Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> J.R.R. Tolkien
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dannigan
Officer

Awarded:

re: Tolkien, Kullervo, and Corey Olsen.

Heya folks!

National Public Radio (npr.org) has an article about Tolkien and his writing of The Story of Kullervo, a dark story I had never heard of, but one that seemed to charm The Professor.

Also, there is a short and thoughtful 2012 article by Corey Olsen called Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit.

As we are members of the Tolkien Society (a fact I have always been proud of), I figured these things, like many things Tolkien, are worth sharing here. =)

Honor and fun,
Dannigan a.k.a. Gori "Mithrilfist" Brightforge =)

"No language is justly studied merely as an aid to other purposes. It will in fact better serve other purposes, philological or historical, when it is studied for love, for itself." - J.R.R. Tolkien, English and Welsh (1955)
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien

My Lonely Mountain Band characters include Dannigan (main, 100th-level Human Warden), Briamil (95th-level Elven Rune-keeper), Gori "Mithrilfist" Brightforge (95th-level Dwarven Champion), Mithrilfists (also Gori, 60th-level Dwarven Guardian), and Whittle (95th-level Hobbit Hunter). Far apart, never alone! =)
Hollyberye

Awarded:

re: Re: Tolkien, Kullervo, and Corey Olsen.

Dannigan wrote:
Heya folks!

National Public Radio (npr.org) has an article about Tolkien and his writing of The Story of Kullervo, a dark story I had never heard of, but one that seemed to charm The Professor.

Also, there is a short and thoughtful 2012 article by Corey Olsen called Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit.

As we are members of the Tolkien Society (a fact I have always been proud of), I figured these things, like many things Tolkien, are worth sharing here. =)

Honor and fun,
Dannigan a.k.a. Gori "Mithrilfist" Brightforge =)

Thanks for this link, Dannigan. We brought up Kullervo several times when we discussed The Children of Hurin in the book club. This story was very influential in the Turin tale, though Tolkien made Turin charistmatic and handsome. I chuckled over how he barely passed his exams and switched his field of study :).
Dannigan
Officer

Awarded:

re: Tolkien, Kullervo, and Corey Olsen.

Me too! I also liked how The Professor explained his "wild" attempt at learning Finnish. Such a creative fellow!

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

"No language is justly studied merely as an aid to other purposes. It will in fact better serve other purposes, philological or historical, when it is studied for love, for itself." - J.R.R. Tolkien, English and Welsh (1955)
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien

My Lonely Mountain Band characters include Dannigan (main, 100th-level Human Warden), Briamil (95th-level Elven Rune-keeper), Gori "Mithrilfist" Brightforge (95th-level Dwarven Champion), Mithrilfists (also Gori, 60th-level Dwarven Guardian), and Whittle (95th-level Hobbit Hunter). Far apart, never alone! =)
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> J.R.R. Tolkien All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: