Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

re: WINDY ACRES NEWSLETTER - We want to interview you!

Calling all riders!

I'd like to start adding rider interviews to the bi-weekly newsletters.

Please take a moment to reply to the following questions.
(IC or OOC is fine, just specify which you are doing.)

I will need a screenshot of you (on or with your mount) that is at least 600 pixels wide and 400 pixels high. Please post the URL, the photo, or email it to kiralynn@roll3d6.com

Thank you!

* Who are you and where are you from?

* What is your horse's name and breed?

* What made you choose this horse from your stable above all the others?

* What inspires you to race horses?

* What was your biggest race and what was it like to participate in it?

* How do you train before each race?

* What are your racing strengths and weaknesses?

* What advice would you give to new, inexperienced riders?

* Is there anything else you would like everyone to know about you?

Last edited by Kiralynn of Rohan on 2012/08/01 3:55 pm; edited 5 times in total

re: Re: WINDY ACRES NEWSLETTER - We want to interview you!

((This is an IC interview with Loviisa. Her Westron is a bit rugged. :) ))

- I am Loviisa of the Lumi-väki.

- Many winters have I ran in my homeland. I continue that way in the south, to keep Helleena strong for the coming storm.

- If there are enough moons before the race, I take Helleena to run the long path to Sûri-kylä from the Southlands, although the Elders do not fully welcome my return to home.

- Helleena is her name. She is of the Tunturi Hevonen, the only horses that survive the winters of the North.

- Only her brothers and sisters survive in my home. There is no stronger or faster horse in all the lands of the sivullinen.

- I have lived in the longest winters. There is no land I cannot ride.

- To start your run in the hardest lands. Only there can a rider find courage.

(( Here is a screenshot of Helleena and Loviisa: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7198/6915322750_b33df874c2_b.jpg ))
Dannigan
Officer

Awarded:

I am Dannigan, Warden of the Mark.

Well, know I am not by birth a racer. A few spirited, competitive personalities in my herd have inspired me to race. So... I do this for them. I have battle horses, pack horses, draft horses, and all manner of goats, but some in my herd simply live to ride. They seem to ask me for my hand to guide them. As a son of the Mark, how can I deny my herd family such a reward when they work so hard for me? Hah!

I change our daily habits to make us lighter and leaner. Our diet and exercises vary depending on the course at hand. Turns, sprints, distance riding, it all comes together. I also practice on our teamwork. Most of my herd loves me dearly, and not, I hope, just because I keep them fed and play the music they like! Hah! That trust comes in large part from being together and doing things together, just as it is with two-legged people.

I have a few, but the biggest go-getter of them all is Peanut. He was born in Esteldin among the dutiful Rangers that protect that troubled land.

Well, frankly, I did not choose. After much consideration, I realized it would not have been fair for me to do so. Instead, I made them choose. Six of my herd in particular desired to race, and being the young hot-bloods that they are, I decided to make them race each other for it. Peanut won. The rest of the herd seem to be proud of him, and their respect for him has grown, but I think by winning, he is also jealously-received by two that lost to him. Oh well! Boys will be boys!

Mine? The reflexes and awareness that keep me alive on the fields of battle serve me well on the race course, and I am a great lover of practice. I wish to do my people proud, and Eorl bless me, I give my best, competing only really with myself. Whoever wins the race, I win if I have given my best. However, I know quite well that I am still a young man with all of the weaknesses that entails. Perhaps one day I will be a racer with great experience behind me, but that day has not yet come. And Middle-earth is seeing too much pain for me to put my spear and sword aside to devote myself fully to racing, as much as some in my herd try to convince me otherwise! Hah!

Understand that racing is as much skill as conditioning as it is making wise, sometimes "snap" decisions. Battle and racing hold many similarities, except a race should be done purely for the joy and the self-competition for your own sake of improvement. Know your course, know how to best make your turns, when to jump short, when to jump long, and when not to jump at all. Understand distance and terrain and how best to use it. Oh, and whatever you do, never practice or race while hungry or tired! You will make foolish mistakes as I have done! Oh, dear Peanut was not happy with me on our first practice runs together! Ha ha!

I thank you for your time, lady Kiralynn! Safe riding and fine skies to you and all stout-hearted riders in Middle-earth!

Forum Image

Honor and fun,
Dannigan of the Mark

"No language is justly studied merely as an aid to other purposes. It will in fact better serve other purposes, philological or historical, when it is studied for love, for itself." - J.R.R. Tolkien, English and Welsh (1955)
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien

My Lonely Mountain Band characters include Dannigan (main, 100th-level Human Warden), Briamil (95th-level Elven Rune-keeper), Gori "Mithrilfist" Brightforge (95th-level Dwarven Champion), Mithrilfists (also Gori, 60th-level Dwarven Guardian), and Whittle (95th-level Hobbit Hunter). Far apart, never alone! =)
Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

I am very pleased to meet all of you! I am Byrcha of the Shire. Oh, and if you don't mind, it's pronounced BUR-kah.

Well, last winter when I was riding all over the Shire delivering beer and ale for those layabouts at the Inn League, I discovered that I liked riding! I was even able to fit in a quick side-delivery to Oatbarton without those wizard-timekeepers calling foul. After the Yule festivites ended I decided I missed the thrill of the chase, so now I race whenever I can.

We run the course if it is convenient, but I trust that my ponies will know the way. Otherwise, an apple for my pony and a sensible second- (okay, third-) breakfast for myself is all we need to get ready. Of course we're both famished once the race is over! Oh, we also jump over any and all obstacles I find during my travels to stay in practice: boars, bears, that sort of thing.

Oh my, if I leave one of them out they might get miffed and try to throw me the next time that we ride! I came into a bit of an inheritance and purchased my first pony, a Mathom Society steed, Thunder, which was the pony I used during my Yule Festival duties. Then, as a reward for my service, the Inn League awarded me Tipsy! Alas, Tipsy is most decidedly not a racing pony, as she is always so thirsty. Then, the Eglain were kind enough to give me a discount on one of their sturdy ponies, Speckles. She's my favorite for adventuring! Now that I have finished helping those haughty Wardens up at Tin-oh-dear, I have one of their nice chestnut ponies too: Truffle. Also, there is Sniffles; but I don't ride him except to costume parties or to treasure hunts -- he is convinced that he is a cave claw, yuck!

I had just bought Trusty from my friends at the hunting lodge during the Lonely Mountain Band's 4th Anniversary celebration, since I wanted a Bree pony to ride to the Mega-Concert. I like to support the local merchants whenever I can, and Trusty complemented my new purple dress perfectly. I had a hunch that Trusty would give a good account of herself in the fun-run, having been raised so close to Windy Acres Ranch, and she did!

We can cut a very close corner. Just don't point us towards any cliffs -- there isn't a cliff or chasm that I won't try to jump, though we break so many horseshoes that way!

Don't fall off! It is quite the inconvenience. And hold on to your hat!

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/1QcSe-bVZB76okNSBrU9z9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Floradine
Officer

Awarded:

Hello everyone! *waves and smiles*
I am Floradine Strongfoot and I am from the Shire. I live in Stouting near Michel-Delving.

Well, I visited some races lately sponsored by you, the Windy Acres Ranch and I liked
the excitement of it. At first I thought I would never be able to compete but lately
something remarkable happened: I was in preparations for my birthday party. You know, we
Hobbits usually throw a good party for our birthdays and I was about to bake a lot of
cake and pie. Well for that you would need fruit of course. A lot of fruit. It turned out
my stores weren't enough and I had to go shopping to the market in Hobbiton-Bywater with
my pony Rosie. And there I had to find out that all the grocers were sold-out!
Can you believe that? That is scandalous! Someone bought all the fruits there! No apples,
no strawberries, no blueberries and no... err... sorry. I am getting excited even today
when I only think of it again. Now where was I? Ah, right... I had to ride all the way to
Michel-Delving and visit the market there. And now guess what! The grocers there were
sold out, too! I was so upset, I almost cried! *does wide gestures* How in Middle-Earth
should I now serve pie to my guests?? And then I saw him! *gets upset again* Aaaaaarghh!!

There was that Hobbit-lad with his pony packed full with all sorts of fruits. A lot of fruits!
HEEEEE bought ALL the fruit! This was unbelievable. He went to the stable master and left
his packed pony there and rented a new one and rode off in direction east. That could only
mean one thing: He was shopping tons of fruit for some strange reason and he did not have
enough even he had packed one pony up to the top already! And he was off to Stock - that
was clear now. He wanted to get fruit from the market in Stock! And then it came to me:
If I wanted any fruit today I had to follow him and not only that! I had to overtake and
outpace him! Ohhhh..!! And I gave Rosie the spurs. And I shouted to her: "Run Rosie, run!
This is our last chance to get fruit today!". And of course my Rosie is really smart!
She immediately understood and ran as fast as she could. And soon I was in a real race with
that guy you know! Yes, because as soon as he saw me coming he startet to gallop, too!

We raced all along the way, passed Waymeet and many Hobbits there watched us and they
thought we've gone mad I guess, haha! But still I had to catch up with the guy. It turned
out when we came to Bywater where the steep slope is the pony of that guy got a bit slow.
But not my Rosie! She ran as fast as ever and there I overtook him. But soon the hill went
downwards again and he came real close again because his pony got fast again and even
faster downhill than Rosie! We were side by side and he yelled at me: "Those fruits are mine!".
And I yelled back: "No way, sir! You have to outrun me. But if you want my opinion about
that you will never make it! Run, Rosie, run!" And Rosie ran on and on with me on her
back. We passed Frogmorton and the final part of the race was ahead of us. We were still
almost side by side. His pony was really fast! Then I had an idea! I got out the carrot
I had with me. Originally I wanted to eat that myself on the way but now I made better
use of it. I told Rosie to let the other pony come up to us and so it happened. And in the
moment the pony was aside me, I stuffed him the carrot in his mouth. I saw that he liked
it. And that he got a bit slower while he was munching on that carrot! Ha! The Hobbit lad
yelled and cursed quite some. And I laughed, hahaha!
And so Rosie and I took off and left him in the dust so to speak. We were just only a bit
ahead, but maybe that was enough to get to the grocer in Stock just ahead of the guy.

Just as we reached Stock he was close again and I had to run the last part to the grocers
and quickly buy what I needed. But just as I tried to make him clear what I needed the
Hobbit lad (his name was Greenling by the way) came and yelled that he was about to buy
everything. And so we got in quite an argument. There was an elderly lady coming by and
she looked at us (I saw her only in the corner of my eyes) and shook her head. Then she
asked us why we were fighting. And I told her that I was about to throw a birthday party
and that I wanted to bake pies and cake and needed that fruit. But Mr. Greenling argued
back that he wanted to throw *his* birthday party and *he* needed that fruit *more* than
me. Can you believe that?? How rude!

But then the lady said one very wise thing which taught me a lesson: "Why don't you party
together?" Just as simple as that. And so it came. We made piece again and bought all the
fruit together, baked our pies and then we threw a real big party. It was a blast!

Well.. what was your question again? Ah yes, you wanted to know what inspired me to race.
Yes... Now, that race from Michel-Delving to Stock inspired me. It showed me that Rosie is
a real fast pony, yes! And she demonstrated that again yesterday at the 777 race where we
won the first place! Ha! That was a blast, too!

As the 777 race was our first real race there was no real training except for we tried to
just find the shortest way out of the Old Forest. That was key. I even tried the route
which led near of Old Willow but that route was slower than you would think. That nasty
tree always tries to get you to sleep and thus you are slowed down while fighting the urge
to lay down. And the Barrow-downs are really eerie, too. Not a good route. Bree was
a challenge, too. There were many ways you could go through Bree. But the ones which
seemed to be the shortest weren't really.

Well as I said, her name is Rosie. She is a pony from Esteldin. She is so small she
was of no use for the men there. So when I was there once, I bought her to free her of
her boring life in Esteldin. She liked me at once and since then we are big friends.
She is absolutely reliable. Last month I walked with my sister Glenwin to Michel-Delving
and she told me a story. And we were both so immersed in the tale that we didn't recognize
that we had reached Waymeet already. We would have walked straight on to the Bog if it
weren't for smart Rosie who just stopped at the crossing and refused to walk on. Only then
we looked up and saw that we had to turn left. And then she agreed and followed our
commands again.

Oh. I have no other pony's. I can't afford to have more than one and also there is no
real place for them in my garden. Rosie is allowed by our neighbors to stroll over the
lawns and that is enough for her. But having a larger herd... I guess that would not
be possible.

Well you have to be smart and capable of thinking in unusual ways on how to get from
point A to point B. The 777 race was a good example... We had to go right *through* the
garden of the Brandybuck castle and over some roof-tops to get to the entrance to the
Old Forest. Well, I guess you can do this only once when you live in the Shire...

About weaknesses I can't say much. This was my first race at all and so maybe there *are*
weaknesses but I would need to find out which they are yet.

Think creatively. Think of the not-so-obvious ways for the track you choose. And then:
practice! Practice the track many times so you know each funny root, each stone in your
way exactly. And know how to deal with them: Jump over? Ride around? And there is one
golden rule: The shortest way is always the straight line. Get as close to that as possible.

Here is an image of me on Rosie from the early days. I didn't even have a saddle back then.

Forum Image

Awarded:

Better late than never, here's an interview from Runesdaeg.

Who are you and where are you from?
I'm Runesdaeg Bocstaef of Rohan, though I've lived most my years in the more Western parts of Middle Earth. My home and stable are near Thorin's Hall, and I spend a good deal of my time wandering between Bree and the Shire.

What is your horse's name and breed?
Earthe Upon Earthe is an Eglan horse, I bought him as a foal from the people of Ost Guruth and reared him myself. Though he is nothing like the noble steeds of Rohan, he has been a reliable companion on many long journeys.

What made you choose this horse from your stable above all the others?
When I first began racing, Earthe Upon Earthe was my only horse and so I of course raced with him. I have since acquired many more horses; some faster, some younger, some more expensive and some prettier, and I could race on a different horse, but Earthe is my darling.

What inspires you to race horses?
I'm from Rohan, horses are in my blood.
Despite this, however, I'm not a natural at racing. My ideal sort of riding is a bareback sightseeing tour though a trackless wood in search of forgotten ruins.
Racing in itself is great fun, but I don't race to race and win, I race to spend an afternoon with friends. Winning a race isn't something which happens very often for me; it's for the best that I don't mind coming in last.

How do you train before each race?
I run the entire track several times, backwards and forwards, until both I and my horse have it memorised. Running a track backwards forces you to go around cliffs instead of dropping directly off of them and shows you bridges from both ends. Seeing the track from the wrong angle can work wonders in giving you ideas for shortcuts.

What are your racing strengths and weaknesses?
My greatest strength is probably the fact that I can ignore my fellow riders and pay attention to nothing but the course and my own horse. If I see another rider taking a path I did not think of, I waste no time considering if perhaps he has a better idea, but stay to my own course.
My weaknesses are cliffs and bridges. Anything on the path that could dismount me or make my horse limp will find a way to do so. Cliffs will loom up suddenly where my path was smooth, water will spring up and flood me off of bridges, badgers will leap out of the brush and nip at Earthe's hocks.

What advice would you give to new, inexperienced riders?
Figure out the track yourself and find the shortest way between the checkpoints on your own. Don't rely on other racers to give you specific pointers about a particular course (they'll gladly share their general thoughts on racing, but they're not going to tell you about their secret shortcuts between checkpoints).
((OOC: steer however you're most comfortable, be that arrow keys, WSAD, mouse or a combination. If you try to use an unfamiliar way of steering, you'll be concentrating on that instead of on the course. When you log on the day of the race, run over the general area of the course to be sure everything has loaded. If you sometimes have trouble with lag, go into advanced graphics and turn your textures down and your frill distance off or down, but leave the object and landscape draw distances as high as you can, it's better to see a pixely checkpoint off in the distance than to have a nicely rendered one spring up beneath your feet.))

EDIT: The screenshot, as promised
Forum Image

Who are you and where are you from.

I am Tinki and I come from the area of Frogmorton, Shire originally. Presently residing at 1 Pleasant St Oldfurlong.

What is your horse name and breed.

Treat is the name of my most oft used pony. She is a Fall Festival aquisition. Here is a rendering of me working with Treat the first day I got her. A most spirited pony!
Forum Image

What made you choose this horse from your stable above all others.

Now that would depend on what I am wearing! If I wear yellow or purple, Treat is my choice. I do like to wear yellow. I try to match my outfit with saddle and adornments. As for my stable of ponies, I try to give each one equal time which means I have to change clothes a lot.

What inspires you to race horses?

Because Im fast in the saddle! And I look great whilst racing too! Not only can I ride like the wind, I can win a fashion contest at the snap of the finger. I stumbled upon racing after a certain opportunity arose in Michel Delving. Here is another rendering showing just how fast Treat could be. It seems after leaving Tuckburough late one afternoon I overheard a conversation in Waymeet about free pies being passed out by the mayor. Once that news filtered into my head it was all out! I arrived in record time and got my pie steaming hot. I realized Treat was a winner fer sure!

Forum Image

How do you train before each race?

My secret which will no longer be a secret,... is to give my steed a gulp or three of Honeybrew ale when no one is looking just before post time. Of course thats for the pony, I give myself ample time to to quaff a slice of peach pie with a tea wash. I never let myself nor my pony race hungry!

What are your racing strengths and weaknesses?

I did mention that I look fabulous on any of my ponies? I fully intend to practice any course I am entered in. My pony and me just seem to bond in an amazing way when we are both focused. My weakness in racing is when we have to ride in swampy or wet areas. Not only can I get dismounted, I can ruin a perfectly grand outfit.

What advice would you give to inexperienced riders?

Dress for the occasion! You never know when a fashion contest will show up!
Color coordinate your ride!
Do NOT race with a top hat! It will blow off yer head.
Keep yer mouth closed whilst racing. I have swallowed many bugs when I have forgotten this rule.
Treat yer horse like you want to be treated. Feed it often.

Master of BOOT,..but otherwise at your service,....And your families.

Kaerri
Kaerri
Officer

Awarded:

re: Re: WINDY ACRES NEWSLETTER - We want to interview you!

Eliwren, shieldmaiden of Rohan!

Saydrie is a Blonde Sorrel horse.

Saydrie is my only mount, though I dress her up for various events. She is my best friend!

Saydrie and I love to run! And it's all the better when running with a group. I like to race because it's a time for each horse and rider to put forth their best efforts as a pair.

Saydrie and I are always running, so we're pretty set as far as physical training. Mentally, I like to go over the course beforehand if I can, and watch for potential tricky bits. Just running the course by yourself a few times can be a big help!

Strengths - attention to the course and what's required of me to run it
Weaknesses - Well, I don't usually much care if I win so long as I have fun, so I may not always push as hard as I might!

Have fun! Really, despite saying it's a weakness, I think that's the most important thing. If you're stressing too much over what you're trying to win, that can be as bad as not trying to win at all! Also, go over the course ahead of time whenever possible. I've seen that little bit of familiarity make a big difference in the race!

((Aah, forgot a picture, but I think I don't have one I want. Logging in to get one now!))
EDIT: Picture link!

Officer

Awarded:

I am still interested in more rider interviews. If you have raced, please feel free to respond to the questionnaire in the first message. I also need a good screenshot of you, either with a horse/pony or riding one. It must be something that I can crop/resize to 600 pixels wide by 400 high. (Bigger is fine, not smaller please.)

I still need screenshots for Narania and Eryngil. If your name is on this list, please post or email a screenshot to kiralynn@roll3d6.com -- If you need me to take a screenshot for you, please try to catch me online during in-game day. (Some of you already sent images but they were far too small, sorry!)

Jump to: