Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forte Maestro

Awarded:

re: Parade of Lights -Saturday, December 12 - 5-7pm

Kira if you look back, I volunteered to do a winter story. But, can't do it during the specific time. The 5-7 time is still 2-4 pacific 3-4 mountain, etc so is a bit early for 3/4 of the US during the week. Might I suggest changing the time to atleast 5-7 pacific or move it to the Saturday. Event wise there is space from 5-7 on Sat as after the Academy, there are no events going on scheduled til 7.

If any of the above can be considered as i said before the Academy can help perform, AND I have a story to tell.

Awarded:

Forte, the event is currently scheduled for a Saturday.

Kira, I don't know when Yule Festival will begin, but it would be nice to have an event in one of our neighborhoods regardless. Ales & Tales will be at Yule Fest hopefully on Dec. 21st (assuming it has started by then) but it would be nice to have a separate event anyway. If current trends hold, we won't know when Yule Fest starts until it has already started.

I'm confident we could pull together some Old Winyardsers for some holiday-themed music also. It would be nice to have more stories and/or a short play too.

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Forte Maestro

Awarded:

Ah, I was looking at the Nov calendar hehe

LOTROArtists shows Yule starting the 16th, which we were informed by community manager when he listed the winter events.

Awarded:

Is there any existing tradition of Yule-tide Waits (=carol singers) on Landroval? If not, can we start one? An LMB based band moving from spot to spot to play a tune in each. (On Laurelin this is done at the Winterfest village, and ends up with a free-for-all snowball fight)

Lhinnthel
Lhinnthel
High Officer

Awarded:

If I remember correctly, in past years, Green Hill Music Society/Bounders of the Shire (I recall Carndan heading it last year) has led a Wassailing in the Shire and invited different bands to play around the Shire Neighborhoods. I've not heard anything about this year's plans, yet!

Other games :: GW2 (Fayarra.4827) :: ESO (Fayarra26)
"...the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing:
there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Forte Maestro

Awarded:

We could do a round of MD, Thorins, Bree, Festival area and Celindom caroling? Do like 30 min at each? Maybe end at festival area for snowball fighting, costume contest?

Awarded:

I could try to write some story for the night. But could not show up till later most likely. Let me see if I can come up with something.
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

I love the idea of having a mounted parade from Michel Delving through Bree-town to the ranch. I'm worried that going any farther distance will take too long. I've left 2 hours open for the event and we have 1 hour of music on the schedule.

We could do some caroling in Michel Delving and Bree along the way. Fantastic idea! If we can come up with sparklers and lanterns, we could offer those to people who aren't able to bring their own. Perhaps we could stop and play 2-3 holiday-themed songs. Again, any more than this and I'm worried the event will run long.

Once we get to the ranch, we could have a holiday-themed outfit contest. Prizes of 1500 TP, 1000 TP, and 500 TP.
Maybe we should have two contests --- Best Snow Lord or Lady (white, silver, grey outfits) and Best Spirit of Yule (yule-themed)?

After that we could have a game. What sounds best -- name that holiday song, winter trivia, or something else? What do you think would work best? Same prizes of 1500 TP, 1000 TP, and 500 TP.

Next up, if we get some storyteller volunteers, we can sit back for a nice winter tale.

Finally, some open mic for people who bring holiday music?

4:45pm -- At the Pony stage, Old Winyards plays music so people know where the mounted procession will begin.
5:00pm -- Light the lanterns. (Have people equip their sparklers and lanterns, hand out any extras.)
5:05pm -- Begin the ride to the ranch at a walk.
5:25pm -- Arrive at the ranch. Welcome everyone and The Remediators start holiday music. Take fashion contest registrations.
5:30pm -- Begin the "Snow Lord or Lady" mounted fashion contest in the front yard.
5:50pm -- Move indoors and begin the "Spirit of Yule" fashion contest.
6:20pm -- Songs with lyrics by The Remediators.
6:30pm -- Stories by Daffodilia? (with music by Old Winyards?)
7:00pm -- Open mic for anyone who wants to play music or tell Yule stories.

Last edited by Kiralynn of Rohan on 2015/11/16 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Awarded:

Old Winyards should be able to cover whichever slots, as long as we know them enough in advance to allow folks to plan accordingly.

I forget how long it takes to ride from MD to Bree, but it will depend on whether we walk or gallop, and whether everyone is on the same-speed steed (hint: they won't be :P ).

Say, if we're riding to the Ranch for a yule-themed event ... how about making one of the yule-outfit categories be for a riding outfit (i.e. horse + rider)?

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Burdie
Daffodilia

Sorry I haven't piped in at all on this, been swatting Busy Bees of late. Fali has said there may be a wassail this year, but we do not have a date yet. I will ask him at inspections on Sat if I don't see him sooner.

I'd be happy to tell a tale or three (or an alt will, depending). The event is the day after the monthly Shire December Story Night, so I have no idea if that's making a difference to anyone or it's just the usual Holly Day Busies.

Riding will present problems as have already been mentioned. Remember that due to the server transfer freezes, many folk still only have a visitor or name holder at best that may want to attend. Assume everyone has a starter steed at best, realize some won't have any steed at all, so test time the travel based on the both to get a good window. FYI: When we've done Bounder events from Stock (Perch) to Buckland (High Hay Gate) in the past, it can take near an hour just to do that with all the RP involved and cat herding. They were on foot at a walk and talk pace, but still, folk stop to say hullo to someone, lag, et al. Maybe some caps/hunters/muster horn bearing folk can be handy to help move things along if things run way behind?

Looking forward to whatever rolls out for the event.

Officer

Awarded:

Okay, I timed it an here's what I got. This is riding at a walk on a +68% steed, no Find the Path, following the road and not cutting corners.

00: Michel Delving
04 min: Waymeet
07 min: Road leading to Hobbiton
08 min: Bywater/Entrance to stage
10 min: Road to Frogmorton
13 min: Road to Budgeford
16 min: Stock
18 min: Brandywine Bridge
19 min: Road to Buckland
28 min: Adso's camp
31 min: Path to Barrow-downs
33 min: Greenway Crossing/Bridge outside Bree-town
34 min: West gate of Bree-town
36 min: Prancing Pony
37 min: Trader's Gate
38 min: Woodsmen's Gate
39 min: South gate of Bree-town

So as you can see, it's a ridiculously long ride at a walk.

My suggestion is that we move at a +62% gallop (very close to a warsteed trot) from Michel Delving to the West Gate of Bree. We can then switch to a walk as we move through Bree-town and stop for a couple of songs at the Pony stage.
We can continue at a walk until the South Gate and then switch back to a standard run/warsteed trot to the neighborhood.

How does that sound?

Awarded:

Sounds good. Riding fast through the Shire and Bree-land makes sense, as does a slower procession in Bree-town (there will be lag there anyway, and maybe some invisible-steeds!).

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Okay I did more timing runs. How about this schedule?

[First proposed schedule deleted to avoid confusion.]

If this is running too long, we can start the event at the Bree-town stage and have a procession to the Ranch.
This schedule would look something like...
4:45pm -- At the Pony stage, Old Winyards plays music so people know where the mounted procession will begin.
5:00pm -- Light the lanterns. (Have people equip their sparklers and lanterns, hand out any extras.)
5:05pm -- Begin the ride to the ranch at a walk.
5:25pm -- Arrive at the ranch. Welcome everyone and The Remediators start holiday music. Take fashion contest registrations.
5:30pm -- Begin the "Snow Lord or Lady" mounted fashion contest in the front yard.
5:50pm -- Move indoors and begin the "Spirit of Yule" fashion contest.
6:20pm -- Songs with lyrics by The Remediators.
6:30pm -- Stories by Daffodilia? (with music by Old Winyards?)
7:00pm -- Open mic for anyone who wants to play music or tell Yule stories.

This second schedule gives an hour playtime to The Remediators, two openings for music by Old Winyards, leaves the Old Winyards folks free to enter the fashion contests, and has 30 minutes for stories by Banders.

I dropped the trivia contest from both schedules because there isn't much free time in there.

The bottom line is that it takes 7 minute to gallop from Michel Delving to the West Gate of Bree-town, and 17 minutes to ride at a walk from the Prancing Pony to the ranch. Add a couple of minutes in there to organize folks.

Also, would we all like to ride the Glittering, Frosty, or Snowy yule steeds for the walking procession?

Feedback and comments are welcome and encouraged. Thanks!

Last edited by Kiralynn of Rohan on 2015/11/16 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Awarded:

I like the second schedule as it allows more time for stories/music and still includes the lighting of the lanterns, fashion contests and a ride. I love the idea of using one of the Yule steeds. As of now, I don't have anything planned for the 12th so plan to be there and will help with whatever is needed.

Other games :: GW2 (Fayarra.4827) :: ESO (Fayarra26)
"...the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing:
there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Please comment on the schedules this weekend if you find the time. I would like to be able to update the forum posts, advertisements, and most importantly... tell The Remediators and storytellers what to expect.

Thanks! :)

Page 2 of 5

Jump to: