Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Character Journals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunnidi

re: Tinytoes Journal

Rosielle Tinytoes:

I hate being stuck indoors, and especially in a crowded bar. It smelled of ale, sweaty hobbits and faintly of piss. But Sunni was working so here I am. The Perch was busy I think because word got around that Sunni would be singing and playing tonight. My sister was blessed with the voice of a nightingale, sweet and clear. I glanced at Kris who was fiddling with the apron on her dress, she always had a hard time sitting still, and Sunni was bustling, serving drinks between sets. As I watched my sister, I thought about how different we are. Twins, we look alike, though we wear our hair different, and Sunni is so sweet and cheerful, always bringing a smile to those she interacts with. Me, I'm more reserved, quiet, I like to watch before I interact with people. Maybe it stems from when our parents were killed. Sunni was so heart-broken, and Ankriston was so young, that I had to be the grownup and provide for us all before we went to live with Mama Breeosh.

I smiled, watching Sunni work the crowd. She had a smile that would light up the whole room and people just couldn't help but smile back at her. As she made her way to the tiny stage, with her lute, I looked around the crowded bar. Most faces were familiar, hobbits I'd grown up with, known all my life. But there was one person I didn't know, a human tucked in the corner! That was a rare sight! Curious, I watched this man, he was old, at least his hair was grey and his face lined. From where I sat he seemed to be watching everyone, but when Sunni began to sing, his attention shifted to her.

I get it. She had that effect. Even the noisy room quieted somewhat as she began to sing, Kris too, who had been chattering non stop. Sunni launched into a bawdy song with a good beat and Hobbits danced, laughing and singing along with her and it brought a grin to my lips. I don't dance, but Kris got up, unable to resist the music any longer. We Tinytoes are blessed with a light step. People think that maybe our feet are abnormally small, ewww! But in fact, the name came about because our ancestor, Annie Kristinia was so quiet and light on her feet that it was assumed she had very small feet. It makes Sunnidi a light dancer, it enables me to tromp through the woods quietly, and it makes Kris extra sneaky, not that she needs it!

Sunni finished her set and came back with ale for us all. Her face was flushed and she was grinning. "I think that went well tonight!"

"Of course it did, you're fantastic!" I always liked to encourage Sunni. For all her talents, she was a bit shy, and didn't realize how gifted she was. Smiling I looked around the room and stiffened suddenly when I noticed the Man approaching our table. He was riveted on Sunnidi and my hand automatically slid down to my dagger that I always carry, just in case.

"May I sit?" The man said in a gravelly voice. He smiled and his eyes looked kind, but tired.

Sunni offered the man a warm smile, and nodded. He sat carefully and nodded his thanks, taking us all in with his gaze. "Thank you, I quite enjoyed your songs, miss Sunnidi, and I couldn't help but notice the effect you have on people. I think you have a talent, a gift, it's a bit raw, and unformed, but it's there. Have you ever considered training as a minstrel?"

I narrowed my eyes, studying the Man. What was his angle? What did he want from my sister? I inhaled to speak but Sunni shot me a look and spoke first.

"Oh that's very kind sir, but I'm really just a little hobbit lass who likes to make people smile." She shrugged with a self effacing grin. "Really we've barely even been out of the Shire. I mean, we live in..."

"Sunni!" I interjected quickly. This Man did not need to know we lived in Buckland. Sunnidi was always too quick and trusting. "Isn't it time for another set?" I asked, trying to cover my interruption.

Sunni looked confused, but the Man nodded to me, with a smile, as if to say he knew exactly what I'd done, and why.

"I mean no harm to you or your family, but dark times are brewing and we may all need a light in the dark. The World may have need of laughter and song, and maybe even a strong bow or dagger. I would simply suggest that you seek out Mr. Barliman Butterbur at the Prancing Pony and his minstrel there, Burt Ninetails..."

"YES!!" Ankriston exclaimed. "Let's go on an adventure! Come on Sunni, Rosi! It will be fun! I've always wanted to go to Bree, and you know Mama Breeosh will totally support us! Pleeeeeeeeese!!"

I gritted my teeth and stifled urges to both facepalm and strangle Kris. Neither of my sisters ever thought of being careful around strangers. And now this stranger knew our Aunts name. I watched his face, and didn't see any malice in his eyes, but one could never tell.

"I mean, if you think I could do it, I'd love to learn more music." Sunni smiled a soft and shy smile. She looked over at me, with shining eyes.

"Of course you can do it, Sunni, I've always said you have talent! But she's not going alone. Looks like the Tinytoes sisters are going to Bree."

re: Journal excerpt Sunnidi

I knew as soon as I said it that it was a mistake. I really hadn't meant to, but I'm not very good at hiding things. It is my nature to be open and upfront. But certain things should never be said in front of my little sister, Ankriston and I had forgotten. As soon as the words left my lips I knew it would be trouble.

We, that is, my sisters and I had moved to Bree with our Aunt Breeosh's blessing. An oddity amongst our kind, Auntie Breeosh, or Mama Bree as she was known, had had many an adventure in her youth and it was rumoured that she had even joined the Bounders many years ago before leaving the Shire. No one really knew her stories, but there were always whispers. Hobbits loved to gossip. Maybe that's why she left the Shire to move to Buckland. She never really talked about her past and we didn't care. She was there for us when our parents were killed by Goblins, taking us in, and guiding us as best she could. A bluff friendly woman, she did her best, bless her! I'm sure we were a handful, especially Ankriston named after one of our ancestors, Annie Kristinia. She was proud of me, and we made our way to Bree with a cartload full of provisions.

I'll admit, I was terrified. Bree was so big, full of people who were not Hobbits. Men, Dwarves and the beautiful and mysterious Elves all congregated in this big city. I was relieved when we had arrived at the Prancing Pony that Mr. Butterbur had in fact been expecting us. He's very sweet, if a little forgetful, but kind in an absent minded way. I met the minstrel there and we've been working on my technique and songs. Rosielle is happier than I expected, she has found that outside of Bree are lots of forests, and so many boars. We never go hungry thanks to Rosie. I was worried that my twin would hate living in the city but she seems to have adjusted. It's Kris I'm most worried about. She seems happy, but I'm not sure what she does, exactly with her time. Which brings me to my current dilemma.

One thing I love most about living in Bree is that many nights there are bands playing outside the Pony. So many different types of music, so much to learn! It's daunting, but fun and exciting and they seem to have accepted me. Which brings me to the issue...

Rosi, Kris and I were having a drink in the Pony, and I was telling them about a recent development. During one of these events, me and my new friend Martuuk the Dwarf were approached by a fine looking Man about joining his company....

"So there is a big concert just outside of Thorins hall that we should all go to, it's called Winterfest, and there will be music, food, drink and dancing! It is going to be fun. And then you guys can meet the Lonely Mountain Band! They're a really nice bunch! Mr. Aedon and Lady Greyy will be there. They're married and she's an elf! And so pretty and nice even though it's rumoured that she's a pirate with a secret stash of rum!"

Three things happened simultaneously. I winced and wish I had kept my mouth shut. Rosie shot me a warning look though it was too late, and Kris squeaked... "Pirate?"

I tried to recover and talked quickly about the music and that it was only a rumor that I'd heard and probably not true at all and oh look at that marvelous meat pie over there, but the damage was done. Kris's eyes shone with excitement and she started bouncing in her seat. Ankriston loved pirates. When she was little and we were recovering from the loss of our parents, Rosie and I would tell stories to keep her occupied, silly stories of daring do and adventure and pirates of whom we knew nothing, but let our imaginations wander. When she was older, she would travel to the Great Smials library to read stories for herself, but she'd never outgrown her fascination with anything related to Pirates.

I was vaguely worried, but Kris suddenly became distracted by food, so I let it slide. Nothing bad could come of it, right?

re: Kris's journal- What's a Werewarg??

Kris smiled albeit weakly at Salvia. She was still feeling a bit peaky but her stomach had more or less settled and she didn't think she was in danger of needing to dash to the bushes again any time soon.

"I'd like you to stay with me." Her smile was warmer this time and her green eyes were starting to twinkle again. "This is the neatest place.. I just... I just love pirates and I wanted to see if I could find the Supersekrit stash.. and I did!" She said proudly puffing up a bit. This werewarg thing was worrisome but Kris was determined that it was all a grand adventure! She didn't feel like biting anyone... yet, and if anything she wasn't even hungry. Not very hobbit like at all!

"But I gotta say I don't think I'll be drinking rum any time soon, or this rawrstuff! It made me feel like I'd drunk a whole pint of Mama Bree's Cider! And.. Um... Will I grow hair on places not my feet? OH no will I get a tail? I mean a tail could be neat but I don't think I'll be able to hide it from Sunni and Rosie.. Oh we can't tell them! They'll be so mad! K? Can we keep this a Supersekrit?"

Kris looked at her new friend anxiously, and made a grab for her hands to impart her seriousness. "I won't start sniffing butts will i? Like Gammer Oma's dog Fred?"

Meanwhile, back at the Pony, Sunni and Rosi were worried about their sister.

"It's not like her to not be home for a meal." Sunni frowned at Rosi. "I mean, I know that Kris goes out on adventures, and we really don't know what she does with her time...." She sighed.

"She's not found herself yet, give her time, Sunni, she's young still and hasn't found her path yet. She will." Rosi shoved a mouthful of the hearty meat stew in her mouth, and closed her eyes in appreciation of the warm delicious meal. She tore a piece of bread, and buttering it generously, continued her thoughts about their sister. "She has lots of imagination and an adventurous spirit. Not to mention she always lands on her feet. I'm sure she's fine." Rosielle quickly dipped her head to her bowl so Sunni couldn't see the worry in her own eyes. Kris never missed a meal with her sisters.

Sunni sighed and stared at Rosi. "Maybe we should look for her. Or, I dunno, maybe ask Omaa?"

Rosi blanched. "Uh no! We don't need to do that! I'll go out right after supper and start looking!"

Despite her concern, Sunni burst out laughing. "You're still afraid of Omaa aren't you! She's not a witch you know! That's just what the grownups told us to keep us in line! She's just a sweet old lady and our grandmother to boot! It's not her fault she's old and ... odd? I think she's delightful.

"She never threatened to turn you into a toad..." Rosi grumbled.

"Well she does live in Frogmorton. It makes sense! Seriously though, if you want to start searching for Kris, I'll go talk to Omaa. You don't have to come." Sunni smirked. "And you are the best tracker I know! I'm sure we'll find her, or she'll come sauntering in demanding food."

Both the girls looked over at the Prancing Pony door, but Kris did not arrive.

re: Tinytoes tales

It was just after breakfast when Sunni set out for the Shire. The sun was just cresting the horizon and it looked like it was going to be a beautiful day. She took Artaxa with her, her white mare and they set out from Bree. Almost at Adso's, Sunni started feeling hungry again; stopping, she grabbed an apple out of pack to munch on, and one for Artaxa. She knew the horse loved apples and so did Sunni! When she looked up to give the horse her snack, she let out a squeak of surprise!

Standing in front of her was a man holding a short sword. He was scruffy looking with a light beard and haunted eyes. "Hey now! Don't want no trouble. Just gimme what's in your pack and you can consider it the fare for passing through Sharkey's land. Oh and that lute on yer back, it looks old and valuable!"

She was being robbed! With trembling hands, Sunni reached for her pack. Clasping it in front of her, she stared at the robber. He looked thin and well, hungry and despite her fear, her heart went out to him. "I'll share my food with you, but I don't have any gold on me. We don't have much, and you can't have my lute, sorry but it was my mama's and I can't give it to you. But you're welcome to this bread and some cheese! And I have plenty of apples!"

The robber blinked in surprise. Was this tiny blonde hobbit bargaining with him? She dared? He brandished his sword and took a hold of Artaxa's reigns.

"Hey!" Sunni shouted. "Leave my horse alone!" She cried and pulled her sword. Jumping off her horse, she glared at the man. "I tried to be nice! I would have given you half my food, which frankly you need more than gold. You can't eat gold! Now leave me alone!" She brandished her sword at him. "Shame on you for trying to take from a poor hobbit!" Realizing she still held an apple, she threw it as hard as she could at the man, and hit him squarely in the stomach.

The would be robber grunted, the apple hadn't hurt much, but he was surprised that a little hobbit lass would be so feisty! Keeping a careful eye on her, he bent down to pick up the apple and after taking a bite. He decided she wasn't worth the time to fight for a bag of food and an old lute. "Fine! I'll let you go this time!" And he sauntered back into the woods.

Sunni could barely get back on Artaxa, she was shaking so hard, but she managed. Bandits! The roads were becoming more and more dangerous. The rest of the trip to Buckland was thankfully without incident, and she visited with her Aunt Breeosh for a spell, having a lovely dinner with her. She decided to spend the night, as after her adventure with the bandit she did not want to travel by herself at night.

The next morning was soft, and grey and looked like rain would be coming. Sunni donned her cloak with the hood, just in case and set out for Frogmorton. Aunti Bree had filled her pack with more goodies, almost more than she could carry and she ate on the way so she could get to her grandmother's by the end of the day.

Munching on a fresh honeycake, Sunni made good time in spite of the weather which had indeed turned to rain, and finally she spotted Omaa's home.

Careful not to step on any frogs, Sunny approached the door, which opened before she could knock.

"Yer late!" Omaa cried as she flung open the door!

"Omaa!" Sunni threw herself at her grandmother, wrapping her arms around the older Hobbit. "Also I'm not late at all!" She giggled. "Were you expecting me?"
Omaa's wrinkles creased in a wide grin as she hugged Sunni. "I knew you were coming. The leaves never lie. But what brings you to Frogmorton?" Omaa patted Sunni's arm as she ushered her into the living room. "Now before you answer, let me look atcha. Did you bring me any cheese?" The tiny old woman peered myopically up at Sunni, and though she was old, and frail looking, her eyes, the same green as the Sisters, were intense and twinkly as if she were a wee bobbit.

"I most certainly did not bring you any cheese, Gammer. You know what it does to you!" Sunni sniffed, tossing her curls. "I.. I was wondering if you'd heard from Ankriston. She's not been home in a few days and Rosi and I are worried."

"Come sit, child and have a cuppa with me? I made your favorite biscuits." Omaa padded off into the kitchen.

"You really did know I was coming didn't you!"

"Course I did! I aint daft ya know!" Omaa yelled from the depths of the kitchen.

Sunni would have helped, but she knew from experience that any offered aid would result in a swift whap of Omaa's walking stick, so against her sweet, helpful nature, she remained in the sitting room, hands neatly folded in her lap. She looked around Omaa's cozy home with a soft smile. The girls had wanted to stay with her after their parents were killed by goblins, but even then, Omaa had been too elderly to take care of three small bobbits, so their Aunt Breeosh took them in. Now, she was practically ancient, but still spry, even though she walked with her stick. Sunni had seen her take her stick to some ruffians once though, so she was almost convinced it was an act. Or maybe it was a magic staff.

"Stop being so imaginative, Sunnidi" She told herself. "Omaa isn't really a witch!"

"You look good, Sunni, Bree is agreeing witcha. Here I got yer tea and biscuits. Let's have a drink shall we?" Omaa carefully placed the tea and biscuits on the table and sat carefully in an overstuffed chair. A small frog scampered across the room, and Omaa just grinned, watching it play. "Yer worried about Krissi huh? She aint been around? Well you know Kris, she's got that adventuring spirit. Now, when yer done with yer tea, gimme the cup, ok, and we'll do a read. See what I can suss out."

Sunnidi complied and when she was finished with the delicious tea, she was sure it was Omaa's special blend, she handed her the teacup. Omaa swirled the contents around for a moment, closing her eyes, and then splashed the remains into the saucer. She peered into the dregs for a moment or two, and Sunni tried her best to be quiet and let her work. She knew that this was a thing Omaa did, one of the reasons Rosi said she was a witch.

"Aha!" Omaa cried, causing Sunni to almost fall out of her chair. "See? look there, see that shape? That's means that the one you're looking for is safe and is in fact, finding her own way, her path if'n ya will. Kris aint like you'n Rosi, she's more like that other side of the family. The Anni Side, the wild bunch. She gotsta find a differnt path than you two, and you may not like it but ya gotta let her go and be who she needs ta be. And you, child..." Omaa smiled and reached over to pat Sunnidi's cheek. "Girlie, you gotta relax and live a little, stop worryin about yer sisters. Get drunk, get laid, find a cute hobbit to make babies with."

"Omaa!" Sunni turned a violent shade of pink and her cry of embarrassment made Omaa chuckle. "I'm just fine thank you very much." She said, primly, and shut her mouth as Omaa poured a generous amount of something from her flask into her tea. It was not her business if Omaa wanted to drink!

"Just a wee nip mind ya." Omaa chortled. "Want some?" She waggled the flask toward Sunni, who shook her head and held up her hand.

"I'm fine, thank you Gammer. You sure Kris is alright?" She asked with a soft frown.

Omaa snorted. "Course I'm sure! She's my granddaughter. And she always lands on her feet. You know that, now stop being a fusspot worrywart and tell me all about your Breeland adventures."

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: