Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

re: Fans of Dragonriders of Pern

My tabletop group recently started a play-by-post RPG on Wordpress based in the world of Pern. I started feeling nostalgia for my early Pern RP days on PernMUSH, starting back in 1991. After a bit of web browsing, I found a MU* still running with that game's successor. How fun! I was also floored to discover a web site that kept track of all the dragon impressions since then, with my long retired character on the list.

It got me thinking, are there any Banders who are fans of Pern?

Did any of you play on PernMUSH or SoCon? If so, who were you?

Awarded:

I'm a fan of Anne McCaffrey and have most of her Pern books (and also her son Todd's). I never knew there was a game though.

bandleader
Amberflower
Officer

Awarded:

Oh I love Pern (and many of her other books). I have a couple autographs. I had no idea about a game either, too young at that time.

Alt kin: Virtus Tentamine Gaudet - Packzii, Amberflora, Idrynna, Tartlett

"Indeed in nothing is the power of the Dark Lord more clearly shown than in the estrangement that divides all those who still oppose him."

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places;
but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief,
it grows perhaps the greater."

"...together they (Aragorn and Arwen) went up into the High City, and all the stars flowered in the sky."
Carysta

Awarded:

Pern is wonderful! I have all the books, except not all the Todd ones - his writing style was so different I couldn't get into his solo ones sad I also loved the Tower and the Hive series, and Crystal Singer series. She wrote so many good things!
Hannariel/Brioney

Awarded:

Oh, yes the Crystal Singer!

bandleader
Avangrod

I've read 6 or 7 pern books great stuff!!! Also read a couple Acorna the Unicorn girl books hehehe... and no that doesn't make me a bronie!!! Maybe a little more floofy though 8P

Nibun
Officer

Awarded:

re: re: Fans of Dragonriders of Pern

Avangrod wrote:
I've read 6 or 7 pern books great stuff!!! Also read a couple Acorna the Unicorn girl books hehehe... and no that doesn't make me a bronie!!! Maybe a little more floofy though 8P

Hahaha you got it straight out of my mouth twisted

(It's alright, Nibun has been seen wandering around in a pink shirt, who am I to judge tongue out )

"Hvat er þat Khazâd er í mínum sal verpumk orði á? Fundthradiru uzbadul Gwyneth-dûm!" 

Characters: Nibun, Baudhaegas, Albodr

Avangrod

By the way I must have played around 40ish tabletop rpgs in my day, and I do remember hearing about Pern one(s?)( could have been some homebrew thing not sure) but never got the chance to play them myself. Hope you have a fantastic campaign!!!

Carysta

Awarded:

Avangrod wrote:

Look up The Rowan. It's the first of the Tower and the Hive series and it's amazing, in my opinion :)

Also, I forgot to mention The Ship Who Sang and the other ones in that series (some of which were collaborated on with other authors), they are also great!
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Oh yes, those were wonderful books, too! Now I'm feeling the urge to read them again.

I never saw an official Pern RPG, but I did GM a homebrew at several conventions in California, back in the 80's. The games always filled up quickly. I loved the sort of people that Pern games attracted. Much like the classic Star Trek and LotR fans, they were always good-hearted folk.

Awarded:

I love the Pern books too! Also have read some of her others as well. I really liked the Powers trilogy especially. I need to see about finding some of the ones I've missed, like the Ship books.

LMB alts: Isranayr, Estelmiriel, Illystar, Silmairien, Cyrce, Snapdragonn, Wyldbyrd, Jaznah, and Wyldbeary

Fury's Paean: Ladgerdaa, Simoric

Werewargs of Lindon: Scallywarg, Scallypaws

Order of the Silver Flame alts: Drakmoor, Dawnie, and others

Alt kins: Scallyrats Rum Pirates: Beldawraith, Gilarii, Alagosil

East of the Sun West of the Moon: Mystralia 

Pies n' Pints: Belgariath 

Pievengers of the Shire: Snowdropp

Scallyrat's Rum Pirate Band: Scallysong, Scallyrum, Scallymouse, Scallyrogue, and Scallyshark

The Byrd and Berri Inn: Wyldbyrd, Wyldberri

other games: SWTOR (Loeci, Gil'raen and many others), ESO @wolfsong66 (Loeci, Shaolinn, Illystar, White'heart, Drak'moor, etc)

“Above all shadows rides the Sun
and Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.”

Carysta

Awarded:

Loeci wrote:
I love the Pern books too! Also have read some of her others as well. I really liked the Powers trilogy especially. I need to see about finding some of the ones I've missed, like the Ship books.

You can sometimes find the Ship books at used book stores, or through Thriftbooks.com (oh so many many books there) or they're even all in ebook format now so maybe a library service like Hoopla would have :) Or amazon. Or somewhere :)

Is it festival time yet?
Juneith

Love the Pern books, have read many of them, even had my book club read the first one (they liked it too). But have never played or knew about any games.... then again this is the only video game I play, sooo…. (not even sure what the words PernMUSH or SoCon mean)
Avangrod

Hmm actually just finished a book and looking for a new one to read maybe it will be Pern

Carysta

Awarded:

Avangrod wrote:
Hmm actually just finished a book and looking for a new one to read maybe it will be Pern

Hahah 'a' book ;)

http://pern.srellim.org/readorder.htm

This is the publication order. Some people prefer chronological but for a first go-through I kind of agree with this list. Second read through in time order is fun too!

Is it festival time yet?
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: