Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Sunday Night Sieges
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andeon
Officer

re: Sunday Night Siege 03/18/12

all right - well, as always, its hard to get everyone's focus at any one time - we had a fun little turtle run this tuesday - always a good way to whet the appetite

Then, we had two runs through Barad Gularan - for those that don't know it, Barad Gularan is a little used instance about midway in northern angmar - Carn Dum is west, then barad gularan sorta in the middle, and the rift far to the east

Barad Gularan is a relatively simple and straightforward dungeon for the most part - at level (lvl 50) the final boss encounter can be VERY challenging - at 60+, it's fairly forgiving :) But there are several deeds in Barad Gularan that are part of the meta-deed set for Angmar, so there ARE reasons to go there, and we had two successful groups go in tonight, in addition to what sounded like a great company of other adventures. I heard tell of a Grand Stairs group as I was leaving, and while we had a significant company willing to try their hand at the Watcher in the Water, we didn't have *quite* enough, and instead headed for Barad Gularan, which many people were still looking at completeing deeds and whatnot for

For next week, Kiralynn mentioned that she has a strong interest in Helegrod - I think I heard her say that she's finished the various wings, and would like to challenge Thorog, until recently, the only true dragonkind you could face in LOTRO (sorta - its kinda complicated what Thorog actually is - but I'll get into that later)'

Running Thorog allows 24 people, and we'll want *close* to that number in order to proceed - Thorog is lvl 50+, so there are lots of people that may be able to attend, but you also need to have finished the 3 "wings" of helegrod - spider wing, giant wing, and drake wing - before you can undertake Thorog - each of the wings is a 12-man run, and I'm happy to help various people run through those wings for the unlocks as well (ESPECIALLY SPIDER WING!! OOOH...WINGED SPIDERS...MMMMMMM)

We didn't get to tackle the Watcher, so theres still that undone for many interested folks, and several others above have mentioned need to return to Sammath Gul (thats 60+ right?) for vol 2 epilogue (and there are other good reasons for running it, if only for the fun of fellowship and a reasonably challenging instance)

And, as always, there are folks that need various quests, deeds and items from Carn Dum and Urugarth, and there always will be, I expect

So - theres lots of activity ready and waiting for folks this upcoming Sunday - I'll be on again (and hopefully closer to on-time) remember, SNS proper starts around 2pmish PST (thats 5pmish EST), although folks are welcome and ENCOURAGED to gather up folks whenever/wherever they can find them. post your interests here, or start a new thread if you like

Let's get a feel for how many Thorog hunters we might have:

Cam and Saker have completed all wings. Several others are still working their way through the wings.

Aldekim
Officer

Aldekim has done all wings, none of my others have done any.

Working together we all benefit ~ Aldekim, Brambel - Lonely Mountain Band ~ Doribolger - Harp and Dragon (LMB alt kin) ~ Athilrond, Ahtook, Nellan, Elye, Sylduril, Nitnoy, Elduryl, Dironen - Clan Etal ~ Kaesy - Lonely Mountain Treasures (Byrdie alt kin)
Cennwyn
Cennwyn

Awarded:

By the time Sunday rolls around again, I'll probably need to do Sammath Gul as well.

Alts include: Tinaith the Elven Huntress, Dereborn the Loremaster of Gondor.
Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

Since Byrcha would either get lost enroute to or need a litter to return from any of the scary places listed elsewhere in this planning thread, I'd like to request some occasional consideration for some intro-/lower-level instance runs. I've only done parts of GB and GA, but mostly what I need is to learn how to group/raid in general.

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

`Tinki`
Officer

Tinki has done all 3 wings.

Master of BOOT,..but otherwise at your service,....And your families.

Andeon
Officer

for byrcha - we try to run the lower level instances as often as we can - but it's always been a bit difficult - very few people stay in the 20-30 level range for very long, so we rarely have a consistent pool of available people - I myself have a small hoard of alts between 20-27, but thats because I built them mostly as crafting support and mules, and play them once in a blue moon

nevertheless, when we find a sufficient number of interested lower level folks, I'm more than happy to organize, and often run, Great Barrows runs, and as the Garth Agarwen runs are particularly easy to put together (needing only 3 people for two of the instances, and six for the third) when we find people up for that, I'm more than happy to work putting together those groups

if you find yourself on during the Sunday Night Siege, be sure to call out your interest and support (and probably PM myself or Tinki, if he's on) and we'll do what we can to organize or run a group in those level ranges

I've even taken several groups out to Fornost - thats a very time-consuming run, and seems few people are interested in it usually - so I'd start gathering interest early, and see what you can find

If you're in the 30ish level range, you might think about just logging on and seeing if you can convince a couple of others to join you for Garth Agarwen - the instances are relatively simple and straightforward, and needing only 3 people, relatively easy to find folks for it

also, remember to use the chat channel alesandtales - this is not only our virtual tavern, but is also our callout location for gathering groups - please remember to be as polite and generally RP friendly when putting callouts in the channel, but you may often find a wide variety of friends of the band (or band members on non-kinned alts) hanging out in this channel, often willing to help, and a little less random than GLFF

Officer

Awarded:

I usually run skirmishes for Sunday Night Skirmishes (thus the name) But I (or actually Laerlenn, my level 32 mini), would be happy to take part in a Great Barrows run on Sunday. I can't lead it because I have never done it, but I would be glad to go!

On Crickhollow - Morivanye- Rangers of Ithilien

On Anor: -Morfindiel, Laerlenn -Mythgard

On Ithil: Morfindiel - The Kin

CGriffin
Officer

veteranlurker wrote:
Since Byrcha would either get lost enroute to or need a litter to return from any of the scary places listed elsewhere in this planning thread, I'd like to request some occasional consideration for some intro-/lower-level instance runs. I've only done parts of GB and GA, but mostly what I need is to learn how to group/raid in general.

I've got a 20-something burg, a 40 LM and a 40-ish mini, who all need people to adventure with. Waryn is now starting to figure out this minstrelly thing. Laurel is now able to leave the Esteldin crafting hall without dying! Sol on the other hand just seems to spend most of her time borrowing drinks in the Dragon.

Aldekim
Officer

just so folks know, I have 27 (Nitnoy)and 32 (Sylduril) minstrels and a 29 (Nellan)guard plus Kaesy 55 guard, Ahtook 71 guard and Aldekim. Brambel is a 25 hunter, but not played much (except for tidying up the chests at the Harp & Dragon)so not on top of his adventuring skills.

Working together we all benefit ~ Aldekim, Brambel - Lonely Mountain Band ~ Doribolger - Harp and Dragon (LMB alt kin) ~ Athilrond, Ahtook, Nellan, Elye, Sylduril, Nitnoy, Elduryl, Dironen - Clan Etal ~ Kaesy - Lonely Mountain Treasures (Byrdie alt kin)
Lennidhren
RannaDylin
High Officer

Awarded:

Lennidhren has completed the 3 Helegrod wings and would love to be present for the dragon-downing too someday. And for running people through the wings I could also bring Horazia (61 Minstrel) who has yet to complete any of them and will do her best not to let people die. I've almost got the hang of this "healing" thing again, I swear...

For the lower instances, I have a level 20 Champ (Vigg) and 27 Warden (Horazio) but don't know if they'd be much use in a group, as long as it's been since I've done anything but crafting on them. However, Linett the Captain is now level...twenty...something...26 maybe? I keep forgetting where I've left off with her. Anyway, she would be happy to join in GB and before long, GA runs.

Awarded:

Just to clarify, I have never been to Helegrod. I have only been to... five instances ever? The Great Barrows, something with a Red Maid, somewhere with a giant tree with bees, a Tomb of Elendil that bugged and froze halfway through, and uh... uh... okay, maybe four instances? Oh wait! I went into some kind of corridors of Night, or halls, or a really big tunnel. (I couldn't see very well through the darkness and blood dripping down into my eyes.) All we found there was pain, misery and death. We didn't get far. Anyway, suffice to say, I have very little experience with fellowships. Nothing where we weren't ridiculously over-level. I can use any advice you can offer.

Oh yeah... there's a dragonlike thing in there? Seriously? Woo!

No worries Kiralynn. I love leading people through instances for the first time - it sounds weird, perhaps, but I really do. Helping folks get a handle on the basics of grouping, de-mystifying many of the fearsome ideas that loom over grouping, and generally prepping folks for being very agreeable companions in the future, is one of my personal joys here in the Lonely Mountain Band.

Sounds like you've done the Great Barrows - at least one wing of Garth Agarwen, possibly two (I can't remember if the tree is in the SAME instance as the red maid, or a different one, but I *think* its a different one) - The Tomb of Elendil is one of those odd, "instanced" quest lines, but not an *instance* in the sense that I normally think of them - and the Halls of Night is quite a bit of fun, albiet a rather high level instance, and so somewhat difficult.

As for advice...honestly, there are SO many basic ideas to teach about grouping, and I can easily spend an hour (which translates into 2 or 3 solid pages of text generally) talking about it - I really should, one of these days, write-up a general guide and put it in the training hall, but theres *so* much to cover, the sheer organizing of ideas would be an impressive feat in itself

My most general advice - be frank, as you have already been, about your general inexperience - most group leaders will appreciate knowing whether they can rely on you for advanced tactics, or expect that you might be somewhat slow to react and/or inefficient in your skill usage - knowing that means they can account for it, and that makes it easier to deal with. Don't worry about not knowing your skills perfectly, or being perfectly geared - even those of us with FIVE level capped characters (glares at Isilwren briefly) can often find ourselves struggling to remember how to USE a particular character if we haven't played them in awhile. Just make sure your group *knows* this, and most folk remember that they too were once still learning, and are happy to help you make your way through

there ARE some groups that may have a more practical/efficient priority in their grouping - they may ask you to leave so that they can make the most profitible, timely run they can manage - it's disappointing sometimes, I know, but they have the right to proceed through the game with their own priorities as well; making sure your prospective group knows what your limitations might be is polite, to be sure, and may help you avoid much greater unpleasantness later if they find out halfway through your adventure that you're not meeting their expectations - however, Sunday Night Siege is PARTICULARLY geared towards trying to make sure that groups are gathering in the spirit of learning and fellowship, with a much lower priority on efficiency and profitability, so you should feel free to join in the fun, and use it as an opportunity to learn your craft

I look forward to seeing what develops this sunday - in the meantime, i'm off for a walk - good hunting everyone!

Andeon saving Tinki from certain death!

Forum Image

Master of BOOT,..but otherwise at your service,....And your families.

Andeon
Officer

Nice shot Tinki! Makin' me look good :)

truth be told, that Watcher run is a confusionfest - but, I promise you, we'll see the end of the watcher - its just nailing down that early transition between stages 2 and 3 - its without a doubt the single hardest part of the battle, and the point at which every good group I've worked with fails until they get that transition sequence nailed down

I'll emphasize again, the key points of the watcher battle are
1 - knowing where you should be standing, and when
2 - being able to STOP attacking when told, and resuming on command
3 - making sure that, during stage 3, the MOMENT the watcher head pops up, you need someone tanking that head, someone pulling corruptions off the head, and ideally, someone standing by to keep them both alive :)
4 - when "The Watcher Shakes with Rage" - finding that spot where you can stand and take minimum damage from the AOE

for those that haven't done the watcher in awhile, its possible the fight has changed slightly (or possible that several members just encountered behavior that they never ran into randomly before) the dangling tentacles now appear to spawn much closer to the head during the 3rd stage than most people remember - this can take your tank out of the fight rather thoroughly if you're raid isn't prepared to free him/her in short order

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: