Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Remembrances
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Sonca
Vulpes_Velox
Officer

Awarded:

re: Tinki

It is my sad duty to inform you all that our beloved Tinki sailed in to the west.

Forum Image
(Picture by Kyrian of Landroval)

Ron was 65 when he passed away in his home on April 6th, 2016, presumably from the cancer he was fighting or complications stemming from it. His obituary did not give any details.

I have been quietly keeping an eye out on another forum that he posted on, whenever I noticed he had some extended absences from the game. I was not really following his posts out there as I did not want to intrude, but I kept checking datetime stamps of his posts. I felt that as long as he was posting somewhere, he was still with us and successfully fighting his cancer. But these last few months I no longer saw any new posts out there as well and became concerned.

I started checking online for references of what I had assumed was his full name. I found the obituary first, then I found his facebook page. I knew instantly I found the right person and my heart sank. His cover photo is the same one he shared in our photos thread here. A quick comparison of the obit’s survivors list and his friends list gave the confirmation that unfortunately I had the correct person.
Alas, I did not know him as well as some of the old timers here, but over the years my respect for him grew as I got to know him and the generous person he was.

My first memory of him was his forum posts in the LOTRO forums. I loved his forum signature…
Quote:

“Whilst cooking for Elevensies, Tinki floors 2 Orcs with her frying pan and fresh caught fish.
The frying pan critted for 18 hp and the fish was extra tender afterwards.”

It was one of his posts about Weatherstock that pulled me off of Crickhollow just long enough to see this amazing event. I have to say I do not recall seeing Tinki there that day. My highfalutin elf did not have time for hobbits and their silly ways. But I did hear Tinki shouting out something about smokes and drinks, as well as fine outfits someone had made so folks did not have to stand around during the concert in their intro-quest garb. A year later it was again one of his posts that helped entice me to put Sonca’s name in for consideration in the kin.

Later I looked up to Tinki as the leader of our wonderful vending team. While Sonca is not a big fan of yellow, she loves and is honored to be able to wear that yellow Team Tinki vending outfit during the various kin events. I tried to learn from Tinki what the best methods of collecting, storing and then vendering the various wears that the Vending Team gives out. On the big day, all the yellow hobbits (and the occasional dwarf or elf) would be running around trying to give away beer and pies while Tinki kept an eye on all of us and managed the whole thing over the fellowship chat.

When Harper announced she was stepping down several of us pushed to have Tinki appointed president for life. I for one still proudly stand by that campaign. (Sorry Byrcha)

-- Sonca, proud member of Team Tinki

*raises a glass to Tinki, the Master of The Boot*
Far apart, Never alone

*wanders off to cry herself to sleep*

Awarded:

I... am one sad Gori right now. =(

Thanks, Sonca. I'd been thinking of our finest "fellow in yellow" for months now, having not seen a post. I didn't know if we would have any way of learning how he was doing. Without you, we still wouldn't know.

Tinki was one of the coolest, most peace-loving human beings I've ever had the honor of gaming with. All he wanted was fun and smiles and good times for all. I remember when we banded together to get him that terrific LMB banner and how it just lit up his day like a rocket (thanks again for all who contributed to that)! That photo of him beside it is still bright in my mind.

I know he wouldn't want us to be sad about missing him, but God as my witness, I am going to miss ol' Tinki like no other.

*raises a glass to Tinki* Far Apart, Never Alone!

Honor and fun,
Gori "Mithrilfist" Brightforge a.k.a. Dannigan

P.S. Hey, Bandmates! Everybody share something good in this thread about Tinki, now! It is what he'd want and you know it! Grieve with the rest of us (Far Apart, Never Alone!), just share something good about Tinki while doing it! And someone tell Harper about this! Harp deserves to know. Thanks! =)

P.S. In the spirit of good times, I have to share this (dated the 7th of November of 2011 which is a Monday, so it must have been for an Ales & Tales =) ). This is a /tell between Tinki and I when he was first teaching me how to vend (which I'll be happy to do come Weatherstock again). Hooray for our yellowest hobbit, Tinki! Enjoy! =)

### Chat Capture: IMs_Tinki 11/07 09:23 PM ###
[21:17] Tinki: the vending works best this way...3 of one ale and 3 of another and 5 of pipweed per patron
[21:17] Mithrilfist: (OOC) Okay! Thank you.
[21:17] Mithrilfist: How many ales would you like?
[21:17] Tinki: You will probably need about 200 ale total and 300 smokes
[21:18] Mithrilfist: I have that and more from my crafting alone since we last spoke on the subject. =)
[21:18] Tinki: I could use at least 50 at first, you have another brew type also?
[21:18] Mithrilfist: Oh yes! My Warden's favorite - [50 Ultimate Honeybrew Beers]
[21:18] Mithrilfist: I like to share those everywhere I go. =)
[21:18] Tinki: ok, I will supplement that with[40 Strawberry Stout Beers]
[21:18] Mithrilfist: Oh! Thanks!
[21:19] Tinki: May I suggest that you vend to kinnies and I vend to all other partrons? If I leave a little early, you take over for me :)
[21:20] Mithrilfist: Certainly! I plan to be there until its end (unless Real Life calls me away).
[21:20] Tinki: once you get the hang of it . Kinnies tip too :)
[21:21] Mithrilfist: Oh, that's not necessary, but that is nice of them! I'll make more room in my inventory in case it comes in the form of pie. =)
[21:21] Mithrilfist: Do you want them mailed to you or shall we meet at the Appledores?
[21:21] Tinki: due to bag space probs I never vend foodstuffs, I sort beforehand yu see.. and I will trade once we get there :)
[21:22] Mithrilfist: That sounds good. I just realized I did not put all of my pipe-weed in my Shared Storage. I'll BRB!

"No language is justly studied merely as an aid to other purposes. It will in fact better serve other purposes, philological or historical, when it is studied for love, for itself." - J.R.R. Tolkien, English and Welsh (1955)
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien

My Lonely Mountain Band characters include Dannigan (main, 100th-level Human Warden), Briamil (95th-level Elven Rune-keeper), Gori "Mithrilfist" Brightforge (95th-level Dwarven Champion), Mithrilfists (also Gori, 60th-level Dwarven Guardian), and Whittle (95th-level Hobbit Hunter). Far apart, never alone! =)
Bavelbella
Bavelbella

sad Tinki was the spirit of LMB and weatherstock and will live in all who knew her.

Awarded:

A lass who left a lasting legacy here and an exceptionally brave man outside of Middle-earth.

Mega-hugs especially to those of you who knew Tinki for years and years.
Aldekim
Officer

Such sad news. Rest in peace my friend.

Working together we all benefit ~ Aldekim, Brambel - Lonely Mountain Band ~ Doribolger - Harp and Dragon (LMB alt kin) ~ Athilrond, Ahtook, Nellan, Elye, Sylduril, Nitnoy, Elduryl, Dironen - Clan Etal ~ Kaesy - Lonely Mountain Treasures (Byrdie alt kin)
GDPR#3463094

re: GDPR#3463094

GDPR#3463094
Lhinnthel
Lhinnthel
High Officer

Awarded:

Oh no! I did not know dear Tinki as well as some of you, but I was immensely honored the few times I had the pleasure of grouping with him. The enthusiasm, cheerfulness, and kindness that Tinki exuded is something I have always admired. Tinki was the officer who gave me my full member promotion. To this day, I always think of Tinki while slaying orcs! Before joining LMB, I remember seeing Tinki "hocking his wares" as he fondly called his vending. So clever and friendly, it was impossible to keep a smile off your face, when Tinki was about! He was often the first contact folks had with LMB, when they attended Ales and Tales, and was one of the reasons I felt confident enough to finally put in an application. The world is a little dimmer without Tinki - I'm so glad we were able to glimpse such a bright shining star while he was still on this earth.

One of the last times I had the fortune to see Tinki was a kin Rift run in early 2015 - what a fun time we all had together.

Forum Image

Several folks outside of LMB have asked if it is true, via direct message on Twitter. (I saw a tweet from Ethlossoth mentioning Tinki's passing, so that may be how they heard the news.) I do think it would be nice to have an in-game memorial, sometime in the future, so that we can all share memories of our dear friend.

Thank you for letting us know, Sonca :'(

Other games :: GW2 (Fayarra.4827) :: ESO (Fayarra26)
"...the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing:
there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Vorlt Trankey
Vorlt

Awarded:

Sail well, little yellow Hobbit.

Awarded:

Oh dear ... Thank you Sonca for finding and sharing this news. I am filled with sadness, but also with gladness. If Galenhir is the vision/mind of LMB, and Harperella the soul, well, Tinki will always be the heart of LMB. Every happy moment brought to someone via a yellow-clad vendor is thanks to dear Tinki.

I too owe my time in LMB to Tinki. I was one of those awol recruits, yet instead of booting me Tinki promoted me (my response: "Are you *sure* you want to do that?"). We all owe Tinki a great debt, which methinks can only be paid forward (as Tinki no doubt would have wanted).

Yes, we'll have to plan some kind of memorial gathering. And a tribute at Weatherstock. But we might need more mugs, since I think many many mugs will be shattered in Tinki's honor.

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Keli
Keli
Officer

Awarded:

Very sad news though I take comfort in the fact he is at peace now and free from the pain.

Tinki and I exchanged many emails when I was ill some years ago and he offered me a lot of support and useful advice. He was a very kind man. When I joined LMB way back when it was Harper, Aldekim and Tinki who persuaded me that there was a place for a European; seems odd now we have so many Europeans on the server but it was rare then. And Tinki encouraged the formation of The Andune Ensemble.

How I miss the Mistress of the Boot coming on and terrifying us all on quiet afternoons!

Sweet Eru, Ronnie, been missing you for ages but we will keep the little yellow Tinkis going for sure.

I have no more words just now sad

This is my favourite picture of him:-

Forum Image

Forte Maestro

Awarded:

It is a sad thing having lost my mother to it 3 years ago. Im glad i got to meet him sad

Officer

Awarded:

re: Re: Tinki

sad
I do not know what to say...
Rest in peace, my dearest inspiration...
I am extremely sad, and now angry to myself for not being able to serve this year as a member of team Tinki...
I used to be one of his facebook friends, years ago.

I feel blessed to had chance to meet him, I remember after Keli recruited me to kin, around my first week I was curious to see Rivendell, and Anthe's level was too low to get there safely or by hunter port. Tinki lead me all the way from Shire, cleaned the road from danger and brought me back safely, it felt so similar to journey of the fellowship, he was the best fellowship leader ever. I joined my first skirmish with him, and it was great times...
Also without him, I think I would not be able to play lotro further from Eriador, I used to be a f2p player and I bought all quest packs by grinding TPs, at that time. Ron, as a soft-hearted father-like person, spent around 100$ for expansion packs and gave me as a present, it was the biggest gift I have ever received!
Apart from gaming life, due to his health problems and my field of expertise he always encouraged me to pursue further and break the limits, without his spiritual support it would be extremely harder to get masters degree on biochemistry.
He used to say to me... "You will be in the front rank and I will watch your discoveries from TV!"
I can not thank more to him for everything... we lost our yellow-clad mentor/mayor...

*raises a glass to Tinki*
Far apart, Never alone

-I wrote this while crying, I am very sorry for grammar mistakes.-

-Anthy, of yellow clad hobbits.

Keli
Officer

Awarded:

Very well said, Anthy

Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

The is such sad news, but I take heart in knowing that I had the chance to know Tinki. It will be hard to see the color Yellow without thinking of the dear little Hobbit.

Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

We're still formulating plans, but we're currently hoping to have a tribute to Tinki next Sunday, July 10th, following the final WCS show at 4:00 pm /servertime. We'll also do something at Weatherstock VIII, but we'll plan that later.

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Remembrances All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: