Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
`Tinki`
Officer

re: The next big true rpg?

Baldurs Gate, Baldurs Gate 2, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment; remember any of those? A revival of the genre may be in the works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKoDTzea79Y

https://eternity.obsidian.net/

Forum Image

Master of BOOT,..but otherwise at your service,....And your families.

Eilye
Field Marshal

I remember them!

Allow me to shamelessly plug my related project:

http://www.usoutpost31.com/easytutu

You can pick up BG and BG2 for $10 each from GOG, cheaper if you wait for a sale. Classics!
Aldekim
Officer

All fun in their time

Working together we all benefit ~ Aldekim, Brambel - Lonely Mountain Band ~ Doribolger - Harp and Dragon (LMB alt kin) ~ Athilrond, Ahtook, Nellan, Elye, Sylduril, Nitnoy, Elduryl, Dironen - Clan Etal ~ Kaesy - Lonely Mountain Treasures (Byrdie alt kin)
`Tinki`
Officer

Eilye wrote:
I remember them!

Allow me to shamelessly plug my related project:

http://www.usoutpost31.com/easytutu

You can pick up BG and BG2 for $10 each from GOG, cheaper if you wait for a sale. Classics!

Thats your project!!? Im in shock and awe!

Malornwyn

I've heard of these games, but never had a chance to play them. What did you guys think of the original Ragnorak?

The original creator of Ragnorak made a game called Tree of Savior. As of the moment the servers are only Korean based, but I am looking forward to the launch of the international ones once they have completed them.

Here's a link to a fan page with developer Q&A + other tidbits of information.

http://www.tree-of-savior.com/

...and a link of live gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXBuPMfG5y4

I miss games where you actually had to be smart with your stat, attribute, skill and quest choices or end up having to start all over again or make enough game currency to buy the games most expensive item - a restat scroll. Games where it would take months, if not years, to develop a good character with dedicated game play. Where being active in the community was necessary and trolls not tolerated by anyone. When ever PKers had honor and ganking was frowned upon as a loser tactic. Think we'll ever be there again?
Andeon
Officer

Malornwyn wrote:
I've heard of these games, but never had a chance to play them. What did you guys think of the original Ragnorak?

Ragnorak - was that the vaguely japanime-esque rpg top-down where people would hunt these furry bunny like things all day long and when they killed them they made this adorable squeak?

that's all I remember of the game, if that's the one I'm remembering - had some roommates that would play it, and the mass genocide of the little squeaking things was...disturbing, to say the least - because they were such cheery little squeaks...

you see, first time it happened, I thought someone in the other room was playing with some cute little animal - it made such happy, bright squeaks - so when I wandered in, I found it rather...disconcerting, to realize that they were making that sound when they were being murdered - apparently they were very important to crafting, or farming for low level xp, or something

anyway, I *do* remember it, IF that's the game I'm thinking of - seemed interesting, but the anime-esque sorta 8-bit motif that it seemed modeled after was a bit of a turnoff for me

oh, btw - WELCOME BACK MALORNWYN!!! IT'S BEEN FAR TOO LONG!!!

Yep, that would be the game. Sigh, I know it's a bit twisted to be slaying cute little furry creatures, but it's kind of odd and somewhat satisfying at the same time. Kind of like eating Hawaiian Pizza. The pineapple and Canadian bacon combination just seems oh so wrong for pizza, but one bite and yummmmmmmmmmmm!

Thanks for the warm welcome back Andeon! Even if we're not active in Lotro or on the forums we often find ourselves remembering our friends from LMB with fondness =)
`Tinki`
Officer

I confess I have purchased and have been playing Pillars of Eternity this last week. So many builds so little time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PNH0Ummj_Q

Andeon
Officer

hah...I've also gotten caught up in pillars of eternity. POE - basically everything that was good about baldur's gate 2, but no longer being shackled to the dnd system or world. Which is a brilliant way to do things.

I've got close to 40 hours in already, and currently, no end in sight - which is FANTASTIC!! The new world is just about the right level of grim but not "dark" or "gritty" in an overpowering sense - the game is also pretty good about introducing the nature of this new world in bits and pieces which keeps it from being an oppressive plot exposition download, while still keeping you reasonably well informed about all the new, unique terms.

Character building can be *slightly* frustrating - because the system is new and unknown, you'll have no idea what kind of skills and abilities your characters are going to be eligible for in the future, which can make planning a build somewhat difficult if you don't look up more info on the internet. Just fair warning - if you're the kind of person that likes to make sure that skills you pick now mesh with powers you can get later, you'll want to start doing some research before starting a character.

Game still has "classes", but similar to Elder scrolls online, your class really only determines about 1/4 of your overall available skillset - so, the game is *mostly* skill/feat/trait based, which is kinda nice.

If you like Pillars of Eternity at all, I also highly recommend Divinity : Original Sin. Slightly lighter-hearted world, but overall, very similar - lots, and LOTS of RP opportunity, slightly more flexible character build options, brighter visual style with arguably better graphics - and a very different focus on combat but still effectively turn-based (POE isn't *turn based* combat in a functional sense, but mechanically it really is - it's basically turn based converted to a real-time engine, much like X-Com Apocalypse was, if you ever played that).

anyway, I love both of those games for mostly similar reasons, and highly recommend them to anyone that enjoyed baldur's-gate style games in the past.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: