Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

re: The Fellowship Run - Wednesday, July 11 at 9:30pm ST

Forum Image

Join us for The Fellowship Run on Wednesday, July 11 at 9:30pm server time (EST). Meet at Hengstacer Farms in Bree-land. The first event is a horse show, a mounted fashion look-alike contest. The audience will vote for the winners. The second event is relay horse race for teams of three riders. The final event is a party with music, fireworks and fun.

The horse show is a look-alike contest. Participants must look like Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, Gandalf, Aragorn, Boromir, Legolas, Gimli, Elrond, Arwen, Galadriel, Eowyn, Goldberry, Belladonna or Rose Cotton. Participants and members of the audience can cast one vote for their favorite outfit. The first place prize is a code for 500 Turbine Points, plus a choice of 10 gold or a Perlino mount. Second place wins a choice of 5 gold, a Perlino mount, or a 5th Anniversary Cloak. Third place wins 2 gold.

The Fellowship Run is a relay race requiring teams of three riders. Standard (+62%) horses, ponies, and goats will be allowed. One member of each team will stand at the start line (rider #1), first checkpoint (rider #2), and second checkpoint (rider #3). Rider #1 at the start line will be given a special baton. When the race begins, he must ride to the first checkpoint and trade the baton to rider #2. This rider will race to the second checkpoint and trade the baton to rider #3. This rider will race to the finish line. Once he crosses the finish line, he must go immediately to the verification judge and present the baton. Riders #1 and #2 must not approach the finish line. Each rider of the winning team will receive a code for 500 Turbine Points, plus a choice of 10 gold or a Perlino mount. The second place team wins a choice of 5 gold, a Perlino mount, or a 5th Anniversary Cloak. The third place team wins 2 gold each.

Participants should arrive at least 15 minutes before the event begins and sign up by contacting Kiralynn. The standard Windy Acres Ranch Horse Racing and Horse Show rules apply, with the exception that goats will be allowed.

If you don’t have a team on race day, come to the event and we will put you in a group with other singles who wish to participate.

Last edited by Kiralynn of Rohan on 2012/07/02 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Awarded:

How Horse Races Work

Horse races are exciting events where players choose their favorite standard speed (162%) mount and compete with other riders on a challenging course. A race course has a start line, one or more checkpoints, and a finish line. Riders line up at the start, wait for the /charge signal, pass each checkpoint in the proper direction, and try to be the first to cross the finish line.

Each checkpoint is a landmark or obstacle. Passing a checkpoint typically means going around it clockwise (with the landmark on your right) or counter-clockwise (on your left). Screenshots of checkpoints and a map of the race course are usually included with the event announcement, allowing participants to review the course before race day. Before the race begins, the race coordinator takes all riders on a pace lap. This gives the competitors a tour of the course and allows them to ask questions about rules or checkpoints.

Although all of the horses gallop at the same speed, two factors help separate them out. First, riders must find the best path between checkpoints. Finding a shorter path means crossing the finish line sooner. Second, riders often face numerous obstacles along the race route. These include stone walls, fences, cliffs, water crossings, stairs and hostile creatures. Missing a jump or spraining a leg during a fall can cost a rider the race.

Race judges monitor the riders, checkpoints and finish line to catch any cheaters.

After the race, all participants line up for screenshots. The winners also pose for their own photos. Race results are announced in the forums.

For tips on racing, read the Riding Club Newsletters.

Horse Race Rules

* Riders must register to participate in the race. Registration closes 15 minutes before the event begins.
* Registrations are accepted at the race host’s discretion. Players who have been barred from races for unsportsmanlike behavior may not register.
* Riders must be at the start location at least 5 minutes before the race begins. Participants who pre-registered must check in at least 10 minutes before race time.
* Riders must join a raid fellowship with the judges and remain in it until the race results are announced.
* Only standard horses and ponies will be allowed. @
* No mount speed enhancers will be permitted. All buffs (temporary ability enhancements) must be cancelled before the race begins.
* Riders must only use their horse for transportation. Stables, milestones, wayfaring, camps, rally points, acorns, mustering horns, summons and all other non-mount forms of travel are forbidden.
* Spamming fellow riders, giving a false start signal, having allies ride in the wrong direction to mislead riders, and all other forms of unsportsmanlike behavior will result in disqualification.
* Riders must clear all checkpoints in the proper direction and order. Course judges are the final authority in determining if a checkpoint has been properly cleared. A decision can be appealed if screenshots or video can be presented immediately after the race.
* If a rider falls from his horse, he may mount up again and continue the race. He will not be disqualified for swimming if he is dismounted at a water crossing.
* The winner will be determined by the first rider to cross the finish line, not the first mount.

(@ Fast horses, ponies and goats will be allowed for special events only.)

Relay Race Rules

A relay is a race for teams of three riders. Before the race begins, the members of each team position themselves along the course. Rider #1 waits at the starting line, rider #2 waits at the first checkpoint, and rider #3 waits at the second checkpoint. At post time, the event host gives the first rider of each team a special item to carry while racing, called the baton. When the race starts, rider #1 gallops to the first checkpoint and gives the baton to rider #2 as quickly as possible. Rider #1 then waits at the first checkpoint. Once rider #2 has the baton, he gallops to the second checkpoint, gives the baton to rider #3, and then waits where he is. Carrying the baton, rider #3 races across the finish line and then immediately goes to wait by the verification judge. This judge will ask rider #3 to give him the baton, verifying that the race was completed properly.

It is helpful for identification purposes if the team wears the same outfit or color, or rides the same breed of horse. Raid markers will be used to help identify each team.

* Normal horse race rules apply in relay races.
* The team must have three riders.
* All three riders must go to the proper starting positions before the race begins and remain there until it is time to run their portion of the race.
* Riders must wait at the proper checkpoint after completing their portion of the race. If one rider on a team approaches another when it is not time to pass a baton, the team will be disqualified.
* Riders must pass the baton to their teammate at the appropriate checkpoint.
* The third rider of the team must present their baton to the verification judge. If he does not have the baton, he has not successfully completed the race.
* Specially crafted items will be used for batons. They will be given to the first rider of each team before the race begins by the event host. No other items can be used as batons.
* The winning team is determined by the order in which riders cross the finish line. It does not matter who gives their baton to the verification judge first.

Awarded:

The prizes have been upgraded and finalized.
(Gold donations for this and future events are always welcome and appreciated.)

Last edited by Kiralynn of Rohan on 2012/07/02 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Awarded:

Official word has come in from Celestrata that anyone who volunteers and helps with the Fellowship Run (including musicians) will receive a special forum title. It's optional if you like the special title you already have.

I will need a minimum of 4 judges. A backup or two would be nice. I would love to have 3+ musicians. People willing to launch fireworks, do pipeweed vending, and take high-resolution screenshots are also very much appreciated.

A couple of Banders tried to make me "batons" by creating maces that were high enough quality to be named. For some reason, they weren't able to name them. I am in desperate need of 6 batons with specific names. If you are able to make them, please let me know. I will do my best to compensate you for time and materials. Thanks!

I am going to have a raffle after the event. All volunteer names will be thrown into the pot. One lucky volunteer will win a prize!

as usual, I plan on arttending and will play music as needed.

Working together we all benefit ~ Aldekim, Brambel - Lonely Mountain Band ~ Doribolger - Harp and Dragon (LMB alt kin) ~ Athilrond, Ahtook, Nellan, Elye, Sylduril, Nitnoy, Elduryl, Dironen - Clan Etal ~ Kaesy - Lonely Mountain Treasures (Byrdie alt kin)
Caiyyd

Awarded:

I can hand out goodies or be a judge if you need. I think I have some fireworks as well!
Mellilot
Officer

Awarded:

Mellilot will back up Aldekim with music, if that's all right with him ....
Aldekim
Officer

Mellilot wrote:
Mellilot will back up Aldekim with music, if that's all right with him ....

definitely want a few of us musikin types

Working together we all benefit ~ Aldekim, Brambel - Lonely Mountain Band ~ Doribolger - Harp and Dragon (LMB alt kin) ~ Athilrond, Ahtook, Nellan, Elye, Sylduril, Nitnoy, Elduryl, Dironen - Clan Etal ~ Kaesy - Lonely Mountain Treasures (Byrdie alt kin)
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Good news on the racing front, we now have the batons we need to hold the race!

Thank you Myschief for having the patience (and materials) to figure out why others couldn't name the baton items. (The system doesn't like numbers.)

We may need one extra judge (5 total) if many teams show up. Each team has 3 members, so we can only fit 6 teams in a raid (plus judges). We might need two raids, with a pair of judges in each. If you have any suggestions for a better way to handle a large group of riders, please post. Thanks!

Awarded:

We are now less than one week out from the Fellowship Run!

Thanks to "Summer Fun 2012" advertised and sponsored by Turbine, I am expecting a fairly large turn out at this event. Hopefully we can organize ourselves a little bit before the big day.

So far I have the following volunteers on my list:

Musicians
* Aldekim ?
* Lennidhren
* Mellilot

Checkpoint Judges
* Apis
* Byrcha
* Caiyyd
* Lhinnthel
* Lineerthrae

If you plan to attend with a different character, please let me know so that I'll recognize you when you show up, thanks!

We have enough judges to cover the course, assuming everyone shows up. Please bring fireworks if you have them.

We have 3 musicians. More are always welcome. I'll leave it to you to agree on a playlist.

I could use one or two volunteers to act as "town crier", traveling quickly around the world to advertise the event on the Regional channels before it begins. Is anyone willing?

I could also use a volunteer to be our pipeweed and ale vendor. I am happy to pay for the supplies. Does that sound like fun for any of you?

I think it would be nifty if we all worn the same outfit, or at least the same color. I would love to hear your suggestions on this. Here is a post with pictures of some nice outfits that I can share with you: http://lonelymountainband.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8458577&gid=128176
I wouldn't mind seeing us all in Decorative Hauberk (Black) because it's very easy to spot.

Speaking of easy to spot - My plan is to assign a different raid symbol to each relay riding team. (All 3 members of a team are marked with the same symbol.) This is especially useful for teams that don't find partners until they're at the race. My hope is that all relay riding teams can fit in the same raid group, however this may not be possible. If one of you becomes the leader of a second raid group, let's coordinate so that we don't overlap symbols.

Volunteers, please send me a private message with your Turbine forum community name if you want me to submit your account for a special forum title. I don't need your login name or your character name, just the name that displays when you post in the LOTRO forums. For example, mine is XinaLotRO. If you log into the forums and look at the top right of your screen, it should say "Logged in as [community name]." That's the name I'll need. If you are happy with your current forum title, don't send me your name.

I am still working on finalizing the relay course. We need a start line, two checkpoints, and a finish line. The start and finish lines need to be different to help prevent cheating. If you would like to help design the race course, take a look around Hengstacer farms and make suggestions. I am thinking that the start line should be the last gate of the Hengstacer course, and the finish line should be the first gate of the Hengstacer course -- this will put the riders in clear view of the audience for the start and finish. You could probably think of something better. *grins* Also, the course needs to have numerous jumps, obstacles (such as cliffs), and so forth.

Here is how I'd like to see the event run:

* Musicians show up at 9pm server time and start playing. This will help people know that they have arrived at the proper place for the event. Town criers begin traveling and advertising at 9pm as well. I will start accepting sign-ups for the horse race and fashion show at this time. It would be helpful if we all joined a raid group. You may have questions for me and a raid group helps me filter text.

* At 9:45pm, I will stop accepting sign-ups and begin the horse show (mounted fashion contest). The amount of time this takes depends on how many contestants we have, but I tend to move through riders fairly quickly. Once the contestants are done and we start the voting, some music would be great. It takes me a few minutes to tally votes - music will keep the crowd from getting antsy and spamming me to death. I will then announce the winners of the horse show, award prizes and take screenshots.

* With the show finished, I will announce the horse race. I will invite all of the riders into the raid group. If necessary, we'll start a second group. All of the riders will be marked with a symbol and I'll explain the rules to them. Musicians, please play during this time. The audience usually doesn't hear the rules and they get bored while the racers get organized. Eventually, I will take the riders on a pace lap. Music during this time is helpful, too. Once the riders line up for the real start of the race, we won't need music. I will play the Call To Post. Once the riders are ready, the race begins! After the riders cross the finish line, it is time for music again. It will take awhile for the judges to check their screenshots and compare notes. Once that is done, I will announce winners, award prizes, and take screenshots for the web site.

* Now the party begins! Dancing, music (if y'all aren't too tired), fireworks, pipeweed and ale in great abundance!

Once again, thanks again for volunteering!

Last edited by Kiralynn of Rohan on 2012/07/11 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Awarded:

The Fellowship Run is tomorrow!

Checkpoint Judges - Here are some tips to help you during the event.

Please try to wear Rivendell Green. That will make us easier to spot. If you don't have Rivendell Green, try any other green except for Ranger Green (which is really pine colored). If you don't have anything in green, we'll rustle you up some dye. If you want to match me, I'll be in an elven light armor top, plain pants, and the Bree reputation rabbit cloak (all Rivendell green).

(Musicians, wear whatever makes you happy. If you match each other, so much the better.)

The race course has been finalized. It is posted on the Windy Acres Ranch web site and in the Turbine LOTRO forums. I could use two checkpoint judges at each location. We'll make due with one if we have to.

Please remember to turn your graphical settings very low, and take any other precautions that will minimize your lag.

Please remember to turn floating names ON. You'll want to be able to see them in screenshots. Surnames, kinship names, titles and such should be OFF. They'll cause screen clutter.

IMPORTANT POINTS

This race uses something called CHECKPOINT ZONES. These are different than standard race checkpoints! Riders must be inside the zone when they trade the batons between them. They can enter and leave the zone on any side, in any direction. The zones are spacious so that the riders won't have too much trouble targeting each other to initiate the trade.

You should see the riders pause for a moment while they trade the object. That is a good time to screenshot them. Both checkpoint zones have a raised area (wall or hill or fence) where you can get up high of the ground for a good screenshot view of the riders.

Here is the most important thing - As each rider gives away his baton, he should STAY IN THE CHECKPOINT ZONE. We don't want rider #1 pretending to give the baton to rider #2, then galloping away to hand it to rider #3 while he's waiting for his turn. I'll tell everyone this but you may need to remind them. If they wander a little outside the zone, I don't mind, but if they ride off, teleport away, or otherwise go where you can't see them, they're disqualified. Write the offender's name down so that you can report it to me after the race is over (I may be too spammed during the race to hear you).

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Don't panic if we encounter some bumps along the way, that always happens. If we get one of the famous trolls at the event, please try to ignore them, thanks!

Awarded:

Many thanks to everyone who showed up to volunteer. The event couldn't have happened without you!

Please PM me your Turbine forum name (not the name you use to login) if you would like a special forum title at my.lotro.com

I am hoping that someone managed to get some good pictures of the events. Unfortunately, I was spammed and harassed nearly out of my mind, so I didn't manage to take many screenshots. I'd love to post some good ones on the Windy Acres site, if y'all don't mind.

I'll write more soon!

I assume names of the winners of the race will be posted. I got them from the fashion contest (which was really a great contest), but I was not able to keep up with the announcement of the team member names of the race top three teams. All in all another splendid event! (I really had doubts about making this team relay concept work, but it turned out well in large part due to your fine management of it all)

Apis
Ellinnea
Officer

Awarded:

Here are the pictures I took during the event: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elinnealotro/sets/72157630544761664/

I'm a pretty terrible photographer. First I was blinded by Aegthil, and so failed to catch most of the fashion contestants, and then at the end I got a wee bit distracted by our spontaneous Rohan lineup. *cough* But it was a fun event! Thanks for hosting, Kira.

A bevy of other characters, as listed at my lotro-wiki page
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Here are my thoughts on the Fellowship Run. I would sincerely appreciate any constructive comments you might make.

* Someone suggested the idea of themed fashion shows. This added a little more fuss to setting up the show, as many contestants arrived but didn't have an outfit of the proper theme. The event was advertised for a long time, as far and wide as possible. I think that everyone who saw the event on a calendar or post knew what to expect. However, the folks who arrived due to advertising in Regional were unprepared. I'm not sure what can be done about this, since the ad is already fairly long with just key information. There are more themed shows on the Windy Acres calendar, perhaps half are "open" and without a theme.
-- What do you think of the idea of a themed fashion show? Shall we keep the ones we have scheduled or switch to an open format for all of them?

* Someone requested a relay horse race. This sounded like a fantastic idea. Someone else recommended using named objects for batons as a way to deter cheaters. That was brilliant! Unfortunately, I don't think the race went well at all. First, NO ONE pre-registered as a team. Almost everyone had to be wrangled into teams. Not everyone was happy with their assignment of partners. Serious competitors ended up in teams with kids who were just goofing around. 80% of participants seemed to understand what to do, but the remaining confused 20% asked a lot more questions than I normally get. Also, we had stragglers without partners, and tried to wait until we could find someone to ride with them. Instead of taking 15 minutes to organize a race, it took over an hour.
-- What do you think of relay races? Is there a way to organize teams faster and more fairly, or shall we scrap the idea?

* The biggest detriment to the event was the number of immature players in attendance. I know that at least a few were IRL children, probably allowed to stay up late since it's summer. I encountered literally ten times more problems at this event than at any other event I have hosted. Here's a run down...

- One kid who didn't seem to know how to use voice chat; she babbled and shouted to friends IRL, for everyone in the raid to hear.

- One player who engaged in heavy breathing in voice chat, and made a "funny" comment about it privately.

- A high percentage of players who went AFK or otherwise didn't respond to anything in whisper, raid, or regional chat. We added at least 15 minutes to the delay just trying to wrangle people who had signed up. I understood people going AFK right before the race, since it took so long to organize, but I had a frighteningly high number of people start going AFK off and on from the very beginning.

- Several people had spam-tantrums when they weren't allowed in because they showed up half an hour late and registration was closed. One person had a spam-tantrum because she didn't win.

- Two people were disqualified for unsportsmanlike behavior during an event - one of these was for a spam-tantrum. I gave two warnings, one private and then one public, before DQing anyone.

- The number of "harassing" questions was insane yesterday. Superdangerman was the worst offender. I consider a question harassing after the information has been given in raid chat and the question has been privately asked and answered twice.

- One of the racers, Midevilteddybear, tried to hold the baton hostage and told me to give him gold before he would return it. I couldn't convince him otherwise. Finally, I told Whopperjr (his troublemaker partner) that his team was going to be awarded prizes, but instead was getting DQed because Teddy wouldn't turn in his baton. He harassed Teddy into bringing it back, even though Teddy kept demanding to know "what prize". I had been intending to give that team a prize, as an apology for the long wait and difficulties getting the race started. I ended up resenting giving them anything. At least I got the baton back. I have now developed an instinctive mistrust of anyone with a silly name.

-- On the plus side, Turbine applied a "Game In Progress" buff to most of our riders (all but the late-comers) that locked them to 100% movement, regardless of other factors. Horray, Turbine! That was awesome!

-- Also on the plus side, Beorbrand won 1000 TP and 20 gold. Most of the prizes went to LMB members.

I feel like the show was a moderate success but that the relay race was an overall failure. I simply couldn't manage that much chaos in my chat window. Perhaps in future events, I should ask for a volunteer to either take sign-ups or handle questions, so that these duties (and thus the volume of text) is divided across two people?

Infinite kudos to the judges and musicians. I think the crowd would have rioted if not for the music. The event would never have happened without the judges. I apologize to everyone for the event running so long. No event ever took that long in the past.

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: