Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Postcards from Middle Earth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluecup Bumbleroot

re: The Little Blue(cup) Book

T'isn't seem long at all, very much really, if you think about it. That I've been away, of course, I mean. No, not really away, away, simply a little bit lost and a tiny bit bewildered. I suppose that should do it to a Hobbit when faced with the idea that your world is much larger than a bounder's hill, Gamma's sweet meat pies and a delicious spicy apple cider.

I've taken to learning so many things. You wouldn't know it just to look at me but I even went hungry for very long days once. T'wasn't my fault you see. Nobody told me the Lembas bread shouldn't've been used like sandwich bread. Three times. In a day.

Well-a-day, I meant to say something here about how I think 't'is time to pull me boots up and have a gander around. Thinking a bit like I've come home somehow, after not really leaving it; yet there I do, and there it is. I've a mighty list of things I still need to do, people to see, old friends to shake hands with and...old friends to mourn. Bless me, Tinki, you were the sweetest, and I hear others have gone too. But that's all well then, isn't it? They live on, they do. So long as we say their names and sing their songs and bake their cakes, we'll carry their hearts along with us on every adventure.

It was terribly impulsive of me to use precious travel rations from my spur of the moment run from The Misty Mountains all the way back to the Shire, but I think sometimes home is not only where the heart is, or the foot, but that sense of peace when you think you shan't find it ever again.

It is good, now. I made it home for a breather of sorts. A little break before I go to see what there's to see around yon corner.
It is better.
It is always good to come home.
Forum Image

Last edited by Bluecup Bumbleroot on 2018/08/14 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Awarded:

Lovely Blue.
Welcome Home.

Crystalleowyn

What a nice homecoming story!

When I saw the title, my mind started looking for lyrics to go with the melody for "Little Duece Coupe."

She's my little Bluecup...
And she's finally come home...
Bluecup Bumbleroot

Sadness and joy.

Think me, that this is just how living works, aye? There is sorrow in living but incredible joy. I say this, as I have re-visited Rivendell, an' the impression the fine elven folk leave me with is a mix of ages. Living' so long, I don't quite know, really, if that's a thing I'd want. Sure'n' we Hobbits enjoy a few years more'n' human folks...But..To live centuries? To remember all that have marched 'afore and all that came after. Heavy burden to bear, thinks I.

And yet, there is so much beauty to them--the elven folk, I mean. They have so long to create and refine. I dunno where I was going with all this, but I never forget. Such sorrow always makes my heart hurt, and I wonder if Elven kind appreciate random hugs as much as we Hobbit folk? They seem so far away in their memory, and terribly proper folk. I've no idea if embracing is a thing they welcome.

Note to self: must hug random elf and find out.

Forum Image

Forum Image

Awarded:

Bluecup Bumbleroot wrote:
Sadness and joy.

Think me, that this is just how living works, aye? There is sorrow in living but incredible joy.

This. SO much this, it is so true. Your posts are beautiful and really struck a chord with me. And, I think you should hug every elf you see - I do, they don't seem to mind! :)

Is it festival time yet?
Bluecup Bumbleroot

re: Take Root

Good timber does not grow with ease,
The stronger wind, the stronger trees,
The further sky, the greater length,
The more the storm, the more the strength.
By sun and cold, by rain and snow,
In trees and men good timbers grow.

Where thickest lies the forest growth
We find the patriarchs of both.
And they hold counsel with the stars
Whose broken branches show the scars
Of many winds and much of strife.
This is the common law of life.

--Good Timber, by Douglas Malloch

Dark times, dark times--all in the heart, methinks. Foras much as I'd like to admit to being braver than I look and looking braver than I like, t'isn't always the case. Somedays, one needs to return to the hole-in-the-ground, as you like, and recharge and rest. So I did, so I did.

Yet, this too shall pass. Joy in the small and small joys in small things; a hobbit hole, a good cuppa, a spring rain for a healthy crop. Yet those months of rest became heavier and heavier. The world is not yet done with me, I think, for the days are still dark tho' sunshine persists, and I got to thinking rightly of all those who have no hobbit-hole to return to and the sights the world has shown me that I cannot unsee. My home is my heart, and should I keep it away, then what good will it do for others? Not much, says and thinks I, not much indeed.

And so it goes. I packed up my bag and mended Appleleaf's saddle. I covered the bed and the lounge, the kitchen table and couch with linens against dust, and I stood in my home and held my breath. In it, I kept the smell of sunshine on a well-loved book, the memory of my mam's cooking in the kitchen, and the sweet sound of music and laughter. Things that I knew would carry my feet once again for many days.

While the times is dark, my heart knows it must be still. I let out my breath and shut my door, knowing this was good and right. Hiding away healed the soul but doing something right and good in this world is better. It's time to take the road less traveled once more, with a spring in my step and a tune in my soul.

Forum Image

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: