Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

re: Windy Acres Racing - Year In Review

Windy Acres Ranch has hosted eight major races since the season began. Horses and riders have been tested on a variety of challenging courses from beautiful, rolling green hills to stark, snow-filled valleys. Seven riders have been the first to guide their steeds across the finish line – Andeon, Beorbrand, Byrcha, Craicwyth, Jralyn, Lifebringer and Neiahel.

Forum Image

The season started with the Fellowship Run, a relay race held at Hengstacer Farms in Bree-land. Teams of three galloped across the fields north of the city with special batons, relying on teamwork as much as riding skill. Beorbrand, Lifebringer and Neiahel proved their worth and won the favor of the Valar.

Racing fans traveled to Tinnudir in Evendim for the next race, the High King's Challenge. This long-distance course passed many historical ruins. It also launched Craicwyth's successful career as a racer, adding the first win of many to his tally. Veteran rider Andeon, second rank in the previous season, was narrowly relegated to second place.

The third race began at the Forsaken Inn in the Lone-lands but finished in everyone's favorite city, the secluded elf haven of Rivendell. The longest endurance race of the year, the Rivendell Challenge proved that Shire ponies have what it takes to compete. Byrcha and her dark grey pony Blueberry were the first to arrive at the Last Homely House.

Forum Image

The Shadowfax Sprint saw the return of Lifebringer and swift steed Buck to the winner's circle. The Autumn fields of the Shire were deceptively peaceful and several riders discovered that their horses couldn't handle a course with numerous jumps. Beorbrand's third place finish improved his rank in the rider standings.

The first race of October attracted the bravest riders from around Eriador. The Haunted Derby dared them to pass through the Old Forest into the northern Barrow-downs, taunt the skeletal archers of the Dead Spire, and return to Buckland Faire. The finish was no surprise for racing fans. Andeon rode to victory, followed close behind by long-time rivals Craicwyth and Byrcha.

Despite the intimidating name, the Wraith Race was held in the safety of Raglan, a small neighborhood outside of Bree. Riders dressed as foes of legend galloped down the streets and through the hills. Craicwyth secured a second win with Godwineson keeping up the pressure on both laps.

Forum Image

The Turkey Chase, held in the farmlands south of Bree, surprised racing fans when Jralyn and Riani thundered into first and second place. Caiyyd's determination and training paid off when sable Sovvan took third place. This event's horse show was the first to include war steeds, introducing many new styles of tack to an appreciative audience.

Rounding out the year, the Misty Mountain Classic attracted a large crowd. Despite the heavy snowfall and bitter cold, nearly two dozen racers made the arduous journey to Gloin's Camp. One rider was disqualified, another was dismounted, and a third never returned from the frozen wilderness. Craicwyth secured a win which gave him an impressive lead in the rider standings. Caiyyd's blue roan Windrunner performed well, earning the pair a third place prize.

The top rank in the rider standings is held by Craicwyth, who has earned an impressive 24 points. This beats the previous record of a 19-point season. In second rank, Lifebringer has earned 12 points riding Zephyr and Buck. Andeon and his faithful Annudir are in third rank with 10 points. Byrcha's berry-named ponies have earned a total of 9 points and fourth rank. Beorbrand and Caiyyd are tied at 8 points in fifth rank. With only three races left before the Spring Racing Carnival, there are only a handful of riders who can challenge Craicwyth. They will need to win two of the remaining races and place in a third to steal the championship title.

Forum Image

Up ahead on the calendar, look for the Winter Derby to be hosted at Thorin's Hall on January 16th. This is a medium-length race with dangerous cliffs and stairs. The Firefoot Sprint will be held in Falathlorn on February 13th, along with a talent show. This special event will allow war steeds to participate. The second annual Bywater Steeplechase will be held on March 13th. These races will be followed by six qualifier races. Riders who wish to participate in the Bree Cup Championship race will need to win top three in a qualifier.

Bookies are expecting Andeon, Byrcha, Craicwyth, and Lifebringer to dominate the Bree Cup this summer. With proper training, Caiyyd and Apothecary could be serious contenders. Beorbrand, Jralyn, Galdoreth, Riani and Godwineson may also provide a challenge, depending on how they perform in the SRC qualification races. Last year's Bree Cup champion, Alliman of Budgeford, retired from racing shortly after his stunning victory. This tenacious hobbit proved that wagering on a first-rank rider isn't always a safe bet.

As always, many thanks to the volunteers who make horse racing possible. Hats off to the musicians, checkpoint judges, bookies, town criers, and generous donators. Special thanks to Rick and Seraphina of Turbine for their incredible support. I'll see you at the races!
--------------------------------

Dear Santa...

My name is Andeon, Captain of Men, Man of Dale, and proud Captain of the Guard of the Lonely Mountain Band. I think I've been a very good captain this year. I've slain many spiders, I've led many fellowships into many dark fortresses and flaming gorges and we've bested many an Orc Captain, a Troll Champion, and a...whatever the Watcher is. Yes, not all of our adventures have been victorious, and yes, I've lost more than a few people to the green kool-aid in Carn Dum, but I still think I've been a very good Captain.

I've also taken very good care of my Horse, Annudir. I feed him every day, and walk him, and...ugh...clean up after him. He loves running in the wind, and he loves racing! We love racing! So, I have one very special thing I want for this Christmas...

A horse race on a Saturday! Kiralynn is a fantastic Horse Breeder and Race Leader, but her schedule is is oh so very different from mine, and so she runs many fantastic horse races on days when I can't attend. Because of this, Craicwyth, from across the street, is sad, because she's constantly cheated of having to compete against me, which I'm sure makes her sad, because, being such a great racer, surely she wants the best possible challenge to race against so her victory will be even sweeter, right? Right?

Anyway, if you and Mrs. Santa can manage it, do you think you could send me a Saturday Horse race? I promise I'll be good all year if you do, and re-shoe my horse with silver and gold gilding, and feed him...(er...what's a horse delicacy?) every day! An Apple! I'll feed my horse an Apple every day! (Horses like apples, right?)

Thank you very much Santa! We appreciate everything you do! I believe in you! and thank you for sending us Kiralynn and her horse ranch! They've been a point of great happiness and fun in the world of Middle Earth...*especially* on Saturdays, when I can be there!

Yours Truly

Andeon

(and please get Andeonna something pretty this year - She's a long way from home, and while she *claims* to be happy as a Captain, I'm pretty sure she still likes pretty clothes, which we Captains don't get to wear very often)

Officer

Awarded:

What hours (/servertime) on a Saturday are ideal?

Thanks for responding Santa Kiralynn! Honestly, I've gotten up at 8am my time (11am server time) for horse races, and I'd stay up well past 2am my time (that'd be 5am server time) for such an event!

but, anytime after say 3ish server time is probably *ideal*, as it means I can afford to go to sleep the previous night :)

I know you have a difficult time with Saturday's, Kira, and I'm glad you've found a good strong group of interest for the time slots that work for you - I just wanted you to know that I really enjoy your races, and would love more opportunities to participate myself - but, as always, fit your own needs first! Just...don't begrudge me the occasional desire that your schedule were more like mine, please :)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: