Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Caiyyd

Awarded:

re: WARsteed Racing

I have volunteered to head up some warsteed only races this coming season but before I get too wrapped up in creating courses I want some input from ya'll!

A few questions I have:

How many races should we have? Do you want a full season or just a few races every now and then? Do you want standings and a season end big race like the regular runs?

What kind of courses do you want? Lapped races? Obstacle courses? Point A to Point B endurance?

What locations would you want to race in? Should it be kept to low level areas for spectators or should we branch out to higher areas that warsteed riders could still race in safely (Lothlórien, Dunland, etc)?

I had a bit of an idea for a theme of sorts: Following the Fellowship - with races set in places the Fellowship went (Old Forest, Weathertop, Rivendell, etc) with one or two in nearby fun places to run (the ruins near the Forsaken Inn, for example). I am totally open to suggestions and would love some feedback!
Sonca
Vulpes_Velox
Officer

Awarded:

I cannot race a war steed. I have a hard enough time trying to kill something while not getting stuck on a tree. But I will try to make myself available to help as a course judge where ever you need me. I just may need summons or a hunter port to get there. I can also help with some trial runs (non-competitive) in these areas if you wish.

There are some nice areas in Dunland and Eregon(sp?) that could provide some scenic and possible tricky routes to test the riders skills. The ruins south east of the Forsaken Inn could be a great test of agility. The Trollshaws and Forochel have a few areas that could be good for a track as well. I will be on the look out for some others.

From my experience in running somethings for the first time, I strongly recommend you start out easy. It does not take long to find yourself over extended the first time you manage something new, especially if you are listening to the suggestions of a large number of people who all want different things from you. Perhaps only run one race every other month (or even less). And take any recommendations that Kiralynn may have from her experience from running the WAR events. She should be your first resource for advice on an event like this.

Officer

Awarded:

I would love to see war steed races, perhaps even enough to have their own rankings. War steeds are the only horses where the outcome of the race is more in the rider's hands, since he can change up the traits on his steed. (Before you think that pure speed wins, I want to mention that a +68% once finished top-three in a war steed race.) These races will be in addition to the standard WAR racing season.

I think Caiyyd will do a great job organizing them. Let's give a lot of feedback!

Awarded:

Thanks, Kira! I am sure I will be asking you lots of questions as well :)

For folks who re having trouble on their warsteed I will be happy to tell you my setup and even work with you in game so you are more comfortable. I use mine almost exclusively now and seldom have issues with control. At least one of the courses I have scouted so far is one that you probably won't run the whole way at top speed due to some very tricky turns!
Cennwyn
Cennwyn

Awarded:

Don't forget that war-steed handling is about to change (with Update 11 if I'm not mistaken).

Alts include: Tinaith the Elven Huntress, Dereborn the Loremaster of Gondor.
Caiyyd

Awarded:

Yes! Some of the traits that you had to use points for before are going to be built in now. I have been playing some on Bullroarer and think folks will be happy with the changes.
Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

Here's a thought for a somewhat extreme warsteed race. Since you have to be level 75-85 (soon 85+) to have one, we're not restricted to the starter areas and everyone is roughly within 10 levels of each other. Perhaps there is a landscape course in Rohan with mobs which even the 85s would agro? In other words, you'd be dodging not just landscape obstacles but hostile mobs as well. Adds a different kind of randomness (beyond lag or server issues) but one which requires a different kind of racing skill to deal with.

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Sonca
Vulpes_Velox
Officer

Awarded:

[quote="Byrcha"Perhaps there is a landscape course in Rohan with mobs which even the 85s would agro?[/quote]

That would be fun, but we might have to have double the number of judges at each check point, one to judge and one to keep the other from being warg bait. But I would love to give it a shot.
Pick an area that has a few pockets of densely packed mobs where the racers have the choice to try to run through it or take a long way around.
It might be fun to have someone follow the main pack of racers shooting video to watch the melee as they come across a war band!

Officer

Awarded:

I can't find any patch or update notes that say we won't get War Steeds until 85 in the future. As it is, you can get your warsteed around level 50 with help and by level 70 without.

Ya'll alot brighter in the brainpan that I, but reading this gave me an idea someone might tweak if it sounds interesting. Why not have an event where you *count coup* on warbands in the area? specific warbands could be identified....say 2 or 3 of them...the person rides by and hits the specific mob and keeps that recorded...whomever is first to return and show the log entries to judges at start point wins.
Cennwyn
Cennwyn

Awarded:

Brodoric wrote:
Ya'll alot brighter in the brainpan that I, but reading this gave me an idea someone might tweak if it sounds interesting. Why not have an event where you *count coup* on warbands in the area? specific warbands could be identified....say 2 or 3 of them...the person rides by and hits the specific mob and keeps that recorded...whomever is first to return and show the log entries to judges at start point wins.

That's a cool idea!

Alts include: Tinaith the Elven Huntress, Dereborn the Loremaster of Gondor.
Bellcari

re: Counting Coup

Love, love, love this idea. And you wouldn't have to set up any courses! Perhaps it wouldn't even matter if people used milestone travel between approximate locations of the different bands...whom ever found and hit the boss on all the warbands first wins.

Of course, you could also have a team race where you have to beat the war bands...

Would we post approximate warband locations so the audience could have a place to view the action?

This sounds like good fun. Like everything, it's all in the details.
Caiyyd

Awarded:

I will see what I can come up with for that. If not a race then maybe as a fun event for kinmates one day. Not sure how we would see who hit what though...

Sounds like folks want challenges in the races - on level mobs as well as tricky courses, etc. keep the ideas coming and I will keep planning! If anyone want to contact me out of game the email is @gmail.com -username is the same as the one I use here!
Caiyyd

Awarded:

Ok, folks. Asking again for the input on the warsteed races!!

I really need to know if you want standings and a final race or just want to run for fun and glory :) I have 4 routes set at this point but can do a few more if there is interest in a longer season. (for the curious: one in the Shire, two in Forsaken Inn/Weathertop area and one in Rohan)

Still working out some means of doing a coup or warband race.

Suggestions for locations are welcome!
Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

Standings (and bragging rights) would be nice, but since this is the first season and there will likely be some learning/adjusting 4 races is probably enough to get started with.

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: