Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

re: Storyteller's Festival -- Sept 13 at 4pm -- Planning Thread

I'm so happy that people are interested in helping to raise money for a worthy charity!

Here is a thread for planning the details of the event. First, the basics...

Storyteller's Festival
Saturday, September 13th at 4:00pm EDT/servertime
Windy Acres Ranch, Raglan, Bree-land Homesteads

A Storyteller's Festival is being held at Windy Acres Ranch - 9 Chestnut Street, Raglan, Bree-land homesteads on Landroval. Artists can compete for the Best Poem, Best Ballad, or Best Spooky Story. The audience votes for the winners. Turbine Points will be awarded to the top three winners in each category. We will also be raising money for the Extra Life charity to support children's hospitals.

About This Event:

Poets, bards, and musicians are invited to gather at Windy Acres Ranch for a festival celebrating the art of storytelling. Meet at 9 Chestnut Street in Raglan, Bree-land homesteads for a social gathering with fine wine, good ale, and excellent pipe-weed. Once everyone has gathered, competitors will make their way out into the neighborhood, finding the perfect location to present their creative work to the audience. The theme is Autumn -- fiery landscapes, falling leaves, and long shadows. The audience will travel through the neighborhood as a group, stopping to hear each performance. Awards will be given for the best presentation in three categories -- Best Poem, Best Ballad, and Best Spooky Tale. The audience will vote for the winners in a very special way.

"Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- Gandalf

We are asking everyone to help raise money for Extra Life, a charity that supports Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. We will be asking you to donate through Rick Heaton's (aka Sapience) drive as a way of saying "Thanks!" for all of his amazing community support. Everyone who donates $25 or more will receive special prizes from Turbine after the drive is over. If we raise enough money, we will all receive exclusive in-game pets!

Vote for your favorite artist by telling the host who should win in each category. If you don't donate, your vote is worth 1 point. If you donate, your vote is worth 1 point per USD you give. We'll assume that you gave $5 unless you tell the host how much you donated, so you can keep it a secret if you wish. The artist that earns the most points wins in each category. The first place artists win 1,500 Turbine Points, second place wins 1,000 TP, and third place wins 500 TP.

After we hear each of the competing artists, we'll return to the ranch, count the votes, and announce the winners. Finally, we'll have an open mic stage where everyone can perform their favorite stories and songs.

Here are the rules for competitors:
1)You can sign up by contacting Kiralynn on the day of the event. There are a limited number of slots available, so please register early.
2) You have 5 minutes to recite a poem, 5 minutes to play a song with lyrics, or 7 minutes to tell a short story. You can include more than one song or poem if time permits. You may be disqualified if your performance runs over the time limit.
3) If we have a large number of competitors, you will only be able to compete in one category.
4) Songs must have lyrics. This is a competition of words, not music.
5) You can recite your poem, lyrics or story in /say, /shout, or /Regional as you choose. (I recommend /Regional.)
6) Performances should have an Autumn theme. This is a very broad theme that encompasses topics such as mystery, shorter days, windy weather, full moons, amber skies, falling leaves, acorns, feasting, apple cider, pumpkins, scarecrows, and the harvest. Be creative.
7) Your performance must be PG-13. Please avoid "leet" speak, abbreviations, profanity, or material which is not suitable for teens.
8) This competition is for solo artists. You can bring friends or multi-box to help with the performance, however, only the person reciting the lyrics, story, or poem will be given a prize code.
9) You can tell your story any one of these five addresses -- 3 Fountain Street; 3 and 4 Garden Street; 7 or 8 Chestnut Street. You can be indoors or in the yard, whichever is the appropriate setting for your performance.
10) You can use a fancy outfit, emotes, held items, fireworks, and so forth to enhance your performance.
11) You must be a good guest. Do not interrupt or interfere with the performance of other artists.
12) You can donate money to Sapience's Extra Life campaign and vote for yourself.

You can find more info on the charity drive here: http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=88974

What we need:
* An ale and pipe-weed vendor.
* A Twitter-poster.
* Someone to live-stream the event?
* Folks to advertise far and wide.
* What else?

So...

What do you think of the description and rules? Is there anything you would change?

Last edited by Kiralynn of Rohan on 2014/11/03 10:34 pm; edited 10 times in total

Awarded:

Due to the schedule of summer events, should we move this up to Saturday, September 13th?

16-24: Bilbo’s Birthday
19 – 21: Tale of the Shipwreck mariner

Awarded:

Good thinking!

Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

Even though neither the Bilbo's Birthday nor the Shipwrecked Mariner events might provide new rewards, it is probably wise to move ours to Sept 13.

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

And so it is moved. Thank you for your feedback. Now we just need volunteers and artists!

Does the event description sound good? Is it easy to understand? Is it fair?

Awarded:

Some suggestions re the rules/description/logistics:

Provide a TL;DR description, perhaps at the very beginning of the post.

Separate some of the info into "for the audience" and "for performers" sections, to clarify. At least for the audience, I think it needs to be clearer that the only way to vote for winners is to donate?

Is the competition limited to solo performers only (i.e., no bands or multi-boxers)?

How to handle late-arrivers, specifically performers? Will you allow them to perform/compete too?

Will there be some sort of town crier to tell arrivers of where each performer is located? Or does the crowd make the rounds once (i.e. each performer only does their routine once, when the crowd arrives at their location)?

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Byrcha wrote:
I think it needs to be clearer that the only way to vote for winners is to donate?

I'm making it 1 point if you don't donate, 5 points if you donate but don't want to say how much, otherwise 1 point per USD you donate. The artists with the most points win.

Byrcha wrote:
Is the competition limited to solo performers only (i.e., no bands or multi-boxers)?

They can multi-box but there's only one prize at each level, for each category. If someone gets their friends to help, only the one person will get the prize.

Byrcha wrote:
How to handle late-arrivers, specifically performers? Will you allow them to perform/compete too?

I'll clarify this. I'd rather have people sign up before the show, but if there is room on the roster, I'll take last minute entries.

Byrcha wrote:
Will there be some sort of town crier to tell arrivers of where each performer is located?

No, we'll make a procession from one artist to the next. Otherwise, they won't be sure to have the whole crowd when they get their 5-7 minute slot.

Awarded:

Forum Image

Forum Image

Forum Image

Awarded:

I have announced this event on Twitter (as WindyAcresRanch), on Facebook (LOTRO's official page), and in the LOTRO "Player Events" and "Landroval" forums. Please share/like the Twitter and Facebook posts. Follow me on Twitter if you like -- I seldom post, so I promise not to spam you. Feel free to comment on the Landroval forums post.

If you make an advertising poster, please share it here. I'd like to re-announce the event in early September with some new art to catch people's attention. I announced this early so that hopefully no one will schedule their event at an overlapping time, so we'll need to remind everyone closer to the 13th.

Awarded:

Serbryt participated in Extra Life last year (and cut off all his hair for it!), and suggested something he could do for the Pieces at Storytellers. He'll be joining Team Turbine and for a donation, people could request any song, and he'll try to come up with an arrangement of it for the Pieces. Sounds like he could be setting himself up for a whole lot of hell to me, thoughts?
Lilikate

Kira I will make a post for this event on LOTRO Players, I think it wise to publish next tuesday. It gives the news team plenty of times to get up to date with the details of the event for the following Saturdays News Show.

I will take all those posters too :)

Awarded:

Bittercress wrote:
Serbryt participated in Extra Life last year (and cut off all his hair for it!), and suggested something he could do for the Pieces at Storytellers. He'll be joining Team Turbine and for a donation, people could request any song, and he'll try to come up with an arrangement of it for the Pieces. Sounds like he could be setting himself up for a whole lot of hell to me, thoughts?

Do you mean, he'll be auctioning off his services, turning any one song request into an ABC file?
If so, he should specify whether or not the auction winner will need to supply the sheet music or MIDI file.
If no sheet music or MIDI file can be found, will he still create the song "by ear"?
The Remediators recently turned the Ben Hur music into ABC for me and we had to buy sheet music. It wasn't cheap!
He'll probably also want to mention in the auction description that it could take several weeks to complete the work.
I think this would make a fantastic auction. I know that I would bid on it!

As for the Storyteller's Festival, he's welcome to compete. He would recite a poem, tell a short story, or play a song with lyrics. Songs and poems must be 5 minutes or less. A short, spooky story is allowed 7 minutes. He would encourage the audience to donate a lot of money to "vote" for him. After all, the artist who raises the most money wins!

Lilikate wrote:
Kira I will make a post for this event on LOTRO Players, I think it wise to publish next tuesday. It gives the news team plenty of times to get up to date with the details of the event for the following Saturdays News Show.
I will take all those posters too :)

Thank you! I'm a little embarrassed at the posters. I didn't think they turned out very well. Use whatever graphics you like.

Awarded:

He wasn't so much thinking of auctioning off his services to the highest bidder, more a on the day make a donation, make a request, X minutes later the Pieces and I play it if he's able to find an appropriate source (or he does it by ear off his keyboard ... much, much, much lower quality from the pieces he has done for me like that!).
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Bittercress wrote:
He wasn't so much thinking of auctioning off his services to the highest bidder, more a on the day make a donation, make a request, X minutes later the Pieces and I play it if he's able to find an appropriate source (or he does it by ear off his keyboard ... much, much, much lower quality from the pieces he has done for me like that!).

Ooooh, I see what you're saying! He's welcome to take requests to play both before and after the competitive segment of the show. Does that sound good?

Awarded:

I'll ask him, likely will be, he's just trying to think of a way he can help :)
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: