Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How should we run the Bree Championship Cup?
Restrict to +62% horses, speed check
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Restrict to +68% horses
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Allow riding traits with standard steeds
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Race war steeds
100%
 100%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 6

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

re: SRC - The BIG Question - How to handle the Bree Cup

Here comes the big question I have been putting off.

Because of the addition of undetectable speed buffs, we can't determine the maximum speed of a character's standard horse. This leaves us with four options -

* Restrict the championship race to +62% horses. Have the riders do a short test run before the real race. If anyone pulls out ahead, we know they need to activate Smell the Roses... or other people have lag.

* Restrict the race to +68% horses and go by the honor system, hoping no one cheats. The prizes for winning are quite large, which will make it more tempting to cheat.

* Allow all standard steeds and the use of the riding trait, which means steeds will move up to +78%. Those who haven't purchased the Journeyman riding trait won't be able to compete.

* Run the race with war steeds, who are not subject to the riding traits or most speed buffs (correct?). Those who haven't earned their war steed won't be able to compete.

There's no perfect solution. I would appreciate your feedback on the best solution.

I think there are three good options in the selection. The two slower steeds or the war steed option.
I think I lean to the +62 and testing the speed option as well as using an honor system while the race is happening.
Sorry to be slow today Kira on my race planning but it will happen! It's 3rd on today's to do list.
Harperella
High Officer

I'd go with racing war steeds w/ no holds barred. Getting your war steed to fastest speed using every buff and tweak possible is going to be part of the race. This is much like real life, where training, equipment, and breeding all play into the races at the highest levels. Racing war steeds takes some more skill than a standard mount. It does cut down on who can participate. But isn't that the way of most competitive sports at the highest level? Give the participants as many knobs and variables as possible to give themselves an edge, they'll thank you for it and we won't have to play doping police.

The downside is that visitors from other servers don't play on a level field. But visitors from another server don't really care about Landroval Gold in any event. This is the Landroval Spring Racing Carnival, and as such there's going to be an inherent home court advantage for characters based out of Landroval.

--Harper

Awarded:

I voted warsteed. I think the other options are workable, but the warsteed option should yield the "fairest" race. It does restrict the field, but since the qualifier races are more open, lower level folks can race in those instead (and become inspired to get a warsteed here on Landroval).

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: