Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Character Journals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunnidi

re: Tinytoes Journal

"I don't even know why she's in that BBB club singing thing. You know they have a reputation!" Kris was disgruntled. She and Sunni had gotten into an argument that day, and she was not feeling the kindest toward her older sister.

"A reputation?" Rosielle stared at Kris.

"Yeah like they're always in trouble for shenanigans. Like seriously! I should be in their band, not miss goodygoody!"

"Except you sing like a scalded cat, have no rhythm and don't play any musical instruments..." Rosi didn't quite roll her eyes at Kris, but it was implied.

"OH yeah I can!" Kris puffed herself up and struck what she thought of as a dramatic pose! "I even made a song!"

"Look at me I'm Sunnidi
I just joined the BBB
Won't go to bed till I'm happily fed,
I can't! I'm hobbity!

Watch it! Hey there, Captain Greyy,
I was not brought up that way
Be a good girl,
And don't get into the gruel
Or the rum of Captain Greyy!

I don't drink (much)
Or swear (nope)
I don't tease my hair (it's curly!)
I get ill from a puff of the weed!(cough cough cough!)
Keep your muddy paws off my silky drawers
Darn bears and their drinking of mead!

As for you Kris and Rosi too
I know what you want to do.
You got your pie crust,
But I've got to go dust
That means no pie for you!

Krissi, Krissi, let me be
Keep that Rawrzite far from me!
Just keep your cool, look you're starting to drool!
Grey's coming now you have to flee!"

Kris finished her song, sung badly, with a flourish. "See, I can make songs too!" She turned sharply as she heard a noise coming from the doorway, but didn't see anything. "Gwen! Don't get into stuff, you better notta brought a snek into the place!" She sang out to her cat, Gwenkitty, assuming it was him that she'd heard.

However, when she heard the door slam shut, she realised it was not Gwenkitty but Sunni, who'd clearly heard the song she'd sung.

"Some people are so touchy..."

Sunni was cut to the quick, and she fled their apartment in tears. How could Kris be so mean! It had just been a small argument about tidying up her part of their room, which was always in a mess. She rarely helped out with the cleaning, and since Rosi provided the meat for them, it was mostly up to Sunni and Kris to clean and tidy, which meant it was mostly up to Sunni, and she had finally lost her cool and scolded Ankriston for not helping out enough. It hadn't been a big fight, but the fact that Kris had written a whole song about her hurt a lot.

She remembered overhearing another of Greyy's pirate using the words prim and proper to describe Sunnidi and as she walked out of town, she was thankful for the rain which was washing her tears away, or at least making them less noticeable. Finding a bit of shelter, in a small alcove, she looked out over the dreary day and sighed. Kris wasn't the only one who could make songs.

"Look at me, there has to be
more to life than BBB.
Wholesome and sweet
Isn't what people want to meet.
Prim and proper Sunnidi.

Sunni, you must be something new.
Maybe you should try that really bad brew!
Do more things on the fly,
Take a deep breath and cry,
Goodbye to Sunnidi!

"I can do this!" She nodded to herself as she wandered aimlessly, trying to think of a good way to reinvent and rid herself of her "goodygoody" reputation. Omaa had told her to live a little, but it wasn't that easy. She'd tried so hard to look after the girls after they lost their parents. She'd tried to be the mother that they missed so badly. And Auntie Breeosh had been strict, so she'd tried to make life easier on everyone by doing what she was told and tried hard not to get in trouble.

But she was grown now. They all were. Omaa was right, she needed to let go and find her own path, her own niche. She loved music, but Kris was right, she didn't really "fit" with the BBB. Not yet. She could be different. She could loosen up. She could be a degenerate too!

It had grown dark, rainy, windy, but Sunni barely noticed, lost in her thoughts. Right up until she walked into a tree. Or so she thought. She'd run into a tall dark shape. Letting out a little shriek, Sunni looked up to see what or who she'd walked into...

Letting out a squeak of surprise, Sunni drew back and began to reach for her sword, unsure if she'd walked into a tree or a Tallfolk. She lifted a hand to her eyes, to try and shelter them from the rain, and uttered a soft sigh of relief.

"Boomer? Is that you?" She drew her other hand back from her sword. If it was Boomhilda, then she was a friend, and Sunni was vaguely embarrassed by her nervousness. She'd met Boomhilda at the Knight's Rest and knew that she was a friend of Captain Grey, and a member of her crew or something. At any rate she was not a threat to the distraught hobbit.

Sunni put a smile on her lips. In truth she was happy to see the woman; it took her mind off her own troubles to talk to someone who was not family.

By the time Sunni made it home she was soaked to the bone, and still in a funk. The talk with Boomer had done little to ease her mood and her thoughts about who she was had not changed, and she still had no idea how to overcome her "goodygoody" image. Even playing in the BBB band hadn't helped. If anything people had questioned that she even belonged there.

Their small place in Bree was warm and dry at least, Rosi had a fire still going though the hobbit had gone to bed hours ago, and Sunni sat in front of the fire, thinking and drowsing.

Morning found her still in the chair, but she was tucked into a warm woolen blanket, probably by Rosi. There was some bread and cheese and most important, coffee on the table in the kitchen nook. Almost as soon as Sunni sat down, there was a polite knock on the door. Grumbling, Sunni got up to answer, and her face lit up when she saw Martuuk!

"Martuuk!" She cried and flung her arms around her friend. "Please come in, I was just about to have breakfast, will you join me?"

A delighted grin creased the Dwarf's face and he nodded. The Tinytoes sisters always ate well. Breeosh was a very good cook and Sunni had learned the art very well too.

Sunni cooked up some bacon, eggs and tomatoes with cabbage to go with the bread and cheese, now that she had a guest she needed a better meal for them. Once she was done cooking, she sat at the table, handed Martuuk his full plate and said, "So what do I owe the pleasure of your company my friend?"

Martuuk took a forkful of eggs and bread and chewed thoughtfully for a moment before speaking. "Some acquaintances of mine have a wolf problem and have commissioned me the task of driving them off. And they believe the wolf pack leader is being controlled by an orc or goblin or some fell creature."

"Goblin? Say no more. Let me get my things and we can be off."

Martuuk chuckled and nodded; He knew how Sunni felt about Goblins!

She returned before he'd even finished his plate, apparently packing light. "I'm ready to go whenever you are, don't rush your breakfast though! Its an important meal. Oh that reminds me, I better take some travelling food and leave a note for Rosi." She did not say Kris.. they still hadn't made up from their fight. She did the dishes quickly and left the place tidy, as she always did, and they were ready to leave.

As they walked, Martuuk noticed that Sunni wasn't her normal bouncy self.

"Hey Sunshine, you ok? You seem a bit down." He asked his friend.

"I'm ok.. I guess, I just.. " She sighed. "Martuuk, am I too, prissy? Prim, Proper? Something? Kris made fun of me the other day, in fact, she was quite mean about it!"

"You are a perfect Sunni, you are sweet and kind and good and there's nothing wrong with that. Don't go changing to try and please others Sunni, they can just go pound rocks!"

A chuckle escaped her lips at his exclamation and she gave him a big hug. "You really are the best, you know that?"

Martuuk inhaled as if to say something then he turned his head and put a finger up.

Sunni froze and looked over to where his head turned, and she very quietly and slowly drew her club.

They were surrounded. The woods had gone silent, not a bird or insect could be heard, and it set Sunni's hair tickling the back of her neck. Looking toward the darkness of the forest, she could see pinpricks of golden eyes watching them. All around, and getting closer as the wolves inched ever closer to the duo.

Martuuk had his rune rocks in hand and they began to glow red. Sunni switched to her lute, and began strumming a discordant tune, designed to set the wolves on edge. Suddenly a deep, mournful howl broke the silence and then one after the other they all chimed in. The sound was unearthly, beautiful, sad and frightening. And then they charged!

Sunnidi sighed and readied herself. She did not want to hurt the wolves, she liked animals, but these creatures were intent on destroying them, so she had no choice. Martuuk, seeing how many wolves were charging them, did not hesitate unlike his softhearted companion, but invoked one of his most potent spell, his volcanic rune. His lava rock grew and began to glow red, and the air became thick with heat, directed at the head of the charging pack. They moved as one, in eerie sync, and Sunni knew in her heart that they were in fact being controlled.

Anger fueled her song, and soon the wolf pack was no more. But the fight was not over, for emerging from the smoke from the lava rune, was a large black wolf with red eyes walking side by side with an even bigger goblin.

Sunni grimaced and her pretty face turned with revulsion and anger. Though the hobbit was normally sweet and kind, she hated goblins with a passion. They had after all killed her parents when she was a wee bobbit. With a cry of rage, Sunni charged the wolf and the goblin, sword raised, letting her anger fuel her song!

"Kill them my pet!" The goblin shrieked and the wolf met Sunni's charge with fang and claw, knocking her off her path! It might have been the end of the hobbit, for the wolf stood over her, it's slavering jaws ready to rip out her throat, maddened by her songs, but Martuuk was there, calling forth lightning! Sunni rolled quickly away as the pack leader was lifted off the ground by the lightning, and she ran after the goblin who was already running away from the duo.

A quick glance showed her that Martuuk was fine with the wolf, they were facing off against each other, but Sunni was not worried about her friend. She knew him well enough to know that he would be just fine, but this goblin had to die. He wore beads, feathers and bones that marked him as a shaman, and he had to die.

The goblin shaman found his last remnants of bravery and turned to Sunni, brandishing his spear, and tried to stab her with it, but Sunni, ever light on her feet, dodged him easily and swung her sword. They danced like this for what seemed forever, though it was only a few minutes, before the shaman managed to hit the dodging minstrel. Sunni let out a few choice words that would make even Kris blush and let her anger and pain fuel her and she let out a piercing cry. A curious warmth burned in her chest and the goblin staggered, shaking its head, but Sunni didn't give him time to recover. Charging with her sword, she stabbed the creature deep and it slumped over.

Hearing stomping in the woods, Sunni turned, suddenly exhausted. Her arm throbbed and was bleeding freely, but the shaman was dead at her feet. Thankfully it was Martuuk emerging from the woods to find his friend. He grinned a thankful grin, seeing Sunni alive and mostly well

"You ok Sunshine?" Martuuk asked in his gruff voice. "Lets get that arm looked at."

"It will be fine, I've got some ointment in my pack and some bandages too. So...." She started and quickly silenced as she heard a rustling in the trees where Martuuk had just emerged from.

The two readied their weapons, prepared to fight again when, from the trees a small black wolf pup crawled out. He was whining and did not attack them, but instead rolled immediately on his belly in a submissive gesture.

"Martuuk! Its a baby!" Sunni cried immediately running over to the pup.

"Careful! it might still be under the goblins's spell!" Martuuk was worried. Sunni was already injured and he didn't want to see the pup attack his friend.

"I don't think so, it's hungry and lost and scared and just lost his pack!" Sunni had already fished out some jerky from her pack to feed the little guy. When he looked up at her, his eyes were a dark blue, almost violet, like the sky just after sunset. The pup for his part, had already eaten the piece of jerky and was letting Sunny stroke his thick dark fur. "Martuuk, we can't leave him, he's an orphan like me. And he just lost his whole family. He can live with us." She declared. "And I shall name him Nighteyes."

Awarded:

Boomer rode through the forest on her regular meandering patrol. She honestly didnt have a specific path or goal, mostly she rode for the joy of it. Hearing the low somber howl of a wolf she paused. The howl was joined by more voices, not the normal "good night" bay that was normal for the area. This was a battle cry. Spurring her steed faster she raced toward the sound.

By the time she arrived most of the fight was done. The forest had become a blood and gruesome battle field. In the midst of all the bodies were two she was familiar. Martuuk and the sweet li'l Hobbit Sunni. It was clear they were well and truly in command of the situation. Boomer stood back watching, she was good at watching.

As Martuuk and Sunni picked through the carnage making sure all were dispatched Boomer made some rather startling observations. Sunni's sweet curls and sparkling smile had turned to a fearsome and terrible blood frenzy. Her lute dripped with the blood of goblins and her fingers still clutch the neck willing the instrument to silence. There were streaks of blood and sweat clinging to her face and hair giving her the look every bit a barbarian.

Emerging from a thick fog came Martuuk and Sunni victorious in their hard won fight. Gone was the crisp clean garments that are their typical attire. The innocent Sunni is, in fact, a warrior of high regard. And Martuuk stood tall as a Dwarf proud of his heritage. They had been tested by fire and blood, emerging strong and mighty because of their friendship.

Boomer backed into the shadows continuing to watch and gaining a new respect for the Hobbit and Dwarf companions. They were, indeed, a force to be reckoned. The Capt'n would certainly hear of this.
Sunnidi

It started to rain as soon as Sunnidi arrived in Frogmorton. Of course it did. She could feel her curls frizzing around her face and wiped at them in annoyance. The ride had been long but uneventful, and she had taken Nighteyes with her. The wolf puppy seemed to enjoy the outing, harassing Soliloquy, chasing rabbits and working off some puppy energy, for which, Sunni was grateful. Of course she had stopped to visit Auntie Bree in Buckland, and was now laden down with treats for Omaa, and the girls.

Omaa. Sunni's lips tightened in annoyance. She had been mortified to discover that Omaa had visited the Coffee shop Osdrid and Rodling owned, to check out Rodling and see if she approved of the hobbit. This was not the first time that Sunni's grandmother had interfered in her relationships and so far she had scared off a few potential suitors, but it would be the last!

Sunni gently guided her horse to Omaa's home in Frogmorton, the pony deftly skirting the soft squishy spots that the area was famous for. That and the frogs of course. Omaa was at the door, looking unusually somber.

"I knew you was coming today. The leaves told me so!" Omaa reached out to hug Sunni, and the girl tried to hold onto her indignation, but it was hard when Omaa's skinny arms went around her. She melted and hugged her grandmother back.

Sunni's twin, Rosie was... not scared of Omaa, Rosie wasn't scared of anything, but she was wary of Omaa, believing her to be a witch. Of course Omaa thought that was hilarious so she played it up, but Sunni knew that her grandmother did have some gifts that might be considered witchy. One such gift was reading the tea leaves.

"Well if you knew I was coming, then you know why I'm here as well?" Sunni asked. They moved inside.

"Course I do!" Oma nodded, and to Sunni's satisfaction, she actually looked nervous, that is, until she saw Nighteyes. "Is that a wolf? Sunni you have a wolf?"

"Long story, but yes, Tuck and I rescued him, and now he's mine and I'm training him to be a good puppy!"

"Tea?" Omaa asked. "You must be parched and hungry!"

Sunni smiled and nodded. She sad in one of Omaa's comfy chairs and waited, knowing her grandmother would take her time getting tea and cakes ready for them. As hungry as Sunni was, it had been a couple of hours since she'd eaten after all, she also knew Omaa was stalling.

Once they were all settled, Sunni took a bite of cake and a swallow of tea, and, looking at Omaa firmly, said, "Gammer, I heard you visited Rodling, and you need to stop doing that!"

"I didn't do nuthin wrong!" Omaa protested. "It's my job as Gammer Tinytoes to make sure my girls are well taken care of! What if he were a cad or.. worse!

"Omaa! You've scared off how many suitors of mine? Four? Five? I've lost count frankly!"

"Well that just tells me they wasn't worth yer time ifnn they's scared of an old lady!" Omaa shot back.

"You cannot go around intimidating people on my behalf!" Sunni cried.

"Why not!?"

"OOh you are just impossible!" Sunnidi could feel her temper rising, her face was hot, and she realised that she was now standing. Suddenly an anxious whine snapped her out of her anger. Night eyes was cringing between them, his tail tucked between his legs. Heat flooded her face again, this time in shame. She'd scared her baby boy!

"Oh Nighteyes, I'm sorry, it's ok. We're not really mad, I promise. Come here sweetums." The pup tilted his head at his mistress, and slowly inched forward. Sunni scritched his ears for a few moments and then looked back up at her gammer. She smiled, but her voice was firm.

"Gammer, I love you, you know that, but I'm an adult, not a bobbit anymore and I need to make my own choices and my own mistakes. And you need to let me do that!" She moved to hug Omaa, and almost tripped over Nighteyes who was dancing at her feet, happy that the mood had shifted.

"I know ya do, and I do too. You sisters are all alone in the world, you only got me and Bree, and each other. And I want to see you happy and maybe..." She grinned a sly grin at Sunni..." Maybe make me a great gammer!"

"Omaa!" Sunni shrieked while Nighteyes howled.

Sunni arrived at the Knight's Rest early. She was always early, to make sure the place was spotless and the fires were lit before opening. Of course, the place was already perfectly clean since she and Martuuk always stayed after they closed, to make sure it was cleaned from their guests. But that's who Sunni was and she couldn't change that even if she wanted to. Auntie Bree had instilled in the hobbit the need for cleanliness, so she made sure her environments were always spotless.

Arriving at the beautiful inn, Sunni frowned. She was pretty sure that there hadn't been a dagger stuck in the wooden door when they'd left last time. She knew she would have noticed that. Pulling the dagger free, the hobbit inspected the sharp weapon. It was plain, no markings that she could see. Silver blade, black handle, if anything, it looked nondescript. Maybe Kris was using the door for target practice? If that were the case, she would have to ask her never to do that to Aedon's place again! She took the dagger inside and placed it carefully on the back of the bar to ask Martuuk when he arrived.

The bar filled up quickly, and Sunni forgot the mysterious dagger for a bit, chatting with guests, taking drink and food orders. Captain Greyy came by for a visit, but Sunni was busy with others and did not mention it, not even thinking about it till well after Greyy had left for the night. When Ingfar came in, Sunni hadn't met him yet but he was a jovial fellow, if a bit shady. He was going to open a pawn shop in the same neighbourhood as the Coffee shop, and let it slip that some of the products might have been precviously "acquired" without a receipt. Then it came about that Martuuk had met Ingfar at the pirate party with Greyy and Kris, which reminded Sunni of the mysterious dagger. She showed it to Tuck and Ingfar and everyone else at the bar, not that she thought any of them had stuck it in the door, but that maybe they might have known something about it, but no one did.

Nothing odd happened that night, no sketchy strangers appeared, it was just a normal evening at the Knight's Rest, well except for the poor heartbroken elf who showed up. Sunni felt so badly for him. He was so sad, she fed him honey cake and tried to cheer him up as best she could. By close, Sunni's thoughts were filled with sorrow for the poor Ollosfin, that she had completely forgotten about the dagger.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: