Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Tales and Fiction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

re: Home is Where?

Standing at the prow of the Celtic Tide, Aedon watched as the miles and years slipped past him. He could not help feeling a bit of anticipation when he thought about where this voyage might lead.
Home
It had been some time since he allowed thoughts of home to cross his mind. The kinship, and dealings with the preponderance if pirates which occupied one of his properties kept him mostly busy. It was a welcome distraction from the feelings that tugged at him, calling him once again to return to Sosaria.
He was so lost in thoughts of home he did not hear the soft footsteps approaching him. She stood in silence for at whiles watching him before finally speaking up.

“What holds your thoughts my son?”

Turning towards Nemira Aedon smiled saying:

“You know well what calls to me mother. I am excited beyond words at the thought of again seeing Aegis, in just being home for a time.”
“And what tale did you tell Greyylene before your departure? Will she not become concerned by your sudden trip back to Aegis?”

“She might be, had I told her where I was going.”

Nemira looked at him with disapproval. She waited for Aedon to say something else that might further explain his words. But when he simply turned back towards the ship’s prow, she shook her head and moved in closer, touching his arm lightly.

“Is this the mark of a loyal husband and partner? Is not truth the best in such situations? Aedon, she has a right to know that you are making such a journey.”

Turning back towards her suddenly, he strove to suppress the sudden anger welling up within him.

“And what of her? She leaves for days at a time and tells me little of her doings other than she is on a voyage. She spends more time with that blasted crew of hers than she does with me.”
“Aedon, you know it makes her happy, and that is the one thing you told Figol and I that you wished for her. Has that wish now changed my son”
“I also have a right to some degree of happiness as well mother. And right now, going home will make me happy.”

He was about to go into a long tirade on those things which he now found irritating about his life when he heard a loud hum coming from in front of the Tide. Turing towards the sound, they both watched as the large gold moongate appeared before the craft. Looking high above it, he watched as Figol swooped and spun casting the spell that formed the portal between worlds. Then turning his gaze straight ahead, watched as the Celtic Tide passed silently through.

Last edited by Aedon Durreah on 2021/10/16 12:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

The great ship set down lightly in the waters just off the coast of Yew. The sight of the Yew Abbey stirred feelings in his heart he had not known in some time, and with boyish anticipation, he rushed over to the side of the ship in a hurry to lower the gangplank. Gliding effortlessly up to Emerald Point, the Tide came to a smooth stop at the narrow spot where land met sea. The plank slid out, and Aedon ran down it, and towards the tree line of Yew uncertain of what he might find, but knowing deep within what he sought.

Home;

But the building that stood now where Connemara once stood was foreign to his eyes, though a pleasant looking abode. He stood staring for a moment, as though trying to will a different picture to appear, and then turning towards the forest, ran the once familiar path that led from the shore to the Village of Aegis. Breathless, he arrived in the glade and relief came over his at seeing the Knights Rest still standing. As he stood looking, and half laughing, Nemira came and stood beside him.

“Yes Aedon, she still stands, as was your wish. John tends the glade as best he can with the aid of James and Yews new Governor. Does this bring you comfort?”

He spoke not a word, but simply nodded before walking up, opening the door, and entering the old Tavern. Mush of his time within Yew had been connected to this place in one way or another. Starting with his time as a squire to a Knight of Yew, and continuing on through the years until the Rest and the Glade of Aegis were passed into his care. How many friends held dear were now gone? For so many years Aegis was home to him, and even now, held a place in his heart. The Knights Rest had changed through the years, but always kept that feeling of peace and respite for him. A place to go to pause and renew his soul.

But now, though still a place which seemed welcoming, there was something missing, and the loss of it, whatever it was, seemed to wash over him like a wave. Exiting the tavern, he headed up the stairs and into what used to be his home away from home. But even there, the homey sitting room and den were now replaced by a huge open space, with a large meeting table set in the center. Nemira sensing what was going through his mind again spoke up.

“Governor Idril uses this space for Yew Town meetings now Aedon. John sat up things in a way that fit the purpose of the room. She is a good Governor Aedon, and has many plans for the betterment of Yew as a whole. This is what you wanted for Yew, was it not?”

“And what will I find upstairs Mother?”

“What was always there Aedon, a place to sleep. Would you care to see it?”

Shaking his head, no, Aedon turned around, exited the building, and stood silently in the glade. Standing next to him, Nemira allowed him his time to think. No words she could speak now would offer any comfort to him. He was as one who felt lost while surrounded by familiar places and things. After a time, he looked towards Nemira and asked.

“Where is Connemara?”

Smiling broadly, she exclaimed;

“Where it has always been my son.”

“Show me please.”

With a wave of her hand the two were whisked away to the emerald grove that sat along the stars. Here the four elements played with the gods of the directions. North, south, east and west met in this spot. And earth, wind, fire and water existed in harmony with all things. It was in this spot far removed from Yew that Connemara truly stood. And as in the past, returned when her master was absent. The magics contained in this area renewed Connemara and anchored her to this plain of existence. Looking upon her, Aedon breathed a sigh of relief, and entered the building.

Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

Five days had passed since he entered Connemara, and the time spent before his own fire served to refresh and renew his spirit. He had not ventured out much, other than to visit the Yew Festival in the guise of Hairy. Nemira had done a fine job in making him look like the small pooka, unfortunately, he lacked certain magics that may have come in handy. The angry Mongbat near the Abbey might have made a meal of him had not the originally Hairy not happened by, singing the hind quarters of the surprised creature.

After the rescue, the pooka came nose to nose with his doppelganger, sniffed a bit, then sitting back on his hind legs shouted.
Hi Ya Patch!

Hello Hairy, and think you for the very timely rescue.
He replied bowing his long ears in respect.

They talked for a few moments, then Hairy opened a gate to the Knights Rest suggesting that Aedon might want to dress up as someone with a sword next time. Laughing for a moment, Aedon again thanked the small creature, then scampered through the gate to safety. He went up on to the roof of the building, and took the secret pathway that led back to the emerald grove and Connemara. Once there, he shifted into his true form, then, walking into the kitchen, made a fresh sup of coffee and headed to his chair.
Staring into the flame, Aedon thought about his time back on Sosaria, and allowed his mind to drift across the many miles and times that led to the small house in Belfalas. He wondered what Greyy might be thinking by now? After all, he had made this trip with no word to her. Perhaps she now thought something unfortunately had befalling him. There was no one left to tell her otherwise. Then again, she may have been off on her boat all this time, and not even noticed his absence. Sighing a bit, he took a deep drink from his cup, and then glanced back into the flame. He did not even look up when her heard her walking up behind him. He waited, and watched the flames dance across the dry wood in the hearth. After a bit, she spoke.

Well, Aedon, are you content to spend thy time here, or are you ready to depart?

Setting his cup on the table to the side of his chair, Aedon sat back, and steepled his fingers.

It is a funny thing mother; he said after a time. I have wanted nothing more than to get back here, to sit in my own chair in my halls before my fire. And I have now done so. I have visited Yew, and seen that she is in good hands, and prospering under the watch of Governor Idril. And though in all truth, I desire to spend my days here, and take my ease, there is an emptiness that gnaws at my soul.

Pausing, he looked back at the tall slender woman.

It is time to head back.

Nodding, Nemira held out her hand to him.

Come then, the Tide is waiting.

With a wave of her hand the two were transported to the far end of Emerald Point where the Celtic Tide was moored. Boarding the ship, Aedon walked immediately to the side, and stared out towards the Forest of Yew. The sun was beginning to rise, her rays touching the topmost branches of the trees before cascading through the leaves and dancing softly on the grass. This was how he always wanted to remember Yew. In the quiet splendor of the new day, before those who called the forest city home were out and about their daily tasks. He took one last look at the landscape of Yew, as if to burn this picture into his mind, then turned and walked over to where Nemira stood.

I am ready Mother.

And when would you like to arrive home my son?

Thinking for a moment, Aedon smiled saying;

The night we left will do me well. No need to explain that which never happened.

Nemira Nodded and looked upwards to Figol. The Tide began to move towards the horizon swiftly, lifting off the surface of the water as she moved along. The deep thrum slowly surrounded the ship as the gold moongate opened up, allowing the Tide to pass through unseen by any living creature. Beneath the ships hull passed time, and tide. Until at last the great ship came to rest on the waters, and slid towards the docks of Belfalas Bay.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Tales and Fiction All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: