Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caiyyd

Awarded:

re: Warsteed Fun Run/Training Run on Monday!

Tomorrow, Monday the 27th, I will host a Fun Run for warsteeds for anyone interested. Consider this one a training run for the soon to be announced Warsteed Racing season!

The race will be in Ost Gorthad in the South Barrowdowns (35.5S 53.9W) Not too hard a course and the wights seem to like watching folks race, too! :)

Forum Image
Start line will be the two little trees that have managed to grow in such a gloomy place!

Forum Image
The route leads through the standing stones, going between the columns with the capstone on top. There are two of these to ride through.

Forum Image
A hard left after passing though the last set and you will see the circle with a spire in the center. Go in and around the spire with it on your left side (counterclockwise). For an extra challenge here try to exit through the same set of stones you entered in!

Forum Image
Back up to the standing stones and through one more! Head down the mounds to

Forum Image
The last turn!! Another counterclockwise turn and then choose your route back to the trees where the race will end where it started!

As I said, this one is for fun and not for standings or anything other than bragging rights (though I will probably find some small something for the winner!)
I would love to have a judge or two if possible!

I will also be available to help folks with tips on traiting and handling those stubborn steeds!

Edit to add the time - kinda needed I guess :) I was thinking around 3 server time if people are available!
Caiyyd

Awarded:

I am gonna assume that the holiday had folks all busy today.

So I will just keep that race route on the back burner and list here the suggestions I had to assist with warsteed racing.

Agility, agility, agility!! This is what lets you turn faster and with more control. To increase agility:
* use a light warsteed
* run in Riddermark discipline - this adds +100 to your agility!
* bridle is important! There is a minor legacy to add agility AND some of the gems also add agility as well! Every little bit helps!

The other main thing is to practice the route. Learn where you can slide to your advantage, where to let down the acceleration a tad, where the best place to use a slide/stop/turn move is. Even moreso than in a regular race you have to know the course!

One thing I do is the Auto Slowdown option in the Combat options. This means that when I stop pressing the "Go button" (W, mouseclick, whatever) my steed will slowly come to a stop on its own. By releasing and then clicking Go again quickly I can slow just a tad for a closer turn and then speed right back up again.

Hopefully this helps folks a little!
Keli
Keli
Officer

Awarded:

I didn't see a start time on the post

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Sorry yeah, holidays are tough to predict schedules. I hope I make the next one!

Awarded:

Keli wrote:
I didn't see a start time on the post

3 server - I added it yesterday when I realized it wasn't there *headdesk*

I am willing to try later today if folks are available .
Andeon
Officer

hey there Caiyyd - I did see the post and the server time - really *wanted* to try and make it - but I ended up sleeping in till nearly 4pm server time (very busy weekend)

I *also* found myself just *swamped* with my limited amount of LOTRO time all co-opted by spring fest craziness, a random pick-up warband raid, and SNS, along with all my weekend chores - so yeah, in total, while I certainly *wanted* to attend, I just had too many things on my plate this weekend

I am looking forward to hearing about the race if you run it during the week, but I'd really enjoy participating if you run it again this weekend - either way, thank you for the effort, and keep up the good work! I know how discouraging it can be to start a new project, and have really low turn-out initially - makes it hard to keep showing up, but the people will come - you're just fighting springfest for their time and attention, which makes it harder

Awarded:

Yeah, I know it was a longshot but since I had the day off I thought I would try!

Not giving up though! As soon as I figure out what day/time works best for folks I will be posting a 6 race "official" season! (and I hate that I missed a warband wild hunt - LOVE doing those things!)
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: