Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

re: Dye Your Horse's Mane and Tail

Craicwyth has discovered a way that you can dye the mane and tail of several standard steeds. If you’re not staring in awe, let me explain. He’s not dying the mane of his war steed, he’s dying the mane of a standard mount! Here he is on a Wintry Yule steed with a chestnut tail.

Forum Image

Excited? This trick works on some standard steeds that share a war steed equivalent — Wintry Yule, Dagorlad, Dol Baran, Iron Hills, Khundolar, Nightwood, Obsidian, Rhun, Victory, and the new Midsummer steed. It does not work on class mounts or the original store exclusive steeds (Bright Days, Minas Ithil or Night). You need to have unlocked your war steed and purchased at least one pack of steed dyes.

Here’s how it’s done. Mount the standard steed. Press Shift+M to open the war steed window. Select the Appearance tab. Choose a color for your war steed’s mane and tail. Apply the changes. Your standard steed’s hair will change to match. Everyone can see the new colors. Here I am on a Khundolar steed after changing the mane and tail to white.

Forum Image

Hopefully Turbine won’t consider this a bug and “fix” it. It’s not an exploit as nothing is gained or harmed from changing your mount’s mane and tail color except personal enjoyment. Let’s all send our thanks to Craicwyth for discovering this fantastic cosmetic trick!

Awarded:

Hooray for Craicwyth! How wonderful!

Honor and fun,
Gori a.k.a. Dannigan

"No language is justly studied merely as an aid to other purposes. It will in fact better serve other purposes, philological or historical, when it is studied for love, for itself." - J.R.R. Tolkien, English and Welsh (1955)
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien

My Lonely Mountain Band characters include Dannigan (main, 100th-level Human Warden), Briamil (95th-level Elven Rune-keeper), Gori "Mithrilfist" Brightforge (95th-level Dwarven Champion), Mithrilfists (also Gori, 60th-level Dwarven Guardian), and Whittle (95th-level Hobbit Hunter). Far apart, never alone! =)
Apis
Ellinnea
Officer

Awarded:

Wow, that's impressive! It does look like a "bug" in that it was probably not expected behavior, but I agree that it doesn't do any harm and hopefully they won't see any need to fix it.

Very cool.

A bevy of other characters, as listed at my lotro-wiki page
Lhinnthel
Lhinnthel
High Officer

Awarded:

Oooh! How wonderful! Thank you for sharing, I must try this!

Other games :: GW2 (Fayarra.4827) :: ESO (Fayarra26)
"...the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing:
there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Andeon
Officer

that's a fascinating find, to say the least - good work Craicwyth!

however, I can't agree with not fixing it - not because I want to see the feature go away, but because I'm usually *very* suspicious of programming bugs, primarily because relatively mild symptoms (like this one) can often be endemic of much more serious, underlying programming problems. This particular bug could just be the tip of the iceberg of a much larger fault that is somehow linking the visual components of a horse with the standard (fixed) appearance mounts and the modifiable warsteeds.

I guess what I'm trying to say was, if this little *feature* was actually a symptom of the bug that causes riders to get out of synch with the motion of their horses, would you be willing to lose the accidental dying of standard horses to get your synch back?

still, if they don't fix it soon, I'm not gonna cry or nuthin'.

Awarded:

*Watches in wonder as something in the game breaks and now Andeon has the ability to color spiders all over Middle-earth in patterns of his choosing...* =)

Honor and fun,
Gori a.k.a. Dannigan

"No language is justly studied merely as an aid to other purposes. It will in fact better serve other purposes, philological or historical, when it is studied for love, for itself." - J.R.R. Tolkien, English and Welsh (1955)
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien

My Lonely Mountain Band characters include Dannigan (main, 100th-level Human Warden), Briamil (95th-level Elven Rune-keeper), Gori "Mithrilfist" Brightforge (95th-level Dwarven Champion), Mithrilfists (also Gori, 60th-level Dwarven Guardian), and Whittle (95th-level Hobbit Hunter). Far apart, never alone! =)
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Andeon wrote:
however, I can't agree with not fixing it - not because I want to see the feature go away, but because I'm usually *very* suspicious of programming bugs, primarily because relatively mild symptoms (like this one) can often be endemic of much more serious, underlying programming problems.

If they fix this but not the bouncing rider bug, I will be very upset and disappointed. This isn't any more of a bug than that is.

Dannigan wrote:
*Watches in wonder as something in the game breaks and now Andeon has the ability to color spiders all over Middle-earth in patterns of his choosing...* =)

Honor and fun,
Gori a.k.a. Dannigan

oh...oh dannigan...what have you done...

Andeon's private army of spiders - I'd make a chariot of brilliant blue armored spiders (with gold trim) - I'd ride on a pair of the spiders (one foot for each spider) and my impromptu spider "carriage" would be further drawn by 4 more spiders (in 2 pairs). Only 6 spiders total, because more than that would be pompous and extravagant.

on a side note, this game *almost* lost me briefly to the far inferior Neverwinter MMO - they sold
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orbce8I7Rqc

if the poor thing wasn't stupidly overpriced (and also relatively irrelevant, as there are no really large areas in Neverwinter to travel in), I would be riding that thing everywhere every day...

Officer

Awarded:

I'm quite enjoying Neverwinter in a log in for an hour and kill everything kind of way. I wish Lotro was as quick and bug free.[/i]

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Just keep annoying them with your /bug reports. Perhaps we should organize a /bug drive...

Jump to: