Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

re: Extra Life Fundraiser Event

Now that the chaotic storm of Weatherstock is behind us, I'd like to see if there's any interest in putting together an Extra Life fundraiser event in-game. This would have a lot of benefits. It would raise money for sick kids, cause Turbine to unlock a really AWESOME!!!OMG!!! prize for people who donate, and thank Sapience for his support of our events.

I've been mulling over ideas, coming up with things that seem to be popular in the Landroval community:
* Mounted procession -- Don't ask me why, but people love to ride together through the hills of the Shire and Bree.
* Music -- Everybody loves music and dancing. You can never have enough of this.
* Roleplay -- Quite a popular past-time, even on Landroval which is only RPE.

So, I thought we might host an event:

* Storyteller's Festival (Sat, Sept 20 at 6pm?) -- I had an idea which might be fun on multiple levels. I redecorated around the ranch to look like people from Rohan have come to tell stories of far away lands. We'll start with a mounted procession from Bree to Windy Acres. We would invite everyone there to set up and play music, recite poems, and tell tales with Autumn, scary, and equestrian themes. With a little luck, we could pre-schedule a couple of bands and some storytellers to set up around the neighborhood to entertain. Visitors could also pick their own spots to perform and join in.

If you get a chance, stop by the Raglan neighborhood of Bree-land and look at the exterior decorations around the ranch. It's already set up, and you might find the huorns interesting!

You can find more info here: http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=88974

Last edited by Kiralynn of Rohan on 2014/07/03 4:08 pm; edited 7 times in total

Awarded:

4th July? That's my retirement date, so nice of you to have a party for me =D

I certainly support Extra Life and have done for a couple of years now. Mind you, even I get tired of Sapience's endless tweeting about it eye roll

Anyway, you have my support if possible.

Hollyberye

Awarded:

Kiralynn,

I really like the idea of the 4th of July show and do not think it would be a burden. Why not do that first and then decide about the follow-on mystery fund raiser? The latter sounds great, too.

Count me in as able to help with fireworks, and if one of our bands play, I'm delighted to join in that.

A lot of folks in the states are busy on the 4th, so we might want to have it on the Saturday or Sunday afternoon, the 5th or 6th.

Holly
Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

I am in full support of this worthy cause. As to dates to do things, most anything set to take place on a holiday or too early in the day is pretty much a no go for me.

I am thinking to make things a bit more interesting, how about a chicken race? The participants are those that make a donation of say 5 dollars to the charity. They will race from the farm in the shire to Lonelands or Rivendell. Prizes to the first three to reach the finish line.

This can add a playful aspect to the fund raiser.
Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

We're also planning to have Ales & Tales at Methel Stage on July 7th ... a known hot-spot for fireworks launching!

I like the Rohan-themed Raglan neighborhood event! Yahr may be out on parole by then.

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Hollyberye

Awarded:

Aedon Durreah wrote:
I am in full support of this worthy cause. As to dates to do things, most anything set to take place on a holiday or too early in the day is pretty much a no go for me.

I am thinking to make things a bit more interesting, how about a chicken race? The participants are those that make a donation of say 5 dollars to the charity. They will race from the farm in the shire to Lonelands or Rivendell. Prizes to the first three to reach the finish line.

This can add a playful aspect to the fund raiser.

Brilliant suggestion!
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Those are some great suggestions!

Would folks prefer to have the fireworks fundraiser at Ales and Tales on a Monday night, July 7...
Or would you prefer to have it on a Saturday, July 5 at oh, let's say 8pm servertime?

To launch fireworks as a team, it's very simple. I put together lines of text that look something like this:
FIREWORKS: red -- Org -- YLW -- YLW -- Org -- red

This is assuming six people are standing in a line.
When this pops up in Fellowship/Raid chat, the first person in the row launches a red firework, the second launches an orange one, and so forth.
The lower case, cap case, and upper case just helps people find their code faster in the text string; your code will always be lower-, cap- or upper-case.
So all you need to do is have an inventory full of fireworks in all the colors, watch for the next line of text, and launch whatever color comes up for your position.

At the Spring Racing Carnival, this system allowed a team to launch 60 rounds of fireworks with precision, with no practice or training ahead of time. I also allows me to have routines ready for a large number of participants, so that I simply pick the one for the number of volunteers who actually show up, and use Lyrical to announce that.

Could we perhaps have the chicken run just before the fireworks? If we have the fireworks in Bree on Saturday night, we could have a chicken run from the farm to Bree, then launch fireworks? Perhaps I can come up with some TP prizes for a chicken run.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

For the storytelling, music, and mystery event, I'm thinking of something that won't require too much planning.

I'd like to get six "actor" volunteers to give out clues, but it won't have the level of dialog or complexity that a normal mystery event has. Roleplay will be much more up to the actors; they can create their own roles.

I can invite a couple of bands to play, and we can invite other musicians and storytellers through advertising.

Folks can find a good spot to play once they arrive, without having to organize it in advance, as I have decorated the neighborhood to have numerous campfires, huorns, tents, and other scenic gathering spots. There will also be 6-7 decorated interior spaces to choose from.

Here are some proposed dates:
* Saturday, September 13 -- It's definitely autumn, but not overlapping October Halloween events.
* Saturday, September 20 -- A week later, a bit more time to plan and for people to write their short stories.

I'm respectfully leaving September 27 off the list, as this is typically when the Fellowship Walk begins. It runs through October, so I should probably avoid that month, unless the folks who organize it want to have this event during their stop in Bree, extending the walk to the neighborhood. The plus would be combining two fundraisers, but the negative is that we'd need to know the specific date they'd arrive, and that's usually up in the air because it's based on donations.

What do you think? Should we host it in mid-September or ask the Fellowship Walk folks if they'd like to join forces?

Awarded:

I'd go for the separate event earlier in September, since it will be easier to organize without coordinating with the Fellowship Walk. FYI: the LMB Brewery also has some Rohan-themed decor and we could add some more.

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Lilikate

If I am back with a working game I would love to help. As it stands I am good for very little. LOTRO Players articles is about all I can offer at this time.
BarrelRider

I'd love to help out in whatever capacity is needed, for pretty much any of these great ideas! Absolutely loving all the creativity :)
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

I'd really like to make this fundraiser a reality. Sapience has given the LMB so much over the years. Let's see if we can return the favor. If you're interested in this event, please post dates and times when you're available during the first two weeks of September. Thanks!

Awarded:

Too early to know exact dates/times for September, but I should be available to help.

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

If you know of a band who might be willing to play at this event, please contact them. Let them know that we'll be hosting it either Saturday September 6th or 13th -- we're not sure which date yet, but we'd love to know their availability. Thanks!

I'm open to suggestions with this event. I'd love your feedback.

My idea is to have folks set up all around the ranch and surrounding houses, roleplaying and playing music. During the first half, we'll let people run around and have fun, gathering clues for the treasure hunt and enjoying the entertainment where they wish. During the second half, we'll take a group around the neighborhood, stopping at each performer who has signed up, allowing them to tell their tale, play their music, recite their poem, and so forth. After a complete circuit, we head back to the ranch and let everyone vote on the best ones. Finally, if we have a band, they can play a closing party concert. Does this sound like a viable plan?

Awarded:

Bits & Pieces can do some western style music again like they did at SRC if you want Kira.
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

I'd love it if Bits & Pieces would play! :)

I'm hoping the theme will be autumn, spooky, mystery, adventure, and Rohan.

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: