Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harnuth

re: Targaryens on Your Desktop

In the back story for "A Song of Ice and Fire," George R. R. Martin tells the tale of Aegon the Conqueror, who with his two wives (who were his sisters), flew out on their dragons and conquered (almost) all the kingdoms of the continent of Westeros to become the first Ruler of the Seven Kingdoms.

Crystal wanted a version of this picture of Aegon Targaryen with his older sister Visenya and their younger sister Rhaenys for her desktop, so I cropped and chopped and made one. Then after an hour of staring at her desktop, she thought perhaps somebody in The Band might like it, too, so here it is!

Forum Image
Aegon, Visenya, and Rhaenys Targaryen, c. 2014, by Roman Valentinovich Papsuev, aka Amok Amokov
Click on the image for the 1920x1080 version.

This picture appears in at least three dozen sites around the web, often without attribution, usually identified as fan art. It seems that it really is fan art, a work created by the professional artist Roman Papsuev just because of his love of the stories by George R. R. Martin.

To my eye, it's the most stupifyingly beautiful work of fan art that I've ever seen. The design of the characters' costumes is amazing down the most minute detail. The pose is exquisite. You can clearly see the ages and personalities of the three characters: Aegon and Visenya, the deliberate warriors, and Rhaenys, their more cunning, lusty, and mischievous little sister.

They all wear red, black, and gold, echoing their house motto: "Fire and Blood." Aegon's rubies are faceted, square-cut gems in his crown. His sisters' rubies are feminine, rounded, polished. Viseyna the warrior wears her rubies like a crown, quite like Aegon's. Rhaenys wears her rubies in a belt about her hips, a fashion statement that tells us a lot about Rhaenys!

Last edited by Harnuth on 2019/08/28 1:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

"Alas for peaceful folk everywhere.  It is an enormous task to convince them that evil people with evil intentions will commit evil deeds." --Aragorn
Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

That is some nice artwork.

Crystalleowyn

The only problem I have with this picture besides spending so much time just staring at it is that now I'm reluctant to start up any programs on my computer because they hide the desktop! I think I'm gonna have to get some photo quality paper so I can print it out and frame it and put it on my wall.

I keep noticing little details. The girls both are wearing matching ruby rings on the middle fingers of their left hands. Maybe those are wedding rings where they come from. Rhaenys wears two more rings on her left hand but Visenya only wears that one ruby. (Aegon is wearing steel gauntlets so who knows what he wears when he takes off his armor.)

I want those clothes!! Both of the girls' outfits!! Hey maybe if I start now I might have outfits made by the time I can get away with wearing them. Neither outfit would work very well as preggo clothes. Maybe I can get into cosplay or join the SCA or something just to have place to wear them.

I would like to think I identify with Rhaenys but truth is I think Visenya looks more like me and she's the tomboy in the family. First-born daughter y'know; daddies like to raise them like they're boys until they start to grow cushions. Still, Rhaenys has the attitude and stuff so maybe I'm more like her.
Harnuth

Crystalleowyn wrote:
... Maybe I can get into cosplay or join the SCA or something just to have place to wear them...

Not a requirement. Take a closer look a Rhaenys's outfit. It's only the tabard that makes it look medieval. The rest looks not unlike the type of clothing you wear already whenever you want to be a little fancier than blue jeans and tennies.

You could probably pull off Vesenya's outfit, too, if the chain mail were tight enough rings to be a fashion statement instead obvious armor. Her surcoat softens the whole look. Folks would just look at you and think, "Look at that remarkably pretty, remarkably well-dressed blonde lady!" Which is exactly what they do already!

Hmm... best leave the sword at home, though.

Crystalleowyn wrote:
... I would like to think I identify with Rhaenys but truth is I think Visenya looks more like me and she's the tomboy in the family. First-born daughter y'know; daddies like to raise them like they're boys until they start to grow cushions. Still, Rhaenys has the attitude and stuff so maybe I'm more like her.

Visenya is taller, too. Other than that, you're the sum of those two parts, m'dear. :)

Or perhaps something greater. Visenya and Rhaenys each had only one child. You have already doubled that record!

Last edited by Harnuth on 2019/08/30 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

"Alas for peaceful folk everywhere.  It is an enormous task to convince them that evil people with evil intentions will commit evil deeds." --Aragorn
Harnuth

Oh hey, speaking of Roman Papsuev and his paintings of Targaryens, it looks like "Amok Amokov" is quite seriously a fan. He did all the pictures of the Targaryens in this version of the family tree...

http://awoiaf.westeros.org:8080/images/c/c6/House_Targaryen_Family_tree.jpg

And the question of copyrights to his work can be put to rest with this: "The thing is that I permit to use my art to anyone IF this use is not commercial. So I don't really know about 'distribution' part of the license. If it means 'no commercial use' then go ahead and use these pictures as you want. AFAIK Wikipedia links all images with the source website, so there's no problem there either cool

Anyway, again - if it's not for commercial use - go ahead and take them, I don't mind at all cool

Best wishes, Roman Papsuev"

Ref: https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/File:AEGON_IV.jpg

Crystalleowyn

Aw thanks, sweetie! Sure made my day!!

I see what you mean about those oufits. I've never tried making chain mail but I bet I can learn, especially making it from plastic pipe like they did for Lord of the Rings. I think a smaller gage pipe would work for tighter rings.

I'm wondering if I cut the rings and then tumbled them with a coarse grit in Jeff's tumbler if they would come out with a rough texture and maybe round over the sharp edges some. Maybe even use coarse sand for the grit instead of the rouge Jeff uses to tumble brass.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: