Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

re: Pre-Order of Riders of Rohan - What did you buy... or not?

I have looked over the Riders of Rohan expansion. The pre-order items have not inspired me to buy the game right away. All of the items I want will be available in a few months, when the Legendary edition costs only $35.

Have you pre-ordered?

If so, which edition did you buy?

Can you tell us more about war horse session play?

What speed is the Steed of the Eastemnet?

Do you like the new cosmetics? Post a screenshot of them here...

I have not pre-ordered yet. But I'm curious - where are you seeing that the legendary pack will be dropped from $70 to $35 and when will that happen?
Apis
Ellinnea
Officer

Awarded:

I was hoping to get the sixth bag from the pre-order, and I certainly like getting new cosmetics, but I can't afford the price. So now I think I'll just wait until it goes live. I wish I could be more excited about it.

But I am dying to know what the horse session play is like. Please, regale us with stories if you've tried it. =D

A bevy of other characters, as listed at my lotro-wiki page
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

The price drop is standard for Turbine. If you check their online marketplace, you can see that the Rise of Isengard expansion packs are still available with most (if not all) of the goodies they came with at pre-order... for half the price.

Continuing coverage is available on mounted combat at the Windy Acres Ranch web site.
I am updating the information throughout the day as it becomes available.
Visit the site for images of the new war horses and game play video!

http://windyacres.mymiddle-earth.net/?p=1612

Awarded:

I think the war-steeds will only become available with the expansion... right now, all you get with the pre-order is the Steed of the Eastemnet, which is a normal non-combat horse.

Personally, I was a little disappointed when I saw the pre-order site. I was looking forward to having a 6th inventory bag, but I simply can't afford the $70 for the legendary edition. So I'll probably be getting the base edition sometime this weekend, and buying the 6th inventory bag when it becomes available in the store.

There's another thing that's really worrying me -- and I did mention this in kinchat as well. The Legendary edition comes with a special item that allows the player to add an additional 7th legacy to an LI. Obviously, people with 7 legacies on their weapons/class items will be more powerful. So there's a definite possibility that this will affect people's eligibility for PUG raids. I've been rejected from PUG raids for some really -- pardon the expression -- stupid gear-related reasons. I'm hoping, with all my heart, that PUG leaders won't start dismissing people who have only 6 legacies on their LIs because they couldn't afford to fork out $70.

I've seen a few people already running around with the pre-order steed and the new cosmetics -- I almost mistook them for Rohirrim NPCs from Stangard, before I realized they were in Bree! In other words, the cosmetics look really cool.

Officer

Awarded:

I'm struggling to see any reason to pre-order to be honest. One or two things are nice to have but I can wait. As for level 20 Cloaks, level 75 armour or xp tokens only of use up to 75 - all useless.

Perhaps someone can convince me but you will have to work hard to do it.

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Anarwald wrote:
I think the war-steeds will only become available with the expansion... right now, all you get with the pre-order is the Steed of the Eastemnet, which is a normal non-combat horse.

Correct. However, your war-steed will have the Eastemnet skin if you buy the pack.

Anarwald wrote:

So I'll probably be getting the base edition sometime this weekend, and buying the 6th inventory bag when it becomes available in the store.

Right there with you!

Anarwald wrote:

There's another thing that's really worrying me -- and I did mention this in kinchat as well. The Legendary edition comes with a special item that allows the player to add an additional 7th legacy to an LI.

This is already available in a few other areas of the game. (Just like the +25% XP token is out there with RoI, in the store, and as a potential drop in the game.)

I bought it this morning. I suppose i'll give a lil review. I bought the Legendary one, it was about $76 or so with tax. I got:
*3 capes - these were more cosmetic than anything, one was hoodless- one not, they are very "rohan" looking, the status on them wasnt anything I would equip, but i also have the dragon cloak now.
*cosmetic rohan armor- this armor was neat, the helm piece i can see alot of people liking, the tunic was very detailed. non-dye able though. I only equip the boots on soul. Personally , for a Rune keeper, i dont think i would equip the other pieces seeing as they are very much for a solider type class.
*traits for Skirmish solider- i believe there were 4? to change cosmetically the solider to race of man or woman rider of rohan.
*rohan steed- i liked the steed, he was light colored with green tac and cape draping (sorry for the incorrect word usage) he looked alot like the hunter steed in my opinion though. but its always nice to get another horse!
*crystal of remembrance - this is the main reason why i wanted this package, and because of the 6th inventory bag. I havenet used it on my 75 2nd age LI , but i will be using it once i see what kind of LIs become available with the update.
*6th bag- I got this immediately, along with a letter for a new quest.
*extra experience tome- this only works up to lvl 74, i only have one other alt, and i dont believe i can use it on her, i will have to check if its bound to character or account.

overall, if you have the extra money to spend, and you are really excited about getting the cosmetics and steed, i would say go with this package. but if thats not what you are looking for, then the price is kinda steep for what you get. either way i would have ordered this package so i am not really disappointed.

I have the cosmetics in my vault. so if anyone would like me to link them in a tell, i would be more than happy to do that for you so you can try them on your character and see what you think before ordering.
Happy adventures all!
<3
soul

Last edited by Soulariuis on 2012/06/05 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

"Elves apparently did not sleep, but rested their minds in waking dreams or by looking at beautiful things.."
Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

Makes sense to preorder if you're at/near level-cap -- why not get some bonuses since you'll end up paying to get the content anyway. Otherwise? The horse-quest sounds like fun, cosmetic variety is a nice option, and everyone could find uses for a sixth bag. But is that worth $70, with no bonus TP? Since I'm not even to Moria yet I think I will play wait-and-see for now, pending new details.

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Harperella
High Officer

Here's my take on the pre-order goodies:
Base Edition
Steed of the Eastemnet - Mounts are generally about 1295-1995 TP for each char. This is a mount for your entire account.
Friend of the Mark Title
Friend of the Mark - Titles are a dime a dozen. No real value.
Rohan Elite Statted Cloak - Probably about 200TP in the store.
Rohirrim Appearance on Landscape - I'd say 95TP worth, and that's per character.
Total Base Edition Goodies: 2000-4000 TP, depending on how many alts you play

Heroic Edition
Hauberk of the Eastemnet - Cosmetic item is about 95TP
Evendim, Moria, Lothloria Quest packs - About 2-3000 TP if you aren't VIP. Nothing if you already have these packs or are VIP.
Outrider's Token - probably 500TP per character. You'll want multiple tokens if you use alts at all.
Total Heroic edition additional goodies: 500-1000TP if VIP, 3000-3500TP if Premium and you don't have the quest packs.
Legendary Edition
6th Inventory bag - This will probably be in the store eventually for somewhere between 995-1995TP per character. Since this is account wide, its probably the most valuable goodie in the whole basket.
Crystal of Remembrance - LI enhancers like this will probably be 895TP in the store. If you get one per character, that can add up quick.
Exclusive Rohan Content - You get some sort of mystery skill for your war-steed. It will probably be fairly weak, on par with racial traits like "Stoop for a stone" or "Upper Cut". Maybe 300TP for this?
Total Legendary edition additional goodies: 2500-5000TP, depending on how many alts you have.

So my breakdown is this:
If you are a premium player who owns Moria, Lothlorien, and Evendim, or isn't close to those lands, then the Base package is best.

If you are a new or returning player with alts to level and you don't have Moria, Lothlorien and Evendim, then the Heroic Package is best.

If you are a VIP player with multiple level cap characters, then the Legendary Package is best. If you have a single main, then its a little less of a value, since you can buy those perks later in the store. Don't underestimate the value of an account unlocked 6th bag. They -will- sell it per character after RoR launches. Vault upgrades cost 995 per character. I'm sure that the 6th bag will cost more.

So basically, they've separated their customers into three bins:
Casual players who want to spend the least money for the no-frills experience.
Premium players who like to pay-as-you-go, this includes new players and returning players who just want to level to the new content for a couple of months.
Dedicated LOTRO fans who have multiple alts and are playing long-term.

I will be buying the legendary package on my main account, and the base package on my second account.

--Harper

Awarded:

Turbine has confirmed that pre-order is NOT required to get access to the deeds.

The only things that come with pre-order are:

Rohan Elite Guard Statted Cloak - there are other cloaks with better stats.

Rohirrim Soldier on Landscape Appearance - These are really nice, but are they nice enough to pay full price now, instead of half-price later? I have never actually summoned my soldier on the landscape.

The Outrider’s Token - If you already have the +25% XP token from RoI (or elsewhere), this is of no benefit to you.

The most important upgrade, the 6th bag, can be purchased later when the Legendary edition is only $35.

Kiralynn of Rohan wrote:

The most important upgrade, the 6th bag, can be purchased later when the Legendary edition is only $35.

The 6th bag is specifically a pre-order special. I don't think they will sell a after-launch edition with this same item. Some pre-order specials are never available in any other form later. Other pre-order items sometimes find themselves into the store. Pre-order Cosmetics and mounts are often unique to that deal. This was true for the RoI mounts and cosmetics. While the RoI XP accelerator eventually was offered in the store for something like 495 TP, IIRC.

For a new feature like a 6th bag, I am convinced that Turbine will roll this out in the store rather than as a future bundle. And I think they will sell it as a per-character upgrade. It is a little like the barter wallet, in that it expands existing UI functions. And it is a little like the vault upgrade, in that they will want to sell it to you per-character. And a little like the extra bags that F2P players have to purchase. I don't think we've ever had a UI expansion offered as part of a pre-order package. So its new territory in that respect. But one way or another, Turbine will make us pay for it!

In general, I look at the price of virtual goods like this:
- Buy something before it is available == discount
- Buy something immediately when it becomes available == high price
- Buy something a few months after it is available == true price
- Buy something that has been available a quarter or more == intermittent sales

It sounds like Kiralynn is in the "wait for the sale" camp, while I'm in the pre-order discount camp.

--Harper

Awarded:

Kiralynn of Rohan wrote:
The Outrider’s Token - If you already have the +25% XP token from RoI (or elsewhere), this is of no benefit to you.

For clarification, the Rohan token works up to level 75, whereas the Isengard token was only up to level 65. A small point, perhaps, but this token WILL work for 10 levels that the Isengard one won't. Essentially, the tokens are designed to help you level quickly up to the START of the expansion, not the level cap.
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Harperella wrote:
The 6th bag is specifically a pre-order special.

Good news! The 6th bag is absolutely NOT a pre-order special. I confirmed this with Turbine directly. It comes with the Legendary edition, whether you pre-order it or not. If you wait for the price to drop, you will still get the 6th bag on all characters.

For what it is worth, developers have confirmed that the 6th bag will be available day one of the new expansion in the Turbine store as an account wide item purchase.

That locks me as a base edition prepurchaser. Probably pretty soon...

Working together we all benefit ~ Aldekim, Brambel - Lonely Mountain Band ~ Doribolger - Harp and Dragon (LMB alt kin) ~ Athilrond, Ahtook, Nellan, Elye, Sylduril, Nitnoy, Elduryl, Dironen - Clan Etal ~ Kaesy - Lonely Mountain Treasures (Byrdie alt kin)
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: