Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Character Journals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greyylene
Officer of Rum

Awarded:

re: Fury's Paean

Boomer's New Crew

Sitting in the back of the pub was always a good place to keep watch. The whole room could be surveyed without having to move. It was Boomer's favorite spot and all the tavern maids knew it.

Most nights it was uneventful, but on rare occasions something notable would happen. When the two shrouded figures came in and seated themselves at Boomer's table, it was a clear sign that fortunes had changed.

Being a Watcher was much easier than being a Captain, but Greyy insisted on sending Boomer out to form her own crew. It had taken longer than she wanted, but the time had indeed come full circle. The assignment was simple enough. Take a vessel, give it a name and find a crew.

Some would be amused, or maybe confused. by the vessel Boomer chose as her own. At one time the wooden wagon was brightly colored. Storms, sun and battle had ravaged planks but the sturdy craft held. Vibrant blue and gold faded to almost a pasty gray gave Fury's Paean an unassuming presence.

Drawn by a retired war steed, the picture was completed by the brass bells that adorned the harness. At an average glance the Fury's Paean looked to be old and tired. On closer inspection it was something all together more sinister.

For weeks Boomer had been traveling. She followed roads between war torn towns and outposts. The treasures she had liberated from orcs, goblins and brigands had been used to fund restoration projects and, of course, the Pirate treasures.

But the roads were often lonely. It was time for a crew.
Loeci
Officer

Awarded:

Ladgerdaa and her first mate Simoric saw the Woman called Boomer walk into the tavern. This was their opportunity.
Their fighting and adventuring skills had finally enabled Ladgerdaa to purchase a ship. It would be good to be back on the water again! A small 40ft sloop, she was far from the Teleri Swanship she captained a few thousand years ago but she would do. A small craft suited her well, since it needed only a small crew, and was fast and maneuverable. Perfect for pirating and exploring. The Seahawk's Strike would serve her well.
Simoric nudged her lightly and she came out her reverie. "We should go talk to her before anyone else does. Word travels fast, and we don't want Captain Greyylene to think we are competing with her." "Aye" Ladgerdaa replied, " she is formidable and we can't risk crossing her when we are just getting into the game." Suiting actions to words, she strode to the tavern and went in, Simoric's large form following like a shadow. The High elf and Man paused just inside the door. The tavern was dim, as taverns are, but scanning the room she quickly spotted Boomer in the far corner. They approached her table confidently, assuming neither Captain Greyylene nor her associate Boomer would respect any show of hesitancy or weakness.
"Mae govannen" Ladgerdaa addressed her. "Be ye the Woman called Boomer, friend o' Captain Greyylene?"

LMB alts: Isranayr, Estelmiriel, Illystar, Silmairien, Cyrce, Snapdragonn, Wyldbyrd, Jaznah, and Wyldbeary

Fury's Paean: Ladgerdaa, Simoric

Werewargs of Lindon: Scallywarg, Scallypaws

Order of the Silver Flame alts: Drakmoor, Dawnie, and others

Alt kins: Scallyrats Rum Pirates: Beldawraith, Gilarii, Alagosil

East of the Sun West of the Moon: Mystralia 

Pies n' Pints: Belgariath 

Pievengers of the Shire: Snowdropp

Scallyrat's Rum Pirate Band: Scallysong, Scallyrum, Scallymouse, Scallyrogue, and Scallyshark

The Byrd and Berri Inn: Wyldbyrd, Wyldberri

other games: SWTOR (Loeci, Gil'raen and many others), ESO @wolfsong66 (Loeci, Shaolinn, Illystar, White'heart, Drak'moor, etc)

“Above all shadows rides the Sun
and Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.”

Greyylene
Officer of Rum

Awarded:

Sylvester
Roaming tired war torn roads in a gypsy wagon was sometimes tricky. The path was, at times, obscured by all manner of
death and destruction. Deep cuts and holes in the roads added hazards that would often times turn deadly.

Though faded, Boomers vessel was far more than it seemed. The hull was strong hard wood reinforced and armored to withstand attack. Even the wheels were built to carry the extra weight of a war ship on land.

Up close the paint scheme was typical gypsy wards and runes. From afar, or above, the artwork told exactly what the craft was made to do. In the curved roof was the flying raven and runes that marked a member of Captain Greyylene's crew. This was every bit a Pirate Ship.

Since coming to this land, Boomer had learned the horse is the best Watcher a watcher could want, next to a dog of course. Sylvester was by far her greatest asset. He was a formidable beast who never forgot the art of war. Even without the Rohan armor he was impressive.

She tried to disguise the true nature of her craft and the steed that carried it. For goblins, orcs and trolls it was easy enough. Even some brigands would fall for the ruse. Very smart bandits, however, would flee.
Forum Image
Greyylene
Officer of Rum

Awarded:

Holding her mug of Ale in both hands, Boomer watched an intriguing pair of patrons enter. They stood at the door a moment allowing their eyes to adjust. At first glance she was reminded of the Capt'n and her bard, but the hair was all wrong. An Elf and Warrior walk into a pub, all they missed was a punchline. Striding with confidence towards her corner Boomer muttered to herself.
"Oh great, I'm the punchline."

"Mae govannen. Be ye the woman called Boomer, friend of Captain Greyylene?"

Well they were bold to be sure, but perhaps not the brightest ember in the pot.

"Shh! this is nay the place to be flaunting names like that. Sit before anyone else sees you. Yes, I am Hilda, whom some call Boomer."

Boomer's table was the perfect spot for keeping watch with the ability to listen. Nestled in a corner the seats were placed to allow her back to two walls and clear sight to several exits. There was a window at the next table over, close enough to see but too far for eves dropping. The kitchen was on the other side of the bar allowing for some degree of quiet for secret meetings and planning.

The strangers took chairs that allowed tactical advantage to any surprises. The warrior held the best of the leftover seats. It was assumed he was the protector and she trusted him impeccably. Once everyone was settled the introductions began.

Forgive the intrusion we have heard tales of the Captain Greyylene and her crew. We come to lend "The Seahawk's Strike" to the fleet. I am Ladgerdaa Captain of the Seahawk, this is my first mate Simoric.

Sitting perfectly still, almost as a statue, Boomer watched the pair carefully. Neither flinched at her scrutiny. Reaching into a pocket Boomer pulled out paper and a well worn pencil.

"The price to join the fleet is to begin with My crew. If that is acceptable, perhaps you can work up to join the Capt'n on Her crew."

"It is most agreeable to join where we are required. The wish was to not interfere in her territory. Tell us what you wish us to do and we will do it." Ladgerdaa spoke in a matter of fact manner that gave credence to their motivation.

Writing as she spoke instructions were given.

"So ya want to join my li'l crew? You need to meet the Capt'n first, but you cant go empty handed. Her ship is moored in the cap of Belfalas, but there are other corsairs between open waters and the harbor. You need to bring her exactly One stick of their lead ship's explosives, just one. Make sure to tie it with a ribbon. She'll chuckle at that. If you still want to be part of my crew, and she agrees meet me at this harbor in one week," Boomer said as she slid a slip of paper across the table.

Standing quiet and with the grace of a cat Ladgerdaa and her shipmate faded from the smoke filled haze of the pub.

"Well, that was faster than I anticipated. I hope they do not mind that my ship is a land yacht," Boomer chuckled to herself.
Loeci
Officer

Awarded:

The Seahawk's Strike rode the waves along the coast into Belfalas Bay. It was dusk, but Simoric could still see the corsair ships further in the bay. "Ahoy Capt'n", he cried out, "There they be alright!". Ladgerdaa looked up from the wheel. "Can You see which is the leader's ship?" There was silence for a few minutes. Then "Aye, Capt'n! I can see one with fancier flags, bigger than the rest o' the ships." "Then get yourself down here and get ready to get their attention." Ladgerdaa eyed the ship her crewman had picked out. Her elven sight showed it up quite clearly and she was glad none of the other ships were close to it and they wouldn't have to deal with the rest. At least, that was the plan. It looked like a nice ship too. Pity. Capt'n Greyylene wanted a stick of explosives, she was going get it but this wasn't going to be a quiet affair. She chuckled to herself.

LMB alts: Isranayr, Estelmiriel, Illystar, Silmairien, Cyrce, Snapdragonn, Wyldbyrd, Jaznah, and Wyldbeary

Scallyrat's Rum Pirate Band: Scallysong, Scallyrum, Scallymouse, Scallyrogue, and Scallyshark

other games: SWTOR (Loeci, Gil'raen and many others), ESO @wolfsong66 (Loeci, Shaolinn, Illystar, White'heart, Drak'moor, etc)

Loeci
Officer

Awarded:

Her tall burly crewman climbed down and started setting up a ballista on the side which would be facing the lead ship as they maneuvered past it. "It's all yours, Simoric" Ladgerdaa called out as she stepped into a small rowboat and lowered herself down. "Have fun!" She gave him a feral grin. He flashed a big smile in return and continued working. He placed a pile of thick arrows with fuses near the ballista and loaded one of them. He then retuned to the wheel to steer the ship closer to their target.
Meanwhile Capt'n Ladgerdaa quietly rowed her small boat across the dark water. She circled toward the lead ship, heading for the opposite side from the Seahawk. Arriving in place undetected, she waited.

Cries of alarm came across the water to Simoric's ears as he started drifting past the lead ship, broadside to her. He lit the fuse on the thick "arrow" and fired. It exploded almost above the other ship in a shower of bright red sparks. Fireworks!!
Quickly he lit and fired another one with a longer fuse this time. It hit the side of his target, lighting the night with brilliant green sparks and small flames started licking at the ship. He kept firing as rabidly as he could, trying to keep the other crew in confusion.

While the crew of the lead ship scrambled to put out fires and mount a defense, Ladgerdaa climbed up the side of the ship like a shadow. It didn't hurt that fireworks were causing confusing light and shadow on the deck. She scanned the deck for the explosives. Aha! There they were, stacked neatly near starboard side facing Seahawk. The crew were still trying to get the fires under control but she knew they would start shooting back soon. She didn't have much time. A large firework exploded in the middle of the deck and Ladgerdaa ran for the pile of explosives. She grabbed one stick with the shouts of the crew in her ears and ran back for her boat. She jumped and flipped in the air as heavy steps came behind her, landed in the boat, dropped the stick of explosive in the boat and slid off beneath the water, holding a rope to the boat. She pulled the boat as fast as she could swim into the dark shadows at the bow and around the ship toward the Seahawk. She was a strong swimmer and this was much faster than rowing. With luck, the other crew wouldn't see that she was pulling it until too late. Seahawk was slowly moving away from the lead ship. She reached it and grabbed the explosive stick, put into her mouth to free her hands and climbed up the rope she had left dangling, leaving the boat behind in her hurry.
She got to the deck and ran for the wheel, as Simoric kept firing, blinding sparks hiding their getaway.

Ladgerdaa started laughing. "Stop our fun now and get the sails up!" she called out. "It's on to Capt'n Greyylene's ship now!" She was sure the Captain had seen the fireworks over the bay, and wondered what her reaction would be. "And Hey! Get that silk ribbon I bought and tie it around the explosive!" Mustn't forget the personal touch.

Greyylene
Officer of Rum

Awarded:

"Captain Hilda bar Avalon reporting for service, sir!"

Boomer strode to the Captain's table loaded with several pints of "the good stuff". Greyy chuckled to herself as she watched the Amazon woman approach. It was always amusing to see someone of her size move with the grace and ease of an Elf.

It had been several days sitting with Boomer waiting for the two new crewmen. There was some degree of anticipation to how the pair who approached Boomer would fair in the assignment given. The rendezvous was a local pub known for the "unsavory nature" of the clientele, to Greyy it felt familiar and comfortable. In that time the pub had gone from mostly empty to standing room only. And the stories that were being brandished about made Greyy cry with laughter. With each telling the tale got more robust and harrowing, it almost made her regret not being witness to the actual event.

Supper was just being served when the door to the pub opened. A couple stood just inside allowing their eyes to adjust and scan the room for their party. Once they recognized Boomer the shorter of the two nodded as they made their way across the room. Boomer elbowed her captain and motioned to the pair who entered. As they approached both Greyy and Boomer just sat and grinned.

"Well, Boomer my dear, I do believe what we have before us is a mighty armada what broke the lines of those foul corsairs and sent' m packin."

"Aye Capt'n, we may well be in the presence of greatness."

Greyy stood as the pair were seated and ordered drinks for the table. Once they were settled an awkward silence sat between the two crews. Leaning forward and resting her elbows on the table, Boomer broke the tension with a simple question.

"So, how did the story really go?"
Loeci
Officer

Awarded:

Captain Ladgerdaa and Simoric looked at each other and grinned. They had caught some of the tales being told as they walked through the tavern. "Well, we needed a big distraction while I snuck aboard and took the explosive. Simoric here" she gestured at her first mate, "has a talent for explosives and such, and he had been playing around with some fireworks and made them so he could fire them from the ballista on the Seahawk." Simoric let out a deep chuckle. "Not exactly sure what he PLANNED to use them for" she continued, looking at Simoric with a raised eyebrow. He just grinned "But,they were perfect for this task. So he started firing them at the ship and above it too while I took a rowboat and went over in the dark to the lead ship and climbed aboard and got the explosive. The fireworks and the fires it started kept their crew too busy to notice me." She gave a slight shrug. "Was a simple plan really. Which, I've found usually are the best kind. Get's too complicated, then there's too much to go wrong." She smiled, and Simoric let out another deep chuckle.

Greyylene
Officer of Rum

Awarded:

For several weeks Greyy and the other captains gathered at the pub. It was the perfect spot to meet and listen for news. There were rumblings of attacks that continued to plague the countryside. A quiet corner in a noisy bar was the perfect place to listen, watch and plan.

Each captain had taken a patrol rout, when they gathered the stories that were shared became more than just interesting anecdote from a group of privateers and pirates. The information and maps that were brought became valuable tools in aiding, what became, peacekeeping efforts.

As the Tavern keeper began to light candles and start the oven a sinister breeze settled in. It made a presence all together unsetting, almost like portents of ill will. When Boomer came through the door a shiver ran down Captain Greyy's spine. Even before she spoke, Greyy knew there were dark forces at play.

Without a word Hilda sat and began to unroll a hastily scrawled map. She had clearly drawn the map in darkness and by memory. When Ladgerdaa came and sat down in silence, the sullen mood was complete.

"So what am I looking at exactly?" Greyy's query broke the spell and immediately the tavern noise became almost deafening.

"This, Capt'n, is a map of orc strongholds. They are invaded and cleared by day, but at night new troops are being brought in. The best I can see is there is someone carrying troops in by boat.
We need more information." She said the last bit looking straight at Ladgerdaa unblinking.
Loeci
Officer

Awarded:

Unperturbed, Ladgerdaa returned Boomer's look. "Fortunately, information is what I have. When we cleared out one of the orc holds, we let one survive. Just scared him and hurt him badly, but enough for him to run. Then we followed. Figured it would be interesting to see where he went for help." "We weren't more than 8 miles or so from the shore. And sure enough, he headed straight for a little bay nearby. He collapsed on the shore and waited." "Simoric and I waited nearby in the underbrush before the land sloped down to the beach. Took until nightfall, but we saw a ship come into the bay. Then rowboats left the ship and headed to shore. When they got closer I could see they were full of orcs. There were three boats' full so we didn't want to stick around when they landed and we took off." Ladgerdaa was quiet for a moment, and looked seriously at Boomer and Greyy. "I think they have several spots along the shores near where we've found the orc holds. What we need to do now is find the ship that brings them. Looked like a corsair ship to me but that still leaves a lot of possibilities."

Loeci
Officer

Awarded:

"Going to be tricky finding them", Loeci continued. She looked intently at the map. "We know corsairs hang out near the coast of Belfalas, though they seem to be avoiding the Bay itself after our little fireworks display." Her eyes twinkled merrily at the memory. "Bet a barrel of your best rum though, that they've got a base somewhere on the other side of the peninsula, nearer to Harad. Want to be near their allies, I imagine. Still, given where we've seen the orc holds, there's going to be a lot of coast to cover to stop them dropping of orcs in our lap."

Greyylene
Officer of Rum

Awarded:

Plans had been made and assignments claimed. The mission to expand the crew and harass the enemy was well and truly set. The wicked smile that crept across Captain Greyy's lips proved to be all the motivation needed. Even the stoic team of Ladgerdaa and Simoric cracked a slight grin-that bit proved a bit more disturbing.

The raising of mugs followed by the heavy thud of pottery to table signaled the meeting dismissed. Nodding to the others Ladgerdaa and Simoric were the first to leave. The others filtered out so as to avoid too much attention. Each crew went a different direction. When they returned more stories would be exchanged, to be sure.

Boomer approached her retired war steed with a look of satisfaction and determination. She was no longer alone, and it felt good.

"Well, old friend, we have some mischief to stir. You think you're up for it?"
Her response was a grunt and a nudge in approval.
Greyylene
Officer of Rum

Awarded:

After a long night of ferocious winds, the dawn broke clear and bright. Hitching Percivle to the wagon, Boomer readied for a tour of the countryside. The scouting mission was generally to make notes of orc activity and refugee status. When she was able to assist she did.

Securing land trade routes was the primary function. Where sailing ships couldn't go, she could. So much devastation had been done to the land, sometimes it was difficult to witness. But the citizens were resilient. That was the thread of hope Boomer held close to her heart.

The steady rocking of the wagon along with Percivile's rhythmic trot had lulled Boomer into a deep reverie. A sudden low growl that shook the ground snapped her into action. Leaping from the seat and unhooking the steed was one fluid motion.

Riding bareback she headed to the source of the disturbance. In the distance she saw it. Horns jabbed at the horizon behind a thick outcrop of jagged stones. Smoke curled making the mountain appear to be on fire. A sinister yellow eye was tracking something.

A slight movement in the hills caught Boomer's eye. Stuck between a cliff and a dragon was a Dwarf. Percivile had obviously seen the same problem. He lowered his head and flew towards the stranded Dwarf.

Caught up in the moment Boomer had no time to consider consequences. Everything was reaction. Grabbing the Dwarf by the collar while leaping over rocks even the dragon was confused. After the Dwarf was flopped safely away horse and rider returned to the dragon.

Circling the dragon at full speed kept it disoriented. Hitting loose rocks and boulders made the whole mountain, unstable. The final blow to the dragon was its own fire breath. Missing Boomer but blasting the rocks set loose a rockslide that buried the dragon. A final blow that crushed it's head brought the adventure to an end.

Back at the clearing Boomer turned her attention to the Dwarf. Minding wounds and fixing a light meal gave them a chance for proper introductions.

"Hate to say I needed help from anyone, but thanks. I'm Breege. Good to meet ya," the Dwarf said holding out her hand in greeting.
Greyylene
Officer of Rum

Awarded:

Marco had been assigned to find loot Long abandoned within the crypt of a forgotten Númenórean, rumored to have sailed in days gone by with the Black Númenórean, known for their pillaging of Umbar along the Gondorian Coast. Long time rumored to have been lost, the secrets of where this treasure had moved over the centuries had been revealed to some.
Not knowing exactly what he would find, Marco took hold of the rumors and went to search within the Barrow Downs, one of the mentioned places that parts of the loot had been stashed in one of the many moves. He was able to investigate and found small trinkets, but still no proof that more lay deeper. The only thing he had to go on was that churning feeling in his gut. That feeling and his want to impress his new found associates with his abilities, set him forth mapping as deep into the cavernous crypts he could.
However, he ran upon things above his knowledge and above his skill to defeat alone. At this, he went to enlist the help of his assigned Captain. With the aid of his maps and the brute strength of Captain Boomer, the duo took to delving deeper within the caves. The horrors more formidable and the loot perhaps within reach, if it still remained in quantity. The Captain’s ability to commune with the stones allowed them to direct their efforts and feel the presence of someone or something greater.
It is rumored the treasure is still guarded by the spirits of the slain Númenórean pirates, only to be won in great battle or given of one was to parley correctly with the spirits. At this, they continued deeper, reaching the depths of the first cavern only leading to clues of the next. Marco again scouted and looked forward to setting forth in to the next barrow, looking for clues. He again will need the aid of the Captain. The stones have also murmured tales of a third barrow, but the second must be mapped and searched before any hope of finding a third could be unveiled.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Character Journals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: