Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Character Journals
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Greyylene
Officer of Rum

Awarded:

re: Capt'n Greyy's Ship's Log

Every ship out on patrol or for shipments gets a bird. Typically the captain of that vessel chooses their bird to be used in case of emergency. If the need arises, all that is required is to attach coordinates. When the bird comes home a rescue party will be assembled and dispatched.

It had been far too long for the Spitfire to check in and Capt'n Greyy stood at the edge of her property watching the sky rather than the sea. Corbee should have returned long ago, but no word and no ship. It was within the realm of possibility that she just took off with the ship and its cargo, however deeply unlikely.
Daily life continued on as normal as could be, with the lingering concern creeping ever closer to the front of Greyy's mind.

"Just send out the damn bird, will ya?" she muttered into the wind.
Cheggra
Officer

re: Ship's Log....Salvia

Salvia pokes her head out at the strange hobbit. She had smuggled herself to the cave in Dvesma's pack, slipping out unseen just before the dwarf had entered the cave. Noticing the hobbit's obvious distress, she immediately knows, or at least strongly suspects, what had happened. Tiptoing over to Kris she whispers, "Welcome to the pack. Ye just drank some rawrzite. It'll wear off in a couple hours. First change's always the hardest. Here, drink this. It'll make ye feel at least a little better. Aeroo gave it to me the first time I changed. Always keep some o' this handy." Taking a small flask from her pocket, she hands it to Kris. "By the way, my name's Salvia. I'm Bima's packmate as well as little sister. Aeroo's our leader, see. The first werewarg of Lindon." Stepping back, she waits for the hobbit's reaction to her news. "Oh, and ye might find yerself hungry fer strange things.....like hobbit toes, human thighs, elf ears, and dwarf beards."

Ankriston blinked in confusion. "P... P... Pack?? Rawrzite? Great Took am I hallucinating now?" She took the offered flask and took a gulp. May as well.. She coudln't feel worse.

"H.. Hi Salvia, I'm Ankriston.. well, Kris.. um.. Just one question.. what in the Great Smials is a werewarg?"

re: Ship's Log

Salvia chuckles from behind her mask, "YOU are now a werewarg. Drinking Rawrzite turns ye inta one. Ye'll turn into a wargie ev'ry time ye drink it. Cheer up, it's not all bad. Ye'll get a whole bunch a new friends....like me! Just gotta watch who ye chew. Oh yes, ye'll get these urges ter chew on hobbit toes, elf ears, human legs, and dwarf beards. Ye can control it, though."
Standing back, she lets her news sink in. "Nice ter meet ye Kris. I'm Bima's little sister. Cousin actually, but her Pa folks 'dopted me when I was a baby. I've been a member o' the pack fer a couple years now. All of us are tweens, so I dunno if ye stop bein' one when ya grows up or not. Guess I'll have ter wait and see. Bima's the oldest. She don' change much anymore, but she says she still gets those cravin's now and then. Aeroo's the pack leader, and then Flea. There's also Anana and Cary, and several others whom ye'll meet. Ye can blame me fer puttin' the rawrzite in the rum, though. It was all my idea.. Ye see, some hobbitses were stealin' the cap'n's rum, and I figured this'd show her who done it."
Sighing softly, she adds, "Sorry 'bout the headache and bellyache. I guess I added too many berries to the brew to hide the rawrzite taste. I'll fix that in a later brew."
"I'll stay with yas til ye're feelin better, ifn' ye want." She adds, feeling a little sorry for Kris and wanting a new friend.

re: re: Ship's log

Just that moment, Bima comes storming up the hill towards the cave, having followed Salvia from a distance. "What *are* you telling that poor lass? You know right and well rawrzite won't turn you into a werewarg. Don't you be scarin' her so! Apologize right now, or....or....no pie for a week!" Thinking again she adds, "No rum either!"
Salvia looks at her sister with a doleful expression. "You're no fun, sis. Ok, ok, I apologize. We just like to pretend we're werewargs. No drink can really turn ye into one, though. Make ye sick and see things, yes. Give ye a mighty bad headache, yes. But turn ye into a werewarg, no. I'm really sorry I scared ya." Looking to Bima, she asks, "That good 'nuff?"
"It is if the poor girl says it is. I wouldn't blame her fer boxin' yer ears all the way home! If she doesn't, I just might!"

Kris drooped. But only for a second. She was alternately disappointed and relieved that she was not really a werewarg. Besides, Sunni and Rosi would have killed her, not to mention, Mama Bree! But it would have been cool and she would have had something. Sunni was a talented minstrel, Rosi was a great hunter who provided food for the family, and Kris was.. well usually getting into trouble.

Looking at Salvia, Kris's heart went out to her. Moving to subtly put herself between the sisters, Kris went to offer Salvia a hug, if accepted, she would give the girl a warm friendly hug. Turning to Bima, she grinned, and her eyes, so like her siblings, twinkled with good cheer.

"Oh now, it's ok, it was just a bit of fun, yeah? No harm! If anything this was all my fault for following people to the Supersekrit rum stash anyway, not to mention I shouldn'ta drank it in the first place! Serves me right!"

She didn't want the girl to get in trouble, especially since the prank was exactly something she would have done herself! Grinning wide at the sisters, showing them she wasn't upset, she added. "Besides, I didn't want a tail anyway.. but um.. so.. bout this pirate thing? I wanna join up! I wanna be a pirate too!"

Kris's eyes widened. She hadn't meant to blurt that out! But even as the words escaped her lips she heard the truth in them. She did want to be a pirate! Ever since she was a kid, when Sunni and Rosi would tell her stories, and when she was old enough, spending much time in the Great Smials of Tuckborough, she'd dreamed of adventure and daring do! And pirates fit that bill nicely.

She looked at the girls and held her breath.

Bima, never one to remain angry for long, wrapped both the girls in a warm hug. Salvia giggled and squirmed, and hug back. "Group hug!" She exclaimed gleefully, relieved to be out of hot water....for now.
"So, ye wanna be a pirate, do ya? Ye're not afraid o' ships? I'm a Stoor, born and raised in Buckland, so I grew up around boats and fishin, but Ma's ship is much bigger than a lil fishin' boat. It's a lil trek ter Ma's house, but I got me trusty fishin' boat and I'll get us there in no time...and mebbe we can catch us some lunch on the way! Both Salvi and I are good cooks. I must confess to helpin' Salvia make that spiked rum. We've had a problem with folks stealin' Ma's rum. The idea was to use that rum ter catch 'em and make 'em sorry."
Making her way to the dock, Salvia following close behind, she waits for Kris to get aboard the small fishing dorry, lending her a hand to keep her from losing her footing, then hops aboard. Salvia unties the rope from the dock, then hops aboard last. Dropping anchor, she heads to her mother's house. It's a pleasant sunny day, a warm gentle Belfalas breeze filling the sail. Fishing poles are brought out of a chest, and Bima offers one to Kris. "Bait's in that can over there," Bima says, pointing to a can of bait shrimp. You like fishin, Kris? Salvi will steer the boat, then we'll switch places in a wee bit. I'm better at gettin' the boat into port than she is. She'll learn in time, though." Salvia nods, happy to be aboard and moving towards home...and with a new friend and crew member.

Grinning like a fool, Kris stepped onto the boat. In fact, the small hobbit couldn't stop grinning! This was the most fun she'd had in ages, and though part of her felt bad for drinking some of the rum, it seemed to have turned out for the best!

"I do want to be a pirate," She confirmed. "And I'm not afraid of boats. Mama Breeosh lived in Buckland too, and we used to take Buckleberry Ferry back and forth all the time. She took us in when our parents died. Maybe you met her? Oh and it was a long time ago now, when I was just a kid." Kris looked to be between the ages of sixteen and twenty, but no older. And twenty was stretching it! She was small, even for a hobbit, with flaming red curls and freckles. She had the Tinytoes green eyes, like her sisters, but she had inherited the Annie Kristinia hair for which she was named.

Kris was all but bouncing on her toes as she dipped her rod in the water with a happy sigh. "This is great!" she exclaimed and grinned at the sisters. "Hey um.. thanks.. for like.. not killing me for drinkin the rum and for well all this!" She gestured around her, swinging the fishing rod dangerously. "You folk are really nice!"

Salvia removed her wargie mask, revealing bright red curls, caught up into twin pigtails, and carefully placed the mask in her pack. Then she straightens and grins at her new friend. "Oh, no one ever gets killed fer takin' the rum, just teased alot. Maybe scared a bit too, but never nothin' too bad." Salvia then takes the rudder from Bima, letting her big sister fish first. "My names' Salvia, but most folks just call me Salvi. I'm 22 next month....on the 16th! Bima's a lot older'n me. She's 35....and married! To her childhood sweetheart, Shakestoor! He's a pirate, too! They even had a pirate weddin! It were fun!"
Bima smiles at her little sister and ruffles her hair a little, "Keep her steady, sis. Ain't too far to Ma's house, but I wanna get some fishin' in along the way." Taking up her pole, she goes to the stern of the small vessel, hardly larger than a rowboat, and lets down her hook. "Wanna try yer luck fishin, Kris? It's lotsa fun!"
After a few moments, Bima feels a tug on her line, and reels in a good sized redfish. "Just two more this size, and we'll have us a good dinner." Suddenly doubting that she had, in fact, introduced herself, she adds, "Oh, I'm Bima, origionally o' the Boggins fam'ly of Newberry, in Buckland. We's gonna be great friends, I can tell." Nodding her head to emphasize the point, she carefully puts the still flapping fish in a bucket, places new bait on her hook, then recasts her line. Noticing some light clouds in the distance, she turns to Salvia, "Good thing we're not far from home. Might get some rain ternight."

re: Kris in the boat

Kris bounced excitedly, causing the small boat to rock slightly. "I'm Kris! Well, Ankriston really. I know it's a silly name, but I'm named after some ancestor of ours. Most of the Tinytoes are blondies, but every once in a while, a carrot top like me crops up." She burst out in a fit of giggles. "See what I did there? Carrots, crops?" She grinned, looking at her new companions. "Hey lemme help with the fishing. I can do that for ya too!"

Dipping her pole in the water, she began to fish. It wasn't her favorite hobby, it took patience and the ability to sit still, two things that Kris still struggled with, but she wanted to help out her new friends. She fished in silence for a long while, or at least it felt like hours though it was probably only five minutes until she blurted. "So how much longer is it?" She peered into the distance, looking for anything but water!
[/i]

re: re: Ship's Log

Bima grinned at Kris as she reeled in another redfish, a common catch in these parts. "Sounds like my fam'ly, Kris. I'm blonde, like my Pa, but Salvi's got Ma's red hair. Kinda like Aedon and Cap'n Greyy. Mebbe that's what caused them to 'dopt the two of us. Though I like to think it was just bein' there at the time we needed help, and decidin' ter do somethin' 'bout it."
Moving to the rudder, Bima relieves Salvia, who then takes her own turn at fishing, happy to finally be able to interact with her new friend.
"We's almost home. See that island over there?" Salvia points to an island off the port bow. "That's home. Should be there in 30 minutes or so. Bima's better at steerin' us through the channel to the dock, so she took over the till."
Excitedly, Salvia points to a large bird swimming just offshore, "Looky, Kris, a swan! I love swans. Do you?" It was hard to see at their distance, but as they drew closer, pelicans were also spotted, and Salvia quickly put a lid on the bucket containing the redfish. "Them pelicans would steal that fish right out of our bucket, if we left it open. They's not scared o' hobbitses at all!"
Drawing ever closer to the dock, Bima expertly guides the small craft to the dock, and drops anchor. Salvia grabs the rope and climbs up to the dock, wrapping the rope around a bulkhead. "We're home Kris! " Salvia exclaims excitedly.
Bima grins, "Let's go up and greet Ma, shall we?" In her mind she thinks, "and see if any news has arrived about the missing craft."

Kris stared, wide eyed at the birds, and moved closer to the others. She wasn't scared, certainly not! But it never hurt to be careful. Besides, they might try to eat something of hers! And that would never do! She hastily started braiding her unruly hair in pigtails, to make it neat and presentable. Mama Breeosh was always telling her to try and look presentable. Don't wipe your nose on your sleeve, tidy your hair, wipe your feet. Don't put your feet on the furniture... don't slip the silverware into a pocket.. silly stuff like that, but now Kris was trying to remember all her do's and don'ts. She wanted to make a good impression and she'd already drunk from the Captains stash...

Kris's stomach lurched. Maybe they were going to string her up or make her walk the plank, or keelhaul her for daring to take the Captains rum! She glanced at the sisters and they just seemed happy and excited. "Calm down, Kris, you're being foolish!" she admonished herself. Not that she'd ever had flights of fancy before, ever!

Land was getting closer and closer and she started to fidget with nervous energy, biting her lip. Maybe the beautiful Captain Greyy would think she was just a silly hobbit girl and not worthy of her time.

She offered Bima and Salvia a grin however trying not to let her nervousness show, straightened her shoulders back, and lifted her chin. She was Ankriston Tinytoes and she was gonna be a pirate!

"Right! Let's do this!" She cried, hoping it didn't come out as a squeak!

re: re: Ships' Log

Picking up the pail of fish, Bima climbs out of the boat, grinning at Salvia and Kris as she heads up the hill to the house. "Hey Ma, we're home! And we brought a friend, oh, and dinner too!" Running as fast as the bucket of fish would allow, which wasn't really very fast, she is quickly outrun by Salvia, who is very excited to be on solid ground and home.
Chattering excitedly at Kris, she says, "C'mon! Don' be afraid, Ma won't bite...much." Salvia winks at Kris, to assure her that she's joking about the biting part.
Finally reaching the other two, Bima looks around for her mother, the captain. "Hey Ma? Where'd you go? Is yer friend still here, too? I brought enough fish fer us to have a fish fry fer us all!" Entering the house, she makes her way to the kitchen to start work on preparing dinner. Salvia continues chattering happily to Kris as she follows her big sister inside.

Awarded:

Wayward Pirate and the Hoodlums

There was a gnawing concern vining around the Captain's heart. She always worries when a crew set out for a run. It didn't matter if the trip is routine, Nothing of the sea is. One thing she learned in lifetimes at the whim of the ocean is that nothing is routine where maritime voyage is concerned.

The run was supposed to take a little less than a week. It had been over a month with no word. Even Masonite was growing antsy. Greyy could hear his mutterings across the harbor, his laments of not going with her were almost heartbreaking. All they needed was a sign. Some signal all was well. Suddenly, as if on command, Masonite could be heard yelling like his hair was on fire.

"I see it!" was the only thing the Captain could really make out for sure. Watching the direction he looked Greyy could see it too.

Sure enough, on the horizon was a bird. The flight was that of a bird on the brink of collapse.

"Go get it!" Greyy yelled, but the order was too late. Masonite was already paddling out to intercept the poor bird.

Preparing a small crate, Greyy waited at the dock. The pigeon was soaked and shivering but had made the trek all the way home. The message was simple, the coordinates.

"I will leave in the morning to look for our missing crew. Now we know where to start at least." Greyy's announcement was simple but full of hope. Finally some good news.

The Hoodlums:

One of the drawbacks to multiple hiding places was the amount of time it took to prepare for voyages. Nothing was as quick as it once had been. There was the matter of keeping the secret things hidden along with needing to be fast. The ever present gaggle of Hobbits was a factor that kept Greyy on her toes.

Thankfully the tide was a constant. She could race like a mad woman and still catch the right tide for departure. Even with minimal supplies it was still a lot to load. Several trips down, she was almost ready. One final place to secure.

The Rohan cabin was supposed to be quiet. Giggles and squeals made Greyy roll her eyes. She knew who was there. Following the sound, and trail of fish, Greyy found the source of the noise.

Hobbit Hoodlums were holding a cookout in the kitchen. It did smell good, but she couldn't let the matter go without some degree of consequence. Greyy stormed into the kitchen fierce as a hurricane. She was mostly trying to make a grand show to scare the intruders.

"What the bloody Hell are you doing? And Who is that?" She said painting to the new hobbit.

The reaction seemed to have the desired effect. Three little hobbits stopped dead, mid meal. Standing over the hobbits with hands on her hips Greyy held the glare. For a moment she thought the new one would burst into tears.

Their faces were too much to bear. Bursting into a hearty laugh Greyy gave Bima a pirate salute followed by a big hug. Pulling a chair to the table the Captain remembered she hadn't eaten.

"So, Where's Mine?"
Sunnidi

re: wayward pirates

Kris froze as the fierce elven lady stormed around the room. That was it, she was dead for sure! Keelhauled or made to walk the plank! She just knew it! Crapballs, she didn't even get a chance to say goodbye to Sunni and Rosi, OR GwenKitty! Well whatever happened she would face it with grace. Yeah right. Her face turned a violent shade of pink, and her eyes started to water. "Don't you dare cry, Ankriston Tinytoes!" She admonished herself, hoping she hadn't said it out loud. Sometimes her mouth acted without permission and frequently got her in trouble.

A soft sigh of relief escaped Kris's lips when the woman hugged Bima. "Be polite, Kris." she thought. "What in the Great Smials does it look like we're doing? We're making dinner! Obviously! And I'm Kris, Kris Tinytoes to be exact.. and... I wanna be a pirate!" Kris's heart sank. WHY in Middle Earth did she not ever know when to shut up? Well she was in it now.

"I... I tracked you, and found your lair, I'm good at hiding and sneaking, most people don't notice me, I'm small and I can make myself uh.. nondescript? And um we made supper for you!" She smiled hoping it didn't look too sickly. The fish fry smelled delicious but her stomach was still feeling a bit delicate and she didn't want to embarrass herself further. Eyes wide, she watched the Pirate captain anxiously, but trying to hide her fears. Maybe if she was lucky they'd just turn her out with a scolding. She was used to that.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: