Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Tales and Fiction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carysta

Awarded:

re: Some of Cary's old My Lotro stories

So, I was googling around and found a gem of a site - https://web.archive.org/. The reason I'm calling it a gem is, I had done a few posts back when my.lotro.com was a thing and I thought they were lost forever because I was on a break from the game when the site closed down and I hadn't saved anything. So please enjoy these little backstory posts I made way back in 08/09, saved thanks to the Wayback Machine! Going to put each of the story posts in its own reply to this thread, here's the first one! A couple of the characters still live on Arkenstone, back when these were written they would have lived on Silverlode! First little story follows the squiggles. I've included the original headers for the dates :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tales of a Hobbit Adventurer
Posted On: December 16th, 2008
Posted By: Carysta
Posted in: Hobbit Adventures
First, allow me to wish a happy Yule Festival to everyone! I hope you are all enjoying the pretty new ponies!

As an intrepid Hobbit Adventurer I will use this blog to bring you news of my dangerous and exciting Adventures in Moria. Why, just the other day I had to kill a veritable horde of enormous bedbugs that had decided dwarf made the most excellent dinner. However with my mighty cries I felled the ‘bugs, thus saving the dwarf from an itchy fate. I also helped to ‘discover’ the bottom of a well that the dwarves were to afraid to adventure into on their own. It would have been an easier feat had I had some rope with me… however I prevailed in the end! Moria can be a dark place but as long as I have some food with me I’m sure to be all right. It does seem to need some good old-fashioned hobbit cheer though, as the dwarves are a dour sort, always asking “What do you want?” and other equally rude sayings when you are trying to help them. It must be the long dark of the place, or the finding of so many lost comrades, but we shall soon fix them up with some pipeweed and ale!

More to come on my continuing adventures!

Last edited by Carysta on 2019/09/26 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Is it festival time yet?
Carysta

Awarded:

The Forges of Khazad-dum!
Posted On: December 31st, 2008
While exploring Moria and helping the dwarves, my intrepid kinsmen and kinswomen and I ventured into a new area recently. Known as The Forges of Khazad-dum, it is by far the hottest place in Moria. Much warmer than those dreary Waterworks! Indeed, I did not even have to heat up my Rack of Lamb with Mint Sauce before eating it as it got quite warm in my backpack! And what a place to need to eat - so many ramps and stairs to climb! And orcs! Oh my, the orcs. Terrible fiery creatures of quite ugly countenance who would rather rend a poor hobbit limb from limb than sit and share a nice cup of Red Tea.

Well, being the intrepid explorers we are, we stormed through the Forges and wound up facing a monster who must have been sure of his victory, he had so much morale! We were strong and we brought him down very speedily, even with the trolls that he kept running off to fetch to assist him! We felt most proud to have vanquished such a foe. And the fire he called - it shot out of the middle of the forges in such a way that my outfit was singed. My favourite chest piece, smoking and burnt. I was so upset, but it was not to last. For, the boss had on him a curious coin that I showed to my trainer once we made our way back to the 21st hall. My trainer was most excited to see a coin of that quality and exchanged it for a new chest piece for me! How wonderful! My trainer said that any such coins would be welcome, but that he might not always have chest pieces; my boots are getting quite worn so perhaps I can find a coin to exchange for new boots next! Of course once my friends learned of my good fortune, they all wanted to find shiny coins as well… and who am I to refuse to assist them? we vanquished that monster many times, I suppose he just likes to fight…

I wonder what my next adventure shall be?

Is it festival time yet?
Carysta

Awarded:

An Unexpected Letter
Posted On: February 10th, 2009
Posted in: A Hobbit's History
I suppose I should start by telling you a little of my history. As you may know, not all hobbits are of the adventuring sort, although rather more than less of late, I should say! Anyway, I always knew even as a child that I’d been born with a restless spirit. My mum used to have to implore me and threaten me to get me to keep close to home, for to her it was not seemly for a hobbit lass to go wandering as far as the neighbour’s alone. “You stay here and mind the littles!” she’d say, or “Your sister is almost of an age, why d’you need any other playmates?” and other such talk. My father was much more strict, only allowing me to roam to my friends’ holes for the most special of occasions. Even among hobbits, I perceived as I reached my tweens, my parents were considered an oddity in that they did not socialize much with their neighbours and kept such strict rules for their daughters. When I was of an age for the young hobbit lads to come calling, my parents were incensed and would have none of it. It turns out that they were planning “a prudent match” for me (and I’m sure for my sisters! although they were still too young, except maybe Carysda…) but i digress. Anyway the long story short is I left home, leaving my weeping mother (who in her own strict, reserved fashion, I’m sure still loved us all) and my incensed father, who disowned me on the spot, so that I left basically with the clothes on my back. As you can see that has caused me no hardship in the long run and I’ve done quite all right by myself. I even wound up buying a comfortable hole in the Shire, for when I retire, like, as far from my traditionalist parents (who have never been outside Brokenborings where I grew up!) as I possibly could be.

Now, my one regret in leaving home was in leaving my little sisters to my parents, who I was sure even then would be much stricter than ever. There were four of us Littlefoot girls altogether, myself, Carysda the next, Carylyn the third and Caryfira the youngest of us all. But I coudn’t stay to be married off to someone thrice my age because my parents thought it prudent… I missed my sisters terribly, especially at first, as I was little used to being quite so alone. I always meant to go back, free them from the elder Littlefoots, but, alas, it never came to be. So, I always had this regret in the back of my mind and some vague plan to come back for them, but something always held me back. Maybe it was the fear that they were like-minded to my parents and would revile me if I should come back, I don’t know…

Anyway, being in the Mines of Moria, the mail is, to be sure, quite irregular (nothing like our Quick Post back home!) but then, what with the turmoil, that’s to be expected I suppose. Anyway, a large bag of mail came the other day containing all sorts of letters posted who-knows-when for many of us travelers seeking fame and fortune and so forth. Imagine my great surprise that one of these welcome missives was for me! Imagine my delight in finding it was from ‘Fira, the baby, now a lass in her tweens… I was so happy! Anyway I’ve reproduced the whole of it here for you as I can’t just tell it, that would lose the impact… here it is in my dear sister’s words:

Dearest Carysta,

I hope that this letter finds you well (indeed I hope it finds you at all, away in the Mines of which I’ve heard so much!), and that you have had the adventures you were always dreaming of, back home in Brokenborings. I am writing in the hopes of giving you good tidings of myself, and of all your sisters. So much has happened since you left, I hardly know where to begin! Right after your departure, Mum and Da became even more like themselves, if you can believe it. Those were angry times in the house, as we three remaining were not at all allowed out of sight of one or another of our parents. You can imagine that this was especially hard for ‘sda and for ‘lyn who were in their very late tweens when you left… Myself, being the littlest, and never much inclined to any sort of adventuring, felt the brunt of it less, I’m sure. Anyway, Mum and Da were determined that none of us should so disobey hobbit traditional values and run off like little beasts beggars harlots I can’t tell you the words they used, it’s too mean… Well, they arranged marriages right quick for both ‘sda and ‘lyn, who were in no wise pleased, let me tell you. Anyway, ‘sda has always been handy with locks and such (since the parents had taken to locking us into our rooms at night, imagine that!) so one night, she picks her way out of the room, picks her way into the cupboards (yes they locked up the food too, can you imagine? no snacks at night? it was terrible!!), takes a lot of food and some clothes, and next morning when we get up she’s gone with nary a word. ‘fira and I were right pleased although we tried not to show it. I’m not sure where ‘sda has gotten herself off to, but I’m sure she’s doing all right. I’ve sent her a letter as well as ‘lyn (more on that in a moment) telling her I’ve learned where you are, so hopefully she will write you soon too!

Indeed you’re probably wondering where I heard news of you - well, it seems your skills as a jeweller have gotten around, and Dwarves being an intelligent sort, they saw my last name and told me all about you. Now I’m sure you’re wondering about why I’m consorting with Dwarves - all in good time. First I must tell you of ‘lyn or it’ll all be out of order!

So, ‘lyn, seeing the success of your and ‘sda’s escapes, took heart that she might escape being married off before she was even out of her tweens. She’s always been the sturdy one, stronger, and before Mum and Da took to locking us up, she’d even spent some time learning to hunt, imagine that. So one day, a Bounder comes by (and by now strangers were few and far between, even townsfolk from Brokenborings wouldn't come talk to Mum and Da anymore since they thought them very queer and old-fashioned!) and ‘lyn, who was being made to do needlework (of all things her with her rough hands and strength!) offers him a bite to eat or a drink, he looked that parched. Mum was in the back of the hole looking for something and Da was off to market with some things, and Mum having forgotten to lock the cupboard since she was coming directly back, well, quick as that ‘lyn made a bundle of some food and said to the Bounder, well, let’s be off… and that was that. Mum came back front a good 10 minutes later, by then, ‘lyn was long gone. When Da got home he was livid of course, but what could he do?

Now myself, even with all the rest of you gone, at first I didn’t even think of leaving. I’m not like you three - I’ve always been fairly contented at home, and at first, I thought things would improve for me with the rest of you gone, seeing as I’d never shown any interest in leaving, and was doing everything a dutiful daughter should. Now being in my late tweens, I was starting to daydream as any young hobbit lass would, of my future, my own little hole and a husband to make me happy. The usual stuff; I was ready to get out of my tweens, meet a nice lad, and settle down. Now, you’d think, seeing as how they tried to force all three of you into abhorrent planned marriages, you’d think I’d put two and two together and come up with four, that being, they would never let me choose for myself. Indeed it was only three days after ‘lyn left that they told me I was to be married, to Parlo Hornfoot. Yes, you read that right - they were going to marry me off to Gaffer Hornfoot. Angry, ugly old Hornfoot - to me. I could hardly believe my ears - especially when they told me I was to be married in three days time. Oh, ’sta, I was so afraid - and angry too. But I’m not adventurous like you, or clever like ‘da, or strong like ‘lyn… I’m just quiet me. I couldn’t see any way out of it - if I tried to run away they’d find me, indeed, they told me they’d put the word out that I’d stolen and that would be that for me in the Shire, if I were to leave.

I was that upset, I locked MYSELF in my room that night, so that no one could come in. Now you remember I was lucky, I had that room with the big window that was easy to climb in and out of? I guess Mum and Da figured I’d never climb out it, or they just didn’t think of it being there. Anyway in the night I hear some rough singing on the road, voices that didn’t sound like hobbits. That rough tone couldn’t be elves either, so I figured, it was either Big Folk or Dwarves. We’d had a lot of Dwarves coming through headed to Needlehole and then beyond, where to at the time I didn’t know. Well, quick as a flash I made up my mind, I gathered a few things, and fled out the window towards the sound I could hear. Sure enough it was a caravan of dwarves, headed back home to Thorin’s Hall. I told them my predicament and am not ashamed to say I burst into tears. Perhaps this moved them or my story did - I don’t know what, but they took me in right away. If they had sent me home I imagine I’d be married to the Gaffer now, but they didn’t. I had nothing to pay them with, but they kindly let me do for them, especially once they realized I could cook (dwarves love good food but are horrible cooks for the most part!) and that made me feel much less of a burden. Especially since my one real skill has been with my slingshot ( you know how good my aim was even as a child, I remember you being very upset because I could always hit things faster and better than you!), one day, there was a coney by the road, and as we were coming towards dinnertime, I didn’t even think, I just grabbed a stone and my sling and Thwap! had us a coney for dinner. The dwarves were some shocked when I hopped out of the cart and grabbed it quick as you please, then hopped back in. In fact, seeing what I’d done, the dwarves started to ask me to teach them, so I did, and in exchange they taught me to wield a bow.

As it turns out I have some modest skill (the dwarves seem impressed at any rate!) and so, I learned to do a little hunting for them. Anyway we eventually reached Thorin’s hall, and once they realized my sister was Carysta the Jeweller, they put me on commission for valuable ores for you, provided I continue to learn to hunt and so forth. So I’ve been living quite pleasantly among the dwarves and I think I’ll stay here a while, as it suits me not to have to go off adventuring - this has been quite enough of one for now. My only worry is how to get the ore to you reliably… well we’ll cross that bridge when we get there I suppose!

And now, Dearest Carysta, I must head off, some of my Dwarf friends are requesting that I come hunting with them, and I’m happy to oblige. I hope that I shall hear from you soon!

With love, your little ‘fira.

Now of course I answered this missive right away, telling ‘fira all about the little hole near Michel Delving, how it was far enough from our parents that they’d never know it was there. There is some limited storage where she can leave the ores you see, and where I can leave things to help her out as well; finished jewelry and other trinkets I may come across that are of use to her. I’ve told her, if she hears from my sisters before I do, that I’ll do the same for them, leave some useful items in the hole I’ve furnished up, so they can use it as they please. I’d write to the others, ‘sda and ‘lyn, but I don’t know where they might be, so ‘fira’s the way to go for now, any road. I’m so glad they are all out of the way of the harm my parents could do (Gaffer Hornfoot, indeed!) and I look forward to hearing more of their adventures (as no doubt ‘sda and ‘lyn are up to adventures in their own style, I’m sure!).

Is it festival time yet?
Carysta

Awarded:

Wights, Wights, and more Wights…
Posted On: February 11th, 2009
…does the madness never end? I was exploring in the Trollshaws today, as I found I needed a break from the long dark of Moria, and I stumbled across an area simply filled with wights! Now, being a well-seasoned adventurer, most of the beasties in the Trollshaws leave me quite alone, as they are all it seems afraid of my prowess as a fighting minstrel. Anyway, it came to me that these forsaken wights tend to carry lovely large treasures that can be used in jewel-crafting. So, I set out to clear out the area a little bit, perhaps making it safer for other travellers, and certainly in the hopes to enrich myself.

I killed wights by the dozens, by the hundreds… but it seems I found some very poor wights indeed, for while they yielded many skulls and bones (which certain vendors are still interested in), I only wound up with 15 of the large treasures I was seeking. Ay me! A long night’s labour (for by the time I gave up killing the brutes, dawn was breaking quite stealthily over the mountains), and not much to show for it. I suppose I can use some of them for some trinket or other for my sister Caryfira (yes we’re back in touch, details are in my post about my history if you’d like to know more of the withertos and whyfores…)

From the Trollshaws I spent a fair bit of time heading back to Bree. Once I arrived there someone suggested that I should try the tomb Haud Iarchith in the Barrow-downs, and since it had been such a long time since I had explored there, I had to learn my way around again! One of these days I shall have to make a proper map, I seem to lose that one a lot. Anyway luck was with me for, along with trinkets that I got a fair bit of reputation with in Bree, for the finding of such coins and jewels, I also had the fortune to find not one but two beryl shards! Happy day! Those will come in handy making some lovely jewelry for some of my fellow adventurers, I’m sure.

Well, I suppose I should make my way back into Moria - I’ve had some sunlight now and I feel that good for it, really I do! Off I go to more challenging adventures! Perhaps I’ll check out this library of steel everyone keeps telling me about…

Is it festival time yet?
Carysta

Awarded:

More mail!
Posted On: February 25th, 2009
Well, it seems little ‘fira has more ways of getting news than any of the rest of us, or at least a better idea of our whereabouts! It seems she got in touch with my sister Carysda as this worthy was passing through Thorin’s Gate, and let her know all about the cosy hole I’ve got stocked up near Michel Delving. ‘sda has always been the practical sort, and so she stopped by on her way through the Shire. Now while I’m quite sure I left the place locked, for someone of ‘sda’s unique talents that would be no great obstacle. As became evident when I walked in today and found the following tacked neatly above the chest in the bedroom:

Dear big sister,

It has been much too long since I’ve had news of you so I’m very happy I ran across little ‘fira in the dwarf town. I keep saying ‘little’ but she’s near out of her tweens now and obviously settling in nicely. She has more spirit than I ever imagined - I guess it just took lighting a fire under her… well you know, to get her out from under our dear parents’ incredibly large, heavy thumbs.

Little ‘fira tells me you’ve been all over the place and so of course I also made some enquiries among the Dwarves of my acquaintance. Our littlest sister always doted on you, and so while I believed she believed what she was telling me, it could easily have been embellished in her own mind. Turns out that her news was remarkably accurate; another way she’s grown I guess! It seems you’ve been having some fantastic adventures - I hear you were with a group that faced a Balrog, even, and survived! That must indeed be a tale to tell. And now you’re in Moria, a place spoken of only in hushed tones and even then, not often. I hope you know what you’re doing - there are tales of all sorts of horrible monsters and beasts and fell creatures prowling around in there. If you got yourself eaten our dear parents would be beside themselves with “I told you she’d come to a bad end” and “This is what happens to folks who poke their noses into business not their own” and “It’s sad but if she’d listened to her elders she’d still be with us”… oh it would never end. So, don’t get yourself eaten by wargs or anything stupid like that for the rest of us would never hear the end of it! That is if we ever speak to our dear parents again of course which I’m in no hurry to do.

Anyway, ‘fira told me you’d be leaving some things of use in the hole (and indeed it is cosy! with fun things to do as well - I tried on that armour, that was interesting, but I don’t think I’ll make stew of that enormous mushroom… hah!) so I made free of the stuff in the chests. Nice food - it seems you’ve either learned to cook in your adventuring or found someone to sell some provisions. I found the leathers as well - but who is this ‘Carywyn’ whose name is stamped on the work? A distant relation? or someone else who just happens to be named like to us? I sense a tale in the telling! I found some lovely baubles as well and feel all the better for some shiny things. In return I left you some ores and hides I’d found, I’m sure you can make a good use of them!

Myself, I’ve been here and there, learning some new tricks and whatnot. I’ve actually gotten quite good with knives, some friends trained me in that. And in the art of treasure-hunting! Which is very fun and profitable, for the most part. I can be stealthy and do all kinds of things. Only to wicked people of course - I’m a burglar not a bandit! Anyway I must be off - I’ve got places to go, people to see, treasure to find, adventures to have… I’m headed off towards Esteldin or perhaps Evendim, depends on what companions I meet along the way!

Take care of yourself! Leave messages here I’ll check in when I can!

Love ‘sda.

Such good news to hear from another of the sisters! I’ve left her my reply as well as sealed missives for ‘fira, and ‘lyn should they happen to stop by.

Is it festival time yet?
Carysta

Awarded:

A Letter from Carylyn
Posted On: April 3rd, 2009
Well, it seems that little ‘fira’s contacts have proved themselves once again. I was at the cozy hole in Thatchacre to put some things in my house (there is an elf of my acquaintance, Carywen, a friend now, because our names are similar, who is a scholar of some reknown, for whom I leave items of note when I find them!) and to check my mail. Sure enough there was a letter from ‘lyn waiting for me! I was that excited that I sat right down on the stoop and opened it up.

Heyla Carysta!

I hope this letter finds you well. ‘fira says you’ve been a busy girl! I hope that you still make as much music as you used to, your songs were positively cheering a lot of the time in that gloomy old hole. I hear you’ve been as far as Lorien, I can’t imagine what it must be like to see the elves and all!

I myself have been very busy since I left home. ‘fira tells me she told that story up to my leaving so I won’t bother you with those details. Once I left the Bounder I’d met taught me the basics of using a spear and shield and javelin, as well as my own two fists. He could tell I guess that I wasn’t a shirker! However he told me he could only teach me so much and that I had the aptitude to learn more, so he sent me off to Bree with a letter recommending me to the trainers there. I’ve now even made my way into the Lone-lands (which I’m sure you’ve visited, you’ve been so well-traveled!). I find that I enjoy the life of a Warden, helping folk that need help, and getting rid of the goblins and orcs and whatnot that are plaguing the good folk. I’ve even been as far as Esteldin, which makes me feel quite the traveler.

I’ve also learned the art of cooking, which I hear you also know quite well. I do go back to Michel Delving sometimes and I joined the Cook’s Guild there. They like my cooking so much I’ve been acclaimed Kindred with them, can you imagine? I know a few secret recipes and as soon as I track down what I need (can’t tell you, it’s a secret!) I’ll make you some delicious things and leave them here in this cosy hole. I daresay it’s a good thing we’re not all living here at once or we’d have to expand, but it makes a nice stopping-place and no mistake!

I saw little ‘fira out and about in the Shire the other day, weilding a bow like it was part of her arm, running with one of the Big Folk. Showing off the sights, I shouldn’t wonder! I guess she feels safe now that she can defend herself. Gaffer Hornfoot, indeed… whatever were the elder Littlefoots thinking!?

Keep yourself well dearest eldest (I know you love that title! Ha!) and keep in touch!

Carylyn xxoo

Of course I replied at once, and although my curiosity is burning I didn’t ask what the secret recipes were (after all, I have my own secrets in the Jeweller’s guild that I cannot reveal so I understand…) although I did indicate that I would love to sample whatever these delicacies might be. The news that even little ‘fira ventured out into the wide world amazed me - she was definitely growing up! I noticed my note to her was still here so she must not have been by the hole recently. I added a few words just asking about her adventures. I can’t wait to hear back!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And here the stories ended - as often happens, life, the universe and everything kept me away from the game for long enough for the My Lotro site to be disbanded sad But it was a treat for me to rediscover these stories and I hope you all enjoyed them!

Is it festival time yet?
Durakili

Great stories, Cary!!

I do notice that you didn't put in how many times you were defeated in Fil Gashan ;), and how a certain burglar had to save your butt over and over again- but we'll let that slide :D
Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

Love them Cary. I have always been a big fan of character journals. Would love to see more folks doing these on a regularish basis.

Loeci
Officer

Awarded:

Really enjoying these Cary! thank you so much for sharing!!

LMB alts: Isranayr, Estelmiriel, Illystar, Silmairien, Cyrce, Snapdragonn, Wyldbyrd, Jaznah, and Wyldbeary

Fury's Paean: Ladgerdaa, Simoric

Werewargs of Lindon: Scallywarg, Scallypaws

Order of the Silver Flame alts: Drakmoor, Dawnie, and others

Alt kins: Scallyrats Rum Pirates: Beldawraith, Gilarii, Alagosil

East of the Sun West of the Moon: Mystralia 

Pies n' Pints: Belgariath 

Pievengers of the Shire: Snowdropp

Scallyrat's Rum Pirate Band: Scallysong, Scallyrum, Scallymouse, Scallyrogue, and Scallyshark

The Byrd and Berri Inn: Wyldbyrd, Wyldberri

other games: SWTOR (Loeci, Gil'raen and many others), ESO @wolfsong66 (Loeci, Shaolinn, Illystar, White'heart, Drak'moor, etc)

“Above all shadows rides the Sun
and Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.”

Carysta

Awarded:

Aedon Durreah wrote:
Love them Cary. I have always been a big fan of character journals. Would love to see more folks doing these on a regularish basis.

I might do a few more new ones, I remember I really enjoyed doing these at the time :)

Durakili wrote:
Great stories, Cary!!

I do notice that you didn't put in how many times you were defeated in Fil Gashan ;), and how a certain burglar had to save your butt over and over again- but we'll let that slide :D

Well, of course I'm not going to say how much I was defeated out there! But yah, your burg pulled me out of the fire literally a few times, and pretty sure Durakili saved me more than once too lol We had so much fun out there!

Is it festival time yet?
Carica
Carica Zoi
Chicken Officer

Awarded:

How delightful! I do miss my.lotro and mymiddleearth.
How did you find the exact pages on the way back machine? Did you have the url still bookmarked?

Awarded:

Carica Zoi wrote:
How delightful! I do miss my.lotro and mymiddleearth.
How did you find the exact pages on the way back machine? Did you have the url still bookmarked?

I remembered it was my.lotro.ca/carysta (because my dang brain holds on to that but can't remember to bring mom that thing she had me order on amazon lol) so I put that in. So I guess if you remember what the username was that you had for the my lotro you could find yourself that way!

Is it festival time yet?
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Tales and Fiction All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: