Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Keli
Keli
Officer

Awarded:

re: Spring Racing Carnival - Sat, May 17 - Planning Thread

Kira, I've done a quick post on Lotro Artists pointing to your site. This will get regularly tweeted. I will add to the calendar.

One thing if possible, can you change Andune to Andune Ensemble just to avoid any confusion?

Lilikate

I am going to make a sign up thread for my events and both bands.

To be able to pull off my part of this event I think I need to make a start on recruitment.

Does anyone have any objections to another SRC thread?
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Changed. Sorry about that, I had a lot of short-hand in the draft version and I missed that one.

Let's see how far we can get the word out! Is there anyone who can make German and French translations?

If anyone has an account on MMORPG or other sites, please post there, too.

I already announced this on LOTRO Players. I will make a more detailed post next week with the schedule included.
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Lilikate wrote:
I am going to make a sign up thread for my events and both bands.
To be able to pull off my part of this event I think I need to make a start on recruitment.
Does anyone have any objections to another SRC thread?

I started a few already as sign-ups for specific SRC events. I named them "Volunteer Call - " and then something else, like "Volunteer Call - Fireworks Launchers". They're in the Kinship Events forum. If you name yours the same, it might help us keep track of them?

Awarded:

Here's something to get you in the racing mood --
The Grand National 1956, Aintree Race Course, Liverpool
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-grand-national-5/

Quite the exciting steeplechase, 4.5 miles with 30 high jumps!
Notice the "huge" jockeys and how they don't crowd the inside fence.
Don't be confused, the voice is a few seconds ahead of the video.

Now here is the 1967 Grand National.
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-grand-national-2

You'll see lighter jockeys, more modern tactics, taller horses that clear the jumps cleaner, and faster speeds.
At 4 minutes, 45 seconds you'll see a wild pile-up and hear the jockeys shouting in panic.
Watch the winning horse snort steam even more than the Steam Noble Grey!

Enjoy!

Awarded:

The Grand National is indeed exciting and the peak jumpers race but every year horses die. You have to question whether that's a good thing.

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

In 2000, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2010, and 2013 no horses died. Since 2000, no more than two horses have died in a race. As you can tell from the archive footage, this is far fewer horses than used to be put down.

In the U.S., the fatality rate is somewhere around 2 horses per 1,000 starts. At many races around the world, horses are treated terribly and jockeys face unnecessary risks. It’s a sad truth of the sport.

There are actually a surprising number of deaths in many sports each year, including soccer. 8 noteworthy players died while playing last year alone.

Fortunately, there has been a gradual but real change in public attitude that will hopefully lead to more positive changes.

I'm often glad that our LOTRO horses can't get hurt. Our races are 100% safe!

EDIT: Here's a good article on horse racing injuries - http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2011/sep/23/claims-five-broken-leg-horse

Last edited by Kiralynn of Rohan on 2014/04/23 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Awarded:

Your stats are correct Kira for the actual race in question. I was referring more to the 3 day event itself. Regardless, many in the UK are disturbed by the deaths when it would be relatively easy to make the course a little safer but still retaining it's essential character. No one likes to see such beautiful animals die.

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Our schedule is all worked out, thank you to everyone who volunteered and helped organize. We have only a couple of outstanding issues left --

* Which band is playing during the Smell the Roses war steed sprint? Has that been finalized, or is the slot open to any band that is interested?

* We need a Bookie for the Bree Cup. It's a simple but very important job. We need to advertise who this is ahead of time.

* We need folks to list what horses they have available to ride in the parade. Harperella usually announces each breed with some info text about it, but he won't be able to plan that out without knowing what we have available.

* We need a few volunteers to launch fireworks after the Bree Cup (at approximately 9pm). We're going to launch in patterns, not just randomly, so I'd like to do a little planning with volunteers before the big day (I'll be too busy during the SRC itself).

* We'll need race course judge volunteers throughout the day. Fortunately, volunteers can contact event hosts on the big day to help with this.

* I need to work out the race course for the Hengstacer Sprint and Bree Cup. If anyone would like to help or suggest checkpoints, I'd love the assistance. The race will start and end at Hengstacer Farm, needs several sharp turns, and at least a couple of jumps to be fun for war steeds.

* Please continue to advertise this event on web sites, blogs, Facebook, Twitter, and other social media outlets. Feel free to send emails to folks who write articles, submit this to MMO sites, and so forth.

Once again, thanks everyone! This is going to be an amazing event!

Hi,

I am waiting on the Rocks to get back to me to see if all their people are available. I will update you when I have news otherwise I will encourage an open mic on the day.
Lilikate

I am hopeful to make a big post of the SRC in the morning on LP. Then announce it also in the podcast Sat night.

I have just posted Where's Tinki so would prefer to wait a day before posting again.
Bittercress
Bittercress

Awarded:

If we don't get the Rocks or enough open mic'ers, I'll keep yellow and rock around to fill if need be.
Lhinnthel
Lhinnthel
High Officer

Awarded:

Abby also mentioned that The Just Abby's are available to fill any spaces needed, so feel free to contact her if no other band is found!

Other games :: GW2 (Fayarra.4827) :: ESO (Fayarra26)
"...the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing:
there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lilikate

A Rock and a Hard Place are confirmed for the 11am slot.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: