Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Character Journals
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Cheggra
Officer

re: Kessalyn

Unused to sleeping on a bed with real bedclothes, Kess turns around in circles, trying to pad out a nest for herself, much as she remembers how her mother did it in their den. "Where did you go, Ma?" she says quietly to herself. "Did you go to that place called Faerie ye done tol' me 'bout?" Sighing to herself, she settles for a little while on the bed, curled up on her side with the covers up to her neck.

Being a fox, she was always half alert, so when she heard voices, however muffled, from the other room, she cocked her ears to listen in. Not being able to make sense of what she heard, but too shy to confront whatever or whomever was talking, she closes her eyes and tries to sleep. Sleep, however won't come that easily, as she unused to sleeping indoors, nevermind on a bed. Doing her best to be quiet, she tugs first the blanket then the pillow off the bed. *thunk* The brush she had left on the bedside table drops noisily to the floor, causing Kess to jump and squeal with alarm. Pulling the blanket and pillow under the bed, she makes a little nest for herself, feeling safer under than on the bed, yet worried that she'll be in trouble for making noise. Not knowing how Aedon will feel about her making noise, she pulls the covers over her head, so only the tip of her nose and one ear is uncovered. If she can't see him, he can't see her...right? "Please don' let me be in trouble, please don' let me be in trouble" she repeats to herself.

Slowly she drifts off to a somewhat peaceful sleep, tired from her eventful day.

Awarded:

re: Kessalyn's journal

His sharp ears picking up the noise from the room the wilder slept in, Nimbus hurried to inspect the disturbance. He quickly spotted the plant on the ground, but that is not what disturbed him the most. Looking around the room all done up as a human girls room, Nimbus chuckled a bit to himself.

"Oh Aedon, for one as wise as you, you can be so clueless about the needs of fox."

Waving his paw, a silent wind whipped around the room. The child was left undisturbed as the habitat around her morphed to resemble a peaceful outside meadow, with plants, and small trees forming a protective glade. The bed, which set within thespace was now a cozy nest, with a light covering of cloth, which resembled grass in touch and feel was draped across where the WIlder now slept. It had the feel of nature about it, while offering the safety Connemara could.

"There you go wee one, that is more like it."

Turning, he excited the room, and the door closed silently behind him.

Cheggra
Officer

Dreaming, Kess's tail twitches, as she sees herself running through a meadow on a sunny day, chasing butterflies, her mother watching from a distance, ever vigilant. Trotting to meet her daughter, Keesha nudges her daughter and smiles. Speaking softly in the language of foxes, she tells her daughter, "I must go for a time, daughter. Do not worry about me. Someday, you shall see me again."

Waking slightly from sleep, but not totally awake, she shifts position, clutching the blanket, then opens her eyes, noticing the change in her environment, but for some reason, not alarmed about it at all, but rather comforted at the now familiar surroundings. Softly she whispers, "I dunno who done this, or how ye did it, but thanks".

Falling into a contented sleep, comforted by her new surroundings, she dreams once more of her mother, who is now trotting ahead of her. Stopping to look over her shoulder before disappearing into the burrow under the oak, Keesha says, "Bye for now, my daughter. You are on the cusp of a great adventure! I will see you again soon, when you are ready."

Not understanding the dream, nevertheless comforted by it, Kess smiles in her sleep. "I'll try ta be good, Ma. Honest." She whispers.

Popping first one, then the other eye open Kessalyn surveys her new surroundings. Turning her head sideways first one way, then the other, she tries to figure out what exactly happened. She remembers going to bed in a very girly pink bedroom, then crawling off and under the bed, but can't seem to fathom how it got changed into this forest like setting, where she felt much more at home.

Once more smelling that same tantalizing scent from the first time she entered the house, she starts off to discover its source. "Ok, Kess. They's gotta be a door here SOMEplace. Spotting a sliver of light, she pads over to it and finds that it is indeed a door. Opening it, she blinks at the change of lighting from a familiar exterior sunrise to interior lights. Following her nose, she makes her way to where Aedon is sitting with his cup of coffee. Tugging on his sleeve, she points to the cup. "What's that?" she askes. Almost as quickly she askes, "Can have some, please?"

Almost as quickly, she adds, "How room get changed? I likes it, I do!" Then again, in rapid-fire succession, "You know what t'day is? It be Yule! Happy Yule, Mister Aedon!"

Awarded:

At this time Kess is at least in a safe place. And with some luck, her training can progress at a good pace. She is alone now in the world. Nemira has informed me that her mother entered into Faerie. Most likely seeking her husband. She was wise to send Kess into Connemara. A young pooka loose in the world, with no guidance can be a dangerous thing indeed.

For many things, I will have to depend on those within my household for now. Nimbus has consented to instruct Kess for now, although in truth, I hope James returns to assist in this. Nemira will watch over her from afar when she is out and about. And when the time is right, I will accompany her on journey through Faerie.

Between musical pursuits, and the occasional hunting trip, I have managed to keep myself busy. And I find that I am more content, more at ease with the world than I have been in some time. The times I spend within the walls of Connemara are soothing, and I have been able to get a lot of reading done without the constant disruptions to my peace of mind.

Nimbus tells me that more Pooka have taken up residence not too far from Connemara. I will soon drop in on them and see if they might be of some assistance with Kess. But for now, I must ready things. The Twelfth Night Ball is tonight, and I am looking forward to the evening.

Cheggra
Officer

Padding towards her mate, Keesha swished her tail happily in greeting. Crevan returned the greeting in kind, and limped over to his wife to nuzzle her. The arrow wound in his leg that drove him to return to Faerie earlier than planned was now almost healed. "Good to see you, wife," he greeted her, "But where is Kessalyn?"

"I left her with the man Aedon. I have watched him for a long time now. He is a kind man, and will take care of her well. He will find her a trainer. I am sure of it. I have seen him with other pooka. He will know what to do." Nuzzling her husband she gently inspects the wound, assuring herself that it was healing well. "I just had to know you were ok."

"If I had not been, I would have sent ye word. Ye know that. Kess is just a wee lass. Now she's alone." Crevan casts a worried glance in the direction of his wife. "How will Kess find us? Does she even know about the portal?"

"I left a note in our burrow. I am confident she, or possibly her mentor when one is found, will find it. It's on my bed. There is a map to our nest here, as well as to the portal. "

"I guess that will have to do, for now. I hope it is found." Satisfied for the moment, Crevan busies himself getting reaquainted with is wife, they have so much to catch up on.

Meanwhile, in Connemara Kessalyn is getting acquainted with her new surroundings, exploring the house, and spending plenty of time outside the house exploring its grounds. One day she returns to her burrow to check inside, to see if perhaps her mother had returned. Tidying up, she finds a note in her mother's bedding and picks it up. Recognizing her mother's script, she takes it to the house. "Mr Aedon, Mr Aedon, I found somethin' in me burrow! Come look!" Chittering excitedly, she bounces around the house in search of him.

Awarded:

Young pooka are very excitable, in fact, they border on combustible. They face each day with a curiosity that burns as hot as the sun, and an exuberance for life that Is unparalleled. Kess, it would seem, lacks some of this fire, and if she is to grown into the fine fae I am sure she can become, then I need to learn the reason behind this.

Due to her age, and the relative suddenness of her separation from her folks, I can only surmise that She was not ready for the circumstances that brought her to enter Connemara. Nemira has told e her folks are alright, and in most cases I would stand by and await their return from the lands of faerie. But I am not sure this is the best thing I can do for the wilder.

It has been long since I walked the paths of faerie, and in truth, I would enjoy a visit with Mom. Perhaps my first lesson for Kess should be, family means everything. Once the winters festival is over, I will take Kess, and together we shall find her parents, and either return with them, or leave Kess in faerie until she is ready to face life in the mortal realm.

Cheggra
Officer

Kess bounds from room to room, waving the letter she found. "Mr Aedon, Mr Aedon! Come look! Come see what I found!" Barely avoiding turning over any furniture in her way, she continues to run excitedly through the house, looking for her new friend. "Ma's Ok! She MUST be! This wasn't there last time I looked! What's it say? What's it say?"

Awarded:

Just as the door closed shut behind the departing Beag, Aedon could hear Kess running though Connemara calling out for him. Leaving his quarters, he headed towards the sound of the excited pooka. She came to a sudden stop and almost avoided colliding with his legs. Looking down to the disheveled wilder he asked softly.
“Kess, what has you in such a rush?”
Reaching up, she handed him the letter she held.
“What does it say, what does it say.”
Opening the small note, he read the words that her mother had left behind for her.
“What does it say?” she asked again while tugging on his pants legs.
“Well, Kess, it says you mother has indeed entered faerie and is safe. And that when you are ready, you will join them there.”
Looking down at the child’s excited face he asked.
“Are you ready to learn what you must before we depart for Faerie? For I will indeed take you there when the time is right, and extend an invitation for your parents to take up residence within the Freehold.”
Aedon watched and waited for her response. This would indeed be an important test of er willingness to learn and grow into who and what she was.

Cheggra
Officer

Bouncing up and down excitedly, Kess squeals, "I's ready! I's ready! Ma's safe! I's ready ter larn now! Please, Mr Aedon, Please! I'll be good, really! Please?" Excitedly, she bounces all around his legs, all hesitance now gone.
"What you teach me? Can I start now? What I gotta learn?"

"How you know when the time be right? That when I larn all there is to larn?"
Continuing to dance around Aedon's legs, Kess sings happily, "Ma is safe, Pa is safe, I be larnin' to join' 'em! When it's time, you will know, Aedon'll take me ter join 'em!"

Awarded:

One of the things a young pooka must learn to control first is their temper. A pooka can go from calm to fiery explosion in less than 10 seconds if they do not learn the proper controls. The easiest method to employ is to have you concentrate on shifting from your animal form to your human seeming again and again. Does that make sense to you Kess?

Looking down to where the young pooka stood, wide eyed, Aedon waited for a response. Sitting on the small table behind him, Nimbus could not conceal his amusement at the situation.

Aedon; he said at last.
The child must be given an example so that she better understands. Allow me please.

Hopping from the table, Nimbus sauntered over to Kess, sat down, and spoke.

Watch this Kess, and then see if you can do the same. It will take a bit of concentration, but all the smart wilders can do this with ease.

With that, the form of the small cat on the rug shifted rapidly, and Kess found herself looking up at a tall, lean humanish form with a wide grin.

Now, you try.

Smiling a bit, Aedon backed out of the room slowly, leaving pupil and teacher together.

Cheggra
Officer

Looking up at Aedon first, Kess turns her head from side to side, trying to make sense of his instructions. Change forms? What did he mean? She knew well about fiery tempers, that much she understood, but changing form? She couldn't make sense of what he meant.

Once Nimbus climbed down from his perch on the table, Kess turned her attention to him. She somehow felt a connection to him. Listening to his explanation, she watched wide-eyed as he changed form. "I can do THAT?" she exclaimed in wonder. Feeling she must be able to if this older wilder and Aedon said she could, she closed her eyes and concentrated hard. "Change forms, Kess. C'mon Kess, change forms! You can do this", she told herself aloud. Much to her surprised, her form started to shimmer and her form changed into that of a young human teenage girl, lithe of build, with a shock of orange red curls and wide green eyes, which for the moment, were closed. "Did I do it?" She whispers, half afraid to open her eyes for fear of disappointment if she failed. Slowly opening first one eye, then the other, she looks down at herself and blushes, moving quickly behind a chair for modesty's sake. "Guess I need to remember to at least put a robe close to where I change," she says sheepishly. "This feels strange. Never been in this form before. You got mirror, Mr Nimbus? I never seen meself like this afore."

Awarded:

Nimbus watched the young pooka amused. She had, in her first attempt managed to shift forms. Unfortunately, he had neglected to assure she was properly attired. Walking to a small chest in the corner of the room, Nimbus searched the contents until he found just the right thing. Walking over to where Kess was hiding behind the chair, and handed her the small, somewhat colorful outfit saying:

I am sorry Kess, I forgot that your clothing might be of a mundane nature. Slip these on, they are made of an enchanted fae cloth which will shift with your form. In your human seeming, they will appear as normal human clothing. But when you shift, they will shift with you, adjusting their appearance to that of a soft fur coat. Once you have changed, please continue your lesson in shifting for another hour. I will be back to check on you later.

Cheggra
Officer

Kess gratefully takes the clothes from Nimbus and quickly puts them on. "Thanks Nimbus. See ya in 'bout an hour or so I guess."
After Nimbus is out of sight, Kess looks down at her form, turning first this way and that in front of the mirror. Nodding to herself, she says, "I guess these clothes will do. I like colorful things." Closing her eyes to cut down on distractions, she concentrates and changes back to her wildling form. Standing in front of the mirror again, she inspects how the clothes have now adapted. Wondering how they will feel when she's active, she races around the room a little before coming to a halt once more.

Nodding to herself, she says, "They'll do just fine. I thinks I likes 'em! OH! I's supposed ter be changin' forms. " Concentrating once more, this time with a little less face scrunching, she changes back to her seeming form. Gradually gaining confidence, she changes back and forth between forms, finding it easier with each shift. Pausing in seeming form, she stares at her reflection in the mirror. "Mebbe Nimbus can teach me what to do with this hair? Or is it 'sposed to be this unruly?" She runs her fingers through her tangled mess of bright orange-red curls, trying to create some sort of order out of the tangles. "well, I'd best get back to practicin. I wanna make Nimbus proud o' me."

Gradually the shifting no longer *requires* her to close her eyes, but she finds that she still likes doing so, as she finds the form changing a bit unnerving to watch. Now back in her wilder form, she bounces around the room, the practice in changing seeming to have caused a surge of playful energy. Changing now back to her seeming form, she decides maybe bouncing around the room in her seeming form may not be the best idea, so she twirls around, dancing in front of the mirror, intrigued by this new form.

Awarded:

(A Page form Aedon's journal.)

Nimbus tells me the lessons for Kess are going well. They was a minor hiccup at the beginning that he has yet to tell me about, but the thought brings him to laughter. Nothing odder than the site of a cat snickering to himself. I have allowed them their privacy assuming that fewer eyes on the lass will lessen the stress.

As for me, I am doing very well. It is never easy to end a relationship, but I know in my heart it was the right thing to do. Greyy is already keeping company with a nice young man named Marco, and I am hoping that her happiness grows. There will always be a sadness on me for sure. But if the years of my life has taught me anything it is to never get too attached to others. My work keeps me busy, and helping Kess get back to her parents gives me new purpose in life. The music in Bree and the company of those who come to the city to dance lightens my spirits, along with the company of my dear friends and those I have come to call family.

I find myself looking forward to the trip to faerie. I have been away for far too long now, and in truth, I miss the company of Mom and her many lessons. I am sure she will have some new nurture awaiting me on my arrival. I have sent Hairy in to have a look around, and he did find Kess’s parents. Her father has almost recovered, and her mom is happily tending to their home and looking towards the arrival of their daughter. The portal in their burrow outside Connemara enters faerie in a spot not too far from where they have set up their home.

The Wilder is clearly anxious for the journey, and if all goes well, I fully expect to guide her their next week. For now, though, I will keep this news secret. The pooka bounces around enough as it is. I am having new clothing made for her in what I believe to be her favorite color. A lass needs to look her best when she sets out on such a journey.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Character Journals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: