Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

re: Solve-A-Mystery Sign-Ups -- Actors Needed! - Oct 25 at 4pm

I believe that everyone has the link to their mystery game document. Please contact me if you don't.

If you have any questions that don't include spoilers, please ask them here.
You might not be the only one with that particular question.

I highly recommend putting several versions of your clues into Lyrical ahead of time.
Don't forget to use plenty of emotes and perhaps even /moods to spice things up.

I'm working on decorating the houses now. I'll be doing my best to decorate all the houses in Halloween style. I think that I have all of the wallpapers and floors finished, if you want to take a look. It'll be a few more days before the furniture is in place (the furniture that's there now is left over from the last event). You're welcome to plan an outfit that matches the color theme of the house, or wear anything that you like.

If you get a chance, please take a look at the wallpaper and wall color at the ranch (9 Chestnut, Raglan). Let me know if it's COOL! or ACK TOO MUCH! Thanks! :)

Should I say my lines in /e, /say or /shout?

Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

At some events, I've used /shout and /emotes. At others, I used /say and /regional, with the same output to both.

I can't really say which is better, as I didn't receive complaints either way. (I did get complaints using just /say.)

I'm guessing we should use /shout or /regional, but I'd love to hear everyone's input on which is most widely accepted. BTW, we're in a neighborhood, so we won't spam anyone using /regional.

Awarded:

Morgunith wrote:
Should I say my lines in /e, /say or /shout?

I was planning to use /say and /e inside the house where I will be stationed.
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

The witnesses do need to use /say and /e because we'll end up with a ton of spam otherwise.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if anyone complains about not being able to hear /say, they just need to relog?

Awarded:

My understanding is that the /say bug is solved by walking up close to the speakers/performers. You will see folks pass in front of or behind musicians so that they can then see the /say lyrics.

The relogging is used to combat the raid music bug, where you can't hear each other's instruments during a song (even though the audience can hear them all just fine). This was fixed in a recent update, I believe.

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Here are the primary colors I'm decorating with at each address:
* 3 Garden - Green and orange.
* 4 Garden - Black and gold.
* 3 Fountain - Black and red.
* 7 Chestnut - Purple and yellow/gold.
* 8 Chestnut - Blues.

Awarded:

Someone has asked me the following question:
"Also, will the people interviewing me ask the right questions, or be led to possibly ask the right questions so that I will be able to give my clues in a way that makes sense?"

I'll answer it here for everyone.

What we're trying to avoid is someone who really isn't asking for a question, but for all the answers.

If someone says, "Tell me all of your clues."
You might answer, "How do I know what's useful? You're the investigator. Ask me something specific."

If someone says, "Tell me everything you know."
You might answer, "That could take all night and you don't have that much time. What do you want to know about?"

Each of you has a generic "list" clue. For example, one of you has a clue that lists all of the colors of mask that were worn. If you get a very generic question, you can always fall back to giving that clue as the answer.

If someone says, "Tell me all about the person in the green mask." Now they're on the right track!

Remember, the investigators have ONLY FIVE MINUTES per witness to get all of the clues.

Try to hold out for sensible questions. You'll probably be flooded with questions, so you can pick and choose the best ones to answer. If not, you may have to hand out random clues.

Overall, it's better to give out random clues than no clues at all.

* If someone asks you about a suspect by name: Point out that everyone at the party was wearing a mask, so you're not sure who was behind each mask.
* The Chief Investigator DOES know the name of each person and what color mask they were wearing, but nothing else.
* If the contestant's answer is "the crime was committed by the person in the COLOR mask" instead of by name, I will accept that as a valid answer. I will not accept a guess by a factor other than name or color.

Meanwhile, the Chief Investigator will be giving people tips on how to investigate. The C.I. can remind people to ask specific questions.

C.I. -- Please let people know that they can guess the answer by name or mask color.
If someone asks you to match NAMES and MASK COLORS, you can tell them. Do not tell them anything about other factors.

In addition, the more facts they know about the suspect (instrument, food, pipe weed, and order of arrival), the more likely they are to win. The first three people to give the BEST answers will win. Which is to say, if someone submits their answer with only two correct factors (mask color and food, for example), but someone else later submits an answer with three correct factors, the later answer wins.

So, hopefully this will answer any questions you may have had. Please feel free to ask any questions. Sooner is better, because we'll all be very busy on the night of the event.

Awarded:

I'm a road warden. Is there any special script or costume for me to wear?

Also Sandy Gorseleaf of Clan Etal
Cressley

Kiralynn of Rohan wrote:
Cressley wrote:
I can make it! But I may have to level a Bree character. Unless you could take a human character with a Sindarin name?

Any race, class, and gender is fine. Pick the character you'd most like to bring to a masquerade Halloween party.
Just let me know their name so that I can update the master document. The Chief Investigator will need to know.

I will play my elven alt Meldisse. I'll add her to the kin before the event.
Calycanthus
NoCyg
Officer

Kiralynn of Rohan wrote:
If you get a chance, please take a look at the wallpaper and wall color at the ranch (9 Chestnut, Raglan). Let me know if it's COOL! or ACK TOO MUCH! Thanks! :)

I think it looks nice!
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

ROAD WARDENS: Please dress like rangers or Bree-town guards. Something official-looking would be perfect. It would be fantastic if you all matched each other. Color-match, outfit match, or both would be amazing and help people spot you. I'll leave it to you to pick a great outfit.

During the event, if you'd like, you can patrol the neighborhood mounted at a walk. Your primary job is to help people find each of the houses with a witness inside. You might want to visit the neighborhood ahead of time and familiarize yourself with the houses. Basically, they're in a circle around the water near the ranch. Please stay in-character as much as possible and follow the roads between houses.

Before the event begins, it would be incredibly helpful if one Road Warden stayed in Bree-town, advertising the event's address (9 Chestnut, Raglan) from 3:45pm to 4:05pm. It would also be helpful if another Road Warden would stay in the yard of the ranch, on the edge of the yard facing the entrance to the neighborhood, shooting high-altitude fireworks. This will help people find the right address. Please stand away from the band so that the fireworks don't drown them out, thanks!

Feel free to bring a Halloween costume to change into after the mystery is over. You can wear it to the party and concert that follows the mystery game.

WITNESSES: Feel free to visit the ranch and participate in the auction fund-raiser. I'll let you know when everyone needs to head to their house. Also feel free to help the Road Wardens with advertising and fireworks.

EVERYONE: I haven't finished decorating yet, sorry. I'm hoping to have that done by Thursday morning. Please contact me on the day of the event to join a Fellowship. This will help us stay coordinated. We'll be in a big group with the band, so ignore the music chat. We can drop out of the Fellowship after the mystery game, leaving the band in their own group to play the post-game concert.

Please advertise this event in social media. It's less than a week until the big day!

Thank you again for volunteering!

Awarded:

Many thanks to our solve-a-mystery volunteers! You did a fantastic job.
People are already asking when the next one will be.
We couldn't have done it without you! :)

Congratulations to our solve-a-mystery winners:
1st place -- Winri
2nd place -- Laerlin
3rd plcae -- Ijnar

Well done, investigators!

Now it's time for the big reveal!

Here are all the puzzle pieces...

Clues from Witness 1 - Hollyberye
* The person eating cheese wore the black mask.
* The suspect with Hornblower pipe weed arrived before the smoker of the Dragonsbreath.
* The suspects were wearing masks in the colors of black, blue, green, and red.
* The suspect in the green mask is not guilty.

Clues from Witness 2 - Lilikate
* The person who arrived last did not eat cheese.
* The Longbottom Leaf smoker wore the blue mask.
* The suspects played four different instruments – a flute, harp, horn, and lute.
* Each suspect played music, ate, and then smoked pipe weed.

Clues from Witness 3 - Lindorieh
* The person playing the lute stopped to eat pie.
* The Longbottom Leaf smoker arrived just after the person who wore the red mask.
* The suspects ate different foods at the party – beef, cheese, fish, and pie.
* The person playing the horn favored Hornblower pipe weed.

Clues from Witness 4 - Braxwald
* The person who smoked Old Toby arrived after the harp player.
* The person eating fish arrived after the person wearing the red mask.
* The suspect wearing the black mask carried a plate of sliced cheese.
* The suspects smoked Dragonsbreath, Longbottom Leaf, Old Toby, and Hornblower pipe weeds.

Clues from Witness 5 - Dimfalas
* The person eating cheese arrived immediately after the person playing the horn.
* The suspect who ate pie had played the lute earlier.
* The suspects did not arrive at the same time. Quince arrived first, Liatris arrived next, followed by Corbus and finally Larkspur.
* The thief is either the one who ate beef or the one who played the flute. (One of these two people had the necklace in their hand when they passed by you, but you can’t remember which. You didn’t realize it was stolen at the time.)

Info from Chief Investigator – Stamberey
* The suspects are Quince, Liatris, Corbus, and Larkspur.
* Quince arrived at the party first, Liatris second, Corbus third, and Larkspur last.
* Only one of the suspects is guilty. None of them worked as a team.
* The witnesses are Braxwald, Hollyberye, Lilikate, and Lindorieh.
* The witnesses are located at #7 Chestnut Street, #8 Chestnut Street, #3 Garden Street, #4 Garden Street, and #3 Fountain Street.

And now the solution...

Using clues provided by the witnesses, we were able to determine the following:

Quince arrived first, wearing a green mask. He played a horn, ate a large helping of beef, and then sat down to smoke his Hornblower pipe weed.

Liatris arrived second, wearing a black mask. She played her harp, helped herself to a plate of cheese, and then went outside to enjoy a bit of Dragonsbreath pipe weed.

Corbus arrived third, wearing a red mask. He strummed his lute, ate a slice of pie, and then smoked his Old Toby pipe weed.

Larkspur arrived last, wearing a blue mask. She played a tune on the flute, enjoyed a serving of fish, and then relaxed with Longbottom Leaf pipe weed.

An important clue was given by Dimfalas – The thief is either the one who ate beef or the one who played the flute.

This means that the guilty suspect was wearing either a green or blue mask.

However, Hollyberye told us that the suspect in the green mask is not guilty. This leaves only the person in the blue mask, Larkspur!

Larkspur stole the ruby necklace!

Page 4 of 4

Jump to: