Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> J.R.R. Tolkien
View previous topic :: View next topic  

My preference for the next LMB Book Club discussion is:
The Second Age: The History of the Akallabêth: The Silmarillion
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
The First Age through the Fall of Fingolfin: The Silmarillion, from Of the Beginning of Days through Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
The Fellowship of the Ring: focus on themes, symbols, and character development
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

Hollyberye

Awarded:

re: The Lonely Mountain Band Book Club: Our Next Adventure

Greetings,

Here are three ideas for our next foray into the lore of Middle-earth...please vote for your preference but your comments added below are even more important. While I may not pick the choice with the most votes, I will listen to what you want and try to plan for it in the future.

The Second Age: The History of the Akallabêth from The Silmarillion; LOTR Appendix B-The Tale of Years; and a brief account in Unfinished Tales. The least amount of information exists covering the Second Age. I would cover the Akallabêth in depth, similar to how we approached The Tale of Beren and Lúthien. Possibly 8-10 sessions.

The First Age through the Fall of Fingolfin: The Silmarillion, from Of the Beginning of Days through Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin. That's eighteen chapters, which I would attempt to cover at a much higher level than the approach I took with The Children of Turin and The Tale of Beren and Lúthien. I would summarize narrative at a higher level, and just pick a few topics and themes from each chapter. Not sure it is possible, but I would try for one chapter per session.

The Fellowship of the Ring: focus on themes, symbols, and character development. Approximately one or two chapters each session, for 12-18 sessions, would be the goal.

This time around I would like to draft all my summaries and preliminary discussion points in advance, which I think would make for more enjoyment for me, so it doesn't feel like a burden/tight schedule once we start. That means we won't start right away. Perhaps we would start in September? The sessions will likely meet around 4:15 PM server time on Sundays, following Andune Ensemble, for 1.25 hours to 1.75 hours. As always, folks would not need to commit to all sessions, drop-ins and anyone unfamiliar with the material are always welcome, and you do not have to be in the Bird and Baby Inn (though that is more fun). You can simply listen through the channel, lmbbookclub.

Looking forward to some feedback. As always, the contributions of book club attendees are what make the sessions special. Thank you!

Hollyberye
Corulin
Corumael
Pretty Officer

Awarded:

Yay! Book Club! =D

I don't really have any preferences since I won't have the energy to read any books, but I really enjoy following the book club discussions with a cup of tea while I learn stuff! =D So what ever the decision is, I'll be a happy camper! It all sounds very interesting! =D

Awarded:

I don't really have any preferences either, Holly, all of these sound great!

Also Sandy Gorseleaf of Clan Etal
Elimraen
Officer

Hooray, book club returns!

I'd be happy with any of the options but I voted for Fellowship because it's more familiar to me than the Silmarillion, which would make a change from what we've done so far. But I'm still, slowly, reading the Silmarillion, so it is becoming more familiar. Though keeping all those names and great deeds straight in my mind is still a challenge! I'm also rereading Fellowship at the moment and it's like a warm cosy homecoming :) But anyway. Happy with anything, like I said :)

For me, an hour and a half past the end of Andune is 10.45pm, which is pretty late for a Sunday, so if it looks like it's going on later than about 10.15 I will probably need to bow out around then.

I'm really looking forward to this starting up again, Holly :)

Looks like I'm the only one who voted for the First Age... there is a lot of dense information there anyhow (Like the Book of Lost Tales I I just finished!)

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> J.R.R. Tolkien All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: