Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> J.R.R. Tolkien
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
gaiagil
Officer

Awarded:

re: LMB Book Club, Silmarillion ch. 13 -- November 5th

Hi Everyone,
We tried to gather to discuss chapter 13 on October 29th, but as I was the only one prepared until Andeon tumbled out of bed, I thought it best to go ahead and postpone this one until this weekend. So, we're still on chapter 13 for November 5th's meeting. Here are my questions for the chapter:

1. The chapter opens with the Second Battle of Beleriand and Fëanor's death. Let's discuss the fall of Fëanor. What contributes to his demise and how do others react to it?

2. Last chapter we discussed the symbolism of the sun as belonging to men. Yet, in this chapter, Fingolfin's return is tied to the sun's first rising: "But as the host of Fingolfin marched into Mithrim the Sun rose flaming in the West; Fingolfin unfurled his blue and silver banners, and blew his horns, and flowers sprang beneath his marching feet, and the ages of the stars were ended." What is the significance of this passage?

3. The rescue of Maedhros is an important moment in Noldor history from what I can see. Do you agree or disagree? Why?

4. Let's discuss Thingol's welcome of the Noldor whom he "welcomed not with a full heart." Why is Thingol reticent to embrace his cousins? What effect does his welcome have on the Noldor?

5. Of the Feast of Reuniting, the Mereth Aderthad, Tolkien wrote, "the joy of that feast was long remembered in later days of sorrow." And yet, it was not well attended by the sons of Fëanor or the emmissaries of Thingol. What do you make of this detail?

6. Finrod and Turgon both start to think of building grand houses because of their encounter with Ulmo. What did he say to them, in your opinion?

7. The first battle of Beleriand did not receive a name. It is the battle Thingol, the dwarves and the Nandor engaged in, and the reason Melian devised her girdle. The second battle was known as Dagor-nuin-Giliath (Battle under the stars), and the third was known as Dagor Agalareb (The glorious battle). Why the need to name those two battles? What is the significance of the namings of some battles but not others?

8. In this chapter, we see Gothmog and Glauring for the first time. What were your impressions of these creatures?

9. After Glauring retreats, Beleriand enjoys 200 years of peace. During that time, "the Noldor and the Sindar became welded into one people, and spoke the same tongue." Tolkien goes on to enumerate differences between the two even so. How well do they meld?

Here's to a grand discussion!
Gaiagil

Can I join the book club? I'd love to join. I've been reading the Silmarillion (second time I tried - but easier this time)

Awarded:

re: Re: LMB Book Club, Silmarillion ch. 13 -- November 5th

So...will we revive book club?
When we'll meet?

blushing I hadn't realized this was from 2011 surprised
But I'd be all for it reviving:)

bethanna wrote:
blushing I hadn't realized this was from 2011 surprised
But I'd be all for it reviving:)

me, too

High Officer

Awarded:

I'd love to see it start up again but I for one haven't time to run it. If someone wants to volunteer...it was a lot of fun while it lasted!

Lenn,
You did an amazing job. I don't know if anyone has the time to do what you did (not that I'd tell the Tolkien Professor 'no' if he wanted to wink

But what about just saying we are going to try to read x by time y, and get together to talk about it. IT wouldn't be the quality of what you did, but we could enjoy each other's company, and the books?

I really loved the bookclub, and Lennidhren was the perfect host for it, although, as you can see, Gaigil and several others if I can remember correctly, took their turns hosting and driving the discussion, and did fantastically

I've wanted to revive it on several occasions, and then I get swamped with stuff, and feel like I can't devote the time to it that it needs in order to be really well done

but, if we can pick a time that I can manage to get to (early sundays are rough for many church-going folks, and I'd really like to continue directly running SNS, which kills sunday afternoons for me, but early saturdays, late late late saturdays or late late late any weeknight (we're talking starting around midnight PST :)) I can participate or possibly even run (or at the least assist) - however, as I have such a limited playtime slot available, you can see why I haven't really been able to get focused enough to start running it again

in short, if someone wants to start running it at a time I can attend, I'd be more than happy to assist, and at the very least, attend and contribute (vigourously) - if there are enough people with similarly wacky playtime slots, I'd even love to run it, although any assistance/guidance would be welcome, although, as I said, as my playtime availability is so narrow and unusual, I doubt most people would be able to conveniently make it

if people want to run it during a time I can't attend, I'll miss it, but I assure you theres a strong element within the kin that would like to review, and sometimes even learn for the first time, the works of J.R.R. Tolkien - it's a great way to meet folks and start getting used to your kinmates, and can even be educational :)

I highly recommend resuming this, and even more strongly recommend resuming it during a time I can attend :)

Officer

Awarded:

I've never seen the book club in action (looks like it petered out shortly before I joined) but I would love to bring it back too. I'm a little anxious about finding a time to meet, though. Already there are so many events every week, it gets very hard to squeeze into a time slot that's not taking away from other things folks are doing.

Was it ever considered to have discussion on the forums instead of a live meeting? I've seen this attempted on a few other sites, and usually it flops, because people don't keep up with the reading, or forget to check the thread, or it's just too passive to keep everybody engaged, or any number of things. But it's another idea to put out there.

For a kin that's dedicated to Tolkien, it seems like something we should be doing, if a way can be found. :D

A bevy of other characters, as listed at my lotro-wiki page
amdireth

I would host it but I'm not sure how because I don't have such a vast knowledge of Tolkien's works. And I'm not really a great leader type! But since schedules are so tight what about if it was every other week or even just once a month? Or..if we did something briefer every week..maybe met before or after Ales and Tales.. but I'd love the book club! I struggle with Tolkien's books other than LotRs and the Hobbit...like I started reading The Children of Hurin and not that it's hard to read but it would be nice to hear everyones thoughts about it imo. I would enjoy just a forum bookclub but in game would be fun too:)

Awarded:

If a book club starts up, either on the forum or in-game, I'll definitely try to be a part of it. I'm about due for a re-reading of the Silmarillion, anyway. All I need is an excuse.

Awarded:

OK, some brainstorming about potential time slots:

- Mondays are out for me. Before A&T there's OW rehearsal and all the organizing to get a stage crew put together, and after A&T there's...sleeeeeeep.
- Tuesdays are usually when we record A&T podcast, when we can find someone to host with Gaia and me, that is. So I don't think that would work for the two of us.
- Wednesdays often have Riding Club events. Possibly a time slot before or after these would work?
- Thursdays are EMS concerts but I rarely go to those. That might work, but would exclude Andeon.
- Friday nights we have fishing club. Perhaps after fishing club? Would late Friday nights work for Andeon too?
- Saturdays sometimes have early afternoon Riding Club events. They will soon have midnight BBB concerts too. Perhaps a Saturday night pre-BBB meeting (ending prior to 11 so folks playing in the band would not have to miss out on book club if they wanted to attend)? For a while we did Saturday mornings but that was when Book Club fizzled out so I suspect that isn't a great time slot.
- Sundays really are packed. Personally, I'm usually visiting my parents on the weekends and get back home around 4pm eastern. When Book Club started we had it at 4pm Sundays (actually at first we voted every week on the time to meet so it wasn't consistent, but 4pm Sundays is what it eventually settled into). That was a decent time to meet (just a little earlier than Andeon would usually be on for SNS, which did mean sometimes SNS got delayed a bit by robust Book Club discussions...) though sometimes I was scrambling a bit to get logged in by 4pm. Now we will have 3pm Andune concerts, so we could end up with Andune 3-4, Book Club 4-5, SNS 5-??? and not much breathing space in a Sunday afternoon. After SNS wouldn't be great either since some folks have to go eat by the time their SNS runs are done, others have work the next morning...

wow Len - it's great to see you at the helm again! :)

1st - I would really love to be a part of bookclub again - that being said, as with almost all events, if the event can reach a *much* larger audience at a time when I can't attend, I (regretabbly) recommend doing so - please don't hamstring the event on my account

2nd - THAT being said...Friday nights are okay, but I'm only available really, really late - we're talking past midnight...I don't know how well that works for folks

oddly, those really early saturday morning runs, while always a little rough on my late-night escapades twisted worked reasonably well for me - I don't know how convenient they are for other folks, but I'd make the effort to drag myself outta bed for some early saturday morning bits if at all possible

That very narrow sunday slot might also work for me - i'm willing to see what accommodations I can make

and, as I mentioned, if you/we can decide on a time when I *can* participate, I'll be happy to assist, to whatever extent my sleep-deprived-addled brain can manage - Mountain Dew shall cure all ills!

High Officer

Awarded:

Note to all concerned: Book Club is a lot more fun *with* Cap'n Andeon than *without*. :-) It is also a lot more fun with Gaiagil. And, given that those two were the last two standing on Book Club's previous run, I would hope we can find a time that includes you both. Though I know Gaia's even crazier busier this school year than I am, if that is indeed possible - but it's at least an even match. wink

Friday past midnight doesn't seem that bad, really, since Saturdays are for sleeping in (when they're not for Latin Club events, as they are once a month or so...), and since midnight /servertime means, what, 9pm for you west coast types?

9pm saturday pst is good for me. Or any time except mornings of any day, but if there was a forum discussion to go along with the in game book club I'd be happy doing that...thanks for thinking of getting it started back up!!!

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: