Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Second Breakfast
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forte Maestro

Awarded:

re: Tournament of Champions

Years and Years ago in EverQuest I would host monthly Tournament of Champions. They were bracketed double elimination.

I had ranges from lvl 15-20, 20-30, 30-40, 40-50 etc

And each group having their own Tourney bracket would all come together after registering/signing up one day at a Tourney location, and we would hold run the tournaments.

There were certain things we could limit, like no insta kill skills etc, but for the most part we could not limit what they used.

LOTRO is more managable with this as there are really nothing way crazy someone could add that would make them overpowering, unless someone knows otherwise.

But, I am considering starting them here, well "Eratimus" is.

I am open to thoughts, responses, suggestions, interest in help with judging etc. This goes out to anyone, not just LMB interest in helping and suggesting.

Awarded:

Unless I missed it, what would this be a tournament of? It looks like you mean to have a sparring tournament since you mention "skills", but then you are also looking for "judges" so I got confused...

Awarded:

It would be a dueling tourney. Judges would simply run the range lvls. Basically, look on the respective bracket, pull two gether the next 2 ppl to complete, report who won each one as the bracket would then be updated to reflect the next bracket of fighters. They would also referee to make sure any skills or what ever is decided to declare illegal...if any are not used.

So not really a judge, but more as a Referee/Bracket Leader, running the particular range Bracket, ie 15-20 bracket etc. So each bracket would have a winner ie 20-30, 31-40, etc

Awarded:

So, "dueling" = "/spar ;target" ... correct?

Awarded:

Forte,

The Harnkegger Games on Laurelin include a sparring element. http://harnkeggergames.simplesite.com/ The games are chaired by a Dwarf, Kandral Strongbeard, officer of the kinship of Durin's Folk.

Quote:
5) SPARRING TOURNAMENT

GAME INFO: Participants will be put into groups depending on their strength ((level)).

RULES: Standard sparring rules will apply – depending on the number of participants several rounds can be held until we declare a gold medal winner of each category. Minimal 3 Groups will be made ((low, mid, end-game lvls)) – exact divide of the groups will be done when the amount of contenders is known before the start. The Judges decide how the divide will be made and decide when the registration period ends. If more than a dozen competitors show up to participate, there may be a qualifier round to narrow the field. Potions ((Buffs)) of all kind ARE allowed, as is best possible gear.

I attended it out of loyalty to a player that was participating, but dislike sparring and didn't enjoy that element of the Games. This is strictly my personal opinion, not LMBs, but to me it does not feel like a very LMBish activity. I think I feel that way because it is so competitive and I wouldn't want to hurt another player (you can see I am not a PvPer either wink though that is quite different). Plus there was some unpleasant whining and bad mouthing going on. And clearly many were in it for the TP prizes. Just my two cents. I included information on the Harnkegger Games for you, above.

Holly
Ashigaru Trecalia

I would also be a bit leery, as someone who HAS spent a fair bit of time in the PvP maps - assuming you want it to be a meaningful spectacle, then you don't really want it to be a free-for-all like that. Aside from the fact that "first to crit on Piercing Cry" isn't that fun...neither is Stun/CBR/Ferocious Strikes oneshot.

Awarded:

The sparring contests in the Harnkegger Games are very much dwarf-oriented, as indeed are many of the other competitions. Nothing wrong with that, in the context of the Games, and I have taken part and once won the group I was in. But I agree that a sparring competition does not seem appropriate to the LMB whose focus is so much based in music and friendly/co-operative/social play, as opposed to the martial activities so important to Durin's Folk, the Blue Mountain Regiment, and related all-dwarf kins.

Pelind

Awarded:

That being said. It doesn't have to be an LMB event. If you personally wanna put on a sparring tournament then you should. It might end up being a lot of fun!
Forte Maestro

Awarded:

This is not intended to be a LMB event, which is why it is in the Second Breakfast forum and not the LMB Event folder. This is to be a none specific Kin organized event. I am just seeking interested people in either participating, or helping as Refs.

If it is done as 3-4 brackets. Id just need 3-4 ppl interested in Reffing each bracket.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: