Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Sunday Night Sieges
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andeon
Officer

re: Low level GLFF channel (also in postcards subforum thread)

Hey there folks - stumbled across a nice little find from bellcari posted in the "postcards" subforum, the founding of a new, specifically level 65 and under, glff channel - here's a link to the LOTRO forum post

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?527515-The-new-way-to-find-on-level-fellowships-for-all-your-low-mid-lvl-content

I HEARTILY recommend any of our kinmembers, interested in grouping and feeling left out by the often heavy level capped crews that often gather together, to log into this channel, offer your assistance, or speak up with your interests/needs/capabilities. This sounds like an excellent resource, and I hope to integrate it with SNS and all our various other grouping activities so that we can both support it AND benefit from it

for those wondering how, all you need to do to *sign up* for a new channel, is hit *enter* (to activate chat), and type in

/joinchannel (channel name)

for example, to join this particular channel, you would type

/joinchannel lowlvl

instructions and more detailed descriptions are in the linked forum thread

here is the link to Bellcari's thread as well
http://lonelymountainband.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9739831&gid=128176

I'd love to see this resource prosper and thrive, as it sounds like a fantastic way to help give our lower level kinfolk and friends an opportunity to group more often, for on-level instances, which is so very difficult for us to provide currently.

erk...that's what I get for not paying attention. It *appears* that this post appears on the Laurelin RP thread, so this effort may only exist on the Laurelin server.

Still, if you play on Laurelin, it's still a fantastic idea, and even if you don't, it's not a bad idea to copy onto Landroval

I'll see about tracking down some more precise info on this point...but keep the idea in mind, if nothing else...

Just FYI, I tried joining the channel last night. While I was able to join, I was the only one in it. I don't know if it's not really there (but then why could I join??) or if it is there and nobody knows about it.
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Well, if enough people join it, it will exist on Landroval as well.

We really need to petition Turbine to allow us to join more private chat channels and open another window tab...

Awarded:

Talechaser wrote:
Just FYI, I tried joining the channel last night. While I was able to join, I was the only one in it. I don't know if it's not really there (but then why could I join??) or if it is there and nobody knows about it.

The basic chat channels are just virtual connections. They only exist if someone is connected to it. Once all users disconnect, either by logging out or using /leavechannel then the channel ceases to exist until the next time someone joins it. So when you joined it last night you started a brand new instance of the channel with you as the only person connected.

Vulpes_Velox wrote:
Talechaser wrote:

The basic chat channels are just virtual connections. They only exist if someone is connected to it. Once all users disconnect, either by logging out or using /leavechannel then the channel ceases to exist until the next time someone joins it. So when you joined it last night you started a brand new instance of the channel with you as the only person connected.

Oooooo - I should have thrown myself a party! wink But if someone does join the channel and creates it as the sole user, and someone else joins the channel it would work as it should, right? So I guess if more people on the server knew about it/were interested in a low level channel then there should be more participants. ? Anyway, I like the idea as long as it doesn't go the way glff channels usually go.
Andeon
Officer

Talechaser wrote:
Vulpes_Velox wrote:
Talechaser wrote:

Oooooo - I should have thrown myself a party! wink But if someone does join the channel and creates it as the sole user, and someone else joins the channel it would work as it should, right? So I guess if more people on the server knew about it/were interested in a low level channel then there should be more participants. ? Anyway, I like the idea as long as it doesn't go the way glff channels usually go.

exactly - Talechaser has, by searching for the channel, created it. I'm sure there's some kind of temporal causality loop joke that could be made here. Either way, the lowlvl channel has been created (thank you Talechaser), and now all we have to do is get people on to it, and use it in the manner intended.

I think the first part is to post in the lotro forums saying that we're doing the same thing that Laurelin was doing (as it was an excellent idea) - and then, perhaps find a few folks willing to log into that channel regularly to keep an eye and help it along during it's first few weeks. Lastly, we might, since we've created it now, try and establish some guidelines for chat behavior in the channel - opening it to the public, especially to lower level characters, means you will be exposing it to a rather wide array of sensibilities and attitudes - it might be nice to ask people joining the first time to follow a few simple guidelines for topic matter and sensitive language.

this...happened just a tad sooner than expected, so if anyone *wants* to oversee this new channel and effort, I welcome your efforts - otherwise, I'll assume it'll be a group effort by the first few people to log in and use it, and I'll be happy to help join in and provide some structure or advertising or whatever when I find the time...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: