Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaerri
Kaerri
Officer

Awarded:

re: Article on high-stepping horses

Because every time I see something about horses, I think of Kira and WAR.

http://www.npr.org/2014/08/30/344319283/tennessee-walking-horse-show-steps-up-inspection-efforts

Officer

Awarded:

re: Article on high-stepping horses

Articles like this always leave me feeling queasy because they're true. There are terrible abuses of horses, especially in sports where considerable money is on the line. You see this same abuse of all animals involved in sports, including dogs. I can only imagine that these unbelievably cruel people never get to know their animals. Surely, if they knew how animals think and feel so much like humans, how they actually love (proven now biologically), they wouldn't be able to treat them that way.

Thank goodness some equine sports aren't as prone to animal cruelty!

It's especially hard for me, living in a state where dog and cock fighting are not uncommon. I adopted a second dog to better protect my first from people who would steal him to be a bait dog. (Most people won't try to snatch multiple large dogs, as it's more dangerous.) My first shepherd was actually stolen, probably for that purpose, but she managed to jump off the back of the truck and run over a mile across woods to reach my car, where I was shouting at the top of my lungs and giving chase. She could have broken her legs jumping out of a moving vehicle, or she could have disappeared altogether. Several times, the police have found huge piles of discarded bait dog corpses, once even containing the missing dog of a prominent member of legislature. Despite his very public protests, most dog fighting rings are still broken up by the ASPCA and not local law enforcement.

All I can say is... call your representative when a bill to protect animals comes up, call the ASPCA or animal control any time you see animal abuse, and whenever possible, adopt.

Jump to: