
Third place: 5 gold

Arrive at the Inn early for roleplay and music.
The race route map and checkpoint coordinates will be posted soon.

I wanna be there!

Master of BOOT,..but otherwise at your service,....And your families.

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

A certain someone had the fantastic idea of making this a cross-country "chase" as much as a race. He thought we should recruit half a dozen "black riders" to challenge the racers. They would start on Weathertop, pursue the racers through the Trollshaws all the way to the Ford of Bruinen. They would be allowed to use any speed enhancements and war steed skills to keep up with the racers and harry them.

This seems cinematic and rather cool. I'm wondering if it could become an even more integral part of the event. Of course, the Rivendell Challenge is coming soon, so we'd need to work this out soon.

Would any of you be interested in acting as Black Riders?

How do you think the Riders should interact with the racers?

Thanks for posting your ideas!

Oh my! this would be fantastic. If I am available, I volunteer for judge or black rider.

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Well, there hasn't been a lot of interest expressed here so far. Perhaps we'll just have our judges dress up as black riders, and they'll give chase after everyone passes their checkpoint.

Awarded:

Didn't remember to say anything at riding practice, sorry. Having the judges play the part does sound expedient. And fun!

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Greetings, all!

I need to know how many judges will be available so that I can design the course.

The plan is for each judge to take screenshots of the lead riders, then mount up and "chase" the riders as a black rider (on a war steed if you have one, otherwise your best and blackest steed).

Reputation items, wardrobe items, and black dye are available if you need them for a wraith costume.

I'm going to have a raffle for judge prizes after the race!

Please reply here if you will be available for this event. Thank you!

sorry kira - I *wish* I could follow up more strongly on the race/chase idea - I've just been finding it very difficult to focus on LOTRO the last few weeks...

I'm still interested in the race, and the chase, but, like I mentioned, I'm having a hard time guaranteeing that I'll be available until pretty much the last minute.

for whatever reason, the last few months have offered numerous distractions from LOTRO, and I'm finding it hard to stay focused on events in the world of middle earth

still, I'm keeping an eye on things, and maybe if I can just get a couple of things settled, I'll be able to push this up my list of priorities

in any event, the rivendell challenge still sounds like fun, and I hope to attend

Awarded:

I will hopefully be there, for both judging and Black Riding purposes.

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

`Tinki`
Officer

I hope to be there as judge.

Lhinnthel
Lhinnthel
High Officer

Awarded:

I am hoping to be there as judge/rider but it's hard for me to confirm weekend daytime events until last minute -- I do plan on it unless something major in RL comes up!

Other games :: GW2 (Fayarra.4827) :: ESO (Fayarra26)
"...the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing:
there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

The race is this coming Saturday. Right now, it looks like we have 3 (maybe 4 or 5) judges.
If you'd like to volunteer, please don't delay!
Course judging is easy, you just watch the first dozen riders go by and get screenshots of them, especially the first six.
I'll start mapping out the course today.

Thank you Kira, for yet another fun event. I was checkpoint judge at the Last Bridge and here is what I saw:

Note the 2 shadows just entering the bridge...

Forum Image

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Sorry for the late announcement, I'm still in the middle of a move and also fighting off a cold.

Thirteen riders registered - Airbourne on Beaks, Artemeith on Byre, Baldigar on Keely, Craicwyth on Lossenmeril, Draugelen on Maximus, Finnson on Red, Flamehunter on Unbroken Will, Godwinewon on Zephyr, Kikilaa on Keely, Lelirnel on Dotty, Maerneth on Alagos, Orbag on Moneybag, and Thosialin on Steely Dan.

The riders gathered at the Forsaken Inn for music, ale, and tales of races past. The sky threatened rain and orcs could be seen patrolling the road east. The Call to Post called the competitors to mount up and prepare for the race. Tensions were high and the steeds were reluctant to stand steady on the line. After a false start, a charging shout set the race in motion.

The first checkpoint was a passage between jagged stones at the peak of Weathertop. The riders had to navigate the steep foothills and find one of the two paths up the historic landmark. Once there, they had to descend back down quickly without injuring their steeds. Those familiar with the "Hill of Wind" and surrounding area took an early lead.

The race continued to the Tornstones where earth-kin watched the race with curiosity. The group turned down the Great East Road for an endurance run to the Last Bridge. Once into the Trollshaws, the goal was to visit the Stone-Trolls Glade, however Draugelen and Finnson lost the path and missed a checkpoint. Several other riders became disoriented and lost ground. Baldigar was defeated by bears lurking in the mountain woods and dropped out of the race.

Beyond the glade, the remaining riders were free to find the safest, shortest path into Rivendell Valley. They galloped across the bridges and navigated the scenic landscape toward the Last Homely House. The finish line ran adjacent to the statue of Gil-galad. A small audience was on hand on witness the end of the long and difficult journey.

Forum Image

Kikilaa crossed the finish line first, adding another victory to her career. Artemieth's Byre proved to have great stamina and the pair finished in second place. Veteran rider Craicwyth came in third with Lossenmeril. Thosialin and Lelirnel were not far behind.

Forum Image

Many thanks to our race judges - Byrcha, Kattalina, Lynxa, Miridial and Tinki. Congratulations to Miridial who won a Drum in the volunteer lottery. Thanks to Fortissimmo for covering the event.

Forum Image

Please join us for our next event, the Solve A Mystery Contest, a roleplay event held at Windy Acres Ranch (9 Chestnut, Raglan, Bree-land homesteads). This event is similar to a “murder mystery party”. Prizes will be given for the first participants to correctly solve the mystery. We’ll also have a Halloween costume contest and party.

Last edited by Kiralynn of Rohan on 2013/09/24 10:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

Awarded:

For those wishing to check out the article, it is here: Rivendell Challenge winds along the Great East Road!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: