Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Character Journals
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

re: Capt'n Greyy's Ship's Log

Clearing the gate, the Tide set down softly on the Bay of Belfalas. Moving still at great speed, Aedon could see the twin Islands of Tol Falthui and Tol Lochul passing by. In the distance, the lights of the homes along the bay flickered a welcome to the travelers. Going over to where the sleeping woman lay on the deck, Aedon sat down beside her.

Your journey is almost over Ava…Boomhilda. From here, I will take you to the place Greyylene calls he secret spot. Do not tell her I know well that it is here.

Looking again towards the shore Aedon watched as the lights grew closer, and the docks came into view. It was at this point that the Tide faded into the mists. Looking back to the watcher he spoke softly.

Your determination, your love for Izznet is great my friend. It drove you to cling to a ship making a trip that even your earth magics could not have helped you understand. But your reward is neigh. For though she has been changed, your eyes will see through the guise and know you have found the one you had cared for through years uncounted. May you find peace in seeing the life she has made here, and the friends, and not so great pirates she has gathered to her. You will be with her again, and your watch continue, but in a more joyous vein. For you will share in her adventures, and laugh with her standing in the sunlight.

Pausing a moment, Aedon reflected om his next words.

It is my hope that you forgive me for what I have done for you. This is not the form you are used to, and your wings which once carried you aloft high in the sky must now be just a memory of a past life. However, you are a creature of the elements. Child of earth, wind, fire and water. You will still be able to move about with ease undreamed of by others who walk the face of this world. I will take you to the cave soon, and you will sleep there for a time, allowing your strength to return.

I name you now Caomhnóir cloiche agus srutha, Guardian of Stone and Stream. May your life here be blessed and full.

Standing, Aedon waved his hand and he and the watcher vanished from the Celtic Tide.

In a small cave, behind a comfortable house in Rohan, a woman slept before a fire and dreamed.

Greyylene
Officer of Rum

Awarded:

A Heart of Stone

Opening her eyes, Boomer was again reminded how much time moves and shifts during sleep. A new day, maybe, a new body, definitely, all within a new home. Releasing a low sigh she steeled herself for more New.

Wandering the new lands showed there was nothing all that different from her last home. Wars, beasts, orcs and trolls plagued this land as much as any other. So much was different, yet all the same.

Her charge was here, in a new form, but did not recognize the Watcher. Aedon had warned of such, but it was still disheartening. All she could hope for was to rekindle a friendship that, for her, was old as the mountains. There had to be a way to earn the good Captains trust. But How?

The query was quickly answered when a hobbit crewmate bounded into the cave. She had barely taken the time to look around before making a beeline to the kegs of rum. Drinking her fill and taking several more bottles, the hobbit never noticed the Watcher in the rocks.

A sly grin crossed Boomer's lips as an idea took form. She had noticed the hobbit examining the bottles and kegs until finding a specific one. The cave was set to distill the hard liquors, and distill she would.

A special mark on the bottles taken matched several kegs. That was how she would earn her keep. The Watcher, Avalon, had learned many things in her ages walking with men. Herb and plant medicine would be particularly useful for this adventure. She would put that skill to use for the Captain. Maybe that would earn her a favored place.

It took a while, as all good things do, but finally Boomer had a product to share with the Captain. The first sip, or two were, indeed, the "good stuff". But after the third or fourth came the kick.

Greyy's eyes got heavy yet would not close. She became flushed with hot flashes to melt ice caps. The room began to bob and weave like a ship in a hurricane. Even when she tried to lie down, finding the floor was not so easy. It was only After the initial hit settled in that things got real interesting.

It was the colors and flashy lights that really set this brew ahead of the others. Typical fuzzy or bleary vision was a thing of the past. It took Greyy two days to get over the full effects of Boomer's Brew. That was it's new name. And Greyy made sure to mix the New in with the Old. The thieving Hobbits would take a gamble every time they stole her rum!

Boomer had moved to the head of the class.

Having earned a place in Greyy's crew, Boomer still felt a bit of an outsider. Not for lack of trying, but still the flashes of distant memories made life awkward. She knew things that she was not privy to, making some in the crew leery of her presence and motives.

Reluctantly Boomer spent much of her time alone. This was both a blessing and a source of lonely pain. It did give her the opportunity to "commune" with the Earth. Her favorite part of the day was walking barefoot in the cave. Like roots of a tall oak she would dig her toes deep into the ground. Cool granite whispered secrets of ages past. The deep wounds and sorrow of wars not long forgotten spoke into her mind. She cried at the innocent blood spilled and laughed at silly child games. All the stories spoken to her by the stones in the lands she explored.

These were the tidbits of hope Boomer clung to as she roamed the worlds with her Charge. Oh how she hoped to one day reunite with her beloved Izznet. That would never be, the voyage that brought Captain Greyy to these lands made it impossible to have the Izznet she knew and loved. All this made the old gargoyle determined to embrace her current form and endear herself with the Captain. She had to. Her life would be empty otherwise.

Would Aedon remember her fondly? Only time would tell. Her heart was bonded to the couple for as long as they allowed her presence. For the moment, she cherished the simple conversations with the local landscape, and stolen moments alone with Greyy. Soon, there would be more.
Cheggra
Officer

re: More Rrrum shenanigans

Ginnis, dressed in her usual rose pointy hat, flannel shirt, (She was working, after all) and matching trousers and boots, grunted under the weight of the large keg as she carried it into the cave, accompanied by an impishly grinning BimBam. "Set it over there, next to the kegs with Ma's mark on 'em," BimBam ordered, pointing to a vacant spot next to the other kegs.
BimBam didn't notice Boomer in the cave, so focused was she on her task. Clapping her hands with glee, she imagined what would happen when the rum thieves tasted this new brew.....her mother's usual rum recipe mixed with rawrzite. Noticing Ginnis eying the new keg, BimBam snapped out of her reverie and shook her head adamantly, "No!" Then she whispered the reason why into Ginnis' ear, eliciting a loud guffaw from the good natured Stoutaxe, whom BimBam had recruited to be a general helper - carrying kegs, fixing holes in the ship, or any other wood or grunt work that needed doing. BimBam had concocted this recipe with the aid of her cousin and packmate, Salvia. Aeroo was in on it, too. "If nothing else, I may get some new packmates, Ginnis," she whispered.
Her task done, BimBam left the cave, leaving Ginnis inside. Humming to herself, Ginnis takes a cloth and carefully dusts off the kegs, checking to make sure she had gotten the mark right on the new keg. Then she grinned to herself, "Yep, it matches". Nothing to distinguish this keg from the others. Well, maybe the claw marks on the keg would be odd, but they were hardly noticable if one didn't know where to look....which was underneath the keg.
"Maybe BimBam'll use the brewing supplies here, and save me the trip from her basement next time," Ginnis said, noticing all the brewing supplies. "Probably not, though. She doesn't like people watching her brew." Turning, she notices a slight movement in the back of the cave. "Now what or who can that be?", Ginnis thought to herself. "I thought Bima and I were alone. Rum customers already?"
"Who's there?" Ginnis calls out, reaching for her axe. If it was anyone thinking to harm the captain, Ginnis was ready to fight to protect them.

Awarded:

Several lifetimes of melting into rocks and caves gave Avalon a great advantage in keeping to shadows. Hilda had inherited that ability, even if she was in a human body. Sometimes she forgot who and where she was, yet shadows came naturally. In the cave used by Greyy's crew for holding the stash of coveted rum Hilda had found great comfort in a perch high above the main chamber. She felt it gave her the best vantage to watch for intruders.

When the Hobbit and Dwarf came in the cave, her first instinct was to melt further into the background. She sat and listened to the exchange until the Hobbit left. Maybe it should not have been such a surprise when the Dwarf felt her presence. After all they, too, were born from mountain homes. They spent generations reading what stones say, the same as Avalon in her home land.

Well after the Hobbit left, her Dwarf companion stayed. Hilda closed her eyes to focus on slowing her heart and breath. From the racing beat of being surprised, Hilda quieted her body to nearly a whisper. It was clear the Dwarf felt a threat and would not leave until the feeling had passed. Continuing to quiet her heart beat until it had slowed to a soft rhythm to match the cave, she focused on slowing her breath to almost imperceptible levels. Blinking twice Hilda could focus on the Dwarf and watch as the colors around her shifted from vibrant red to a soft blue.

Watching with the patience of a mountain, Hilda waited for the Dwarf to get bored and leave. Once the cave was clear of it's guests she jumped from her perch to investigate the latest deposit. Inspecting the mark she noticed the faint scars of claws. It would be a good idea to inform the Captain Before she samples this batch.
Cheggra
Officer

re: Dvesma

Growing impatient, Dvesma plods inside the cave. Noticing Ginnis, but sensing another presence, on she had met briefly before, she motions Ginnis over. Ginnis reluctantly complies, replacing her axe it its sheath. "Go on, sister. I need to place this note Bima gave me. I forgot it before."
Waiting a few minutes to make sure Ginnis is out of hearing range, she plods over the new cask, then stops a moment. "Boomer, is that you? I need to make sure the captain don' drink from that new cask. But...leavin' this note might be too obvious to the rum theives.....could ye see that the cap'n gets warned? This note explains everything." Sensing Boomer's continued reluctance to appear, she adds. "Ginnis didn't mean no harm. She's protective o' the cap'n too. She thought ye meant her harm. Ye don't, do ye?"
Getting no answer, she sighs deeply, and makes for the entrance, dumbfounded as to where to put the note where only the captain would see it.

re: Dvesma's confusion

Scratching her beard at the lack of answer, Dvesma ponders on her next move. Speaking quietly to herself, she says, "Maybe I just sit here and deliver message meself. I got me plenty o' supplies in me pack to tide me fer awhile. Cap'n's never gone *too* long." Taking a blanket from her pack, she unrolls it and places it on the floor, next to the new keg, and sits down to wait, pulling out a slice of cheddar and a skin of Runulf's finest ale and settling down to wait. "Come join me fer a snack? I know ye're here," She invites in as unthreatening a tone as she can manage.

re: Dvesma

The idea that anyone might not want a snack totally beyond her comprehension, Dvesma takes another bite out of her cheese. It's sharp, dry cheddar which she dearly loves, but it also makes her quite thirsty, so she takes a drink from her flask. Speaking in a conversational tone, she asks, "You sure you don't want any of this cheese? It's really good!" Not receiving any reply she takes another bite, which makes her even thirstier. "Suit yerself then. I think we have a goal in common, though. We both be loyal ter the cap'n and don' wanna see any harm come ter her, right? Ifn' ye could jus' show me somehow that ye'll see that she gets this here note, I'll leave ye." She then hiccups, and realizes the room is spinning around her. "Dvesma you dolt, drunk on guard duty! Ginnis is gonna make ye pay fer this! At least, she'll never let ye live it down," she mutters to herself. "Now is there anything in her BUT rum? So's I can clear me head?"

In her semi-drunken state, she continues to ramble on to no one in particular, hoping that the unknown presence she had first felt would somehow hear. "My big sister tol' me 'bout this big crystal cave out in this place called Rohan she wants ter explore. Ye wanna go with us? Ain't filled with rum kegs, I bet though."

Awarded:

Dropping from her perch, Boomer strode to the drunken Dwarf. She chuckled at the sight of the mighty guard trying desperately to focus. Rising up to full height Boomer stood a moment to allow time for the poor lass to focus. Bending low, she took the note and with finger to her lips gave a wink before stepping over the Dwarf to leave.
More of a whisper in her mind, Dvesma heard "Fear not, mighty guardian, I will see that the Capt'n gets this."
As mist fades from the morning sun, the mountain figure disappeared into the shadows once again.
Cheggra
Officer

re: re: Ship's log

Hearing the gentle voice in her head brings a slow smile to Dvesma's lips. Shaking her head to clear away the cobwebs....no, no, she couldn't have been drunk on the job, she looks down to realize that the note is gone. What just happened? She wonders. Searching around the cave, she sees no one, and no longer senses the presence she had felt at first. Had it gone? Or was it just better hidden? She wasn't sure. But she did know, somehow, that she could trust the voice in her head that had told her the note would be delivered. How? She had no idea, but survival in the Black Lands had taught her to trust her gut feelings.
Picking up her blanket, she shakes it out, rolls it up, and replaces it in her pack. Making her way to the cave entrance, she stops and turns around, surveying the cave once more, while whispering, "Thank You." She hoped whoever took the note heard her. She also hoped that someday this presence would trust her enough to show herself. Squinting into the bright morning light, she steps out of the cave and starts towards home. No, she isn't going to tell Ginnis she got drunk on the job. She hopes whoever took the note doesn't tell either.

re: Enter... Kris...

"Blah blah blah, something something... Pirate!"

Kris perked up. Pirates? There were pirates in the story? Now this was getting interesting! Sunni had been blathering on about some band or something that she'd made friends with. Kris was happy for her but vaguely bored with the conversation; it really didn't have anything to do with her.. until now. Bree was fun, she'd tried her "skills" on the inhabitants and so far it was lucrative and her sisters were none the wiser. They didn't need to know how she spent her time but it was not much of a challenge. But this.. now she was interested. She noticed that Sunni had tried to deflect her attention but now it was a matter of finding out more.

The concert at Thorins hall was noisy and fun, and no one paid any attention to the small scruffy hobbit in the crowd. Kris's flaming red curls were tucked carefully in a winter cap, and her outfit was dark and nondescript. She noticed Sunni, and kept a careful distance, knowing her sister would innocently lead her to her target. Sure enough, finally, Sunni wandered over to a couple, human and elf. Straining to hear names, over the din of the music and laughter, Kris nodded with satisfaction when she heard Sunni's sweet, clear voice calling out to Mr. Aedon and Lady Greyy. Yes!!

Curiosity out of control, it never occurred to the youngest Tinytoes, that following a pirate captain might not be the smartest thing she'd done. This was FUN and a challenge to keep tabs on the beautiful Elf. Her mind was ablaze with questions. How did she become a pirate? How many crew did she have and most importantly, where did she keep her supersekrit stash of rum? She knew pirates loved rum, wasn't it in every story? So she'd developed a taste for the potent liquor. Because Pirates!

--------------

She'd found a cave! THE cave! She was sure of it! Heart pounding with excitement, she didn't have the good sense to be afraid or even nervous. Covering her mouth to stifle the giggles, Kris quietly tiptoed into the cavern. It was dark musty and well, smelled like a cave, but Kris was too excited to notice. Suddenly, she heard something! Voices?

"Oh nuts!" She muttered and looked for a place to hide, even a shadowed nook would do! She crept to a rocky outcropping and peeked out. Sure enough there was a shadowy figure and YES!! what looked like Kegs she thought in the dim light. Hopefully not trolls. Or goblins! But it didn't seem like that. Cupping a hand over her mouth, Kris watched, and waited.

Was the creature offering food? Did she sense Kris's presence? Or was she talking to someone, or something else? A ghost? Maybe it was a ghost! Kris didn't see anyone else around, so maybe creature? Person? was just insane or drunk. At any rate, even though her stomach rumbled, it was best to keep quiet for now and wait.

Finally, as her eyes adjusted to the dark, she realized that the person might be a dwarf. Relaxing, she was just about to go and say hi and see if the dwarf was indeed offering food, when a dark figure dropped from the sky in front of the dwarf.

"What the Great Smials is that??" Kris exclaimed and clamped a hand over her mouth.

Awarded:

Ship log:

Water, specifically sea water, has been in my blood for as long as I remember. At times I wonder if I actually bleed salt water. My days on deck make me feel alive, like nothing else I care to comment. But then, there is a distant yearning for land. To not only feel earth under my feet, but embraced by a cave. Sometimes it feels like there are distant memories itching to break free. Then I shake my head and let the world sifts back into order. At least, I think it is order.

Boomer tells me to embrace the Elements. I have no idea what that means. The working theory is that it's some kind of spiritual thing. It doesn't bother me any. She is rather endearing, if not a little odd.

I look at her sometimes and swear she is familiar, but I just can't quite reach the memory. When I asked her if we'd met before she said an old crewmate of mine was her relative. Keegan the Mad, the name sat on my tongue like the remnants of candy. It brought a smile to my face, yet I could not remember clearly why. Never the mind, maybe someday I would recall.

The other day Boomer caught me at the Belfalas estate. It was clear she had something urgent in mind. There was a note in her hand as she approached, and a mischievous twinkle in her eye when she handed it to me.

Passing me the note she stepped back to let me read. Obviously a Dwarf hand wrote the scrap of chicken scratch I held. Maybe that was what Boomer found so amusing.

"Am I supposed to be able to read this?"

Her chuckle was infectious as it resonated and tumbled across the yard.

"No, ma' am, I would doubt very much if anyone could read that, not even the one who penned it."

She then proceeded to inform me of the urgent message. Simply put, Don't Drink the Rum! No fear of that. The haphazard manner in which the stores were kept I didn't trust any of it. The only stash I was completely sure of was my personal one that was kept closely guarded. If this kept up I would have to resort to not drinking Any rum at all!

Looking back at Boomer it was clear there was more to the message. An impish grin crawled across her lips as she leaned in to whisper in my ear. The Mark had a Mark! This is indeed good to know.

Dismissing the formidable woman with a smirk and a nod, we both turned our attention to the ocean view. I chuckled to myself as I thought of all the trouble to come when my little rum thieves broke into the cave stash. This is going to be entertaining at the very least.
Cheggra
Officer

re: Ship's log

Bima up the walkway from the dock, grinning from ear to ear as she sees her mother standing in the yard. But wait, who is that stranger? Seeing her mother not seemingly upset about the stranger's presence, she waves a cheerful hello as she hurries over to her mother. Ma, the rum I told ye 'bout is in the cave. Let's see who takes the bait...er....rum...now. Won't be hard to tell who takes *this* rum. *winks conspiratorially at Greyy*. Salvia taste tested it, but she got a bit overenthusiastic, as werewargs do, and marked the keg. If ye want me to make another batch o' that and put it in a new keg, lemme know. I kept the recipe.

Looking towards the stranger, she briefly points and says, "Who's that? I ain't seen her 'round these parts. She a new crew member?" Her attention flitting to the dock, she adds, "Think I'll get me some fishin' in whilst the weather holds. Feel like havin' us some fish fer dinner."

Heading back down to the dock, she nods and waves once more to the older woman. Upon arriving at the dock, she retrieves her fishing pole and tackle from the boat and sets about her task, humming happily to herself.

re: Kris in the cave

Kris watched the dwarf leave, and after a few moments, crept from her hiding spot. The other person seemed to be gone too; she had given Kris such a fright! But now the cave was quiet and the only sound was the rumbling stomach of a perpetually hungry hobbit. Wishing she had partaken of the cheese, Kris wandered around inspecting the kegs. She was so proud of herself for finding the cavern and the supersekrit stash!

She reached out a hand, but quickly withdrew it. She shouldn't sample the rum... should she? Sunni would be disappointed in her, and Rosi would probably lecture her, if they found out. IF. But they wouldn't! She loved her older sisters, but they underestimated her. Of course that was how she liked it. No sense in people expecting more from you. That was just silly. Besides, she found the treasure on her own, why shouldn't she sample it's wares?

Pulling a cup from her pack, Kris poured herself a healthy cup of rum. It smelled good, and she took a big swig of the strong liquor. Grinning like a fool, she sat down, pulled out some bread and cheese, and some of Mama Bree's biscuits, and had a picnic on the cavern floor. Finally when she had eaten and drunk her fill, she stood, wobbled and sat back down hard!

"Good thing I've got padding on me rump!" She giggled. The cavern began to spin and Kris wondered if maybe it was a magic cavern where it trapped hapless hobbits in a spinny trap! She blinked slowly, watching the room go round and round and realized she was terribly sleepy, so she pulled her pack up by her head, grabbed her cloak and had a booze induced nap right there by the kegs!

re: part two

Kris woke up with a blistering headache, a foul taste in her mouth and a roiling stomach. And she was outside. Opening her eyes hurt, the light pierced her skull like a pickaxe to the brain. Or at least what she imagined a pickaxe to the brain might feel like. She tried to lick her lips; her mouth felt like she'd been licking a cat... Or Sunni's pet bunny, Daisy. The thought made her stomach lurch again and for once in her young life, she was not hungry. In fact the thought of food made her feel ill.

Vaguely, she realized that her lips had felt sticky, and she gently touched shaking fingers to them, they were in fact, sticky and slightly numb, and and her fingers came back purple, and damp as if she'd gorged herself on berries. Looking around she did notice some bushes that had been recently picked, and a faint recollection of rummaging around growling on all fours came to mind.

Kris shook her head and immediately regretted all her life choices. Covering her face, waiting for the pounding in her head to abate, she groaned and looked down. A sudden shriek escaped her lips! Her toes were blue! What the great Smials had happened after she fell asleep, or passed out or whatever. Wiping her lips again, she realized the dampness was not berry juice, but drool! Grabbing a more or less clean hankie, she wiped her face as her stomach lurched again, and more, but this time, she didn't feel like she was going to lose her lunch. It was painful, and more urgent, like that time she'd gorged herself on Mama Bree's stewed rhubarb and dumplings. Franticly, she looked for a bush with soft leaves and prayed that there was no poison ivy around! "I'm never drinkin again!" She vowed as she sneaked off into the bushes.

Awarded:

*random side note: Poor Rosie! I almost feel sorry for her*
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Character Journals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: