Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> J.R.R. Tolkien
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Hollyberye

Awarded:

re: LMB Book Club--The Children of Hurin

Lilikate and Hollyberye are pleased to be your hosts at a Tolkien Book Club Discussion, commencing March 28th.

We will meet at The Bird and Baby Inn in Michel Delving, along with other members of The Inklings, who may care to listen in, and chat in /lmbbookclub, from 4PM to 5:30PM server time. Participating remotely in the chat channel is fine.

The first book under discussion will be The Children of Hurin by J.R.R. Tolkien. Published posthumously by Christopher Tolkien on 17 April 2007, it was written by Tolkien in the 1910's and revised many times but never quite finished. The book is readily available through library loan, and from purchase at bookstores and online, as well in recorded version (e.g., Audible). We will be prepared to discuss the preface, introduction, Chapter 1: The Childhood of Turin, Chapter 2: The Battle of Unnumbered Tears, and Chapter 3: The Words of Hurin and Morgoth at the initial meeting. Lilikate and I will pose open-ended questions and discussion points during the course of the meeting, but other participants will have ample opportunity to raise points that may steer the conversation along new paths, so long as it sticks to the first three chapters of the book. We will publish the chat log after, for anyone who wanted to be part of the discussion and could not make it. At the conclusion of the first session we will solicit thoughts on how frequently we should meet and how much of the book we should cover at each session.

Hope to see you there!

Hollyberye and Lilikate

Forum Image

Last edited by Hollyberye on 2015/04/26 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lauralda
Lauralda
Officer

Awarded:

This sounds most interesting! Big kudos to Holly and Lili for restarting this. Pending RL, I will be theres!
Now to find my copy of the book...anyone has an e-version?
Hollyberye

Awarded:

Lauralda wrote:
This sounds most interesting! Big kudos to Holly and Lili for restarting this. Pending RL, I will be theres!
Now to find my copy of the book...anyone has an e-version?

It looks like this site offers a free download: https://archive.org/details/J.R.R.TolkienTheChildrenOfHurin It seems legitimate and safe from what I can tell. I was able to actually see it online without downloading, too.
Rozalinde

This looks fantastic! I would love to be part of this.

Would it be all right if I invited the Concerned Hobbits? I know several who would be ALL OVER something like this. That said, I know this is an LMB thing, so I want to make sure I have permission before I start roping them in.

Awarded:

Rozalinde wrote:
This looks fantastic! I would love to be part of this.

Would it be all right if I invited the Concerned Hobbits? I know several who would be ALL OVER something like this. That said, I know this is an LMB thing, so I want to make sure I have permission before I start roping them in.

It's absolutely fine...I ran/participated in a lot of lunchtime book club discussions from work and we welcomed folks from all over the organization, and it helped build friendships and inter-departmental relations, actually. They are very welcome :).

Holly
Lhinnthel
Lhinnthel
High Officer

Awarded:

So looking forward to this! Now, I have an excuse to add to my tiny collection of LoTR books!

Other games :: GW2 (Fayarra.4827) :: ESO (Fayarra26)
"...the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing:
there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
shava23
Officer

I hope I can get it from the library in time to read and attend.

Hello old friends...:)

Artemesia Bounderbuck
Elimraen
Officer

This is very exciting! I really hope I'll be able to be there!

Hullo -

Well done Holly for getting this started in my absence - I hope to be able to read this book before Saturday. I do remember not finding it an easy read when I picked it up after purchase.

See you at the Club!

Hi! :)

I'd love to join the LMB Book club, it sound like so much fun! I've read many a books in my life, but never been to a book club before, and I like the idea of it happening while actually being inside of the virtual world of middle earth! =D

I've borrowed the book from the library (both in English and Swedish to make it a little easier for myself) and will try to buy a copy of my own as soon as possible. By the way, does anybody know if there are different versions of the book, either way I hope they all have those beautiful illustrations by Alan Lee inside of them! =D

Other then reading the chapters allotted for the first meeting is there anything else I need to think about, or do, to be prepared before we meet up?

Lavendla is a little hobbit who loves finding and farming ingredients and to make and eat food.
Lindorieh
Morfindiel
Officer

Awarded:

I'll be out of town but I'm looking forward to future meetings!
Hollyberye

Awarded:

Isilerin wrote:
Hi! :)

I'd love to join the LMB Book club, it sound like so much fun! I've read many a books in my life, but never been to a book club before, and I like the idea of it happening while actually being inside of the virtual world of middle earth! =D

I've borrowed the book from the library (both in English and Swedish to make it a little easier for myself) and will try to buy a copy of my own as soon as possible. By the way, does anybody know if there are different versions of the book, either way I hope they all have those beautiful illustrations by Alan Lee inside of them! =D

Other then reading the chapters allotted for the first meeting is there anything else I need to think about, or do, to be prepared before we meet up?

Welcome, Isilerin, it will be lovely to have you in /lmbbookclub chat for this. Because we will be reading this quite slowly, you may have to renew your book(s) many times. For the first meeting, you need only read through the first three chapters (including the preface and introduction). The book does, indeed, contain some beautiful Alan Lee illustrations, which we will discuss as we proceed through the book.

The venue for our discussion is unique for myself as well--live typed chat in the virtual world. I will send out a reminder, but all you have to do is joinchannel /lmbbookclub.

As far as a know, there is only one published version of the book. Tolkien worked on the story and made many iterations, but only one definitive version was published posthumously by Christopher Tolkien.

Holly
Lilikate

For all those who may find listening an easier experience I found a wonderful read of this book on YouTube. Wonderfully read by Christopher Lee, the first three chapters flew by for me and were highly entertaining if a little sad.

No prologue or intro in this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkdQmQSa98Q

Awarded:

I'm looking forward to this. I've never read this book before, and I love how it contains more anecdotes about the characters than is in "The Silmarillion" and "Unifinished Tales." I do wonder how much is really Tolkien and how much is Christopher, but I love it. :)

Also Sandy Gorseleaf of Clan Etal
Hollyberye

Awarded:

Molly Bayberry wrote:
I'm looking forward to this. I've never read this book before, and I love how it contains more anecdotes about the characters than is in "The Silmarillion" and "Unifinished Tales." I do wonder how much is really Tolkien and how much is Christopher, but I love it. :)

It's really J.R.R. Tolkien...and of the points we will raise as we start to discuss this book is this very point.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> J.R.R. Tolkien All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: