Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

re: Formation Riding Team - Fourth Routine

Here's the official thread for the formation riding team's fourth routine and show planning. As always, we need to come up with the following:

* The next horse -- Which breed should we use?

* A new uniform -- The last one was brilliant. Can we top that?

* Location -- Do we stay at the horsefields? If we use war steeds, we might need somewhere bigger, yet still with clear boundaries.

* A routine -- This comes after picking the horse; war steed or standard?

* Music -- Once we know how long the routine is, we can find good ABC's.

* Side show -- We have had a horse parade, a mounted fashion contest, and now an introduction of war steeds. What's next?

There's no rush on this. I'm going to take a break, myself. However, if you're bursting with creativity after the last show and want to share your ideas, here's the thread!

Last edited by Kiralynn of Rohan on 2014/08/19 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Awarded:

Before the light of inspiration fades, here is an off-the-top-of-my-hat idea. Warsteeds. Larger venue. So, how about the warsteed training track at Harwick? Obviously this reduces the casual audience considerably (but just how many under-max-level folks did we have in the audience, other than the Meisterbarden band-alts), though maybe someone can summon lower-level folks there for the show (or is the training track quest-gated? I forget). Beyond that, we'll have trouble finding a large, level area (i.e. larger than Horsefields) -- is there a large frozen lake in Forochel?

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

What is the location of the training track? If you're thinking of the area where we do the initial/repeatable war steed training quest, it isn't quest-gated, but doesn't that have a big fence running down the middle of it?

Awarded:

Yes, the place with the fence down the middle. I know I've revisited it after completing the intial warsteed quests, so end-gamers can still enter. We could incorporate fence-jumping into the routine. I know it isn't ideal, it just came to mind as a large/level/safe venue.

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Caiyyd

Awarded:

The one thing I have not liked by being in the team is I never got to see how we looked! Brilliant idea, Kira!
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Let's see if we can get our team roster up to date, especially as far as horses go. Please check your list of +62% and +68% steeds. Post here or comment on the page with any additions. That will make it much easier to pick steeds for parades and routines. Thanks!

http://windyacres.mymiddleearth.com/?page_id=1894

Awarded:

Here's the latest team news:

* Lhinnthel and I have updated our list of steeds on the team roster. Don't forget to visit the page (http://windyacres.mymiddleearth.com/?page_id=1894) and reply with a comment listing your 62 and 68 speed steeds.

* Scouting for a new riding location, large enough for war steeds, has begun! Ideally, we need something 150% the size of the Horsefields arena. We thoroughly searched the Shire and the areas around Bree. We found one field in the Shire, but it was pretty far from any major stables. We found a field SE of Bree at a hobbit's home but the area had a sort of L-shape. We did find a good field at Hengstacer Farms, the one near the ruined gazebo with two orcs on it. The field is really larger than necessary, so routines would have to be designed to stay within viewing distance. Please do scout around for other locations.

* Craicwyth came up with the brilliant idea of deciding on a theme before we pick uniforms, horses and music. That might also help us come up with other show elements. Maybe we'll even want to do something like an ice show, with a little narrated story running through it. Let's hear your ideas!

Awarded:

Okay, in case anyone is curious, here is a real routine from IRL quadrille dressage national championships. You'll need to download the latest maneuvers (graphics or document) from the Windy Acres site, as I have added two diagrams.
http://windyacres.mymiddleearth.com/?page_id=1806

Picture this in the Horsefields, entering as we normally do at the north gate. When I say 1/3-field, I mean 1/3 of the way from north to south. When I say 2/3-field, I mean 2/3 of the way from north to south (closer to south).
This is performed at a WALK with trots in order to position properly during special turns or where specified. (It could be done a trot with canter catch-ups.)
If you want to follow along, I suggest putting pennies on a piece of paper.

1) Enter the field as a block heading south.
2) Block to Row, finishing at 1/3-field. Stop. Salute.
3) Parting Ways (Block) at 2/3-field.
4) Turn south to perform a Pass By at the south end of the field.
5) Turn north to perform a Pass By at 2/3-field.
6) Turn north to perform a Pass By at 1/3-field.
7) Turn north to perform a Pass By at the north end of the field.
5) Heading south, White Tree (Row) Reverse at 1/3-field.
6) Parting Ways in pairs at 2/3-field. (This means the left two riders turn left, transitioning from column to row as they turn. The right two riders mirror this.)
7) Pairs turn south at the side walls, performing Turn to Column. (The pair of riders that just went from column to row go back to a column again.)
8) Pass By at the south end of the field.
9) White Tree heading north.
10) Left turn at north end of field (still in column).
11) Left turn at 1/2-field to do a CCW Hurricane at a trot. (Riders break into column pairs after 2 circles, ending in the NE and SW corners.)
12) Left turn at the corner, left turn again at the corner.
13) Left turn at 1/2-field for south-bound group only. They trot across the field, turn left, and continue to trot until they catch up and fall in behind the other pair, making a single column again.
14) Left turn at NE corner, left turn again at NW corner.
15) Left Turn to Row (from column) at 1/2-field (now heading east).
16) Right Turn to Column (from row) at 1/2-field (now heading south).
17) Right turn at SE corner, right turn at SW corner. (Now heading north.)
18) Right turn at 1/2-field to do a CW Hurricane at a trot. (Pairs break after 2 circles to end up in NW and SE corners.)
19) Right turn at the NW/SE corners.
20) Right turn into row pairs at NE/SW corners.
21) Pairs to Center variant, with the same end position.
22) South riders go south as a row pair, north riders go north as a row pair.
23) Pairs do Parting Ways. (This leaves each rider in a corner.)
24) Corners to center for a walking CW ring, horses almost nose-to-tail.
25) Column pairs break to East and West walls at 1/2-field. Pairs then turn south into columns.
26) Bridge Crossing heading north.
27) Divide that continues into 4 little rings, ending up in same column.
28) Parting Ways into row pairs.
29) Turn right/left at corner to head south in row pairs.
30) Tree of Gondor reverse. Stop. Salute.

Awarded:

Now that you've thrown the pennies across the room in aggravation, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHghWsx1np8

And here is why we need 6 people with stick horses: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wE5rhZa2L4

Awarded:

Did I scare you all away with the routine post? Hopefully you're all busy getting Jester steed for a standards routine, heh!

Let's not leave a ton of work on Craicwyth at the last minute this time. Please go scout for a good war steed performance location that isn't far from a stable master, and recommend themes for the next show.

In addition to a war steed and/or standard routine, maybe we could put on a wild west show, or perhaps a small play that features horses, since that last play at A&T was so awesome.

Awarded:

Kiralynn of Rohan wrote:
Did I scare you all away with the routine post?

Scared?? No. Nooooo. Nope. Absolutely not. Not at all. No way. Not a chance. Not even a little bit. Uh, I'm just waiting for more pennies to be minted. I seem to have run out while throwing mine out the window. I *was* supposed to throw them out the window, wasn't I? Anyhoo, maybe a new Word diagram of the routine will arrive before my pennies do? Feedback from other riders who aren't as penniless as I would also help.

I like the proposed location at Hengstacer's orc-gazebo. I can't think of any horse-themed plays at the moment.

Craicwyth
RohanArchitect
Officer

Awarded:

Don't worry, Kiralynn! You did not scare me a away with that post! Actually, the routine to which you linked gave me some inspiration for the warsteed routine that I wrote up for last time.

Anyways, I had a piece I was going to suggest, and I requested the .ABC file from the EMS, who played it last year, but they have not responded to my request. I might be able to work with some MIDI files that I already have, but I would like your thoughts before moving forward. The pieces are the fifth and seventh movements to Stravinsky's Firebird Suite. Together, they should be right around seven minutes in length. You can listen to them (as well as the sixth movement, which is also a possibility) here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgjGJ0TV6fI

Secondly, I am not convinced that we should give up on our horsefields arena for a number of reasons. It is, for starters, already getting to the size that fade out can occur for the audience. Furthermore, I do think we will be able to maneuver in the confined space, with some practice. For that reason, I would also suggest pushing the performance back to the fall, around the time that the next expansion launches, if not a bit later.

Hmmm...That is all I have for now. Sleepy. Will write more later. Sorry for not responding sooner, but last week was insane!

Officer

Awarded:

Let's see if there is still a way to make the horses move at the same speed... and a fairly slow one at that. Previously, we could buy only Agility, leaving the horses moving at a sane and identical rate. Now, level comes into play and there is no Yellow tree we can avoid. Hopefully tonight we can do some group testing and see how war steed routines will be possible.

Awarded:

I think speed levels up fairly quickly; my warsteed is nowhere near the maximum level, and already has reached her top speed, so I don't think this will be too huge of an issue.

Also, I found another piece of music that may be a possibility: Polovtsian Dances from Prince Igor. Here is a link to a recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjwtgd_byAg

Again, it is an orchestral piece, so it will need some reworking. However, I have found videos of it being performed on a single piano, so I think it is in the realm of possibility. While the overall piece is too long, its division into movements should make it fairly easy to trim.

As always, let me know what you think. You may notice, I have a neo-classical/romantic/classical/baroque musical bent, but at the same time, I would not be adverse to suggestions of rock, folk, country, or anything else, so please suggest!

Officer

Awarded:

I really like all music. It's always hard to choose. Any piece that is 5-6 minutes long and doesn't require more than 4 players (unless you can arrange a full band in advance) should work great for the show!

Page 1 of 8

Jump to: