Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Archives - Old News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spego
GrooWanderer
Officer

re: Music Changes for Update 15

Looks like the devs at Turbine are listening again with some possible music changes coming down the pike.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?555060-The-Music-System-updates-for-U15

Looks promising and exciting!

Here's a quick summary:

So this is the short list of things that are being worked on:

Existing Instruments:

-pitch adjustments
-volume adjustments
-Balance adjustments
-tuning pass --which already sounds awesome.

We have a couple of stretch goals-so no promises!! NO PROMISES.

-New Instrument- String Bass-with sustained notes.
-New Instrument-Serpentine- Play the dragon.
IF/when we do new instruments they will be for the ABC system only and not for Minstrel skills. Sorry, but that is the compromise we need to make.

-Stages in the world. Yes one that can be spawned in on Weathertop for events is considered.

Officer

Awarded:

Woohoo, the secret is out! Those of us on the Players Council have had a hard time keeping quiet about it.

Please do reply to that post to show your support of music system upgrades, especially an instanced stage area for Weathertop, which would be mob-free and have better places for the band to play.

The two new stretch goals for a bass string and bass horn would be amazing.

Awarded:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssss! Score!
Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

Hooray!

Hopefully we won't have to re-vamp old ABCs to adjust for the changes, but still: hooray!

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Tamoro
Officer

Awarded:

What is a tuning pass? (pardon my musical ignorance)

Otherwise, you've got this hobbit's Seal of Approval
(he eats all the fish, so be sure to have a couple on hand... AR-AR-AR-AR!)

Pretty Officer

Awarded:

Byrcha wrote:
Hooray!

Hopefully we won't have to re-vamp old ABCs to adjust for the changes, but still: hooray!

Produktion Malphunktion mentioned something about that in the thread, below is the quote for those who doesn't want to visit the official forums :)

Produktion Malphunktion wrote:
We are using existing, and popular ABC's from the community for testing. If you have some that you fear may be effected, when we get U15 up on the test world try them out, if they are really out of whack send us a couple of the ABC's and we can work on it. What we are trying to do is when a band is playing the volume is more normalized, and all the instruments are in tune with each other, instead of in tune with themself...if that makes sense.

Maybe we should have an ABC testing concert on Bullroarer when that time comes? :)

I wouldn't mind seeing if something is done about the way bagpipes sometimes get really short cut off notes in game even though they sound nothing like that in the ABC Player :)

Tamoro wrote:
What is a tuning pass? (pardon my musical ignorance)

I think he's referring to this...

What we are trying to do is when a band is playing the volume is more normalized, and all the instruments are in tune with each other, instead of in tune with themself...if that makes sense.

So the band would have the opportunity to "tune" before practicing or performing, just like in RL? I think that's pretty awesome.

I think I'm most excited about the sustained String Bass. Dear Eru, YES.

Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

We really need more replies to the official post, even if it's just to say "Hooray!" This is our big chance to encourage the stretch goals to be completed. Your post really does make a difference. Encourage others to post as well.

I don't think the new system is going to let us tune our own instruments. I believe they're changing the sound of all instruments so that they sound good together. Right now, some of them sound best with Medieval music, some with Renaissance, some with modern. An instrument tuned to sound good playing Baroque is wretched playing Michel Jackson, unless it's Jackson in the 1600's. They're also going to have the same volume level when they're at +mf+ and so forth. It's terribly hard to balance instruments when a single volume setting in ABC produces a different volume output depending on the instrument.

Yes, this means that we may have to tinker with any of our ABC files where we adjusted the volume on specific instruments. For example, I have a lot of horns down at +ppp+ which are as loud as flutes on +mp+, so suddenly they're going to start tooting instead of blasting. I feel that it'll be well worth the effort of listening to our songs and making the necessary ABC changes.

Hopefully the authors of Maestro, ABC Player, and other related testing applications will quickly update to handle any changes, so that we don't need huge music testing groups to sort this out.

Awarded:

Michael Jackson in the 1600? Sounds like a typical Tyrion Lannister lament:

She was more like a beauty queen from a riches scene
I said dont mind, but what do you mean I am the one
Who will dance on the floor in the round
She said I am the one who will dance on the floor in the round

She told me her name was Lady Jean, as she caused a scene
Then every head turned with eyes that dreamed of being the one
Who will dance on the floor in the round

People always told me be careful of what you do
And dont go around breaking young girls' hearts
And mother always told me be careful of who you love
And be careful of what you do cause the lie becomes the truth

et cetera, et cetera...

But yay, that's a nice development with the tuning of the instruments :)

Pretty Officer

Awarded:

A quote from Produktion Malphunktion about violins :)

Violin- not for U15. But let me ask, if we 'fake' it and use already established animations instead of creating violin animations would that be acceptable?

I wouldn't mind a reused animation... I just want my violin sound! And maybe later when the Beornings and the next area are done they'll have the time and manpower to add the violin animations =D

Officer

Awarded:

Posted a comment in the official thread. :D

Awarded:

I saw Sapience today at PAX Prime and gave him a hug for getting this moving before he left.

Alinniel Level 75 Elf Minstrel Celebari Level 17 Elf Runekeeper Arellith Level 31 Woman Burgler Eustoma Level 18 Hunter and many other characters I'm trying out. Yes I'm an altaholic. Blog: Glimpses from Other Lands

Lilikate

I have added my thoughts to the thread on LOTRO.com

Quote:

I welcome the news that the LOTRO music system is going to get some much needed TLC!

Thank you P.M. for bringing us this good news.

I welcome the proposed changes to the intonation and volumes. I do not mind having to re-transcribe all my arrangements. I have some big numbers in there! The end result, music files which are far superior to what we have now. I feel it is well worth the added work.

I love the proposed new instruments, I look forward to seeing what can be done with them.

Animations: I do not mind waiting for new animations! As long as we can be assured they are WIP.

What I would like to see further:

As the leader of a large musical group I find there are two issues with the proposed changes. Speaking totally selfishly.

New Instruments: The Starlight Orchestra is a full raid musical group. would it be possible to be able to gather in a musical group in larger numbers than 24? I'd love to add additional spots within TSO - but feel this would mean too great a change to the system, and not possible to achieve. With Fiddles, Serpentines and String Basses I could use 30 spots in my orchestra. (I really don't expect this change to happen but if you don't ask - folks don't know what you want).

The musical system- Again within a large orchestra we are only able to transcribe for a set amount of tones at any one time before the LOTRO game system randomly cuts tones from the song. Could this allowance be increased? Bruzo (Landroval) knows more about the tech side of this issue than I. I think it is set to 64 tones at any one time at the moment. 128 would be a nice improvement, especially as those strings are so tone heavy.

I am really excited about the up-coming changes to the system. My mind boggles at the possible creative projects that I will be able to pursue after U15. Please extend my thanks to all the Turbine staff working on this project.

What I would like to see in game: An in-built songbook to the game would be great, as would some way of seeing who is synced to which part.

What I would love to see out of game: This is to the general LOTRO community. I really need a method of playing ABC files which plays the volume balance as we hear it in game or even as the converter sets. This would be an enormous help to all who create or listen to LOTRO musical files.

Awarded:

I posted my approval on the forum thread. Huzzah!

Great news!!! Thank you to those of you involved in moving this forwards.

As for the violin animation.... as long as we get the violin sound (and it sounds good), I don't care if it comes out of a pighorn! (Though those who like pighorns might disagree with that. hahahah)

:)

Other active games: ESO (Tearna, T'nar, Tealan, etc.)
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Archives - Old News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: